NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

Yeah it does, a taller person will need more calories than a smaller person.

The link that @Raining_again posted up tells you what you need.

In terms of money for good food, I feel your pain! I always find that it costs far too much to be able to afford quality food the whole time. I buy bags of frozen veg because they last for ever pretty much. Health experts regularly debate if they are better or worse than fresh veg but I work on the theory that they must give some benefit and definitely are not bad for you.

I'm actually trying to ditch chips/potatoes with meals and instead just put LOADS of veg on the plate.

Another point worth noting is that there are good calories and bad calories! If you eat McDonalds every day but only 1000 calories of it that is in no way going to make you healthier.

Edit - Talking of food, its 12:40.... Might hold out another 20 mins.

I hear you. Fruit is so expensive. There's a bit of irony in the fact that all the unhealthy stuff is cheaper, and all the healthy things that your body needs (fruit + veg) are more expensive.

Does that calorie amount differ from person to person depending on their size and build? I'm not exactly tall, but I've gained in width over the years thanks to discovering the wonders of chicken and working out. Money and time makes it pretty hard though to get up to that calorie limit. At times, I feel like I'm over eating when I do that.

Yeah i'd imagine it would, the heavier you are the more your body would need but you'd also burn more off doing everyday things as your muscles would be larger than average.

That's one of the harder things about trying to gain weight, or muscle as it normally is. People automatically think eating so much is great but eating every few hours is difficult when you've got a full time job and Chicken loses it's appeal pretty quickly.

I tried that TDEE test, and it gave me the number 3582 a day ?

i only put 3-5 days on excercise even tho i usually do at least 30 mins every day

usually my gym session burns arounf 600-700

then i must burn around another 100 in my evening cycle

Saw a youtube video about the space bar, and it said that kg x 0.02 = calories burnt per minute if the day is averaged out. I weighed in at 73kg fully clothed (I cannot recall the state of my bowels, unfortunately :P) so that's over 2k calories to run this stallion chassy. Indeed.

Of course, last time I weighed myself I was notably more kg, but almost certainly not as lardy as I am now, so it's probably more just testament to the shit scales, really.

Yeah i'd imagine it would, the heavier you are the more your body would need but you'd also burn more off doing everyday things as your muscles would be larger than average.

That's one of the harder things about trying to gain weight, or muscle as it normally is. People automatically think eating so much is great but eating every few hours is difficult when you've got a full time job and Chicken loses it's appeal pretty quickly.

Eating a lot of food throughout the day is difficult. I've resorted to taking my protein shake to work along with fruit and some healthy snacks. Quite often I've taught a lesson whilst eating bits of orange, heh.

I've done some skipping today, about 20/25 mins worth. Will probably do some more later on. Want to do some chest work but my triceps are a bit sore still from day before yesterday.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Breakfast, protien shake + an apple 210 calories

hour in gym burnt around 500 today, got home then had lunch

scrambled egg on toast about 250 calories

am i eating enough so far? i plan to make dinner around 6.30 and aim for 500 calories healthy food,

then a late snack about 9pm prob abouy 150-200 calories like a bowl of all bran.

i hope im doing this right

Edited by yesteryeargames

scrambled egg on toast about 250 calories

Eat whole grain. In Denmark, we have this fantastic kind of bread called rugbread:

klassisk-rugbroed-2.jpg

It's a lot healthier than any kind of "white" bread you can find, even though it has around the same amount of calories.

By white bread I mean something along these lines

toast.jpg

or a bit better but not still as good:

sondagsfrokost-brod-ddc1242e10874aac90b10f7c4acec4e0__b468m.jpg

Also, eat some vegetables with that scrambled egg. Some broccoli and some paprika/carrots and tomatoes.

By paprika I mean this beast:

peberfrugt.jpg

It does add some calories (perhaps 70 kcal) but also good vitamins and I promise you they won't make you gain weight.

I tried that TDEE test, and it gave me the number 3582 a day ?

i only put 3-5 days on excercise even tho i usually do at least 30 mins every day

usually my gym session burns arounf 600-700

then i must burn around another 100 in my evening cycle

You must have put the info in wrong? Did you check you had the right weight type selected (kg/lbs)

I normally would just stick in sedentary and add on the calories manually (with a hr monitor, it tells you exactly what you've burned for each session).. its far more accurate that way

flinky, you'll probably need more calories if you are muscle dense, but its very hard to estimate.. more of a trial and error as everybodies *real* tdee is different, but that's a good basis to start from.

If you're eating clean (which I guess you are) then your body will probably tell you if it needs more. For someone that's body building its far more important to eat regular protein than exactly how many calories you're putting in

Started cycling again. Been about 4 times and I'm already close to my old fitness. Not bad considering I hadn't cycled regularly for about a year or two beforehand.

I think the secret to my diet is this.

quaker_oats_with_logo.jpg

Oats.

I didn't realise how much you could do with the stuff. You can put anything in them, from honey to vegetables with a curry OXO cube. Literally thousands of recipes sweet or savoury, and everyone bowl is filling with low calories, fat, sugar, salt etc.

Edited by Caris

Yup, I thought it sounded weird and then I tried it, twas amazing. Used water not milk obviously.

I also made a bowl with a chicken OXO cube, cajun spices and roasted vegetables in it. Little chilli power on the top to garnish, again was lovely and super, super healthy.

Edited by Caris

This BMR Calculator tells you the amount of calories you'd burn if you just stayed in bed all day. So it's kinda like @Raining_again's minus the exercise.

Last night I went out running with a guy that I thought was going to be rubbish. He was amazing and didn't even know it. We basically started out at a sprint (for me), and then at the end of 3.1 miles (tracked it on my phone) he said "Oh I thought that was just about 2 miles, I've done that in 17 minutes before." I was so annoyed.

If you're eating clean (which I guess you are) then your body will probably tell you if it needs more. For someone that's body building its far more important to eat regular protein than exactly how many calories you're putting in

I'm eating pretty clean at the moment, yes. Thinking about everything that's going in. I wouldn't say I'm bodybuilding at all, rather just watching myself and seeing if I can get into shape. Looking back at old photos of myself, I see a positive difference with my arms, shoulders and back in particular. It's about being healthy more than anything, and seeing if I can get that balance right between work, working out, home-life, and other fun stuff. So far, it's good.

I think the secret to my diet is this.

quaker_oats_with_logo.jpg

Oats.

I didn't realise how much you could do with the stuff. You can put anything in them, from honey to vegetables with a curry OXO cube. Literally thousands of recipes sweet or savoury, and everyone bowl is filling with low calories, fat, sugar, salt etc.

Yeees. I love oats. A big one that I'm doing at the moment is mixing two sachets with 180ml of milk, and putting that into a frying pan. It becomes a pan-cake, which I share with Ine. You could have one to yourself, but it's better to share it. So, so nice.

I may try that!

I'm getting better at skipping and feel myself getting fitter. Only problem is that my current rope is shiiiiiiiite. It broke! It has broke quite a few times and I'm doing a botched job by tying the rope together. It pretty much wore in the middle of the rope and just came apart. As a result, it means the rope is shorter, and it doesn't really clear my head and body now. Worked fine but I think today was just one re-fix too far.

Anybody else jump rope/skip?

I may try that!

I'm getting better at skipping and feel myself getting fitter. Only problem is that my current rope is shiiiiiiiite. It broke! It has broke quite a few times and I'm doing a botched job by tying the rope together. It pretty much wore in the middle of the rope and just came apart. As a result, it means the rope is shorter, and it doesn't really clear my head and body now. Worked fine but I think today was just one re-fix too far.

Anybody else jump rope/skip?

I tried it a few times a couple of months ago...

I was surprised about how quick I was out of breath (once I got the hang of getting a rhythm going!).

Had to look for this thread all the way on page 3! No one working out/trying to shift some weight anymore?

Jim and I have been doing pretty well on our diets. Like we said before, we have cut out pasta, rice, bread etc., apart from a few off days/meals where we allow ourselves to have something a bit naughty.

In 4 weeks time, I have managed to lose 3.6 kg or about 8 pounds, whoo! Pretty happy with that, even though I don't really notice the difference yet heh. I'm hoping I can stay on track and lose another 8-9 kg to hit my ideal weight.

Also, this has been done without me doing any real exercise. I have been ill and had to work evening shifts, so hadn't had time to go to the gym except for 1 day in these 4 weeks. So hopefully when I get to go again, losing weight will be even easier! =)

@Eenuh

Being ill is the best way to lose weight! I was ill over Christmas, couldn't eat, nothing would stay in me. Dropped a few kilos noticeably around my core.

@Eenuh

Being ill is the best way to lose weight! I was ill over Christmas, couldn't eat, nothing would stay in me. Dropped a few kilos noticeably around my core.

Probably not the healthiest way to lose weight though. =P

I only had a bad cold/headache/cough/sore throat. I still ate about the same I do on other days so it didn't influence my weight much. It just meant I couldn't really go to the gym because I wasn't feeling well enough heh.

The last two days Jim and I have been eating quite badly, so I expect the weight to be up again. But it's been that way every weekend so I'm sure I can shift it again by being good during the week. =)

I started going to the gym in June. Never set foot in one before. Been doing a mix of cardio and weight/resistance training. I'm ridiculously unfit but I'm determined to keep going. I usually spend about an hour and a half in there four or five times a week - normally 3 miles run on the treadmill, 2 miles on the rower, as well as plenty of the resistance stuff. I try to eat sensibly too. I have the odd meal out, but I cook pretty healthily most nights and don't have takeaways or McDonalds.

And I've lost a grand total of....nothing, nada, zilch! I'm still the same weight I was before I started going. I'm not really bothered though - I feel a lot better for the changes I've made, both physically and mentally so the lack of weight loss, though a bit annoying, is hardly soul destroying.

Who cares about a number on a scale if you feel better about yourself?

^I like what you say.

Since I stopped smoking I've noticed an increase in fitness. Noticed that I can walk farther up the hill home before I start panting. I go on 12k walks once (twice if lucky) a week, the second half of the trip with around 5kg, if not more, strapped to my back.

I keep reading and seeing about all the benefits of running. I went out on a run a couple of times as a smoker 7 months ago and did dreadful, but the thing is my retinal detachment means I'm really scared to run. It sounds silly but after a run (even during) my vision gets really bad, and some of the detachment symptoms appear. I keep meaning to set up the bike indoors (got one of those stabiliser thingies to turn a regular bike into an exercise bike) and cycle away to a film. Then I think I'll end up with massive legs but no upper body strength!

Fear is what stops me. I need to go get my eyes checked/sorted out but can't do that (v. expensive in Oz), so I've got a lovely excuse.

I eat really well (though could cut down on crisps) and I weigh about 11st/70kg, I just think I'm rather bleh.

^I like what you say.

Since I stopped smoking I've noticed an increase in fitness. Noticed that I can walk farther up the hill home before I start panting. I go on 12k walks once (twice if lucky) a week' date=' the second half of the trip with around 5kg, if not more, strapped to my back.

I keep reading and seeing about all the benefits of running. I went out on a run a couple of times as a smoker 7 months ago and did dreadful, but the thing is my retinal detachment means I'm really scared to run. It sounds silly but after a run (even during) my vision gets really bad, and some of the detachment symptoms appear. I keep meaning to set up the bike indoors (got one of those stabiliser thingies to turn a regular bike into an exercise bike) and cycle away to a film. Then I think I'll end up with massive legs but no upper body strength!

Fear is what stops me. I need to go get my eyes checked/sorted out but can't do that (v. expensive in Oz), so I've got a lovely excuse.

I eat really well (though could cut down on crisps) and I weigh about 11st/70kg, I just think I'm rather bleh.[/quote']

Fear not about having massive legs, that won't happen. Any type of cycling is great cardio wise and although you will improve your leg muscles, you won't need new socks anytime soon.

I started going to the gym in June. Never set foot in one before. Been doing a mix of cardio and weight/resistance training. I'm ridiculously unfit but I'm determined to keep going. I usually spend about an hour and a half in there four or five times a week - normally 3 miles run on the treadmill, 2 miles on the rower, as well as plenty of the resistance stuff. I try to eat sensibly too. I have the odd meal out, but I cook pretty healthily most nights and don't have takeaways or McDonalds.

And I've lost a grand total of....nothing, nada, zilch! I'm still the same weight I was before I started going. I'm not really bothered though - I feel a lot better for the changes I've made, both physically and mentally so the lack of weight loss, though a bit annoying, is hardly soul destroying.

Who cares about a number on a scale if you feel better about yourself?

You body fat percentage has probably changed though. If you are doing resistance, what you've lost in fat yo may have put back on in muscle.

For what it's worth, exercising for anything over an hour doesn't carry much benefit; 45 mins to an hour is usually seen as where the maximum benefits are. Few extra 30 minutes there for you to do something else with!

Eat whole grain. In Denmark, we have this fantastic kind of bread called rugbread:

klassisk-rugbroed-2.jpg

I love brown bread, just got so much more flavour than white! That stuff look really nice. Never heard of it!

Edited by madeinbeats