NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

I have a longer-than usual weekend due to lack of classes, and want to do a juice fast. Any tips? Experiences?

MASSIVE GYM N00B ALERT

Hey fitness freaks. As part of my 'Big Lifestyle Change' I've decided I'm going to start going to the gym. I don't exactly want to get massively ripped or buff, just obtain and maintain a kind of athletic/toned/defined build with a bit of muscle. Or something :heh:

So...anybody got any hints? Like how much I should work on muscles/do cardio or perhaps even if I should start with stuff like the protein shakes that I hear all the cool kids use? Help is much appreciated, kind users of N-E.

Oh and since this is fitness I suppose I can fit in my quitting smoking progress in here too (the other part of 'BLC'). Just for context I've been a smoker for about 15 months now and it started at about 5 a day and recently has reached 10-14 a day. Hardly the longest or the heaviest smoker ever but still, I want to quit. Going to try and cut down and then go cold turkey when I next run out of cigarettes/bacci. My goal is to have quit (at least be over the 3 day hump) by April 10th. Here's hoping it all goes well :)

Edited by ipaul

MASSIVE GYM N00B ALERT

Hey fitness freaks. As part of my 'Big Lifestyle Change' I've decided I'm going to start going to the gym. I don't exactly want to get massively ripped or buff, just obtain and maintain a kind of athletic/toned/defined build with a bit of muscle. Or something :heh:

So...anybody got any hints? Like how much I should work on muscles/do cardio or perhaps even if I should start with stuff like the protein shakes that I hear all the cool kids use? Help is much appreciated, kind users of N-E.

Oh and since this is fitness I suppose I can fit in my quitting smoking progress in here too (the other part of 'BLC'). Just for context I've been a smoker for about 15 months now and it started at about 5 a day and recently has reached 10-14 a day. Hardly the longest or the heaviest smoker ever but still, I want to quit. Going to try and cut down and then go cold turkey when I next run out of cigarettes/bacci. My goal is to have quit (at least be over the 3 day hump) by April 10th. Here's hoping it all goes well :)

The best thing that you could do if you have little idea what you're doing is to join a gym where you get a free induction a free training programme made up. Failing that, pay for one. It'll be really worth it as the PT will be able to show you exactly what to do and exactly how to use all the equipment. The worst thing to do is go in and use everything incorrectly as you won't build any muscle at all and risk injuring yourself.

When I first started I went with a friend who was really into it who showed me the ropes. After a while I started copying what other people did (and asking them, occasionally) and building up a programme for myself.

I felt that for the first few months rather than concentrating on a specific area of my body in a workout I'd just do my whole body and that worked well for me. So I'd push myself really hard on a bicep exercise, then move onto to chest, then tris, then back etc etc.

I've actually started doing this again recently as I'm working my way back into it whilst playing a lot of tennis and I'm feeling benefits of it. I'm working on doing everything with free weights as it's a lot better for you (but much more tricky, if you're not sure what you're doing, use the machines!) and loving it at the moment.

@Charlie, I remember you saying AGES ago that you did p90x and it's something I'm gonna start doing as of next week when I go back to my Uni flat.

How did you get on with it? Were the results good?

@Charlie, I remember you saying AGES ago that you did p90x and it's something I'm gonna start doing as of next week when I go back to my Uni flat.

How did you get on with it? Were the results good?

I did it for about 2 weeks and then stopped because there was one day I was hungover and couldn't be bothered doing it. I didn't get back into the routine afterwards. I was also struggling for space in my bedroom and didn't have free weights.

From what I did it seemed to be really really good though. Incredibly tough, you really need a lot of motivation to do it. Doing just the weights isn't enough, you need to do the other parts as well AND eat loads of good food.

@Charlie What is this routine?

P90x is a workout which can be done from home (though you'll need a good set of weights and a mat). It's very intense and combined with a good diet it can get you into incredible shape. You basically have to set aside 60-90 minutes every day to do it and each day the workout is varied. For example, one day it might focus on yoga, the next might be arms and back, then core and legs etc. There's some great videos on youtube of people showing a picture of themselves over the 90 days and the difference is ridiculous.

I've just downloaded the dvds (was too skint to buy them) and from the looks of it, it's pretty intense. Essentially, the workouts seem to be the type of thing you SHOULD be doing at the gym on a daily basis but many don't. It seems like it's going to be pretty easy to follow and the sheer amount of exercises available is crazy.

I'm going to start next week. Will keep you guys updated with progress.

I'm going to start next week. Will keep you guys updated with progress.
Sounds good!

So what size weights are you using, and is that the only equipment (and the mat) that you need to be able to do such varied routines?

I've never been able to do a pull up unless I get a little jump in first. But today, for the first time ever, I was able to do one and even two from a dangling position. Woo!

Sounds good!

So what size weights are you using, and is that the only equipment (and the mat) that you need to be able to do such varied routines?

I've got 2 8Kg ones and 2 6Kg ones, I don't I'll need anything heavier and if I do, I'll do that after I've finished P90x and am at the gym.

Yeah that's all you need, other than a resistance band/chin up bar. I'd consider giving it a go :)

I've got 2 8Kg ones and 2 6Kg ones, I don't I'll need anything heavier and if I do, I'll do that after I've finished P90x and am at the gym.

Yeah that's all you need, other than a resistance band/chin up bar. I'd consider giving it a go :)

Yeah you don't need heavy weights. Your form is the most important thing. It's seriously tough so start with light weights. Ensure you record everything you do too.

@Diageo

I've been working on pull ups recently using the assisted machine. Managed to get my assistance down from being able to 3 x 10 at 40kg to 3 x 10 at 25kg in about a month. I'd never really done them before but I'm really working on my back and found out they're really good for it.

And I've just done an unassisted one for the first time ever on my pull up bar. Did one, rest, two, rest, three. Pretty pleased!

For those of you interested in P90X, there's also another workout that's equally as intense and I can vouch that it gives good results. Someone on here advised be to use it and it's very good but unfortunately, I was a little on the heavy side but now I'm going to start doing it again tomorrow.

Anyway, the workout is Insanity by Shaun T. I tried using it when I was about 18 stone but it put a little bit of strain on my shin so I stopped. However, now that I've been doing running and things like that and now that I am 16 stone and 13 pounds, I'm going to give it another shot because it really is a great workout.

Here's a video:

Yeah you don't need heavy weights. Your form is the most important thing. It's seriously tough so start with light weights. Ensure you record everything you do too.
Cheers!

I have 2x 5kg weights so I'll just go with those.

I think this will be a project for me to start in a few weeks after Uni's done with.

So where do I find out information on this, just Youtube it to find the routine(s)?

Cheers!

I have 2x 5kg weights so I'll just go with those.

I think this will be a project for me to start in a few weeks after Uni's done with.

So where do I find out information on this, just Youtube it to find the routine(s)?

The workout is meant to be bought; it's on Amazon and the likes. I couldn't find it on YouTube, only videos of other people doing it.

2 x kg might be quite light, especially when it comes to doing chest work. Although obviously it's completely dependent on what weight you normally use.

Yeah you're meant to buy it. It's around £100 i think for the dvds and a nutrition plan. I've already got a really good nutrition plan though and I managed to use torrents to get the work out videos. Excited.

I feel pretty big at the moment, in a good way. I've weighed myself a few times this week (just to make sure) and have noticed that I have put on 5kg. One of the gym instructors also noticed during the week when I was signing in saying that I've put on some more size, which is good to know.

Deadlifting has helped with that, I think. Killed myself doing those yesterday.

Pulled a muscle in a highly unusual place, never ever pulled there. I was doing spiderman & T-pressups and the plank and seem to have pulled one on the right side of my abdomen. Very weird feeling and hurts to take a deep breath. Hope it's a pulled muscle anyway! Ouch!!!

Pulled a muscle in a highly unusual place, never ever pulled there. I was doing spiderman & T-pressups and the plank and seem to have pulled one on the right side of my abdomen. Very weird feeling and hurts to take a deep breath. Hope it's a pulled muscle anyway! Ouch!!!

Get better soon! Sounds painful :/

@Dazz, just wondering how your workout is going? That video you posted makes it look pretty intense, how you holding up buddy?

So I've started p90x and am loving it. Currently at the end of my first week but can already tell I'm going to get good results with this. Abs and legs in particular are absolutely aching but it'll be worth it in the end. The one thing that is effort is watching my diet and having to buy quite a lot of food...once my student loan comes in it should be fine but I'm getting close to red in terms on my bank account :(

Anyway, it's a solid workout and I thoroughly recommend it (so far). I'll post updates every twenty days or so showing progress.

@Dazz, just wondering how your workout is going? That video you posted makes it look pretty intense, how you holding up buddy?

So I've started p90x and am loving it. Currently at the end of my first week but can already tell I'm going to get good results with this. Abs and legs in particular are absolutely aching but it'll be worth it in the end. The one thing that is effort is watching my diet and having to buy quite a lot of food...once my student loan comes in it should be fine but I'm getting close to red in terms on my bank account :(

Anyway, it's a solid workout and I thoroughly recommend it (so far). I'll post updates every twenty days or so showing progress.

Diet's a killer. It's the make or break part, in my opinion. And, it's just as demanding as the actual workout, in a different kind of way. Moreso on the wallet. Trying to buy fruit and veg, chicken and stuff, not easy. It might be worth investing in some protein shakes as they can be decent value for money.

Diet's a killer. It's the make or break part, in my opinion. And, it's just as demanding as the actual workout, in a different kind of way. Moreso on the wallet. Trying to buy fruit and veg, chicken and stuff, not easy. It might be worth investing in some protein shakes as they can be decent value for money.

Yeah i'm always on the protein whey! Couple of scoops+a large glass of semi skimmed milk+ a banana....HEAVEN after a workout. I also take kre-alkalyn which is brilliant. Got protein cookies on the way too for a snack during the day.

Man, I love workout out but my legs are damn week! Defo my weakpoint...couldn't even make the full 30 minutes of leg work outs but I'm def getting there. I used to be about to squat about 120Kg over summer but haven't worked out since then...just about getting them used to being pushed.

Yeah i'm always on the protein whey! Couple of scoops+a large glass of semi skimmed milk+ a banana....HEAVEN after a workout. I also take kre-alkalyn which is brilliant. Got protein cookies on the way too for a snack during the day.

Man, I love workout out but my legs are damn week! Defo my weakpoint...couldn't even make the full 30 minutes of leg work outs but I'm def getting there. I used to be about to squat about 120Kg over summer but haven't worked out since then...just about getting them used to being pushed.

Leg workouts are for the devil. Wipes me out afterwards in a way no other exercise does. It's intense. Almost sexual.

There's only one word to describe it: OW!

Basically, I've done it every morning like it says and today was my rest day. It's like heavenly when I do it but at the same time, I hate it. It's like I love to hate it and I hate to love it. I'm coping better than I did last time but I can still feel my calves aching like shit again. I'll post some progress pictures soon. I also need to start writing on my weight loss blog again. I keep on writing and forgetting to post.

Yep agreed with flink, its about 20% exercise and 80% diet.

eating high protein is a seriously expensive diet - tuna, eggs, meat, veggies, protein shakes, pretty much the most expensive food you can buy.

I've tried to actually fill my quota with protein (its a lot cause i'm a bit heavier) and its really tough to do weight in kg x 1g protein in a day whilst STILL eating under calories enough to lose weight, and its a real balancing act!

That's something I struggle with, the exercise to diet ratio. I need to get my head around allowing myself treats, i'm so regimented with eating nothing bad that I tend to fall off the wagon big style when I do. It's the same with Exercise, I walk 5 miles to and from work every day whilst spending all day on my feet at work. I'll then either go to the gym or run at night. Couple that with barely 5 hours sleep a night and it's no wonder I tend to fall of the wagon so often. My overall problem is lack of patience, I'm too concerned with seeing instant results even though I know it doesn't work that way.

When I just not eating a lot when losing a lot of weight last year I found that treats or the odd blow out actually helped me, as I wasn't exercising at the time it seemed to almost 'wake up' my metabolism when I hit a rut.

I know there are a few keen dead lifters in here... @Daft & @Fierce_LiNk if my memory serves...

I'm still following my program but decide to add dead lifts in for something 'extra' and as odd as it sounds I seem to have trouble breathing when doing it, as in feeling a bit light headed after I have done the set, and for the stupid question... when do you guys inhale and exhale? I don't seem to have a problem with other weight lifting & breathing, just them.

Probably low compared to you guys but today I did 10 reps of 70KG - inc bar weight (3 sets).