NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

OMFG, was deadlifting 120kg today and was like YES I'm going to go up to 140kg (which now I write it sounds insane) but my grip would not take me there.

DAMN YOU FEEBLE FOREARMS!! DAAAAAAAMN YOUUUUUU!!

How do you increase your forearm strength? Mine are faible comme merde.

Kneel down side on to a bench. Put your elbows on the bench and hold a barbell with an underarm grip. Let it roll down to your finger tips and then while you've still got a grip pull it up by curling your hands over.

Or sit down holding dumbbells. Wrist on your knee. Lift the dumbbell up. Keeping your wrist on your knee.

Forarms pretty much work themselves if you use dumbbells for all your exercises. For example, doing Trapezoids with 34kg in each hand will really tire your forearms out, because you're holding on to them for an extended period of time, or if you do rows with dumbbells, it will have the same effect.

I think what Daft was getting at is his grip strength rather than wrist flex, which is what Charlie is talking about.

If you're doing deadlifts, do over arm grips until you get to your heavy weights. Switch to an alternate over/under hand grip and then on your last rep hold it for 10 seconds. But yeah, that's for grip strength. Like Bard said, forearms work themselves otherwise.

Typical. Been tearing it up in the gym the past few months, feeling really good and noticing the difference with some hard workouts. Then I get sick and have been bedridden since Saturday.

/firstworldproblems

Eat more oranges. /unrelated

I eat at least two oranges a day. Peeling them has become kind of therapeutic.

I eat a lot more fruit nowadays than I did. I've also become a little obsessed with Muller light yoghurts. They're zero fat, only like 90 calories a pot yet so very tasty and surprisingly filling.

Don't they have like loads of sugar?

Not an amazing amount but then i don't eat sugar in much else, so it works for me.

It's the sweeteners they are filled with,Wikipedia reference-linkAspartame which isn't particularly good for you.

Its one of those things that spikes insulin but doesn't give any real sugar for the insulin to consume. In excess it can lead to a high amount of insulin produced, which then leads to syndrome x (constant hunger & basically the lead up to t2 diabetes)

I've cut out all of my sweetener in my diet and its made an unbelievable change in my mental focus and tiredness, infact I'm sleeping a lot better. I just dropped the sweetener in my tea and eat natural yoghurt instead of the processed ones

I pretty much don't eat anything sweet other than apples, and I have Agave nectar with my tea rather than sugar. Still, my diet isn't exactly healthy, it consists almost entirely of meat. By which I mean chicken. Someone out there must lament the amount of chickens that have had to die to keep me alive.

Worth it!

I pretty much don't eat anything sweet other than apples, and I have Agave nectar with my tea rather than sugar. Still, my diet isn't exactly healthy, it consists almost entirely of meat. By which I mean chicken. Someone out there must lament the amount of chickens that have had to die to keep me alive.

Worth it!

my bodybuilding friend is the same, he goes through what must be about a whole chicken in a day =P and half a dozen eggs!!

But yeah, you're nearly better having some real sugar in your diet than toxifying it with a load of crappy sweeteners. And natural yoghurt has very similar/less calories than the mullerlights

I never eat sugary things or junk food. And by never I mean hardly ever but every month I'll have some chocolate or something.

That sounds really strict and horrendous but I never crave sweets. I'm just not used to it anymore so I don't think about it.

its very easy once you get into the swing of it and find alternative food you can deal with...

I'm currently eating a diet of "don't stain/dirty the braces" because they are white ceramic pieces on my teeth rather than metal, and give away ANY stains or bits. I had heinz tomato soup and my teeth were stained orange.... not sure what's in that stuff but it just seems to stain everything!!

As for protein, I'm a Celiac, which means I can't have Wheat, and I'm also intolerant to milk, which counts out most Protein brands. What I get is unflavoured Pea Isolate protein from Myprotein.com, but it tastes so horrible it makes me gag. I've taken to adding a tablespoon of Agave nectar to it to make it tolerable though. Really miss the days of being able to have ready mixed, flavoured protein =(

This stuff is foul. I'm on a no gluten, lactose diet (health issue related) so I've been drinking it as well. I hate the fact it feels as if you're slowly accumulating a thin layer of grit at the base of your throat; it's so thick!

Does the Agave have a noticeable effect on the taste?

FITNESS PROGRESS: PICTURE EDITION

A year ago:

Photo218.jpg

Today:

AnbAOSxCAAA15Wf.jpg

I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference, but I feel so much better, so it's fine.

Edited by chairdriver

This stuff is foul. I'm on a no gluten, lactose diet (health issue related) so I've been drinking it as well. I hate the fact it feels as if you're slowly accumulating a thin layer of grit at the base of your throat; it's so thick!

Does the Agave have a noticeable effect on the taste?

Yeah, adding a tablespoon (perhaps a little more even, according to how you want it to taste), actually makes it more palatable than most flavoured shakes I used to buy. But then, I really love Agave nectar. Give it a try, it'll definitely make it a lot better, drinking that stuff by itself is like eating sawdust.

I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference, but I feel so much better, so it's fine.

There's definitely a visible difference there, looking good. :)

I want to get to about where you're at now, I effectively look like you did a year ago. I've been going to the gym for the past for months now, but not doing anything too crazy.

Just started running recently, and did my first 5km through the streets of Sheffield yesterday. Actually enjoyed it so much, bar the many slopes scattered across Sheffield which were a total bitch. Only drawback being today I literally can't walk. My calves are in tears.

I've discovered a new aid to weightloss: having to take antibiotics multiple times a day which must be taken on an empty stomach, either 1 hour before food or 3 hours after food...it totally eliminates snacking! :|

Went today for the first time in days. I've been feeling very drained and tired from work, so haven't been working out. Also, bed is nice and warm in the mornings, so its hard to get out of there. :heh:

Deadlifted 110kg again, as I was a bit worried that last week was a fluke. Was shattered after the workout. The plan is to take Ine there tomorrow and sign her up, aha.

Don't become one of those awful couples that work out together (because it's creepy) and kiss across the treadmill 20 minutes into a run, just dripping sweat and all manner of bodily fluids. They're gross. I should know :heh:.

I did 6 reps on 100kg deadlifts, and I was walking like a fucking baboon the rest of the day. Only my third time ever actually doing that particular exercise, so I'm going to keep it up, can definitely feel myself becoming more defined around the lower back area.

Don't become one of those awful couples that work out together (because it's creepy) and kiss across the treadmill 20 minutes into a run, just dripping sweat and all manner of bodily fluids. They're gross. I should know :heh:.

I did 6 reps on 100kg deadlifts, and I was walking like a fucking baboon the rest of the day. Only my third time ever actually doing that particular exercise, so I'm going to keep it up, can definitely feel myself becoming more defined around the lower back area.

Haha, we definitely won't be doing that. I'll be doing my own thing (squatting in the corner probably, aha) whilst she does her womanly exercises. Hip flexes and shit.

Awesome stuff on the deadlifting. I want to get over 110 next time I attempt it.

I did a kettlebell class last night, holy crap my body hurts.. my mum and sister are a lot worse off.... and they used half the weight I did.... don't feel so bad about it knowing that =P

I'm getting a little too obsessed with barbell squats. I almost enjoy the pain it brings after many of them.