NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

Oh dammit.

I don't do it everyday, just most days. And cos it was only an hour out of every 24 hour day, it didn't seem like a lot. It's basically a cardio routine from an fitness dvd i do. Usually the same one.

I do exercise everyday except for Sunday but even then, you'll catch me on Just Dance 3, shaking my jelly, hahaha. Also, I am not in the 16st club, I weighed myself this morning to find I'm 17st 0lbs which would be my true weight considering I did it after waking up and going to the toilet and then weighing myself, which is what a doctor recommends you do to get your true weight.

Anyways, I need your help, guys! I really want to start my own blog but I have no idea what to call it. It'll be a weight loss blog but I have no names for it, can any of you suggest one? The blog will basically be showing the battles of weight loss. I did think of an idea but I'm not sure if any of you would be interested. Would any of you guys become authors for the blog? You'd get your own page to put your entries in as well as other things like vlogs and such...

no you need at least 1 rest day per week, 2 if you do intensive training. Repetitive muscle wear can lead to weakness & injury...

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wouldn't exercise my biceps two days in a row, but I thought you could go running five times per week.

So you're not supposed to workout everyday then? That's annoying... I've not felt good recently unless i've did something everyday.

You should always rest, especially if these are intense workouts. Rest doesn't mean sit on a beanbag for 24 hours and do nothing, simply nothing too strenous.

From what I've learned, you may exercise all days of the week, however, you must not do the same exercise every day. If you do legs one day you should do legs the next. So if you just vary your training, there's nothing wrong with doing it every day.

That said, though, you still need to rest some days, one day a week is a good idea. And as JonSt said, resting doesn't mean doing nothing, just go for a walk instead of running, or do some Just Dance or something like that.

I myself exercise quite much. About 4.5 or 5 hours a week with intense training and then I ride my bike for about 2-3 hours a week. By intense training I mean like crossfit or weight lifting coupled with cardio exercises like running, rowing, and cycling. I don't do it in order to lose weight, I'm currently at 66 kg (181 cm) so I could do with some weight gaining, actually. I just do it because it gives me the energy to do many other things - if I haven't exercised for a couple of days, I get all cranky and tired.

you should know yourself really, if you've gone running an your calves feel wrecked, don't work on them the next day! Protein helps, but its NO replacement for rest days. And making sure you get a good sleep routine is crucial... that's when a lot of the repair happens. nice and regular, making sure you are getting 7 hours, but not oversleeping.

like several have said, rest days don't necessarily mean sitting on your bum.

Quite true. Thinking about it, there's not a day that's gone by where I have not exercised. Today was supposed to be my day off but instead, I played football and I feel totally awesome. I may do some Just Dance 3 tomorrow or go on an extremely long walk.

Remember to not get complacent, though. Your body will get used to things fairly quickly so going for a run might be the level you want to be now but in a few months you'll want to be doing that run in a shorter time or over a longer distance. I've always found that this is a psychological hurdle to get over, don't just assume you can't lift a certain weight, for example. Give it a go, obviously be sensible about it, and you might just do it. Maybe even with ease.

I've cut down going to the gym from four times a week to three times. I almost think I'm making more progress now. Obviously, I still cycle every day. I think the real difference is that now, even though I only go three times a week I always do an all out aerobic exercise for 20 minutes before weights (which actually follows a half hour cycle to the gym usually but that doesn't count in my head).

Technically, you should probably be doing aerobic exercise after weights, since aerobic respiration naturally takes place after the fuel for anaerobic respiration has been depleted (and thus the body starts to use stores of long chain lipid molecules which are tougher to break down, and are by consequence a less immediate and intense source of energy). If you're already in aerobic mode by the time you get to weights, your body will be in a state where the fuel for shorter, more intense bursts of energy area is depleted.

One of those rare cases where A Level Biology actually has a practical use :heh:

My girlfriend and I have decided to go swimming once a week, where we try and swim as much as we can in 30 mins. I usually do about 750m, but sometimes i manage 1km.

Then i play football for two hours on a friday. Theres no training or anything, it's just for fun, but i feel there's enough exercise there to keep my body from giving up.

Otherwise i do an awful lot of walking. Where i live is a really good place for walks, as the whole town is within walking distance, and our best friends live about a mile away. Since we visit three or four times a week, thats about 8 miles walked per week.

Still, i could probably stand to lose some weight.....i tried doing that 100 push ups once, and did quite well, i was doing 100 every time, albeit with some breaks in between, but now i just don't have the time (or the space) to do it...

Technically, you should probably be doing aerobic exercise after weights, since aerobic respiration naturally takes place after the fuel for anaerobic respiration has been depleted (and thus the body starts to use stores of long chain lipid molecules which are tougher to break down, and are by consequence a less immediate and intense source of energy). If you're already in aerobic mode by the time you get to weights, your body will be in a state where the fuel for shorter, more intense bursts of energy area is depleted.

One of those rare cases where A Level Biology actually has a practical use :heh:

I don't know how convinced I am by this, tbh. Especially as I'm only doing it for 20 minutes. The internet seems pretty inconclusive either way. I've doing it before doubles as a really good warm up and it's my blood circulating quicker.

Doesn't hurt to give it a go though so I'll try this for a week or two. Would it be a good idea to have a protein shake after the weights and before the running?

I don't know how convinced I am by this, tbh. Especially as I'm only doing it for 20 minutes. The internet seems pretty inconclusive either way. I've doing it before doubles as a really good warm up and it's my blood circulating quicker.

Doesn't hurt to give it a go though so I'll try this for a week or two. Would it be a good idea to have a protein shake after the weights and before the running?

I've heard from the PTs that that is the correct way to do things. Obviously you still need to warm up your muscles before doing the weights though in some way.

I think it depends how long you're going to run for. There's a specific time period where it is optimum to have a protein shake after working out. I think it's up to 60 minutes after working out that your muscles are primed for recovery.

Edited by Charlie

Well I only run for 20 minutes and then do weights for 45. I'll switch it up for a bit but I think it's not going to make too big a difference which comes first since I'm not really running for that long. It's just like a thorough warm up.

Well I only run for 20 minutes and then do weights for 45. I'll switch it up for a bit but I think it's not going to make too big a difference which comes first since I'm not really running for that long. It's just like a thorough warm up.

It really depends on how strenuous your run is. If you're going really quickly you'll use a lot of energy which could've been used getting an extra set out.

I'll switch it round for the next two weeks and see. It's the only way to really know.

20 minutes is about 2/3 of my entire run man, but then I'm not made for long distance. As for the aerobic/anaerobic stuff, trust homes, whenever I've tried a run before weights, it's cut my press by about 15 kg, and costs me a set here and there too. If you always run before you do weights, next time you go to the gym, don't run and try lifting heavier weights.

Also, it's scientific fact, so stfu :heh:

I've got my squash racquet from my Mum's as well as some new trainers. I've emailed a few clubs in the area (I'm looking at both Stockport and Manchester - Manchester will probably be easier), but if I don't get a reply I'll have to try and visit some on Saturday.

The problem is that a few just have courts that you can book - which isn't all that useful when you don't have anyone to play with.

My personal trainer often says "Don't waste your energy" if I do more than 5 minutes running. Trouble is, I know doing longer (I only ever do 10 minutes max) burns more fat, so I judge it on how much time I have on the day and how much flab I have in any particular week.

20 minutes is about 2/3 of my entire run man, but then I'm not made for long distance. As for the aerobic/anaerobic stuff, trust homes, whenever I've tried a run before weights, it's cut my press by about 15 kg, and costs me a set here and there too. If you always run before you do weights, next time you go to the gym, don't run and try lifting heavier weights.

Also, it's scientific fact, so stfu :heh:

Just did it at the gym. It made a difference but not a major one. Probably because I got used to the other way around and 20 minutes aerobic is hardly a push. I mean I sweat but after and it's an effort but I'm recovered after a couple minutes.

I think I'll keep it this way round. Maybe do it the other way around every now and then just to mix it up.

My personal trainer often says "Don't waste your energy" if I do more than 5 minutes running. Trouble is, I know doing longer (I only ever do 10 minutes max) burns more fat, so I judge it on how much time I have on the day and how much flab I have in any particular week.

What's your main goal? Lose fat or gain muscle?

If it's to lose fat then cardio is the way forward.

It may not be sexy but there's very few Cardio based activities that are as effective as running. As Daft mentioned earlier about not settling into a familiar pattern, it's amazing how you're body performs when it's gotten used to something. I've trimmed 2 minutes off my 10km route I ran without even consciously thinking about doing it.

What's your main goal? Lose fat or gain muscle?

If it's to lose fat then cardio is the way forward.

Gain muscle.

To be fair to my instructor, he knows that, which is why he suggests I not waste energy, of course. I just do a 5-minute warm-up.

I'm not overweight (6' 3" and about 14 stone), it's just that I can "pinch an inch". In the past I have got my waist down to 32", which seemed just right to me. My instructor suggested I save all my calories for muscle-building, then burn off any fat if I need to at a later date.

Not sure if this is truly helpful or practical, but I've been playing around with it for the past few minutes:

http://swole.me/ - automatic diet plan generator, based on foods chosen (optional) and number of calories as an input.

Edit: It's kind of broken in that it doesn't consider the context of what it suggests...it just told me to eat 10 eggs in one day :s Though I did choose a very small number of foods...

Edited by EddieColeslaw

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/pikepikepikepike/Running/482541

My run from last night. You can even click on the play button and live through it with me!

My running is going alright since starting in October. I am still building up my pace, which right now hovers around the 9 minute mile mark for 5km runs.

I find it helpful as I'm running to chant in my head "be a machine, be a machine." Not sure if that's cool or not.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/pikepikepikepike/Running/482541

My run from last night. You can even click on the play button and live through it with me!

My running is going alright since starting in October. I am still building up my pace, which right now hovers around the 9 minute mile mark for 5km runs.

I find it helpful as I'm running to chant in my head "be a machine, be a machine." Not sure if that's cool or not.