42. Volley Ball Famicom-DiscDrive

44. Banjo-Tooie N64

45. Baseball NES

46. Famicom Tantei Club Famicom-DiscDrive

47. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi NES

48. Metroid Famicom-DiscDrive

48. Metroid II – Return of Samus GB

50. Super Mario: Yoshis Island SNES

Not on that top 50 list are; SMG 2,Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, F -Zero GX, Paper Mario. :sad:

6. Xenoblade Wii

Really really thrilled about the whole Xenoblade situation. Its formal recognition among the most seasoned and savvy gamers in every region has been one the most heart-warming success stories in years.

I like how this list is 99% based on nostalgia, except the two latest great Wii games somehow both make the top 10.

Mario Galaxy 2 really is a shocking omission... perhaps because its sales were lower than the original?

While I'm pleased to see the likes of Xenoblade and The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword doing so well...

... you know there's something plainly wrong when Baseball makes it in and Super Metroid doesn't. :blank:

Also Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island only just makes the list at number 50?

bitch please. :p

The Japanese aren't really into Metroid. It's been a "just deal with it" scenario for years.

They'd probably faceplam just as much that everyone over here would seem to shun the likes of Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

... you know there's something plainly wrong when Baseball makes it in and Super Metroid doesn't. :blank:

Hey, [generic baseball game I'd never heard of before] was great! The real scandal is that it's not in the top 10. :blank:

I wonder if Famitsu's readers realize how crazy the rest of the world thinks they are?

The Japanese aren't really into Metroid. It's been a "just deal with it" scenario for years.

They'd probably faceplam just as much that everyone over here would seem to shun the likes of Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

True, but still... Baseball :blank:

Plus I've just noticed Kirby's Air Ride is in there, clearly they can't be trusted. :nono:

Oh annnnd Volleyball of all games... but then, this is Japan I suppose. :rolleyes:

Why are Banjo and Xenoblade on there??? Weren't they just published by Nintendo? oO

Lol. The former was developed by a second-party studio that Nintendo owned 49% of, and the latter was developed by a wholly owned Nintendo subsidiary. They're Nintendo games. As much as any Metroid or Zelda or Animal Crossing or F-Zero game is.

There's this stunning curiosity that you hear "It's a shame Xenoblade isn't on PS3/360" in the same way you'd never hear "It's a shame Zelda isn't on PS3/360". That's not aimed at you, Oxigen, it's just a thought that's semi-related to ignorance of what counts as a first-party game. Knowledge is good.

But still, they put Banjo-Tooie there and not the much better Banjo-Kazooie (which should have been at the very top of the list).

Really really thrilled about the whole Xenoblade situation. Its formal recognition among the most seasoned and savvy gamers in every region has been one the most heart-warming success stories in years.

Or it could just be the flavour of the moment.

In countless "Viewers Best" polls you'll see something fairly recent.

I'm sure Lady GaGa or whatever is in loads of listeners top albums of all time, but then 5 years down the line it's no where to be seem.

Or it could just be the flavour of the moment.

In countless "Viewers Best" polls you'll see something fairly recent.

I'm sure Lady GaGa or whatever is in loads of listeners top albums of all time, but then 5 years down the line it's no where to be seem.

You're right.

To the time machine!

Hehe, I'm not saying that for sure.

It's just... you know how things are.

I'm sure it's a great game, I'm less sure of it being so high in 20 years time.

Lol. The former was developed by a second-party studio that Nintendo owned 49% of, and the latter was developed by a wholly owned Nintendo subsidiary. They're Nintendo games. As much as any Metroid or Zelda or Animal Crossing or F-Zero game is.

There's this stunning curiosity that you hear "It's a shame Xenoblade isn't on PS3/360" in the same way you'd never hear "It's a shame Zelda isn't on PS3/360". That's not aimed at you, Oxigen, it's just a thought that's semi-related to ignorance of what counts as a first-party game. Knowledge is good.

But... Banjo IS on the 360. Rare owns the IP, am I wrong??? The same way that Monolith owns the xeno franchise... I mean, I played xenogears on the ps1... and I can go play it on the ps3 right now, I just have to go and buy it off the psn store... and I'm pretty sure that Nintendo had nothing to do with the development of Xenoblade (even if I'm just saying it, I have no idea if they did or not, truthfully)... Metroid is different, Retro Studios expanded upon pre existing Nintendo IPs... same with sega and F-Zero...

These two, however, are IPs that exist independently of Nintendo's involvement on other platforms and in which I assume they had little influence in developing.

Am I wrong, here or is there a very clear difference between these cases?

But... Banjo IS on the 360. Rare owns the IP, am I wrong??? The same way that Monolith owns the xeno franchise... I mean, I played xenogears on the ps1... and I can go play it on the ps3 right now, I just have to go and buy it off the psn store... and I'm pretty sure that Nintendo had nothing to do with the development of Xenoblade (even if I'm just saying it, I have no idea if they did or not, truthfully)... Metroid is different, Retro Studios expanded upon pre existing Nintendo IPs... same with sega and F-Zero...

These two, however, are IPs that exist independently of Nintendo's involvement on other platforms and in which I assume they had little influence in developing.

You're pertaining to IP rights, yes. But there's a lot of confusion in what you're saying.

Banjo you might have a point with, because I don't think Nintendo ever owned more than 49% of Rare. Having said that, they were probably the most 'first-party' studio that was never actually technically first party.

The 'Xeno' franchise isn't anywhere near as clear-cut as you make out. You mention Xenogears, but I think that is and always was an IP owned by Square. It was only personally developed by Takahashi who would go on to form Monolith. Xenosaga is either owned by Namco Bandai (which I suspect is the case), or by Monolith, and as such the rights would now be held by Nintendo. But it's moot anyway. Xenoblade is related by name only.

You'd also be wrong by saying that Nintendo had nothing to do with the development of the game.

You're making the mistake of making the leap from 'Nintendo doesn't own the legal rights to IP X at time Y' to 'Nintendo had no involvement in the development of game X'.

The easy way to put it: At the time the games were made, the companies were subsidiaries of Nintendo.

Likely there are contracts that determine who owns any IPs that Monolith Soft has developed in the past and any they develop while they're mostly owned by Nintendo. We don't know and are unlikely to find out.

As long as Nintendo owns Monolith Soft though (80% of them at least), they will control what Monolith does and and any IPs or games Monolith Soft creates in that time are effectively Nintendo games. If they were to sell them again, that might be a different story.

As for Xenoblade, I believe there was an Iwata Asks where they indicated that the development of Xenoblade had to be approved by Nintendo, so the level of control Nintendo has makes them effectively a subsidiary.

As for Xenoblade, I believe there was an Iwata Asks where they indicated that the development of Xenoblade had to be approved by Nintendo, so the level of control Nintendo has makes them effectively a subsidiary.

I would put it as: the legal ownership of Monolith makes them a subsidiary, but the level of control and input Nintendo has makes all their games effectively Nintendo games.

There's just no point these days in distinguishing between 'Nintendo' games by EAD and first, and arguably second, party games by Monolith, Retro, etc.

Interesting thread about interesting games. I have yet to play Xenoblade, but I believe I will buy it eventually.

But what is 'IP' in this context?

Not having Super Metroid, a game that's been cited by many publications throughout time as one of the top titles in gaming history, completely annihilates the credibility of this for me, especially when somehow Metroid 1 and 2 (vastly inferior games) sneak in at the bottom.

Even as representative of the public's favourites I can't take this seriously based on this!

Even as representative of the public's favourites I can't take this seriously based on this!

"I can't take people's tastes serious, because they're different from mine." ;)

It just reflects that Metroid isn't exactly the hottest property in Japan. If we'd did some kind of "all time best"-list in a big magazine over here, they'd probably shake their had at it, too.