NEurope
Goafer

N-E Award Suggestions

So yeah, looks like I'm doing the awards this year.

In an effort to make things more interesting and community like, I thought I'd ask people for awards they'd like to include. The list of ones carried over from previous years are:

Personal

Creative Member

Contribution Award (Previously Thread Starter and Most Helpful)

Spammer

Negative Member

Positive Member

Real Life Achievement

Most Attractive Male

Most Attractive Female

Forum Pair (Formerly couple, but we all know Fleenuh will win again)

Best Sigs and Avs

Best Multiplayer Buddy

Funniest Member

Most Respected Member

Most Knowledgeable Member

Newcomer

Mod

Staff

Admin

2011 Member of the Year

Forum Stuff

Best Forum Moment

Best Playground Game

Best Playground Player

Best Thread

Best Site Article

Best News Article

Gaming Awards

Best New Gaming Product

PC GOTY

iOS/Android etc GOTY

PS3 GOTY

360 GOTY

Wii GOTY

DS GOTY

3DS GOTY

2011 GOTY

Best Online Game

Best Local Multiplayer

Best Downloadable Game (PSN/XBL/Indie etc)

Most Disappointing GOTY

Most Anticipated Game of 2012

Biggest Surprise

Best New IP

Best Soundtrack

Best Graphics

Best Story

Media Awards

Best Film

Best Album

Best TV Show

Anymore that people would like adding or feel that some should be taken out? Bear in mind that stupid ones will just be ignored, unless they're awesome.

Voting will take place in a single, separate thread. All votes in here will be ignored. I'll make a voting thread explaining how to vote once we have a final list.

Edited by Goafer

What about some Mafia Awards?

I can't wait to take part in voting! :D Last year I had just joined and didn't know who anyone was :s

Worst Member

Ugliest Member

Unfunniest Member

Worst Mod

Should probably change DSi GOTY to DS GOTY, so stupid people like me won't get confused. And maybe include the PSP in the interest of fairness.

What about some Mafia Awards?

Any suggestions as to what awards? I haven't participated in any, so I'm not sure what awards would be appropriate. Best Mafia Game (or would people be happy to just have that in the best playground thread)? Best Mafia Player?

Should probably change DSi GOTY to DS GOTY, so stupid people like me won't get confused. And maybe include the PSP in the interest of fairness.

Done. Does the DSi shop thing still count or is that dead nowadays? And to be honest, I really don't see the point in the PSP being included. I bet most people on here couldn't name more than one game that was released this year.

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

Done. Does the DSi shop thing still count or is that dead nowadays? And to be honest, I really don't see the point in the PSP being included. I bet most people on here couldn't name more than one game that was released this year.

Yeah, I was thinking that there haven't been a lot of PSP games this year, but you included everything else, so... I probably wouldn't include the DSi shop thing (I can't even remember what it's called), but I would also get rid of WiiWare/PSN/XBLA in favor of Best Downloadable Game or something similar, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

I don't know, I just think it looks a bit cluttered. :p

Yeah, I was thinking that there haven't been a lot of PSP games this year, but you included everything else, so... I probably wouldn't include the DSi shop thing (I can't even remember what it's called), but I would also get rid of WiiWare/PSN/XBLA in favor of Best Downloadable Game or something similar, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

I don't know, I just think it looks a bit cluttered. :p

Good call. Also means less work for me! Done.

Done. Does the DSi shop thing still count or is that dead nowadays?

Yep, there was DSi Ware this year.

Also, is Multiplatform GOTY something that appeared on more than one platform? If so, it might be worth having an additional category that's just "GOTY".

Yep, there was DSi Ware this year.

Also, is Multiplatform GOTY something that appeared on more than one platform? If so, it might be worth having an additional category that's just "GOTY".

I guess that one is just the overall GOTY year. I'll shorten it.

Or just replace Multiplatform GOTY with GOTY.

Everyone's going to vote for Skyrim, anyway.

Edit: :heh:

Any suggestions as to what awards? I haven't participated in any, so I'm not sure what awards would be appropriate. Best Mafia Game (or would people be happy to just have that in the best playground thread)? Best Mafia Player?

Best Mafia Game seems redundant when we have Best Playground Game. Best Mafia Player is good, and we could perhaps add other player categories like Best Mafioso and Best Townie etc.

Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to these! :D The N-E Awards are always a highlight of the year for me. :)

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Best Mafia Game seems redundant when we have Best Playground Game. Best Mafia Player is good, and we could perhaps add other player categories like Best Mafioso and Best Townie etc.

I'd rather not have too many awards for the Mafia games since not everyone plays them. If I have a few for that, I have to add other more niche awards too and it all becomes a bit messy.

Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to these! :D The N-E Awards are always a highlight of the year for me. :)

Yeah me too, that's why I'm doing them!

Everyone's going to vote for Skyrim, anyway.

Not if I can help it! Vote: Ghost Trick!

But seriously, I think the awards last year were fine, except...

I suppose "Best Mafia game" could be a separate award, it is a bit silly to see individual mafia games competing side by side with "permanent" games such as Xpert 11 or the Picture Caption thread. "Best Player" would be nifty too, I suppose, though not as necessary.

As for the votings themselves, how are you going to organize that? One thread for each, like last year?

As for the votings themselves, how are you going to organize that? One thread for each, like last year?

I was just going to start another thread for voting. I'll post the list of awards, which people can copy and paste and add their vote next to each one. Seems excessive to have a thread for each one, plus I don't have the powah to make a new section to contain all the threads.

I've also added a Best Playground Player award. I think if we end up separating out loads of awards, we'll end up with too many. Plus I figure there aren't enough non-mafia games to justify having 2 separate awards.

Edited by Goafer

Can't really think of other award titles, all good ones though. Looking forward to voting/taking part in the voting.

I agree about the mafia awards, to be honest. I just thought you wanted more suggestions for them. :)

I was just going to start another thread for voting. I'll post the list of awards, which people can copy and paste and add their vote next to each one. Seems excessive to have a thread for each one, plus I don't have the powah to make a new section to contain all the threads.

I must admit I liked the way it was done last year better, since it provided more opportunity to discuss the individual awards and their candidates, plus it was easier to follow the development of the awards you cared about and ignore the rest. I realise it's probably easier for you this way, I just fear it'll make the awards less of an event.

Sorry for sounding so bitchy, my hat's still very much off to you for doing the awards this year. :)

I agree about the mafia awards, to be honest. I just thought you wanted more suggestions for them. :)

Yeah I did, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it might result in too many awards. I think we need to limit ourselves, otherwise it ends up messy, with awards that only a few people care about.

I must admit I liked the way it was done last year better, since it provided more opportunity to discuss the individual awards and their candidates, plus it was easier to follow the development of the awards you cared about and ignore the rest. I realise it's probably easier for you this way, I just fear it'll make the awards less of an event.

I feel exactly the same way, but that would involve 1 of 2 scenerios:

1. A mod helps me out by creating the new section/threads. If that were an option, they'd probably be running the awards themselves since that's a large chunk of the work.

2. They grant me the ability to make the new section/new threads in the section and I do it. I don't mind, but it would mean a bit more work for me. I do like the idea of adding an explanation to each award though. Might put descriptions in a spoiler box if I stick to a single thread.

Sorry for sounding so bitchy, my hat's still very much off to you for doing the awards this year. :)

I wouldn't have made this thread if I didn't want your input! Doesn't sound bitchy either.

Edited by Goafer

Just order ask them to create a new section for the Awards, like last year. You can create the threads yourself, so it should be almost no work for them. :smile:

How about most anticipated game of 2012?

Added. Not sure why that one didn't make the list originally actually.

My slight bias towards the graphics staff is going to show here but would it be better to split the personal awards particularly the staff of the year into forum members member of the year awards and staff members member of the year awards?

I'll relate that back to the point made regarding graphics staff members because I know that myself, Eddage and GCTonyHawk7 are in with little chance of an award due to the fact that nobody, a side form the staff, knows who makes what for the site.

I wouldn't object to staff voted awards, but a member of staff would have to take care of them. Like you said, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, hell I barely know who the staff are. I wouldn't know what awards would be appropriate for staff voted awards.

Edited by Goafer

Maybe we could add some more of the gaming ones we spoke about yesterday like "Best original music in a game", "Best new character", "Biggest surprise" (as in we didnt expect that game to be good but it was).

Also are we not doing any like movie, tv show, album of the year etc?

, hell I barely know who the staff are. I wouldn't know what awards would be appropriate for staff voted awards.

you really know how to make a guy feel wanted. :(

Forum admins are Red

Forum mods are Blue

Main site staff are Green

And now we're awfully angry with you.

Maybe we could add some more of the gaming ones we spoke about yesterday like "Best original music in a game", "Best new character", "Biggest surprise" (as in we didnt expect that game to be good but it was).

Also are we not doing any like movie, tv show, album of the year etc?

Added.

you really know how to make a guy feel wanted. :(

Forum admins are Red

Forum mods are Blue

Main site staff are Green

And now we're awfully angry with you.

Well I know that, I meant more that I have no idea who does what behind the scenes.