NEurope
Retro_Link

Zelda Hyrule Historia Artbook

51gsyeVJWKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This may have been discussed in the Zelda threads, but seeing as I'm not reading those...

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/121/1214953p1.html

Nintendo Releasing Incredible Zelda Artbook

Zelda fans - you better sit down for this one. On Nintendo's official Japanese website, the company revealed that it is releasing a special artbook to celebrate the franchise's 25th anniversary. Based on the few pages that were shown, this thing looks incredible.

As reported by Zelda Universe, this 274 page masterpiece will contain tons of conceptual art, much of which hasn't been released before. It will also reportedly contain in-depth information of the games themselves, including a section on the history of Hyrule and more insight into the game's origin story.

As if that wasn't enough, it's rumored that the book will include an explanation of the true Zelda timeline along with its Hyrule history section. Again, this is wholly unconfirmed, but if true it would prove an exciting development for Zelda fans worldwide.

On Nintendo's site it says the book is slated to release in Japan shortly, on December 21. It will go for 3,255 Yen, which translates to just under $42. We can't think of a better way to spend your hard-earned rupees.

So far nothing has been mentioned about releasing this book outside of Japan. For more info on this exciting collectible as it becomes available, keep it here on IGN.

That would be about £30 probably!

Hopefully we'll see this appearing on Amazon over here as well!

Edited by Retro_Link

Didn't realise it's out in 3 days! None of my normal import sites has it up yet. Amazon.co.jp does but shipping is too expensive.

Edit: Just checked, shipping on amazon.co.jp is £30 :o, that's more than the book!

Edited by Ike

I'm tempted to spend 60 quid for the Japanese version, who knows if they'll ever release it over here

This makes me wish Nintendo did proper collectors editions.

Take Skyward Sword with the remote and CD. Add this, a DVD with some making of/beta stuff and perhaps some trinkets (Triforce, rupees or something...perhaps even the sailcloth) and it would be glorious.

Feel that if it does come over here, it'll be like a million starred item on the shop:hmm:

Come on NoE! Continue your streak of awesomeness and release it here for €30!:hehe:

I would probably rip out the timeline pages though, I don't want to know:heh:

Oh god I want this! Zelda art, mmmm.

I always used to keep magazines that showed any Zelda art (mostly OoT and MM), so it would be nice to have it all collected in one book. =D

This makes me wish Nintendo did proper collectors editions.

Take Skyward Sword with the remote and CD. Add this, a DVD with some making of/beta stuff and perhaps some trinkets (Triforce, rupees or something...perhaps even the sailcloth) and it would be glorious.

You know, I'd rather see Collector's Editions come with more practical goodies than mere trinkets. I loved that package because it didn't come with useless stuff like that.

That said, an extras DVD or an Art Book would be fantastic.

Or maybe they didn't release anything like that, because they'd rather release everything in this glorious Zelda Art Bible. If I wasn't short on money, I'd be seriousy considering this.

Japan gets Hyrule Historia, The Zelda 25th anniversary art book.

Release date: 21/12/2011.

Price: 3,255 Yen.

274 pages.

Quote:

Detailed Skyward Sword stuff broken into various sections: 67 pages

The World of Hyrule detailed in several sections including a timeline: 70 pages

Artwork for the individual games:

Legend of Zelda - 4 pages

Link's Adventure & Link to the Past - 2 pages

Link's Awakening - 1 page

Ocarina of Time - 6 pages

Majora's Mask - 3 pages

Wind Waker - 10 pages

Oracle series - 6 pages

Twilight Princess - 32 pages

Phantom Hourglass - 4 pages

Spirit Tracks - 22 pages

The rest of the book contains an evolution of Link's character designs over the years, a catalog of Zelda games, and some other extra stuff.

img_intro01b.jpg

img_intro02b.jpg

img_intro03b.jpg

img_intro04b.jpg

Zelda SS Manga preview

img_intro05b.jpg

New preview:

hh_170.jpg

nE3jD.jpg

6lRq2.jpg

Preview of the timeline:

Twilight Realm and the Hero’s Descendants

Link, the Hero of Time, was victorious and Ganon’s seal was successful. He returned to his original time and met with Princess Zelda, and a different history was spun.

Another History of the Hyrule Kingdom

Period of the Hero of Time (Child Era):

Ocarina of Time:

The Hero of Time’s Return

By rewinding the time of his 7 years sleep with Zelda’s power, Link returned to his original time.

He now went to Hyrule Castle’s courtyard. Princess Zelda was watching Ganondorf as before when they first met.

Notice of the Future

Link told Princess Zelda what will happen in the future. She listened and so to prevent Ganondorf from entering the Sacred Realm, entrusted Link with the Ocarina of Time and instructed him to leave with it.

This time, the back of Link’s hand was shining with the proof of the Triforce of Courage. Finished with the battle with evil from the future world, the hero carried the burden of the secret journey.

Majora’s Mask:

Link’s Departure

Link borrowed Epona from Lon Lon Ranch. And after several months of wandering looking for his past friend Navi, he was lost in a mysterious forest where there was a way to the parallel universe called Termina.

Right side column text:

The Hero’s Return

The place where Link returned was the Temple of Time. The Master Sword remained stuck before the time the Sacred Realm was opened. His friend Navi disappeared into the sky, and Link walked into the new history.

Triforce of Courage

The proof of courage was carried on the back of Link’s hand. Since Ganondorf was sealed away with the Triforce of Power, the Triforce remained with the chosen ones of the Gods.

Caption:Link Carrying the Hero’s Crest

glyBV.jpg

6PUpw.jpg

Zelda TPs concept design art is very bizarre for zelda series.

Edited by Dante

I've ordered a copy. No doubt the US/European one will get announced tomorrow.

The last page of the preview of the timeline has been translated

hh_1121-e1324444609376.jpg

The Demon Thief Ganondorf’s Execution

Period of the Hero of Time (Child Era):

Twilight Princess:

Dark Clouds Threaten Hyrule

Meanwhile, the Hyrule Kingdom, with Princess Zelda’s knowledge of future events from Link, the Hero of Time, accused Ganondorf of allowing the destruction of Hyrule.

Several years later, Ganondorf, the dreaded demon thief who had acquired evil magic, was to be executed at last.

The Arbiter’s Grounds and the Mirror of Twilight

In the Arbiter’s Grounds, Ganondorf was executed by six sages. However, Ganondorf was elected to not die by the Triforce of Power, and killed one of the sages. Panicking, the sages used the Mirror of Twilight to exile Ganondorf in the Twilight Realm.

At this time the sages were given the mission by the Gods to protect the Mirror of Twilight.

However, Ganondorf’s malice went with him into the Twilight Realm, which threw the Twilight Realm into disorder.

Bottom text:

History of the Twilight Realm

In ancient times, the people were deeply religious and the world had long been at peace. But, eventually there was conflict over the Sacred Realm, Hyrule. Among the people, those appeared who excelled at black magic and with their super powerful evil magic tried to govern the Sacred Realm.

The Gods sent the four Light Spirits, who then sealed away the Fused Shadows. Additionally, they used the Mirror of Twilight to exile them to the Twilight Realm so that they would never be able to interact with the World of Light. The people living in the Twilight, came to be called the Twili.

Right Side Column:

Demon Thief Ganondorf

Carrying the proof of the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf acquired evil magic. This time axis’s Ganondorf, who thought the Triforce of the Sacred Realm was untouched, concluded there must have been some disturbance since Link returned home with the Triforce of Courage.

The Sages

More information of this time’s sages like their names are unknown. From the emblems depicted on the sage’s clothing they are known to be sages of light, forest, fire, water, shadow, and spirit.

Ganondorf’s Malice

Ganondorf’s malice increased from his wicked heart and hatred.

Edited by Dante

Don’t care particularly for the/a timeline, but damn I want this. If I have money to spare, I’ll gladly get the Japanese version.

The last page of the preview of the timeline has been translated

Didn't Ganondorf acquire evil magic through the Triforce of Power, not Courage?

Does look like an intriguing purchase, but I'd like to see more illustrations that I can't find if I looked in the instruction booklet.

Here is the timeline from the book

Two thirds of it most people will have agreed with for a while now (branches 2 & 3) + Minish Cap coming early on in the history.

And then they just stuck the earlier games into a generic 'Link fails' third timeline, which is fair enough I suppose. That's the best they could probably do after only starting to pay attention to a chronology from OOT onwards.

(though I'd have ditched the Four Swords games entirely, they're more like party games IMO)

Edited by Ronnie

(though I'd have ditched the Four Swords games entirely, they're more like party games IMO)

Don't they have their own plot, though? Aren't they inherently tied with Minish Cap?

Also, lol at them sticking the early games + oracles into a parallel universe :laughing:

IGN - Nintendo reveals Legend of Zelda series timeline

The Zelda series starts with a simple progression. The first four games in the timeline, from earliest to latest are:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

3. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Here's where things get complicated, because Ocarina deals with a leap in time and technically only spells out one of those timelines with its ending. However, if these reports are to be believed, Nintendo has generated three scenarios based on Ocarina of Time.

The first, which we'll call Timeline A, assumes Link actually fails to stop Ganon. How or why this is a logical storyline path is a bit lost on us, because the game resolves that battle, but regardless, here are the games that follow Timeline A:

5-A. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

6-A. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages

7-A. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

8-A. The Legend of Zelda

9-A. The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

So there's that - many games based on an odd presumption. Regardless, the next path, Timeline B, works from the presented ending of Ocarina of Time, featuring Link returning to live through his childhood. As we all know, Majora's Mask picks up shortly after Ocarina's ending, leading to these games:

5-B. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

6-B. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

7-B. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

One more timeline for you. This one starts with Ganon's defeat in the Ocarina of Time era, and progresses from there - from the time that Link advanced and eventually left so he could be a child once again. Here are the games in Timeline C:

5-C. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

6-C. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

7-C. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

You know, I'd really love to see the scanned pages that explain this "3 timelines" business.

One guy on the internet saying it (and IGN reluctantly believing it) is hardly a good source.