NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Bard

RIP Christopher Hitchens

Well, I just got the news that the great man is dead. He helped me through my teenage years when I was struggling against my cultural heritage and religious upbringing. He made me laugh, think and had a style that I tried to emulate in my writing as well as in my speech. Tis a big loss.

Glad to see someone set up this thread.

A very influential figure, for me personally as well as in general. It was great to see someone so keen on fighting frauds, fanatics and liars. I mean the man had the balls to take on Mother Teresa of all people. The news of his death inspires nothing but sadness and anguish.

A magnificent bastard if ever there was one.

He was a truly unique guy, and one of the great fighters of bullshit of our time. He certainly was never, ever afraid of saying anything. He'll be sorely missed.

A nice highlight of the man's humour and love of alcohol.

Also, a quotation:

"[Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction."

A video that shows how awesome Christopher Hitchens is.

Genuinely quite sad.

In many ways totally awesome, in a few, not so awesome, but as it has been said, irreplaceable.

I will miss him!

In respect to that video?

I just always thought it was an amazing example of Christopher Hitchens' attitude.

I've read most of his books, watched most of his debates and drank a lot of his favourite whiskey. He's in my top three favourite authorities on life (Carl Sagan and Robert Pirsig being the others) and will be missed.

He was much more of a mans man compared to the likes of Dawkins and his wit will always be legendary. His distaste for the belief in magic in all it's forms mirrored my own and even though his wordplay was poetic in shape and sophisticated in form, his points were always understood with clarity.

No doubt some religious, who disliked him pointing out absurd things in their beliefs, will probably say a prayer for him tonight....while trying hard to ignore the fact that there are actual unicorns in the bible.

Too of my favourite quotes by him:

"If you gave [Jerry] Falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox."

“[Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction.”

He wasn't exactly prepared to pull his punches, that's for sure...

@Wesley I meant in general. His waterboarding thing was a really effective action/comment in this western torture debacle. That took some guts!

R.I.P Christopher Hitchens... a sad day indeed. :(

Too (?)of my favourite quotes by him

“[Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction.”

Did you read this one recently Fish? :heh:

I've been reading through his memoirs again recently, they're so well written and incredibly readable. I also have god Is Not Great to finish off as well...perhaps a shame that I never quite managed to complete any of his books before he died.

Sign in to follow this