NEurope
Yvonne

The Vanilla Mafia

And I can confirm that. I redirected ReZ to Eddie last night (Sorry, Eddie)

Vote: ReZ

Sorry I haven't been posting much guys, been very ill for a week or so, and now I'm back at work it's hard to get online etc. However, lunch break now, so I'm here.

It seems that there is planty of evidence for Rez being evil, and while I do want him to talk, he MUST have his own agenda, or he wouldn't be killing all the time. Worth pointing out that he's only killed townies so far, too, which means he is helping the mafia massively.

Can't ignore the evidence, though Vote: Rez

-- Vote Standings --

ReZourceman (4): Cube, Jonnas, nintendohnut, The Peeps

Majority has been reached!

ReZourceman has been lynched. He could kill on alternate nights. He was neutral.

-- players --

@mr\-paul

@Nintendohnut

@The Peeps

@Supergrunch

total is 6

majority is 4

Please send me your PMs.

NIGHT 4 BEGINS

deadline is Wednesday 15:00

Edited by Yvonne

Sorry about the delay, the write up will appear tomorrow, was a busy evening here...

NIGHT 5 ENDS

ReZ2-1.jpg

The trap door was ready. Cube's hand rested on the lever.

"Any last words?"

"What's your favourite flavour ice cream?"

The rope was measured out right, and the snap cut ReZ's laughter short.

-----

"So, who's for ice cream?"

It was Jonnas. He seemed to have gotten over the deaths quickly enough.

"Is that a joke? At a time like this?"

The voice of Mr-Paul came from inside an adult size mickey mouse costume. He'd found it at the funfair. He'd put it on to console himself, and hadn't yet gathered the courage to remove it.

Jonnas drew a gun, and instinctively The Peeps dove to protect his friend.

The Peeps is dead! He could protect his targets. He was good.

"I'll ask again. Who's for ice cream?"

The terrified hangman and mouse raised their hands.

GAME OVER

Mafia wins.

-- town --

@mr\-paul - role investigator

@Dannyboy\-the\-Dane - roleblocker

@Diageo - cold case investigator

@EddieColeslaw - tracker

@The Peeps - protector

@Rummy - mirror tracker

-- mafia --

@Jonnas mafia don +2 (hidden) - redirector

@Supergrunch - scrambler

@Nintendohnut - sleeper agent

@heroicjanitor - assassin

-- neutral --

@ReZourceman - serial killer

-----

good game everybody, I enjoyed that. Bit short but I feel it went alright for a first try!

I was really enjoying this before I got killed! One of my favourite parts was the pictures, it somehow made the game more engaging! I would love a similar game, one which would last longer - I think maybe one less mafioso would have made it last longer? Or 4 mafiosos and no serial killer? I'm no GM though :) Thanks Yvonne!

Thanks! It helped get me off my ass and do some drawing. I will do it again for my next game I think.

Yep definitely balance issues...perhaps I should have made the vigilante town.

Nintendohnut was a townie but if a mafia died in first 3 days he'd switch teams. It seemed like a good buffer at first when heroicjanitor got caught, but then with ReZ's spree mafia quickly took control!

Edited by Yvonne

The general rule is 1 mafia per 3 town. So to have four members in the mafia, you would need a 16 player game.

I found the size of this mafia refreshing and Yvonne's write-ups were well suited with the added drawings.

I do think mr-paul was an idiot not defending me the night I died...

As for mafia size, it was having a killer neutral on top of it that made the situation almost impossible for town. Of course, if ReZ had knocked off some mafia then numbers would seem doable but with town only having +4 on the mafia numbers then chances were that town would lose 2 a night, which means they'd have to lynch nearly every time -- we got lucky with the first night, getting heroijan (thanks to yvonne letting me send in my target a little late... :P). So yes, I'd say that it was the town facing two killers at once that made it difficult. Plus nobody protecting me the night I died :P

Woot! Go us! :grin:

Anyway, Diageo is right when he says the mafia should be a quarter of the townies. It was like that at the beginning, actually, but Nintendohnut joined us after Herojan died. Since there was 3+1 mafia (where +1 means a potential extra teammate), I think the set-up would be more fitting of a game with...14 players or so.

Also, mafia redirector + serial killer = overpowered mafia. If the killer is a vigilante, they can always choose to not kill and come clean with the town, but a serial killer is much easier to manipulate.

As for the game presentation and write-ups, I thought it was very well done. The pictures were fantastic, and really fit with the "corrupt town" feel of the game. Plus, the information you included in the write-up was either vague enough for nobody to see immediately, or a big event an investigator was about to reveal, anyway. Good stuff :smile:

I wonder what a game with my write-ups and your drawings would look like...

(on an unrelated note, this game has given me inspiration for Gentlemen's III. Go figure.)

I was a protector and went for Cube on that night, sorry Jay :(

Selfishly protected myself last night but wouldn't have gone for mr-paul anyway :p

So I'm guessing it was nice flavour or I was redirected.... not that it matters :(

Well done mafia. Difficult for the town but it wasn't impossible.

Great first game, Yvonne. Managed to get a good atmosphere and feel to your game even though it was so short. The pictures helped but mostly your write-ups were fantastic :)

Oh yeah...what happened on Night 1? I tracked Cube and got that he targeted mr-paul, when he actually targeted Diageo. Did I get redirected?

vanillaRecord2.jpg

Here's how I was keeping track of things.

EDIT: oops, where it says "My Paul protected" it should say "protect self" and "mr paul protected" should be in the result. Essentially the redirect stopped Peeps from doing self defense.

Edited by Yvonne

Balance issues already covered, I’d like to say, as a bystander, that the game didn’t really feel “vanillaâ€, I would have expected less powers.

And I was the first to comment on your artwork, but again, they were fantastic, and coupled with the write-ups, they set the mood perfectly. The video is a great watch!

Thanks! Yeah I found out later that vanilla meant almost zero powers (one alignment checker and one protector?), when my understanding of it was just that there was no discernible theme and the roles would be somewhat standard. I may run a forrealz vanilla one later. I guess those are more focused on discussion and suspicion?

Thanks! Yeah I found out later that vanilla meant almost zero powers (one alignment checker and one protector?), when my understanding of it was just that there was no discernible theme and the roles would be somewhat standard. I may run a forrealz vanilla one later. I guess those are more focused on discussion and suspicion?

Yes, though it makes it harder to start a discussion in the first place. We once did a big vanilla mafia that was made interesting because of chairdriver's crazy gambit.

Also, my mind is now picturing a Gentlemen's III with...pictures :heh: Probably won't start anything for several months, though.

I thought a vanilla mafia was just a theme-less mafia too, so it's all good :p

I enjoyed it while I was alive and was happy to have guessed that Rez was the serial killer. He didn't reply to me though which was good because the mafia could then use him to kill. I usually don't see double votes as that influential but it got me killed this time. I was surprised Jayseven wasn't protected by someone.

Also, my mind is now picturing a Gentlemen's III with...pictures :heh: Probably won't start anything for several months, though.

I told you you'd want to do another one at some point. ;)

---

I didn't follow this very closely after I died, but I loved the "theme" (or lack thereof), and the pictures really set the mood! I think "Vanilla Mafia" has different connotations depending on whom you ask, so I'd say this still qualifies. :)

The odds did indeed seem in the mafia's favour, but then balancing issues in our mafia games tend to favour the town, so I guess it evens out. ;)

I enjoyed this, I think more little quickfire mafias like this are good! Any game, especially short/quick ones will raise issues of complaint/criticism regarding balance, but tbh I'm not sure this one was all that bad. Jay's info gave us quite a lot of info for leads for mafia lynches, and if anything I think it's easier for players to look to the game rather than to themselves for their own shortfalls as a team,. I personally think with the info we had both heroic and jonnas were safe bets, but people become very reluctant to vote and/or inactive. Participation in the game itself needs to be encouraged/enforced for everyone. Also whilst ReZ's killing whacked town out a lot, if he'd hit mafia then complaints would have gone the other way regarding it being unbalanced like that, too. The mafia flip for Dohnut was a good call to keep balance. Maybe not having any extra killer would have been better, though.

All in all, a good, fun, brief little game with a lot of character.

(In fact...it was almost too good....Vote:@Yvonne ;))