NEurope
Goafer

Contact lenses (and glasses)

So I'm booked into my opticians to get some contacts. I'm not sure which I'll prefer, but I figure it's nice to have the option. I've got to go get an eye test then wear them for 15 minutes to see if my eyes spaz out. I had bad hayfever as a child, so I'm used to poking around my eyes. I should be ok with putting them in and taking them out.

One thing I've wondered: Is it possible for a contact to slip down underneath your eye? I asked someone at work and they said it hadn't happened to them, but also figured it's possible.

Anyone have any stories about contacts etc? What is it like wearing them? Anything to look out for (see what I did there?)? Do you prefer contacts or glasses?

I think we've had this topic not long ago somewhere.

Since I've had glasses since I was like 5 or something, it's like they've become part of my look/identity. Plus the thought of poking at my eyes has always freaked me out (despite me often doing so accidentally when rubbing my eyes and feeling absolutely no discomfort at all).

I think we've had this topic not long ago somewhere.

Yeah, we had the glasses vs contacts discussion in the love thread, but I was hoping this could be a bit more in depth/I wanted advice on contacts. I figured I'd leave it open to glasses as well to make it a bit more interesting.

I don't think there's anywhere for the contact to go, seems like a myth/urban legend more than anything.

Dailies: Softer and thinner, more comfortable. More expensive if you wear contacts every day, but if you prefer them and only occasionally wear contacts, they're worth it.

Monthlies: Slightly thicker (as they need to last a month), more of a tendency to dry your eyes out. Better value if you wear contacts every day.

I have astigmatism so I use toric lenses, which are again slightly thicker. And then of course there are ones which you can sleep with, ones that correct your vision while you sleep but you take them out during the day, etc...lots of options, it really depends on what your eyes are like. I prefer dailies as my eyes are slightly drier than normal. Good to remember that the more expensive a brand of lenses is, the better quality it will be (less drying, less thick, more comfortable).

Read up on hygiene and possible badthings which could happen online, as your eye doctor may not be competent in educating you on that. The first one I got contacts with, he didn't even teach me how to remove them the right way so I struggled for ages. Youtube it or something :)

Oh, and ask for trial lenses (usually in 5-packs for each eye) of different brands of contact lenses to figure out which suits you the best!

As for glasses, I like wearing them now that I've got a flattering pair. Still prefer how I look without them + make-up, but without make-up + glasses is cool too.

Edited by EddieColeslaw

I wore contacts for a while - fell asleep after a family gathering and they'd gone fairly far back over the top of my eye. You can kinda get a purchase on them through your eyelid and wiggle them back into place -- I've only experienced soft lenses so I have no idea if it happens with hard lenses.

I have heard of contacts slipping around the sides/back of the eye. Not sure about the aftermath though.

I tried contacts once but for some reason one eye kept rejecting them.

That's another thing: contacts seem like such a hassle, especially when you've been used to glasses most of your life. :heh:

i'd rather get laser surgery than have to mess with contacts... they screw up my eyes something chronic.

Poking my eyes made them irritated, and taking the contact out just was awful cause you do basically have to pinch your eyeball. I just ended up getting constant headaches from the eye pain so I gave it up. I sat with the nurse putting them in and out twice, and by the end of it my eyes were bloodshot and i felt like crying cause i was so mentally tired from the ordeal...>_>

Saying that many people get contacts and have no problems...

Contacts can go on top of your eye, but they can't physically go into your brain or do any damage. Sometimes it requires a visit to casualty and sometimes just blinking your eyes, or catching it will pull it out.

Only times ive ever heard about contacts rolling behind your eyes have been while watching tv shows so ive never really know how much truth there is to that.

That's another thing: contacts seem like such a hassle, especially when you've been used to glasses most of your life. :heh:

But contacts = no bumping your glasses on doorframes! /r an idiot

Just checked about losing contacts behind your eye. Apparently it's not possible because of a membrane that connects your eye to your eye lids. Good to know.

I'm thinking I'll go with dailies for the sake of comfort. Not sure how often I'll wear them though. Probably a lot at first.

Haha! Well, my glasses are rather irrelevant to my clumsiness, personally. :heh:

It's true, I have heard contact lenses do decrease your height so you're able to walk through proper doorways safely.

Just checked about losing contacts behind your eye. Apparently it's not possible because of a membrane that connects your eye to your eye lids. Good to know.

I'm thinking I'll go with dailies for the sake of comfort. Not sure how often I'll wear them though. Probably a lot at first.

dailies are good because you get 30 for a months supply which you can stretch if you don't need them every day. Whereas a monthly has to be binned after a months use even if you only use them once. not forgetting theres a bigger risk of infection / a lot more after care for monthlies :)

I'm still amazed that my eyesight is as good as it is with the amount of time I've spent infront of a PC screen in my life.

I always figured if I did need them then I'd stick with glasses. Don't think I could be bothered with messing about with contacts.

I wear daily's every day. Stupid thing to say - I know. What I mean is, I have glasses, but choose to wear my contact lenses everyday although when I was prescribed them it was supposed to be for when I was playing tennis / didn't want glasses.

I have not worn my glasses in 2 years - though funny you should bring the topic up as I have just ordered 2 new pairs yesterday after deciding I wanted to start wearing them again.

It's nice to have the option of both. Glasses can radically change someones appearance I think. For instance, most people at work don't know I wear glasses so if I rocked up at the office with them on everyone would be like :wtf: ha.

Same with someone who wears glasses all the time, to then not.

I have only ever had one problem with lenses and that was playing tennis. I just touched my eye when it was closed and when I opened it I had major blurred vision and couldn't blink coz it was hurting!

My lens had scrunched up and moved up into my eye lid - easy to get out but then a pain to get back in.

The only issue I have with lenses (and why I am gonna start wearing glasses again) is they dry out by the evening and it becomes apparent to me that I'm wearing them coz I can 'feel' them, which is annoying. Same when you put one in and there is something on the lens like a tiny piece of fluff, or a tiny hair or something that scratches.

But definitely go for lenses - then when you do wear glasses people will be like ooh he suits glasses too :D

Contact lenses are pretty amazing, Goafer. I don't think you've got anything to worry about. They fit perfectly and you'll be walking about feeling like your eyes have suddenly become perfect.

I don't wear them though because I couldn't get fast enough at taking them in and out. Other than that, I have no reservations about them. They're certainly worth a try!

It's nice to have the option of both. Glasses can radically change someones appearance I think. For instance, most people at work don't know I wear glasses so if I rocked up at the office with them on everyone would be like :wtf: ha.

Same with someone who wears glasses all the time, to then not.

That's basically going to be me. I've worn glasses for about 10 years now, so people aren't going to be used to my naked face. It'll be nice to have sunglasses that I don't have to get specially made too.

Contact lenses are pretty amazing, Goafer. I don't think you've got anything to worry about. They fit perfectly and you'll be walking about feeling like your eyes have suddenly become perfect.

Yeah, I figure I'll get on with them fine. If other people can do it, I see no reason why I can't, given that I've become desensitized to eye poking due to hayfever. I do wonder how my eyes will react once they're in though. Not a lot I can do about that I guess so I'll just have to wait and see.

I just did a trial run of poking myself in the eye in the fashion of inserting a lens. I misjudged it and poked myself in the eye pretty hard. Epic fail. At least I know I can do it easily enough.

If people ACTUALLY want a deal online, look for daysoft. I've bought them there for a couple of years now and they deliver for about half the price of specsavers. So I just got to specs for my contact lense check but don't order any.

As for contacts, I wear them whenever I'm actually doing something but try to wear my glasses at least once a week otherwise I can tell my eyes get dry.

I love dailies, they are so easy to use and then just throw away. Apparently you can buy some that you use for a few weeks and then they just dissolve in your eye naturally. Strange but sound really useful.

I've had my contacts for a few days so far. Some things I've noticed:

My glasses distort at the edges, whereas my contacts don't, making me dizzy when I switch between contacts and glasses.

I'm a bit shit at putting contacts in, but I can take them out like a pro.

My glasses did a good job of keeping my hair out of my eyes.

I keep going to push my glasses back into position when I'm not wearing them.

All in all, I definitely prefer wearing contacts. So much more practical, although I think I prefer how I look with glasses.

After wearing glasses constantly for about 6 years or so, I decided to try contacts a couple of months ago.

I actually really liked them, it was so nice not having to worry about where I'd put my glasses, what I would do if it was raining or worry about the irritating steaming up of glasses that often happens during the winter. I plan to get some more very soon and make it a regular thing, possibly even make them a full time replacement for glasses. Apart from it being a little bit nicer practically, once you get used to putting them in, I just felt a bit more confident wearing them - I just think I look better without glasses.

I can appreciate that they're not for everyone, but if you've been wearing glasses for a while and are thinking of trying it, go for it.

Anyone who used to wear glasses and now goes for contacts is a bitch.

And they're officially out of the glasses club.

Which as everyone knows, is the coolest club in town.