NEurope
dazzybee

Letterbox

I wanted to know if I could include some people's fakemon in my fakemon project? With full credit, of course. Some of them are excellent.

I wanted to know if I could include some people's fakemon in my fakemon project? With full credit, of course. Some of them are excellent.

You have my permission for using my Fakémon:laughing:

Would be nice to see some Hamishmashified.

Yeah, mine too, of course. Although I don't think a baby Rayquaza would really fit into the game's rules about not being able to breed legendaries. ;)

Got another incredible letter from Red Shell, Reggie's shiny chin blew me away once more

Yes it's true... (If you saw my letter, you'd know what I'm talking about)

wf6ivl.jpg

And the Andrew (Star Fox Assault) example for further proof...

star-fox-assault-20050119110248226_640w.jpg

It's pretty obvious in the SF64 ending too (look at their legs!)

I feel like such a moron for not noticing it before!

Originally Posted by Director Daiji Imai

Even then, it was shaping up quite nicely. But it had a few weaknesses. For example, the Nintendo DSi system itself didn't have the Friend List 7, so we put that function into the software. But you could only register 18 friends. Another big weakness was that you had to manually access the server all the time to check whether you have received a diary from others or not. It was unavoidable that sometimes you would think, "Did it come in? Argh! It didn't!"

Imagine using Letterbox on DSi. :hmm: Its a far more streamlined application on the 3DS.

Originally Posted by Programmer Satoshi Takenouchi

We tried various kinds of 3D representation and multiple color pens. If you do that, though, the controls get complicated and it turns into software only for those with artistic skills. So I carefully selected what functions to include and placed emphasis on something that anyone could write easily, send right away, and use comfortably. As a result, I feel like it turned out to be something that many people can use.

Imagine the carnage if there were more colours to use in Letterbox! Interesting to see the decisions that went into making Letterbox what it is - I bet they held a lot of stuff back so it wouldn't clash with Flipnote Studio.

Just made my Fakémon for the latest Fakémon challenge, but I didn't have enough ink to name it.

I call this bright mole Pokémon: Blimp

Anyone know how to add MP3 tunes to letters, have 1 saved on the SD card and made a recording of it. I do have the recordings feature unlocked as well, but it won't add.

Or just write the song down and send it as a message. :heh:

Seriously though, I believe sound clip attachments are limited to 5-seconds only atm?

Since it's not possible to reply twice in Letterbox:

In the hot-swap thread by @RedShell, @Hamishmash didn't understand why hot-swappers are in such a hurry to not have time to power off the device before swapping game cartridges. Well, for me it's not about being in a hurry it's more like it has become a (bad?) habit and convenience. :)

I think the warning about hot-swapping is to eliminate users from inserting/ejecting cartridges during game-saves. On older home consoles and handhelds I would always turn off the device before swapping, but with my newer Nintendo handhelds (DSi, 3DS) I hot-swap all the time without having any issue so far. I just always make sure the game's ended and no savings going on.

Sorry for being off-topic.

Edited by cvl

Yeah I always make sure I'm completely out the game before hot swapping, never knew it was even remotely an issue!!

And how unbelievably stupid is it you can't have conversations in Letterbox; my brain oozes a little when i try and think of the logic of the decision!

I thought hot swapping was LITERALLY removing the catridge as the game was still going on. On the 3DS I always go back to the main menu and make sure that game is closed before the removing it. I don't turn off the console though, you're not really supposed to.

No hot swapping is swapping cartridges without turning the machine off, not with the game still on. That's just weird :)

Pretty sure the manual says to power off before swapping carts, so I do. I have hot swapped on it before though.

Also noticed I have Nikki in my Mii Plaza now, think she appears with the letter she sent out.

No hot swapping is swapping cartridges without turning the machine off, not with the game still on. That's just weird :)

I was wondering why everyone I thought was normal seemed to have gone mental.

I don't think the 3DS is really designed to EVER be turned off. I think they prefer you to always leaving it charging in the stand and only turn it off occasionally.

I have always taken my game cart out on the main menu after closing the game... I didn't think that was a problem? It's not reading from the cart just like how all the other consoles you can change the game from the main menu as it doesn't read the disc?

I think this has all started due to RedShell's mental breakdown. I think everyone has been doing the right thing, but he confused us. I think it is all our duties to now destroy him with everything we have in mario kart!

I've never hot-swapped a cartridge (I do it with USB leads on the computer, but not with games on my consoles). I just can't get the "Megadrive" mentality out of my head - people used to write to the magazines saying they'd ruined their Sonic the Hedgehog cartridge by doing so. When my mate got a SNES, he even boasted it had a lock to stop you taking the cartridge out whilst it was turned on. I know times change, but I don't think I'll ever be able to hot swap a cartridge!

As for the logic of no replies (by the thread-starter) in Letterbox, I guess it's to save space and bandwidth - just generally to stop the threads getting out of hand and needing to download 40 letters every time you load it up. Maybe that's another thing that makes me weird, but I do actually understand the logic of it!

I was wondering why everyone I thought was normal seemed to have gone mental.

I don't think the 3DS is really designed to EVER be turned off. I think they prefer you to always leaving it charging in the stand and only turn it off occasionally.

Think of the environment man, THE ENVIRONMENT

---

Also, regarding my last 'Name That Character', it's surpising that no one has actually got it right yet.

It's actually VIVIAN! (not Viviana, Madam Flurry or some Mrs. Pac-Man thing:laughing:)

Also, regarding my last 'Name That Character', it's surpising that no one has actually got it right yet.

It's actually VIVIAN! (not Viviana, Madam Flurry or some Mrs. Pac-Man thing:laughing:)

Ah, I could tell it was a character from Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, but I couldn't remember her name, so I assumed "Madam Flurry" was correct. It was well-drawn as usual though. I knew who it was straight away (just not her name!)

I think this has all started due to RedShell's mental breakdown. I think everyone has been doing the right thing, but he confused us. I think it is all our duties to now destroy him with everything we have in mario kart!
How is asking a question a mental breakdown? :heh:

I just wanted to find out how other 3DS owners were swapping games, because the 3DS manual clearly states that you should power off first, which seems really weird to me because of hot-swapping being a big feature on the DSi, and I couldn't understand why Nintendo wouldn't keep it for the 3DS. ::shrug:

They obviously have though, as so many of you have pointed out. So now I just don't get why the manual says not to hot-swap. If the feature is there, why not inform people of it? :confused:

Was only joking RedShell; you can dodge blueshells, I wouldn't want to upset any man who can dodgy blueshells!

I thought hot swapping was LITERALLY removing the catridge as the game was still going on. On the 3DS I always go back to the main menu and make sure that game is closed before the removing it. I don't turn off the console though, you're not really supposed to.

Not swapping is just the case of removing the game cartridge/disc whilst the machine is on - that is regardless of whether the game is running or not. Back in the day, you couldn't turn the game off without turning the machine off and so your only choice was to rip the game out even though it was running.

The old Stop and Swap thing with Banjo-Kazooie would have required you to pull the game out whilst it was running as there was no menu to revert back too. It was just canned because a) it's not exactly friendly on the hardware, and b) the N64 under went changes to it's design that made the idea physically impossible on newer models since it couldn't hold the information long enough for the other cart to be put in.

I normally end up putting the game cart I want to play in my 3DS before I start it up but I still swap them out at the main menu screen if I want to play something else.

Also noticed I have Nikki in my Mii Plaza now, think she appears with the letter she sent out.

I only spotted that today too and was very confused for a minute or two, haha.

Also wit regards the swapping of carts.

I never turn off to switch carts but I always do it from the Home Menu.... I'd imagine if you did it while in game it would either freeze the game or give you a message saying to reinsert the game.

Doing from the home menu though I'm pretty sure is allowed.

It wouldn't have been possible before on previous handhelds/consoles (bar the DSi and Wii) as of course there was no Home Menus before so the game would always be on when the system is on.