NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

[RUMOR] Command & Conquer Alliances

This game's been rumoured for a while. This started off a while back, when it was announced that Victory Games was to be the new C&C developer. It was later rumoured that the studio was linked to EA's Bioware studio. Now, with the 2011 VGA's upon us, and Bioware's new game announcement coming, this news story has appeared:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/04/command-conquer-alliances-outed-by-domain-registration/

It seems that EA have registered the following domains:

alliances-commandandconquer.com

alliancescommandandconquer.com

candcalliances.com

candctiberiumalliances.com

commandandconquer-alliances.com

commandandconqueralliance.com

commandandconqueralliances.com

commandandconquertiberiumalliances.com

generalsalliance.com

generalsalliances.com

redalertalliance.com

redalertalliances.com

tiberianalliances.com

tiberiumalliance.com

tiberiumalliances.com

So, it seems the rumor may be true, and that the new C&C game might be called 'Command & Conquer Alliances'. Considering the VGA's are on Saturday, this timing doesn't feel like much of a coincidence.

What intrigues me the most is the latter domains, that reference the Tiberium, Red Alert and Generals series. I have a feeling that this could be a merging of all the C&C universes.

Peronally, I hope it's all true. It's been a while since a good C&C game was released and maybe a new take on the franchise is what the series needs. The merging of all timelines could work, if done right (if my theory is correct, of course...)

Edited by CoolFunkMan

I always thought they were loosely connected anyway. The Red Alert timeline has gone pretty crazy now though. I'm a bit of a veteran of the series. I was gutted that the only way I could play the recent installments was on Xbox but to their credit the controls were done pretty damn well in Red Alert 3 and Kane's Wrath. Really enjoyed the C&C 3 series however Red Alert 3 was intentionally cheesy and cartoonish and I don't think it should've been. The previous 2 were wild in terms of story but at least they were semi-serious about it. Being able to build on sea was a nice touch but all the units just looked daft. Moving around these ridiculous looking tanks with huge oversized canons...kept thinking they'd just shoot and a flag with 'BANG' on would come out. Very disappointed. Really lament the loss of Westwood studios. Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 were my favourites so i'm interested to see what a new studio can do with it. I think a merging of the story lines would be really cool. Not too much of a push for the imagination considering both Allies and Soviets have time travel.

Have to agree with you on Red Alert 3, it didn't feel the same as the other games. EA deffinitely went ott in terms of style and presentation. I did like the mechanics, with units having secondary functions, but the base building mechanics were way too complex. Plus, The Empire of the Rising Sun were out of place. They were overpowered and didn't fit into the Red Alert universe at all, it felt like they were added for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong, it was decent, but just didn't feel the same.

I've played and completed Red Alert 2 plus Yuri's Revenge recently (and even obtained an old computer, just so I could play them!) In my opinion, they're both still the best C&C games of the entire franchise. They were fun, simple and easy to play, plus oozed character. Even though they had a lot of humor and sillyness, they still had a gritty darker side to them. In my opinion, the modern C&C games have lacked that balance.

EA seem to have been too obsessed with adding complex ideas and mechanics to the series, resulting in them loosing the essence of what C&C truly was. With a new studio at the helm, I really hope that that essence can be brought back.

Yeah, RA2 + YR, very good games even today! Ra3 was good too, I liked the co-op style missions, even though they did cut the complexity a bit. For me, the cheesiness was totally part of the charm, so fun watching those videos : D In fact, that's why the Empire felt pretty out of place, because unlike the Allied and Soviet campaigns, theirs had no humour or scantily-clad ladies in it! : o Boooriiing...

As for the C&C games, to be honest nowadays I prefer the RA ones over them. The environments are all grim and desolate, dark colours everywhere, Earth is in ruins etc. That's no fun, just depressing : / RA has colours, wacky units, even wackier storylines, so that's an instant win.

Red Alert 2 is still one of my favourite games, keep going back to playing it every now and again. I did enjoy Red Alert 3 but I agree it did feel like they went a bit overboard.

I also enjoyed C&C3 but havent played it in a while since this laptop I have to use now isnt really powerful enough to run it smoothly. C&C4 didnt interest me anyway after losing base building.

Hmm, I have the decade box, still need to play both the Tiberium series as the Red Alert series from the start till the end. Never was interested in the Generals universe though :|. Even now I have the games, I just can’t be arsed. I guess I should give them a try at one point, but yeah. The C&C era is over.

EA have just announced Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances. Here's the details from VG247:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/14/command-conquer-tiberium-alliances-announced-by-ea/

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances announced by EA

EA’s announced Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances as a browser-based strategy MMO. Being developed by Ultima Online developer Phenomic, it’ll be set within the C&C: Tiberium universe, and is built around HTML5, meaning it can be accessed through any web-compatible device. The announcement of Tiberium Alliances comes as it was announced at the VGAs that BioWare Victory is developing C&C: Generals 2 as a PC exclusive for 2013.

Beta sign-up is here: http://alliances.commandandconquer.com/intro/index?lang=en

Hmmm, interesting. I was hoping for a full product, rather than just a web browser game. Still, I'll sign up anyway...

Sign in to follow this