NEurope
Dog-amoto

The Last Of Us

So I finished the main game last night.

I actually got really into the game towards the end, mainly due to the excellent story. I did love the story and it was told really well.

Same with the character development. I couldn't give a shit about Joel and Ellie at the beginning but I did care for them from the part where Joel got severely injured and you played as Ellie. I thought that particular section was done very well. I really enjoyed the Winter bit too.

I loved the giraffe bit.

Sorry but the gameplay is average. There is nothing mind blowing about it to be honest. It's repetitive. I did enjoy it nonetheless and at times the tension was really good. The puzzles are also too easy with little head scratching happening.

Last night I was really disappointed with the ending. Now after sleeping on it I think it was down to me wanting more story! Although Joel may have been selfish I can definitely understand why he made the decision he did. As I was in the hospital and listening to the tapes I had already made my decision what I would do - same as Joel.

I really enjoyed murdering the surgeons. There was no option. Only option I had was whether I buthered them with my upgraded axe or to burn them with my flamethrower.

I think what disappointed me with the ending was the absence of any decent big bad boss fight. Basically it was more of the same that I had done before - stealth section.

Overall the story telling made up the average gameplay. I did however thorougly enjoy the game towards the end. A very good experience!

Edited by Blade

So I've finished The Last of Us. I enjoyed it mostly, it is a good game but I do think it's heavily overrated.

The story is good but the gameplay is average and very very repetitive! What I didn't like was the character movement, far too fidgety and floaty.

If it wasn't for the story I'd score it less (it's similar to Eternal Darkness in this manner for me, good story but just ok gameplay).

The end was a bit meh. I'm glad it finished as I had no desire to play anymore of it.

I'd have let the Fireflies operate. "The bigger picture" and all that jazz, even though I understand why Joel didn't... I just thought he was weak.

8/10

@lostmario in regards to you saying people would bum it if Retro did it, I really don't think they would. If I compare it to Metroid Prime, it doesn't hold a candle to it. Other than story, MP is vastly superior in every way. Gameplay, control, variation within the gameplay, puzzles... everything. I'd feel a little underwhelmed if Retro made it... as I do that they've made DCKR:TF!

Edited by Kav

Finished the main story earlier on

The whole getting Ellie to the Fireflies was interesting. I felt sorry for Joel at the start and didn't really give a monkeys about Ellie early on, but that changed after Tess died in the Museum. That's when i started to listen to the optional dialogue and learned a bit about them both. I wasn't too fond of fighting Bloaters and Clickers, but the Flamethrower helped a lot in that situation. What i thought was the end with the Giraffes was good, i liked that. And i did wonder when Marlene was in the hospital why she asked Joel to take her to the Fireflies when she could have done that herself.

Story-wise, that was interesting. I felt it to be a cross between The Walking Dead and I Am Legend in terms of the survival and hunting. I did enjoy playing as Ellie in the winter months, and was wondering if Joel would survive after the accident in Autumn. With the whole Fireflies needing to operate on Ellie to get the cure, i thought that was the ending with Joel dying trying to save her.

I really did enjoy the game, glad i finally played it. Now onto the DLC pack tomorrow.

Hows multiplayer in your opinion?

Only had a few sessions. It was ok, not many playing when i went on.

Hows multiplayer in your opinion?

Here is my opinion - as per usual you don't read threads (not the first time I've picked you up on this) if you could be arsed to go back just one page you'd see peoples opinions on multiplayer but for you that one click back is too much hard work. Can someone really be so genuinely annoying by accident?

Have a nice day : peace:

ee78t.jpg

Multiplayer is excellent BTW.

Here is my opinion - as per usual you don't read threads (not the first time I've picked you up on this) if you could be arsed to go back just one page you'd see peoples opinions on multiplayer but for you that one click back is too much hard work. Can someone really be so genuinely annoying by accident?

Multiplayer is excellent BTW.

He was asking Jim specifically

face-blush-svg.jpg

I've put in a stupid amount of time into it, and managed to build a clan of 129 the other day. 1337.

Bought some of the individual perks as well - agility and executioner are super useful.

He was asking Jim specifically

200.gif

I've put in a stupid amount of time into it, and managed to build a clan of 129 the other day. 1337.

Impressive I don't think I've had over 80 by the end of the 12 weeks.

200.gif

Impressive I don't think I've had over 80 by the end of the 12 weeks.

On my PS3 leaderboard I think it says your max was 105, so not too shabby. It actually annoyed me for a while when my max was 104, FYI

On my PS3 leaderboard I think it says your max was 105, so not too shabby. It actually annoyed me for a while when my max was 104, FYI

Ooooh better than I thought then.

I'm about half way through this now, and while I am enjoying it, It's not what I was expecting. Given the unanimous praise this game has garnered on both PS3 and PS4 versions I went into this as if I'd be playing the sure fire game of the forever, but half way through It's not seemed that special.

Please don't read that as me thinking the game is bad or crap, it's not. Far from it. And I am enjoying my play through so far. I just guess given how much positivity surrounds the game I went in with massively high expectations.

But then again, half way through perhaps the second half will be where it all kicks into gear.

Also, talk about an unforgiving trophy list for the PS4 Remaster, geeez.

Major Edit -

After reading a couple of the impressions above and trying to avoid spoilers, it would appear I'm not on my own with regards to feeling slightly under whelmed, but also it does look like the 2nd half changes the pace a bit and becomes more entertaining.

Edited by Murr

I went into the game not knowing much about it, except that some people liked it. How I managed to do know nothing about it by the time the PS4 remaster came out is beyond me but there we go. I loved it - great story, great amounts of fear and tension and the multiplayer is fun to-boot!

Major spoilers for those who havent played it yet.

I love their reactions to the events as they unfold.

I liked the part when they said "when do I get to play" and then got completely enthralled and wrapped up in the story.

I want to playthrough the game again now..

That's the only part of that sentence that really matters :heh: Play and ENJOY : peace:

Just seen that video. Didn't even pay attention to the kids, just to the gameplay/cutscenes.

I knew what was going to happen...but still...

tumblr_mgf3rmXJly1rjkj15o1_500.gif

@Goron_3 remember The Last of Us not only has the DLC but also a deep, strategic and very satisfying multiplayer game too.

I've been wrecking on the PS3 version recently. ND have scammed a fair few quid from me with the new guns and perks.

2 classes which I've been enjoying (skill points in brackets):

Pistol only loadout: silenced burst pistol (3), covert training 2 (4)(STANDARD!), scavenger 2 (4) and gunslinger 1 (2)

- Playing pistol-only with any other sidearm is a ball-ache, but this setup works well. Best to use the pistol at close-medium ranges, and navigate the map accordingly. The pistol's stagger effect really helps to throw off enemy gunfire if you get the first shot in. The copious amounts of ammo you gain from scavenger and gunslinger (more ammo at spawn) means you hardly have to spend parts on ammo, allowing you to invest in upgrades instead, ergo - ridiculous range and clip size for a beastly pistol. Having only one weapon simplifies things because you don't get caught deliberating between weapons, and the reload is rapid, so landing those crucial executions isn't as difficult as you might think (and they are of course always silent). Once you get the burst weapon technique down (target upper body and let the bullets strum up into the enemy's head) crowd control becomes very efficient. If you're a sneaky fucker definitely give it a go.

Go-to loadout: Burst pistol (1), silenced semi-auto rifle (4), covert training 2 (4), scavenger 2 (4)

- Better than the standard revolver + semi-auto set-up because it doesn't feel as much of a disadvantage when swapping to your second firearm. You'll be able to maintain a high ammo count for your primary weapon, and when you do make the switch, you'll have tons of burst ammo to go to town with, and you can afford to be a bit wasteful. With the revolver you have to be more mechanical, and lots of redundant ammo is left in the chamber because it physically can't be used quickly enough.

Neither classes are great for clan-building if you don't concentrate on downs and executions, but if you do they're very fun. Reduces some of the overthinking that accompanies support and multi-weapon set-ups.

My tastes change fairly often though. Success is all about patience and positioning, which some loadouts naturally encourage more than others. Worth limiting yourself to a pistol-only setup to see how you change your map-navigation, and then transfer that to other classes. Liberating restrictions and all that shite. Tl;dr It's easy to overemphasise the brilliance of a set-up.

Finally got round to starting this on PS4 (first ever playthrough).

Those first 10 minutes...good lord.

Finally got round to starting this on PS4 (first ever playthrough).

Best introduction to a game ever?

I bawled like a bitch. Not even ashamed.

Yes, yes. I shed tears.

:(

I need to play this again.

I'd probably put The Last of Us down as my favourite opening to a game.

I've never been as uncomfortable during a game as I was during that bit. Horrible, but so well done.