NEurope
Dog-amoto

The Last Of Us

Is the multiplayer worth checking out though? Not tried that yet.

Multiplayer is brilliant and new dlc maps out later today when the store updates I cant wait.

Too bad nobody else on here plays the multiplayer.

I was slightly disappointed with the ending too, thought that I'd got the "bad ending" and that it would be possible to do things differently at the end to get a different one, but it turns out that's not the case. :hmm:

I'm not sure why gamers feel entitled to multiple endings. In The Last of Us you're playing the character of Joel, and this is his story, it's conclusive and finite. I thought it was the perfect ending because it was surprising and thought-provoking. If we were given more than one ending we wouldn't be left with a character at all, because we'd assume responsibility - you can't project your own values onto Joel as he is clearly defined.

I wasn't comfortable when NaughtyDog shelved my volition in the last gameplay scene, but that's the point. It does raise a good question about agency in games and what it means to the story but blah

//

I might get the map pack considering how I dive into the multiplayer every now and then. Really not bothered with story content for this, I'm happy to box the main experience and wrap it in a bow. On the other hand, BioShock's Burial at Sea looks unmissable.

I'm not sure why gamers feel entitled to multiple endings. In The Last of Us you're playing the character of Joel, and this is his story, it's conclusive and finite. I thought it was the perfect ending because it was surprising and thought-provoking. If we were given more than one ending we wouldn't be left with a character at all, because we'd assume responsibility - you can't project your own values onto Joel as he is clearly defined.

I wasn't comfortable when NaughtyDog shelved my volition in the last gameplay scene, but that's the point. It does raise a good question about agency in games and what it means to the story but blah.

It's not so much feeling entitled to multiple endings, just that I was a bit disappointed with the one we got. And seeing as how multiple endings are a thing (especially in this genre) I just assumed that would be the case. ::shrug:

There were many scenes that had much greater impact, like the one I mentioned in my previous post, which actually got me choked up. :cry: That's what made the ending seem really flat to me, comparing it to other moments of the story.

But at the same time I get where you're coming from, and I can understand why they went with the ending they did, but it doesn't change my impression of it.

This and Breaking Bad had very understated endings, but they were both fantastic. I couldn't think of a better ending for either. They got the Hollywood stuff out of the way before the curtain.

Edited by dwarf

I might get the map pack considering how I dive into the multiplayer every now and then. .

Do it the maps are really good. Then I won't be the only person on here on here who's bought them - I thought Rez would be all over multiplayer but I've never seen him on it.

I'm gonna be honest sometimes I don't want multiple endings....I wanna see a story done through to completion I feel sometimes it can have a greater emotional impact and that is certainly how I with Last of Us....and other examples as Assasins' Creed 3 was reaching it's climax I was like please don't make me choose that's dumb...

I got them day 1 Cooks, they're decent. Problem is you get pitted against clans and people with monstrous skill in every game - I haven't once seen your name crop up on the opposition team ;)

I'm not surprised Rez prefers Unch, I do as well. That tense feeling I used to get when playing it has faded into frustration, it feels like cheap tactics can win out over cautious play quite frequently. Too much time is spent picking up and crafting items and crawling around slowly between areas of the map, where you're not really exercising much in the way of choice or skill . I enjoy it, I just take more to the frantic Unch style of competition.

I got them day 1 Cooks, they're decent. Problem is you get pitted against clans and people with monstrous skill in every game - I haven't once seen your name crop up on the opposition team ;)

I'm not surprised Rez prefers Unch, I do as well. That tense feeling I used to get when playing it has faded into frustration, it feels like cheap tactics can win out over cautious play quite frequently. Too much time is spent picking up and crafting items and crawling around slowly between areas of the map, where you're not really exercising much in the way of choice or skill . I enjoy it, I just take more to the frantic Unch style of competition.

Depends who you play with mate - I've played with a bunch of friends against groups who's rankings are in there hundreds and we've beaten them.

The new maps are excellent I think as they encourage in a lot of cases - close quarters combat and add some more verticality to multiplayer too.

If you have a team who are all mic'd up I think you have a huge adavantage.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Had an incredible match on Bookstore though where my random team was paired against a clan, we were getting dicked for half the match until we all tacitly decided to hold out on the top floor. We made the comeback of the season. Unfortunately that map only rarely crops up.

Interesting.....

The Last Of Us story DLC has been a piece of gaming content that many have been waiting on, with various teases appearing over the last few months. Now Geoff Keighley of GTTV has tweeted that Naughty Dog will be revealing details of what the DLC will hold at the PS4 All Access Event this week.

It’s interesting that even though details of the DLC will be welcomed they will be revealed at a PS4 focused event. It’s easy to jump to conclusions and think this could be a clue to The Last Of Us releasing on PS4, though that has been denied by Naughty Dog. It’s more likely that even though the PS4 and its games will be the centre piece of the event, Sony will still be showcasing the strengths of the PS3 and the continued support of the console, which is where The Last Of Us DLC comes in.

Not sure what I think of this. I was hoping that the DLC would stay clear of the characters in the main game.

Sweet! Its a prequel right?

Yeah, I remember Ellie talking about sneaking into a mall and I think it's featured in the comic as well.

Looking forward to any single player dlc, but I'm a bit sceptical to a prequel. Day one buy anyway though.

So I started this, the opening was just incredible. Then it went 20 years into the future and became horrifically generic, the boring cover and shoot gameplay from uncharted... lost all enthusiasm to keep playing. Played it again last night and found the young girl so I guess it's about to kick in, but I'm going to leave it, I have a horrifically small tele with disastrous sound in Paris so going to wait til i come back home in april and play it on a huge tele in surround sound.

But I presume the game infinitely better? How much of this cover and shoot gameplay is there because I find it incredibly dull.

So I started this, the opening was just incredible. Then it went 20 years into the future and became horrifically generic, the boring cover and shoot gameplay from uncharted... lost all enthusiasm to keep playing. Played it again last night and found the young girl so I guess it's about to kick in, but I'm going to leave it, I have a horrifically small tele with disastrous sound in Paris so going to wait til i come back home in april and play it on a huge tele in surround sound.

But I presume the game infinitely better? How much of this cover and shoot gameplay is there because I find it incredibly dull.

The game certainly does get better. It plays more like a stealth game than a run and gun though. Whether or not you enjoy it will come from whether or not you get hooked on the story and characters. At least this that's what it was like for me. I loved the story, characters, setting but found the gameplay to be a bit flat.

From what I remember, shooting anything non human resulted in them all raping you. I think stealth (+crafting) was usually a better way or doing it.

Ah okay, I don't want to get raped :) Though seeing the girl....

Maybe it was just the opening sections. I'm usually AWFUL at stealth games (Metal Gear, Splinter Cell etc) and always end up in gun fights... If the game is anything like that opening I'm sure it'll be incredible though, but was just surprised at how Unchartedy the action was.

Ah okay, I don't want to get raped :) Though seeing the girl....

She's 14

But that never stopped ReZ.

Actually Ellie´s voice actress is pretty cute. I saw her in Joss Whedon´s Much ado about nothing.

If you don't like the first couple hours, don't bother with the rest. You'll just be waiting your time. The game builds from beginning to end. If you don't like it now, you aren't going to like it later.

So it is just generic cover and shoot gameplay and not like the opening sequence?

So it is just generic cover and shoot gameplay and not like the opening sequence?

Out of interest, have you reached the clickers (outside the protected area of the city)? That's when you get your first taste at the full gameplay.