NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Board Games!

So, I've recently been discovering the stunning world of german-style board games as me and the housemate and a couple of other friends get together every week to have a board game night!

So I've just recently been discovering and getting into Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Tigris & Euphrates and Carcassonne, and I gotta say, I'm loving some of them!! We still play the odd Monopoly or Risk game, too, they are classics, after all!

So... what are your favourite board games and why? And which ones do you recommend??

I only recently played some Settlers of Catan for the first time, and I enjoy it! It seemed a bit complicated at first, but once you're playing it, it becomes pretty clear. I've only played something like 4 games, but it's fun. My aunt (who took it with her so we could play) is obsessed with it, she has the DS version of the game and plays it for hours. =P

My sister has Carcassonne and I've only played it once, a long time ago. I think it's sorta similar to Catan? It seemed fun too really, but since I only played it once I can't judge!

My mom and aunt wanted to set up a boardgame evening once a week, but so far nothing has happened yet. Maybe I should tell them to finally do it. =P

Paj! , ReZ anD I (band name?) all play Heroclix. (Not all together, since I've never actually met ReZ (this needs to be rectified)). It's a really great game, been playing almost 6 years!

And they're releasing a Lord Of The Rings set early next year which is going to be completely compatible with the existing Marvel / DC figures. I'm surprisingly into it.

Paj! , ReZ anD I (band name?) all play Heroclix. (Not all together, since I've never actually met ReZ (this needs to be rectified)). It's a really great game, been playing almost 6 years!

And they're releasing a Lord Of The Rings set early next year which is going to be completely compatible with the existing Marvel / DC figures. I'm surprisingly into it.

Heroclix is considered a board game now?

Diplomacy is awesome, but loooooooooong, and you need 7 interested and dedicated players for the best experience. In terms of more family/non-elimination/less-than-10-hour-games things, I'm a recent convert to Ticket to Ride - it's surprisingly enjoyable, and every time I've played everyone's had a good time. It's especially good as no one gets eliminated, and you can't tell if someone's clearly in the lead until you've finished, keeping everyone engaged (which I normally find is the issue with board games) as they have a steak in winning to the last.

I've played Catan a few times with Dan Dare, who seems to think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Cranium is my favourite, I like the variety.

I don't care if Heroclix counts or not but I fucking fucking fucking fucking love it so so so so much. In the last three or four years I have only even played it once with Mike when he was down a few months ago and it was the happiest half hour of my recent life.

Despite no longer playing it (no one to play it with) I still keep fully upto date with the new sets, always eager to see new sculpts etc. How many games can boast being able to fight Spider-Man VS Batman VS Marcus Fenix VS Master Chief VS Ryu VS Frodo Baggins?!

LOTR Clix looks brilliant. Really really great new rules in it to have epic big battles. The new set looks great too (Hulk) with a special Punisher with a weapon swap ability, you can literally swap out figures and sculpts for different weapons. Ah love it.

---------------

Cluedo. Fucking love the shit out of Cluedo. Its just amazing. Professor Plum is the king.

Monopoly is good shit.

Scrabble is annoying because players are so unbelievably fucking slow.

Balderdash is amazing.

But I think the king of board games is probably Scattergories. You can have long or short games, its varied and it is a lot of fun and it can be very tense, the last thing of which is something that not many board games can boast (in such an instant way at least).

I've recently gotten into them as well, nothing too big as Catan, I've picked up Zombies and the 2nd Expansion, I'll be picking up a few more as well, I love it and my GF loves it too, it's based on a Zombie Apocalypse, but the game changes every time because you lay the board games out by drawing riles from the pile, placing zombies, battling them, person who gets 25 zombies are gets to the middle of the Helipad tile wins.

I have looked at a few different games, i'll be picking Munchkin up soon, it looks fun, I have looked at Ticket To Ride, also Bohnanza is supposed to be good.

I haven't played board games since I was like...11 :weep: I had a weird/kids version Scrabble, Harry Potter version of Cluedo, and Pokémon Master Trainer. Used to play Monopoly and chess at primary school on snow days.

Ok, this is in Finnish, but you'll get the idea. To counter the more strategy-oriented board games, here's a game that's all about relaxation and fun, i.e. Weapons & Warriors! We had the castle game at some point as well, although not anymore...anyway, a very simple and enjoyable game. Just throw dice, aim and shoot! No thinking, just aiming skill coupled with a little luck :D Totally awesome...

I have looked at a few different games, i'll be picking Munchkin up soon, it looks fun,

Muchkin is great. It's basically a simple RPG without all the complicated rules, but with all the fun, and it pokes so much fun at RPGs and gamer culture in general. Plus, you can easily combine as many of the different sets as you like, creating such amazing combos as cowboy vampire monks in space!

I love board games, but I don't play them often due to lack of people to play with. One of my friends and I often play chess and Stratego when he's here, and I do love to play classics like Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Bezzerwizzer and so forth, but again, only where there are people around.

Risk was probably my favourite back when I was younger.. I really miss not really being able to play it with anyone now :hmm:Monopoly is, of course, an obvious choice but I also like a game of Draughts now and again or Cluedo :smile:

Maybe if I ever have kids some day I'll be able to play loads of board games again :indeed:

So, I've recently been discovering the stunning world of german-style board games as me and the housemate and a couple of other friends get together every week to have a board game night!

So I've just recently been discovering and getting into Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Tigris & Euphrates and Carcassonne, and I gotta say, I'm loving some of them!! We still play the odd Monopoly or Risk game, too, they are classics, after all!

So... what are your favourite board games and why? And which ones do you recommend??

German-style..?

Catan is the gateway drug, a great beginner's introduction to the strategy of games. A couple of nights ago I was playing Small World, something which I'd say is a step up/along (diagonal?) from Catan - once you know the ruleset it's quick and easy, with enough variety game-on-game. Similar to the DOS game Isle Wars, or Risk, but... not. It also begins to integrate the whle idea of classes and powers that you find heavily control the intense games (D&D!)

Carcassonne is alright but I don't really care for it much.

Card-based games, such as Munchkins, rely on power-sets and classes and stuff... I've played a few but I do get confused/bored. Recently played Citadels, which is an incredibly simple and quick game.

Order of the Schtick (or just stick?) is a mix of card-and-D&D -- card-based but you build the dungeon as you go. Can take hoursandhoursandhours. My problem is that I tend to have the wrong strategy from the get-go and it's just a waste of time after that.

I've recently gotten into them as well, nothing too big as Catan, I've picked up Zombies and the 2nd Expansion, I'll be picking up a few more as well, I love it and my GF loves it too, it's based on a Zombie Apocalypse, but the game changes every time because you lay the board games out by drawing riles from the pile, placing zombies, battling them, person who gets 25 zombies are gets to the middle of the Helipad tile wins.

I have looked at a few different games, i'll be picking Munchkin up soon, it looks fun, I have looked at Ticket To Ride, also Bohnanza is supposed to be good.

Yet to finish a game of Zombies, despite three attempts. Wanna love it due to zombies but it's just not well balanced. Zombie Dice is quicker, easier and more straight forward.

I've heard a lot about ticket to ride - from the same company that made Small World... I think...

I have a couple of friends who get together every tuesday night and play games. One of them has a massive collection of niche games that take an hour to understand and up to 10 to play. He was trying to tell me about the different games companies behind the games and the history of the board game... There's certainly a lot there to get involved with, and it made me realise that I didn't really understand D&D players at all, I just looked down on them. Now I understaaand.

Oh, and @Oxigen_Waste go to the movie thread and recommend me some movies that are like the list I posted.

Cluedo. Fucking love the shit out of Cluedo. Its just amazing. Professor Plum is the king.

Did you know that he's no longer in the game? They changed all the characters. Cornell Mustard is now a retired football player and I can't remember his name.

I've played Balderdash once and it was immense. Except ReZ always drew a cock.

Did you know that he's no longer in the game? They changed all the characters. Cornell Mustard is now a retired football player and I can't remember his name.

WHAT. Noooooooooo :hmm:

Professor Plum has been completely reinvented as Victor Plum, a self-made video game designer.

Hahahaha.

Muchkin is great. It's basically a simple RPG without all the complicated rules, but with all the fun, and it pokes so much fun at RPGs and gamer culture in general. Plus, you can easily combine as many of the different sets as you like, creating such amazing combos as cowboy vampire monks in space!

That's why I want to get it, the combination of everything seems fun, I'm going to get the deluxe version first, then if I enjoy it grab a couple expansion, Portal Kombat stood out to me that's why I looked the game up,

Yet to finish a game of Zombies, despite three attempts. Wanna love it due to zombies but it's just not well balanced. Zombie Dice is quicker, easier and more straight forward.

We've had 4 games so far, GF has won all 4 ;-; even when she was playing for me to win she won, but it's fun though, you should try custom rules, makes it fun:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/324193/my-complete-llst-of-variants-used-to-make-this-gam

http://unclevl.frothersunite.com/Zombies/Zombies.html

@ReZourceman, can you me and chair have a battle one day? Thing is, all our clix at my house in Edinburgh, so it's not simply a case of 'meeting up in London'. One day, it will be ok. [/Delta Goodrem]

I love board games but have only played the very famous. Cludeo, Monopoly (OBV), Taboo, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit yawn,

Trivial Pursuit is possibly my favourite...

Though Risk is amazing. I've played it like 5 times and never lost (probably more due to luck). Not played it in like a decade though.

Balderdash is brilliant, so much potential for bullshit and humour.

Board games I loved as a child... monopoly, boggle and Dungeons and Dragons (not the RPG nerd game [which I've never played but I'm sure I'd love] but a board game).

I've only really played the most well known board games.

This is the worst thing I've ever heard. What the hell.

I've played Balderdash once and it was immense. Except ReZ always drew a cock.

Drawing penis' enhances the experience of any activity in life by approximately 15%.

@ReZourceman, can you me and chair have a battle one day? Thing is, all our clix at my house in Edinburgh, so it's not simply a case of 'meeting up in London'. One day, it will be ok. [/Delta Goodrem]

100% up for it. It shouldn't be too big of a problem though, as I have all my clix collection on hand so you could give me a list (as long as its not the last year or two's worth of sets) and there is a strong chance I'll have them I guess.

We should seriously genuinely do this and like you guys did recently do a story day. So like three to four 300-500 point matches, of like "The Hunt For Hulk", where each of us plays a group of mercanaries/street level characters + one 100-200 point Hulk figure, (Hulk has been cloned) and have to capture (kill the entire opposition) the other Hulks. Then like....Hulks gang up and destroy the city (map change) and the X-Men VS Avengers VS Spider-Man whatever have to kill each other due to radioactive poisoning or whatever, then you find out The Leader is behind it all, and it culminates in a gargantuan, like.....double map, 900 point each match for winzickles.

Or something. Like three smaller games and one massive one., Etc.

German-style..?

Yes.

Carcassonne is alright but I don't really care for it much.

Same, which was why I mentioned it last. It's okay, but I don't really get the hype.

I never really cared much for cluedo, it's a bit too easy!

I tried the XBLA version of Carcassonne (it was free for everyone in Europe) and didn't quite understand it.

Trivial Pursuit is possibly my favourite...

I like TP, but it's a bit too obvious, not really a "game" game.

Cluedo is easy? What do you mean exactly. Surely a board game is only as easy as your opposition makes it. I certainly wouldn't consider Cluedo "easy" its a simple-ruled game but to be the best you need to keep your fucking wits about you.