NEurope
WiiUMarryMii

Gamasutra editor will ban you if you make him look silly!

Got banned at Gamasutra merely because I pointed out some constructive criticisms to the editor of that site, Kris Graft.

Now, I am not really complaining here about being banned. Not looking for you to agree with me either or to hate on Gamasutra. I still love that site and you should too.

Its just that this whole episode between me and the editor of Gamasutra was so damn funny to me. Because I never expected him to ban me for simply writing my opinion about his article. And I didn't break any TOS or used any vulgar language to warrant such a move from him. I simply pointed out that he sounded a bit naive during the interview. That's about it, really.

Basically, Kris from Gamasutra asked the Ubisoft CEO this:

"Ubisoft is known for investing in new platforms very early. You did that with the Nintendo Wii and DS, and that did very well for you for awhile. And then I think you guys were surprised when the bottom fell out of it so fast"

Well, the CEO had to step in and correct Kris Graft by mentioning that right NOW they are very successful on the Wii. This mainly due to Just Dance 2 - Which according to recent NPD data, was only the #1 videogame OVERALL in the US for this year (2011). Beating out anything the PS3 or 360 had to offer that same year. The CEO mentioned that at present 45% of their business is currently invested on the Wii. Not too shabby.

Now please consider this: Gamasutra is an industry site that boasts to be the Bible of the gaming industry. One that makes public numbers, charts and informs about how well software and hardware sales are going. They do that every day.

And yet - Read carefully folks - IMO the EDITOR of Gamasutra came off sounding a bit naive when he told THE ONLY 3RD PARTY DEV ON THE WII TO BE HUGELY SUCCESSFUL ON SAID CONSOLE (Ubisoft), about the floor being pulled under them. Because according to the editor - Kris Graft - the Wii stopped being profitable after only a few years on the market. And yet, all the data concerning Ubisoft & the Wii totally contradicts the editors view on the matter. The very CEO of Ubisoft had to correct the editor in chief of GAMASUTRA. Informing him on stuff that HE SHOULD'VE KNOWN as the head of such an industry gaming site.

What should've he known? Only this:

Kris Graft should've known that Ubisoft's Just Dance 2 was the # 1 title OVERALL in the US and that sold beyond 10 million copies. I mean, Gamasutra's contributor Mike Rose had previously published that very info on the site. It was no secret how successful Just Dance 2 had been in the last 9 months. It even topped the charts in the UK.

Kris Graft should've known that he was talking to Ubisoft - a company that did what no other company could - make a profit on the Wii. Not just in the era when it was considered a fad (back in 2006-2008) but also profitable for them NOW. In 2011. When Just Dance 2 and 3 are pulling in the cash by the millions.

So I simply pointed all that out to the editor. I told him that it was naive of him to forget all that when talking to Ubisoft. If he was talking to another dev, then sure it would apply to them. But saying that the Wii was a sinking ship to Ubisoft was well, a silly idea. Because it just isn't a sinking ship to Ubisoft. Look at the numbers, dammit. And even the CEO of the company had to make that clear to the editor. That was embarrassing, no doubt. But you are suppose to learn from such mistakes, right?

Well... no. The editor didn't take it very kindly of me pointing that out so he banned me. I guess it sorta makes sense because how could the head honcho of Gamasutra (of all sites) forget how successful Ubisoft was and IS on the Wii? That site is suppose to be on top of everything, right? :laughing:

Anyway, just wanted to warn anyone about posting a comment on any article written by Kris Graft. If you do, you should try to compliment him and not make him look silly or naive. Or else! :lol:

As for me, I'll simply read their articles from now on (not that I have any choice)

As for me, I'll simply read their articles from now on (not that I have any choice)

You could simply not read them.

You could simply not read them.

No, I love their articles and reading their info. Regardless of my issues with a particular editor, they usually give good info.

I just decided to give Editor Kris my opinion on his latest article and well... it didn't go well! He was a bit touchy today. :laughing:

So now I'm strictly a reader only of that site.

Yeah, there is a choice here. Quite simple, don't read them as Magnus said.

And, if no-one can handle critisism, then don't be a writer. Simple as really.

Well, I've seen similar reactions coming from moderators at IGN (where I'm still a member).

There is this moderator at the Resident Evil board who writes Fanfiction. If you dare give her any sort of criticism (moderator is a girl named Amber) she gives you a hard time for days and days. She will not forget what you said. There was this user there that said that her fics were just "okay" and whenever he made a new topic, she would write nonsense in them to get things off-topic and eventually lock it. Seriously. Gotta watch out for some mods. :D

But yeah, the editor of Gamasutra writes articles and actually becomes actively involved in the discussions. With the readers of his articles. I guess he should be aware that when he does that, he will find people with a different take on his articles. I do think it was a bit harsh of him to ban me for giving him my opinion. But I guess he can since he's the top dog at that site.

Yeah, especially mods and admins on internet forums seem to be prone to it - immature internet geeks, I believe. :heh: Luckily I haven't seen it happen to anyone on N-Europe, though - it's one of the reasons this place is so great compared to many other forums. :)

I stopped reading when you said that that Just Dance 2 was the number 1 video game of the last year in the US.

Yeah but that's based on NPD numbers just from THIS YEAR, dude. From January and September 2011. Not counting games from the previous fiscal year.

Crap, I can't post a url here because of my low post count...

Just google this story from LazyGamer "The best-selling console games of 2011 to date. What’s at number one?". It shows you the numbers and Just Dance 2 being the #1 game in the US in that period of time I wrote you about.

@Dannyboy\-the\-Dane LOL I sure hope the mods here are a bit more tolerant with opinionated users. :D

Its okay.

It was just me venting here. Nothing important really.

But hey, this whole deal got me to join another site, eh? I actually used to be a member here back in the Cube days. But forgot my password & user name. I guess I have to start from scratch.

Yeah, especially mods and admins on internet forums seem to be prone to it - immature internet geeks, I believe. :heh: Luckily I haven't seen it happen to anyone on N-Europe, though - it's one of the reasons this place is so great compared to many other forums. :)

Shut up you Danish bastard :p

The quote you posted doesn't specifically mention money. "The bottom fell out" could refer to the fact that they soon abandoned a lot of 'shovelware' that they churned out during 2005-2008 and they now seem to be focused, primarily, on specific titles that are doing well (and Imagine...).

Why do you join an alternative site to post and complain about something you apparently really don't mind about? That confuses me. Point is amusing, but just regular ol' silly human nature. It's also just one sided.

Its definitely a weird way to introduce yourself to a new forum.

Reminds me of Mad Monkey actually, when he joined he started telling people how it was because he'd been banned from a few forums lately.....we all know why now of course.

AHEM!

Don't make me punch your throat :P

N-Europe's alright, I suppose. Although Ashley does like to be referred to as the Führer on weekends.

Shut up you Danish bastard :p

AHEM!

Don't make me punch your throat :P

I am going to take the fact that you two reacted so strongly to my post to mean you felt it hit you personally! :p

I'm really confused. I've been reading the name of the site as Gamesultra, and was about to say "hey, waitaminute, we've got a Gamesultra guy here." Only just read it as Gamasutra and laughed. That's a brilliant name, in a lame kinda way.

Anyway, I've never heard of that site and don't really care about them. Or Ubisoft. But, welcome to you.

N-Europe's alright, I suppose. Although Ashley does like to be referred to as the Führer on weekends.

What can I say? I like the leather short shorts.

..and Hitler the rest of the week :heh: This is still Nazi-Europe, right..? :blank:

And not a single fuck was given that day.

Same. From the looks of it WiiUMarryMii, you seem to confuse constructive criticism with personal opinion a little too much. In fact, I just finished replying to one of your posts in the 3DS board in which you called "Utter bullcrap" on another members perception of the 3DS as an unfinished product.

You also seem to confuse your personal gaming tastes as evidence why a secondary directional input, such as an analog stick, isn't required for games.

Why am I going into this? Well, looking at your post, it comes across as you're pretty much pointing to a guy at work and screaming "You're shit at this job, you should know this and that off the top of your head because I do and because I know it, I have set a standard for you to meet".

The guy slipped up. Big whoop. I find this quote incredibly funny:

The very CEO of Ubisoft had to correct the editor in chief of GAMASUTRA. Informing him on stuff that HE SHOULD'VE KNOWN as the head of such an industry gaming site.

I'm sorry, but what? You really do seem to make out Gamasutra as some holy deity. Is it supposed to be the other way around? Of course the fucking CEO had to correct him, it's the CEO's job to know his successful franchises.

I'm not saying you're worthy of a ban for doing it, but you come across as overly critical. So critical, you had to go and make your own thread on a completely unrelated website to voice your criticisms against the guy yet again.

People make mistakes bro, live with it. (The irony here is that I'm doing the exact same thing to you what you did to the editor, go figure lol)

Can I make a point here: I've been playing video games for 23 years now, and I've never actually read Gamasutra.

Anyway, I've never heard of that site and don't really care about them. Or Ubisoft. But, welcome to you.

Gamasutra is a pretty great site with an industry focus in the same way as EDGE magazine.

As for this post, there's nothing like being jilted by an editor and then going and complaining about it to a crowd of random strangers. I'd understand if the seeming purpose of your post was to warn about user policy on the site, but really, you're only here to bitch and moan.