NEurope
Mr-Paul

F1 2011

From N-E:

Enjoy Formula One in 3D for the first time on 25th November.

Codemasters have today announced that F1 2011 will be released for the Nintendo 3DS later this month.

The game, previously only available on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, is developed by Sumo Digital and will feature all the official teams, drivers and circuits that racing fans will be familiar with.

The single player mode will feature a full season mode, as well as individual races, time trials and an extensive challenge mode featuring a range of objectives including checkpoint, gate and overtaking challenges.

F1 2011 also features a comprehensive online mode. Up to four racers can take part in a grand prix or time trial against each other, or you can team up with a friend for the two player co-operative career mode.

Players will be able to tailor their game experience by tuning a variety of options including race distance, car set up, tyre, fuel and weather options.

Take a look at the launch trailer below and let us know what you think.

Looks pretty good to me, online mode sounds great! But the annoying thing is the release date - too many other games coming out around this time, and the actual F1 season ends that weekend, so it's a bit late!

It looks a bit N64 like if I'm honest... the water/rain looks terrible! But it's probably about what I expected given that last years Wii version not looking all that great either.

There's something appealing about trying it out on a screen of that size and in 3D though, and I like the sound of the challenges.

However, think I'd rather keep the money and save towards a PS3 for that version.

Any F1 fans, F1 2011, is going to be released on the 3DS on the 25th of November.

Another game shoved within the "2 weeks of bankruptcy", and a week before MK7 no less.

Its going to get absolutely over-shadowed. Is anyone considering this game?

Well at least it's not made by Codemasters, somewhat excuses it's visual shortcomings what with the PSP/Wii version lessons not being learned.

I'm probably going to get it. I enjoyed F1 2009 on Wii for what is was worth and this should hold me over till we get a new home console version (that's supposed to be for Wii U).

Pretty sure I'll get it. F1 2009 on Wii was functional, competent and had an addictive quality despite the evidentally low budget. Will hopefully find plenty of hours to sink into online races on this.

Hmmm. Tempted now it's online. Will wait for it to be a bargain but quite like F1 games (even though I hate the sport).

How dense is it that they're releasing it as it's over though!?

I hope to get this. Will be good if we could get some online races/co-op career going, but might be tough seeing most people's focus will be on Mario Kart.

So did anyone get it?

Got 81% in ONM and there's one youtube review that's pretty glowing but that's about it.

Am very tempted as I'm a big F1 fan but...lack of reviews is worrying.

Also, if fek all peeps get it, I caould be waiting ages to race someone online.

It did get 81% in ONM, but it also got 4/10 on Gamesradar. They stated that the AI in the game is completely broken. At certain tight corners the AI drivers come to a virtual standstill as they don't know how to negotiate the corner, if you then merely touch them with your front end a penalty ensues, with you always being the guilty party.

I am a massive F1 fan and was really looking to this, but will have to reconsider when I can pick it up at a bargain price.

It did get 81% in ONM, but it also got 4/10 on Gamesradar. They stated that the AI in the game is completely broken. At certain tight corners the AI drivers come to a virtual standstill as they don't know how to negotiate the corner, if you then merely touch them with your front end a penalty ensues, with you always being the guilty party.

I am a massive F1 fan and was really looking to this, but will have to reconsider when I can pick it up at a bargain price.

yeah i saw the gamesradar review. Makes me wonder where ONM got the 81% from.

I've been seeing mixed reviews too. I really want to pick it up, might hope to get it as a Christmas present.

Major price drop at ShopTo :-

£15.85

Ordered a copy for myself. Really enjoyed all the racing games I've played on 3DS so far, so let's see if the streak will continue.

Edited by welsh_gamer

I was going to try and get a review copy of this, but with the prices dropping so low, I may just get it as a post xmas gift to myself, despite the average reviews so far.

I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care about reviews and reviewers. It's just one person's opinion anyway. Instead I usually read about the game I'm interested in on game forums (like here) and watch game footage if available on Youtube or similar sites and then form my own opinion.

And so I did with F1 2011 and let me tell you this game is so much fun I can't believe almost no one is talking about it. I've not had as much fun with a fomular one racing game in ages. I also own the F1 2009 on PSP and that's nothing compared to this one - both graphic-, sound-, and gameplay wise F1 2011 on the 3DS is better. Absolutely brilliant little game.

You can set penalising to off, lenient or real life. The AI can be a little aggressive at times and it may not be a 100% true F1 driving simulation game, but it's darn fun nevertheless. A shame no one is online though. At least when I tried yesterday afternoon and evening I was apparently the only one in the whole wide world that was playing hehe. If anyone wants to race online sometime feel free to add me (5069-4046-8127). This game rocks! :)

Edited by cvl

I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care about reviews and reviewers. It's just one person's opinion anyway. Instead I usually read about the game I'm interested in on game forums (like here) and watch game footage if available on Youtube or similar sites and then form my own opinion.

And so I did with F1 2011 and let me tell you this game is so much fun I can't believe almost no one is talking about it. I've not had as much fun with a fomular one racing game in ages. I also own the F1 2009 on PSP and that's nothing compared to this one - both graphic-, sound-, and gameplay wise F1 2011 on the 3DS is better. Absolutely brilliant little game.

You can set penalising to off, lenient or real life. The AI can be a little aggressive at times and it may not be a 100% true F1 driving simulation game, but it's darn fun nevertheless. A shame no one is online though. At least when I tried yesterday afternoon and evening I was apparently the only one in the whole wide world that was playing hehe. If anyone wants to race online sometime feel free to add me (5069-4046-8127). This game rocks! :)

I really enjoyed the Wii F1 2009 title, it got bad reviews, but was damn enjoyable (I even loved playing with the wheel attachment). Popping back to UK in January and will pick this up, just to have a blast.

Hope to see you online in February and will certainly give you a race. In the meantime, I will add your 3DS code, here's mine - 1332-7777-2327.

Here's to the future!

Hi Londragon! Yeah I think the message is to trust your gut when you see a game that you find appealing regardless of whatever ratings it received.

I'm looking forward to racing you next year.

Received my copy from Amazon this morning. I'm liking it so far. Only few gripes is really just with the steering, even setting the sensitivity all the way to the lowest, it's still awkward at times to keep a smooth turn going. Also I really don't know whether to play this with the 3D on or not, I find the game so much smoother (running) with it off, and do find it a little easier to control, but it does look quite nice with the 3D on.

Something I've just noticed, and not sure if it was doing it the whole time, but when I turn the game on, the 3D turns off (as in the 3D green light on the 3DS) and will only come on when I enter the race. For all the menu's and such it's in 2D. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it maybe my game or a setting I accidentally changed?

Also if anyone still plays, I'd love to play some online sometime.

Something I've just noticed, and not sure if it was doing it the whole time, but when I turn the game on, the 3D turns off (as in the 3D green light on the 3DS) and will only come on when I enter the race. For all the menu's and such it's in 2D. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it maybe my game or a setting I accidentally changed?
Think I heard in a review somewhere that the menu's and everything are only in 2D.

Also if anyone still plays, I'd love to play some online sometime.

I'm planning on playing online this month so please feel free to add me. :)

I'm planning on playing online this month so please feel free to add me. :)

Will do, I'll add my code under my avatar soon.

Bought this earlier and despite only playing 50 minutes, I'm not liking it. Definitely not the kind of racer that is suited to handheld gaming, especially on the 3DS. Circle pad doesn't really allow for smooth cornering round long corners and sometimes it'll register as a flick making sudden turns which isn't helpful in a race situation. Using the DRS is almost impossible without pressing all buttons as once (at least for me) because the face buttons are too close together. There's no way to reconfigure the button setup either.

Frame rate is obviously a bit over the place, quite noticeably at times. No point in using the 3D as it just results in a big knock in the frame rate as well as ghosting no matter where you put the slider. Doesn't really help in the gameplay for depth of corners as a result of the ghosting. Dread to think what it'll play like online when latency is added to the mixture (probably crawl at a snail's pace FPS-wise)

As I said, it just doesn't feel like a game suited to playing on the go, even with the ability to setup quick races because it requires a lot more from the player than say Ridge Racer does. Hit the cars in front in the slightest (and you'll hit them a lot as the AI for these is really poor) and it's a penalty. Miss a corner because of the poor handling and you'll get a penalty, or if you hit a curb you'll go flying thanks to some strange collision detection (happened to me when driving around Singapore and took off straight into the barrier).

ONM's 81% review is very generous. Granted, I haven't touched some of the options (I have dabbled with the tuning stuff and didn't see a huge amount of difference in performance) but there's no way the game I played justified that score. The 5 from Eurogamer seems slightly more in line with my thinking.

A shame really as I'm a big fan of Formula 1 and loved F1 2009 on the Wii (as well as F1 2010 when I played it on the 360. Haven't tried 2011 on the consoles yet) but this is another really poor racer output from Codemaster on a Nintendo console. Could be argued that the old PSP F1 titles are better than this.

Edited by Ganepark32

Bought this earlier and despite only playing 50 minutes, I'm not liking it. Definitely not the kind of racer that is suited to handheld gaming, especially on the 3DS. Circle pad doesn't really allow for smooth cornering round long corners and sometimes it'll register as a flick making sudden turns which isn't helpful in a race situation. Using the DRS is almost impossible without pressing all buttons as once (at least for me) because the face buttons are too close together. There's no way to reconfigure the button setup either.

Completely agree with the controls. Taking the high speed corner in Turkey (you know, it's the one that is classed as 4 corners but you can do it smoothly in 1) is just no where near as smooth as it should be.

I've found that using control method B, (R accelerate, L brake, X KERS, Y DRS) is the better of the two controls.