NEurope
MadDog

Job Interviews

From my role as a careers adviser we generally promote the following:

Arrive 15mins early

Know your strengths and weaknesses

Turn your weakness into a strength. IE: I prefer to start new projects rather than see them through to the end. This is because I'm enthusiastic and creative but I am aware that I need to keep my enthusiasm and creativity levels up throughout the entire workloads I get.

Have three examples of your greatest strengths that relate directly to the job. If its a customer service role you know communication skills and complaint handling will pop up. Have a damn fine example ready to show. Keep a list in your pocket/on your phone if this helps to read through prior to going into the interview. Infact, everything should be backed up with an example of an achievement/positive outcome.

Send a professional thank you letter days after (stunningly never done but is proven to Work wonders for future opportunities if initially unsuccessful). Remember, you are a BRAND. Be professional.

When able to ask questions - put the company to the sword (gently). A neat psychological trick is to ask them what a normal work day would be like. As they talk about this state you could definitely do this and would enjoy this (creates the idea that you are already in the role in their mind). Ask about possible progression opportunities and what their core values are. Anything to demonstrate your value.

Practice your body language in the mirror prior to the interview and ensure your self talk is positive on the day IE: I've all of the skills they are looking for/They already like me if they've invited me here/What can they offer me?

Always ask for feedback if unsuccessful but do it in a cool way like: 'I'd really like to work for a company like yours one day, would you suggest anything I can do to enhance my future job opportunities in your sector?'

Also: good luck. Job seeking can grind. Be strong and believe in your worth in the job market. And remember to reflect. If you don't have the skills - get them through voluntary work or training. If you are unsure of the skills you need for a specific job look at Next Step's job profiles online.

Any questions just PM me.

Edited by tapedeck

^Makeshift thanks. Asking them what the regular day would be is a good one that I'm definitely going to ask at my next non-standard job (telephone work/data entry/other generic jobs don't tend to have very much in the way of variation throughout the day.).

Slept at 1am, woke up at 5am, my first interview ever at 8am. Assessment went well, finished the second written exercise with seconds to spare but my typing speed of 90wpm helps. The first interview was with a Director, who was lovely and made it very informal. He told me that I was "very good" :D The second one was with a more reserved Manager, though I succeeded in making him laugh and talk about himself. Will hear by the 25th whether or not I got the job...

DSC09763.jpg

Post-4 hours of sleep and extreme nerves face.

@MadDog, how did your trial day go?

Slept at 1am, woke up at 5am, my first interview ever at 8am. Assessment went well, finished the second written exercise with seconds to spare but my typing speed of 90wpm helps. The first interview was with a Director, who was lovely and made it very informal. He told me that I was "very good" :D The second one was with a more reserved Manager, though I succeeded in making him laugh and talk about himself. Will hear by the 25th whether or not I got the job...

DSC09763.jpg

Post-4 hours of sleep and extreme nerves face.

@MadDog, how did your trial day go?

I ended up not going. My nanna died a couple of days before and I just really didn't feel up for it.

I did abit more research on the company, as the place where i was interviewed was weird. It felt as though it was temporary or something, not once did i see the company name anywhere, and it just seemed really unprofessional. The woman who interviewed me didn't even ask me anything, she basically glanced at my CV asked me a few pointless questions and said come for a trial day. I looked online and it was for door-to-door sales. Not once did they ever mention that to me, so I wouldn't of gone anyway. I did that once before and it's the shittiest job ever.

:( Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you escaped a job with potential for terribleness anyway. Hopefully better and less sketchy opportunities will come up soon!

Hopefully. I found this really nice sounding IT job that sounds perfect for me, so really hoping I make some progress there and they get back to me.

Good to hear about your interview by the way, really hope you get it. :)

I ended up not going. My nanna died a couple of days before and I just really didn't feel up for it.

I did abit more research on the company, as the place where i was interviewed was weird. It felt as though it was temporary or something, not once did i see the company name anywhere, and it just seemed really unprofessional. The woman who interviewed me didn't even ask me anything, she basically glanced at my CV asked me a few pointless questions and said come for a trial day. I looked online and it was for door-to-door sales. Not once did they ever mention that to me, so I wouldn't of gone anyway. I did that once before and it's the shittiest job ever.

I know of a few people who went for very similar jobs and when they found out it was door-to-door sales they did exactly the same as you!

Don't be so quick to knock a company because they in a room which feels 'temporary' though. A lot of companies, especially small ones, don't have anywhere to interview candidates properly so will rent out meeting rooms to use instead. As long as the interview is undertaken professionally then you won't have a problem.

We interview all swimming teachers in Starbucks because our office isn't suitable for interviewing.

Finally have a job interview tomorrow (or at least, with the employment agency). It’s a bizar job as well, but I’ll let you know you tomorrow.

YES! Applied for this junior web developer position, and i got a reply. I have a video interview, basically i do the questions on a homemade video, which is unusual. I've never heard of this method, any tips? :p

This is something i'd really love to do, so i'm delighted i even got a reply. :)

I have a phone interview coming up soon.. but I can't see it being that much of a deal. I've just been offered a supervisor position at my current job because I'm the "obvious candidate" to replace the girl who left.. but then I've seen myself as an obvious candidate for that sort of role for several years :indeed:

One of the reasons I never really moved up the ladder in the last 5 years (aw man.. 5 years large?v=mpbl-1&px=600) is because I've always insisted that I wish to move on and make use of my degree.. and that I obviously need a full time job eventually! They know all this and always have done..

I did give it some thought, though, and had a chat with the manager about things. Basically, with the way things are this could well be as good an opportunity as anything to move onto bigger things. It'll look a bit better on my CV for a start but the more attractive reason is the possibilty to move up the ladder somewhere down the line. The people further up in the business are well aware of my qualifications and there are, of course, more computing-related positions up the hierarchy.

For a job that has always felt quite fruitless and dead end, it may actually turn out to be my best way forward. Whatever the case, at least something is changing for me, however minor..

Edited by nekunando

Yeah man, that's precisely what you want to do. If you spend 5 years in a job and go nowhere, why will somewhere that you want to work hire you over someone who worked 5 years and moved up the ladder? You totally have to take the chance now - it may lead to good things :)

YES! Applied for this junior web developer position, and i got a reply. I have a video interview, basically i do the questions on a homemade video, which is unusual. I've never heard of this method, any tips? :p

This is something i'd really love to do, so i'm delighted i even got a reply. :)

Are you sure it's not just an interview on Skype? That's what "video interview" normally means...

Are you sure it's not just an interview on Skype? That's what "video interview" normally means...

No, sure of it. Gives me a link to this other site, specifically says uploaded video.

You should get ReZ to direct your job interview. It would be unlike any other.

You totally have to take the chance now - it may lead to good things :)

That's pretty much my way of thinking :smile:

Interestingly, the rotas are up for the next few weeks and I'm already down to be doing the supervisor role by myself in only two weeks time. I haven't even had my interview yet or discussed anything in detail.. or had any training :eek:

That's pretty much my way of thinking :smile:

Interestingly, the rotas are up for the next few weeks and I'm already down to be doing the supervisor role by myself in only two weeks time. I haven't even had my interview yet or discussed anything in detail.. or had any training :eek:

You require no training, only know that the power is now yours to wield as frivolously as you like :heh:

You should get ReZ to direct your job interview. It would be unlike any other.

With a cameo by Dr. Wu-man, offering free advice to the interviewer?

--

Follow-up on my interview: I was called yesterday morning by a director who interviewed me, offering me a position :hehe: Perfect starting time, lovely people, good location (don't have to move out of my current place), using my preferred programming languages...will most likely take it, unless the contract/salary is ridiculous.

--

Follow-up on my interview: I was called yesterday morning by a director who interviewed me, offering me a position :hehe: Perfect starting time, lovely people, good location (don't have to move out of my current place), using my preferred programming languages...will most likely take it, unless the contract/salary is ridiculous.

Well done! Hooray for you :)

--

Woo! Well done! :D:yay: