NEurope
MadDog

Job Interviews

So, I have a job interview tomorrow, anybody have any tips? Any funny stories? Any things you should definitely NOT do?

I've only had 2 interviews so far and I've not got the job on both, so any help would be much appreciated. :)

What's the interview?

I can give advice for group interviews, and that would be to always speak up in discussions, and always try go first when you're all asked to do anything, as it'll get noticed and show your confidence.

But other than that, dress smartish, be polite and yeah just try and be positive and confident.

Good luck for tomorrow matey!

Go prepared as well. Have some knowledge of the company and what they do. The interview begins the moment you walk in the door, and ends once you are out of sight of the building. So walk in and out nice etc.

Try not to say ummm or errrr, try to answer things honestly - and avoid giving stereotypical responses but don't tell them what they DON'T want to hear. Prepare answers for these questions;

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

What would you do if you found a colleague stealing from the company?

What do you know about this company?

Tell us why you're better than the other candidates?

What have you been doing since your previous job? (I know you have a job but it's good to rehearse)

... All I can think of, but they've genuinely come up in some form or another for most of my jobs.

Also have some questions ready... but for that it depends on the job.

Dress smart, be personable, etc, etc!

I had a job interview today coincidentally.

Anyway as others have said just be prepared. Know about the company, think of scenario-based answers ("what would you do if...") and try and think of examples that prove you're good at x,y,z.

Good luck!

I was actually thinking about straight an "Interviews" thread, as I have one coming up. I haven't actually done one before, so best of luck MadDog :) Look up competency-based interviews and the STAR framework, lots of companies seem to have adopted that style.

you should definitely not tell them you have severe cases of violent diarrhea like i did in my first ever interview. :p

Show a genuine interest in the work and the company. By doing proper research and knowing exactly how the company operates and knowing exactly what your job involves will demonstrate this to the interviewer.

Prepare answers to questions such as "why do you want to work for us?" and "why do you want to work as a ...?" as these are asked at every interview in some form. For the first question, try and pick a unique fact about the company. Perhaps say that you talked to an employee at an open day (if this applies). For instance at my PwC interview, I said that I talked to a recent graduate and he said that PwC had the best training in the industry and this is what most attracted me to apply.

With competency questions, just think back to your working life so far and try to think of genuine examples for each of the company's competencies. Bend the truth if you have to. But answer honestly. You want to come across to the interviewer as genuine and sincere. If you get asked a question that you haven't prepared for, take ten seconds to think of a good response rather than saying whatever comes to mind. Never say "I can't think of anything".

Have questions ready! Try and pick up on anything the interviewer said and ask them to elaborate. For example my interviewer said that she moved from audit to consulting and I asked her why she moved and how easy it is to move sideways within the company.

Get there twenty minutes early. Smile and make good eye contact. Try not to fidget. Lean forward in your chair rather than slouch. Wear a watch. But importantly, relax and be yourself. The interviewer will genuinely want to learn more about and find out whether you are the kind of person they would want to work with. Thank them for their time when it's over.

Good luck!

but don't tell them what they DON'T want to hear.

This. I reckon that's what ballsed up my last interview, I told the company I wanted to do programming eventually, but I was happy to fill their QA role for a year or so.

This. I reckon that's what ballsed up my last interview, I told the company I wanted to do programming eventually, but I was happy to fill their QA role for a year or so.

Ouch! Could have been phrased a little better!

Where did you interview for?

Get there twenty minutes early.

This is actually kinda annoying. In most cases you don't want to make the candidate sit around in reception for 20 minutes, so you go and get them a bit early. But really, it would be better to stick to the agreed time. Slightly early is good - 20 minutes is overkill (though it may be different with other employers).

Wear a watch.

LOLwhut? I guess that's an alright thing? Never crossed my mind as an interviewer.

The interviewer will genuinely want to learn more about and find out whether you are the kind of person they would want to work with.

This is about 50% of the job process for us. I work in a team of six and it is vital that we like anyone that works with us. Personality is very important - you don't have to be super confident and all that, just likeable, and not overly introvert.

You're allowed to take time to think about answers and they won't mark you down for that.

If you can't think of anything straight away, or you need a minute to formulate how you're going to make up a complete BS story which would make an answer then take it! There's no point in rushing yourself when you don't need to.

Thanks alot guys! Feel abit better about it now. :)

It's an admin position at a place called Primus. I'm pretty certain it's a 1-on-1 interview.

Go prepared as well. Have some knowledge of the company and what they do. The interview begins the moment you walk in the door, and ends once you are out of sight of the building. So walk in and out nice etc.

This! Especially if the job involves research of any kind. Try and find stuff you can't get off their wiki page too, because you can be sure they'll know what your likely sources are for the info you bring with you.

With regards to umms and eeerrrs, there's a handy trick worth remembering and that's think while you drink. Most interviewers will offer you a glass of water so it's simple enough to compose yourself mentally for your answer while you take a sip or two.

When you do answer, use evidence. They want to know about the times you used the skills you're being asked about, not vague assurances that you have those skills. You might be right, but it's like you saying 'mate, trust me!' with a cheeky wink if you can't back up what you say.

Finally, assume your competition are lying shits, so lie too.

This is actually kinda annoying. In most cases you don't want to make the candidate sit around in reception for 20 minutes, so you go and get them a bit early. But really, it would be better to stick to the agreed time. Slightly early is good - 20 minutes is overkill (though it may be different with other employers).

I got to one interview ten minutes early and I was the last candidate to arrive! It's more about planning to be there early in case of any unforeseen circumstances cause you to be late. Also, getting there early and sitting down for twenty something minutes gives you time to relax and clear your mind before going into the interview (if you've travelled a long way).

LOLwhut? I guess that's an alright thing? Never crossed my mind as an interviewer.

Not really that important, I've just always thought that it makes a good impression. I'm not saying it's essential by any means, but I'd wear a watch if you have one.

With regards to umms and eeerrrs, there's a handy trick worth remembering and that's think while you drink. Most interviewers will offer you a glass of water so it's simple enough to compose yourself mentally for your answer while you take a sip or two.

This! Try to be subtle about it though, don't drink before every answer!

Being too early is an inconvenience to most, 20 minutes is way too long. Yeah plan to be there with 20 minutes to spare, but don't rush on in the building. Sit in your car or take a walk if you've the extra time. 10 minutes earlier than stated time, max.

We had some temp people come in to our office. the boss arranged the visit for 9am as she wouldn't be in til then.... and the agency advised them to be in 15 minutes early... now what the hell is that about?!? You are wasting your time... and the person interviewing/meeting you will still need the time to prepare, whether it be first thing or between interviews..

Oh, interview went well, going in Monday on a trial day type thing, looking forward to it. :)

I've actually been on the other side of this at work lately and have been doing all the interviews and hiring processes for Xmas temps - it's been a ball. Manager doesn't like it which is why he's handed it to me and I'm embracing it. It's really interesting being on the other side of the table and good experience to take forwards.

Also congrats :D

Being too early is an inconvenience to most, 20 minutes is way too long. Yeah plan to be there with 20 minutes to spare, but don't rush on in the building. Sit in your car or take a walk if you've the extra time. 10 minutes earlier than stated time, max.

We had some temp people come in to our office. the boss arranged the visit for 9am as she wouldn't be in til then.... and the agency advised them to be in 15 minutes early... now what the hell is that about?!? You are wasting your time... and the person interviewing/meeting you will still need the time to prepare, whether it be first thing or between interviews..

I was an hour early for my Jagex interview and was told this was a good thing.

Although I had also paid quite a bit of money to stay in a hotel too.

Mention extra mile things, for Spotify I did 8 hours driving to get there, I mentioned it and it definitely won in my favour, it shows that you're willing to go far for them in whatever way that is!

An hour early? Wow.

I would have thought the interviewer (if they aren't just a recruitment employee but an actual employee) would have things to do beforehand so annoying them way before that wouldn't be a good thing.

An hour early? Wow.

I would have thought the interviewer (if they aren't just a recruitment employee but an actual employee) would have things to do beforehand so annoying them way before that wouldn't be a good thing.

No definitely, but it's not always the case, there are exceptions, I think it was mostly just incase they could start early.

My Spotify one I was only 20 minutes early, I don't particularly mind waiting, mostly because 1. my job offers recently have always been far away and 2. its better than being late. :D

I've always been like 10 mins early at the most. The longer I sit around, the more mad thoughts go through my head. Plan is to get in, do the interview, get out. If someone's not going to hire me because I wasn't 20 mins early for my interview then clearly it's a shit place to work anyway.