NEurope
LegoMan1031

Human Morality

Isn't that a trait of bigger cities though? (Foshan, Guangdong, where this happened: population 5.4m.) The more people there are, the more impersonal it is, the less accountable people feel because if they don't help, it's not as bad because there are many other people around who also aren't helping. I couldn't imagine it happening here, even in Dublin (population 525,383) - I've seen plenty of minor cases of people getting hurt/lost with at least one willing helper. Or maybe it depends on local culture.

All figures pulled from Wikipedia.

Yeah, i suppose that's true. It's just sad that something like that has become 'normal' for people. It's easy to say that seeing that would fuck you up but if you've grown up with things like that happening around you, it would become norm. I suppose it's a sign that the majority of people in this thread are disgusted by it, shows how fortunate we are to be born where we have been.

If people reading this thread don't know that the people in China don't help anyone because of the several cases where that has got them sued, they should take that into account. Some old people in China even pretend to be injured so that they can sue people when they come for help. For all the passers by knew, the mother could have left the child there as a ploy to sue them for all their money, and ruin their and their family's lives. It has been done before.

If people reading this thread don't know that the people in China don't help anyone because of the several cases where that has got them sued, they should take that into account. Some old people in China even pretend to be injured so that they can sue people when they come for help. For all the passers by knew, the mother could have left the child there as a ploy to sue them for all their money, and ruin their and their family's lives. It has been done before.

Of course it has, and not just in China.

What the...............

I mean, come on. Who in their right mind would avoid assisting the little girl, after being run over TWICE. I'm sorry, but this does sicken and upset me.

yeah if you perform any first aid on someone to keep them alive and cause injury, like broken ribs, by keeping their heart going... you can get sued... even in this country... if it were me, I think i'll not complain about a few broken ribs from someone's heavy handed but effective resuscitation methods!!!

One of my uncles collapsed one day in birmingham city centre... his heart had stopped and some bloody lovely lifesaving people kept him going til the ambulance arrived... these people should be thanked from the bottom of your heart, not sued :(

In France, it's a illegal if you're a trained first aider and don't assist at the scene of an accident.

/off topic.

Don't say they would be sued so matter of factly, sued for what?

Probably (in the case of injury) you could be sued for risking making the hurt person worse instead of better, if you're not a trained healthcare/first aid professional. (Someone should look up the exact law(s) that would be breached/condition of being sued /doesn't care enough)

Don't say they would be sued so matter of factly, sued for what?

Because they would be sued, fact. Sued for causing the accident in the first place.

There have been many occurrences where a random person helped someone who was hurt, and the judge ruled that only the person who hurt them would bring them to the hospital or help them. This has happened repeatedly.

I watched the video earlier today and..I dunno..I can't help but be shocked. It is so horrifying to watch those people pass her by. Especially that lad on the scooter who stopped, turned to look at the dying little girl only to drive away in seconds flat.

I wouldn't understand someone being sued for helping her. Even to move her from the road, however busy it is. I mean...sued for worsening her condition? Could you really hurt her any more than what she's been through ?

Those people are cunts.

There's a difference between blocking off the area and dialing the emergency number and actually going to try and help the person in a medical sense. I think most people would still consider that to be a 'moral obligation'.

Yeah, this sort of thing never happens in civilised western society.

I don't recall stating that this sort of thing doesn't happen in western society either, so not sure why you posted that. I wouldn't assume that anyway given the number of massacres that happen in USA (where most of your links are from).

I said thank God I don't live in China, and that statement stands very solid, and I'm pretty glad I don't live in some parts of USA either.

Those links aren't exactly comparable either, in this case it's a child and it also involves multiple people running over her, not just ignoring her.

Yeah I know. And it happens everywhere. Pick any homeless person on the street and watch them for a while. They have absolutely nothing and are literally begging. How many people walk past them, choosing to cross the street instead of giving them some insignificant amount of change?

This kind of thing doesn't happen everywhere. If it did, people would not be so shocked as they are in this topic. If it was a homeless person being beaten up I doubt people could care less. This is shocking because a) it's a defenceless child who potentially had a long life ahead of her, b) the driver ran over her a second time, c) another person ran over her, and d) despite the injuries, so many walked by.

Regarding homeless people, in many cases giving them money is not going to a good cause. If you really care, buy them a coffee or something to eat.

Edited by Sheikah

Thank God I don't live in China.

This statement had nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I'm also glad I don't live in Denmark. I'd practically be Danny's neighbor.

yeah if you perform any first aid on someone to keep them alive and cause injury, like broken ribs, by keeping their heart going... you can get sued... even in this country... if it were me, I think i'll not complain about a few broken ribs from someone's heavy handed but effective resuscitation methods!!!

As far as I am aware a first aider can't be sued in this country for administering first aid as long as they have been trained and qualified and don't go above what they are trained to do. That is what was brought up when I first started first aid several years ago.

And the whole rib breaking thing, it is normal to break a rip giving someone CPR if you are doing it properly (happened to me a few years ago, well I heard a crack and they explained in training about it). Bloke died on me but he was already purple by the time I got to him.

One of my uncles collapsed one day in birmingham city centre... his heart had stopped and some bloody lovely lifesaving people kept him going til the ambulance arrived... these people should be thanked from the bottom of your heart, not sued :(

Not true. The good samaritan 'law' prevents someone trying to help save a life from being sued. Check out the wiki sources for further info.

Yeah I know. And it happens everywhere. Pick any homeless person on the street and watch them for a while. They have absolutely nothing and are literally begging. How many people walk past them, choosing to cross the street instead of giving them some insignificant amount of change?

I once saw a girl walking down the road, screaming and crying to herself. No one helped her. Saw another person who had quite clearly been battered, no one helped him either. Granted, the last guy didn't seem too phased so people probably didn't think he needed help.

I fell off my bike when I was making way for a car on a roundabout. It was quite a nasty fall and I broke my arm and fucked up my face. The car didn't even stop, even though he must have seen me hit the ground face first. I walked from one side of town to another to get to the hospital. Not one person asked if I was ok.

Sure, this video is an extreme case, but it's just another example of how people just don't give a shit.

I dont think homeless people are compareable to this situation in the slightest.

Also, for these other examples (except the one about yourself obviously) did you try and help the people or did you just make a mental note that nobody else was helping them?

I dont wanna gang up on you or anything but you once told me that you probably wouldnt stop to help someone in need because you felt that others wouldnt do so for you. If everyone thought like this then the world would be a much more terrible place.

Yeah there are plenty of examples of people not stopping to help and thats terrible of course but I expect there are much more where people have helped, once again its just one of those situations where it wouldnt have been reported.

Thank God I don't live in China.

This statement had nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

It only has nothing to do with the topic if you can't follow logic.

Small girl run over, large numbers of citizens not only don't care but proceed to run her over.

Yeah. Hard to see why I'd state I'm glad not to live in China, where human rights count for little.

Well it now appears that people believe that the lady who 'saved' YueYue only did it for attention and to get 'famous'

Commendations, rewards and job offers have come flooding in for Chen Xianmei, the 58-year-old scrap peddler who came to the rescue of Yueyue, the Foshan toddler who was left to die by the side of a road after a double hit-and-run last week.

The Civilisation Offices of the Nanhai District and the Dali Town have commended her for stepping forward to help the little girl, and have each given her a reward of RMB10,000. The owner of one IT company was particularly touched by Chen's actions. He sent her RMB50,000 and an offer to join his company as an "honorary employee" so she could have a more stable source of income. Another man, surnamed Cao, who owns a verified account on Sina Weibo as a Guangzhou CPPCC member, said he had sent Chen a RMB5,000 hongbao in his own personal capacity to commend her actions.

Taken aback by all the offers of financial support, Chen has asked the public not to send her any more money but to send all donations to Yueyue's family instead. She has pledged some of her reward money from the Civilisation Offices to Yueyue.

Chen has found the life of a Good Samaritan an uneasy one. It began, she said, the day she saved Yueyue. As soon as she was done pulling the girl to the side of the road, she went around all the stores in the neighbourhood asking if anyone had lost their daughter, only to be told to "mind your own business".

Now with all of the media attention focussed on her, as well as government officials and journalists knocking on her door night and day, Chen says she doesn't even dare to turn on the television anymore.

"A lot of people are now saying that I'm doing it to get famous, and to get money. Even my neighbours are now saying so!" she said. "That really wasn't my intention, and I'm so afraid of hearing what people are saying that I don't dare to watch the news. I'm not out for fame or money."

When asked what she thought about the negative things that people were now saying about her, Chen said, "I didn't steal or rob. All I did was to save a child," as tears began to fill her eyes.

Would she do it all over again, having suffered these unnecessary grievances? "Yes, I would!" she replied without hesitation.

http://shanghaiist.com/2011/10/19/chen_xianmei_commended_and_rewarded.php

Another thing that's really bad is when she was asking people if they had lost a daughter the response back she got is just terrible.

:nono:

YueYue's condition has slightly improved -

Doctors say that her chances of recovery are now better than earlier estimated.

http://shanghaiist.com/2011/10/17/foshan_toddler_yueyue_still_under_i.php

Poor little thing :(

Well it now appears that people believe that the lady who 'saved' YueYue only did it for attention and to get 'famous'

:(

Murr, meet the 50 Cent party: people who are paid by the government to actively discourage independent thought, derail anti-CCP discussions by ANY means necessary and turn any potentially negative story about China into either an attempt by the West to smear Chna or an attempt by the named individual to step out of their CCP ordained place.

You have no idea about these people, really.

Shocking, but then...not? Seems stuff like this is happening more and more all over the world, or it's just getting noticed more. Either way, it IS a terrible thing but I find it difficult to comment without a more solid understanding of the chinese society and culture. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is ever in any way acceptable, just that I'm not going to be quick to blame/vilify the entire country of china for this instance. Especially as people have pointed out already, it happens everywhere.

I think it's terrible that a woman is being criticised for helping a child who was seriously hurt. It's one of the things from this story that shows how wrong some things are. What message does this send to others? That it's wrong to help others? I find that alarming.

That poor kid. Absolutely horrible how humans can act towards each other.

:(

You shouldn't let little me discourage you, though. I'm by no means nationalistic, but when I hear about politics etc. in a number of other countries, I'm very glad that I live in Denmark/Scandinavia.

Anyway, stories like this break my heart. :(