NEurope
LegoMan1031

Human Morality

Just seen this on sky news and could not believe it.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16091304

A young chinese girl is involved in a hit and run is then ignored by several passers by bleeding on the floor and is even run over by a second van! Be warned that the CCTV is unedited and does show her being run over.

I find the above very shocking and find it hard to believe the girl was ignored for awhile just lying there in the road. I would always stop where possible to help people in need.

There has been other instances where people are ignored that obviously need help (although I can't think of any examples of the top of my head). What is happening to make people ignore someone that is in pain and requires help? What would you do?

Now there will be cases where you need to protect yourself depending on the situation which I can see why people would not choose to help others but in the case there was no danger there for anyone to help?

That's unbelievable. I just can't imagine that happening in this country. I mean it's not help like in the form of someone asking directions but she's actually just been run over and is dying and people are just looking at her lying there and driving off. Even if it was my worst enemy I couldn't just ignore him lying there.

The again it's China and nothing that happens in that country surprises me. Many people over the past few years have been inprisoned for trying to help people like that. The country has no ethics, so there's no point in trying to humanise it.

Edited by Jon

Fucking hell... Are they raised not to give a shit? Are they threatened into not stopping their work?

You can almost understand the hit and run (obviously not condone it, but it happens all too often) but for no one else to help her afterwards? It's just sick.

That is horrible, really really terrible video. I was un-sure whether I should watch or not, Wish I hadn't :(

I can't believe the first van driver? Word's can't describe what punishment he should receive for that.

The part that shocked me the most was when the lady moved her and just how 'floppy' she was. Like a doll. Was sickening.

Fighting for her life now and now thought to be brain dead.

Hope she can recover, too young to be going through an ordeal like that. Well no-one should ever have to go through something like that.

one of the comments on the story was pretty valid, where was her mother?

I'm not even gonna watch that :( An explanation for situations like this could be the bystander effect (or Genovese syndrome, after the murder of Kitty Genovese), but I think a more fitting explanation for this particular incident is...it's China.

I'm not even gonna watch that :( An explanation for situations like this could be the bystander effect (or Genovese syndrome, after the murder of Kitty Genovese), but I think a more fitting explanation for this particular incident is...it's China.

There are only a couple of people, so not helping her is bad but what gets me is she is run over three times. After the first, he stops while she is between the front and back wheels, then just runs her over with the back tires too. Too lazy to get out... Then someone else runs her over.

Edited by heroicjanitor

I felt sick watching this. Hopefully I'll remember this when I see somebody who looks in need of help.

I(or Genovese syndrome, after the murder of Kitty Genovese)

Actually that story has been called into question. Firstly the man actually fled after one witness shouted, and later returned to murder Kitty in a building that was out of sight. Secondly that one man claimed that his father did call the police. But remember that this was before the emergency line number. So if a man rang up and reported that there was a couple who appeared to be arguing, chances are that the police would regard it as a low priority.

There are only a couple of people, so not helping her is bad but what gets me is, she is run over three times. After the first, he stops while she is between the front and back wheels, then just runs her over with the back tires too. Too lazy to get out... Then someone else runs her over.

She's talking about why people do not help her.

I'd never heard of the 'Bystander effect' till your link. reading the notable examples of it are just mad.

especially the case of Sergio Aguair... really really weird.

Daily Mail reports that the little girl has made some but little signs of recovery.

After days of treatment, the little girl has regained the ability to take weak breaths with the help of a respirator and some feeling in her arms, according to China Daily.

Her heart beat has also stabilised, but her life remains in danger and there are concerns she may have suffered extensive brain damage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050438/Yue-Yue-critically-ill-run-twice-ignored-18-people.html#ixzz1b8foGquv

and this is just fucking disgraceful...

The Shanghaiist claims one driver called Yue Yue's father to offer him money just before he was arrested.

It claims he said: 'You saw that girl on the CCTV footage, she didn't see where she was going, you know.

'I was on the phone when it happened, I didn't mean it. 'When I realised I had knocked her down, I thought I'd go down to see how she was.

'Then when I saw that she was already bleeding, I decided to just step on the gas pedal and escape seeing that nobody was around me.'

I feel a bit sick watching that. I don't really know what to say, I'm beyond disgusted.

She's talking about why people do not help her.

The bystander effect works because people are unrelated to an incident and don't want to take responsibility for it. The ones who knocked her down just flat out didn't care, so this isn't (completely) that.

Its a disgusting video it really is the driver wants taking before a firing squad (its China after all) and the people who drove round and over her need to be fined and/or loose their license as they obviously have poor eyesight to not notice a child bleeding in a road until they are on top of her (quite literally in the second van’s instance). I’m utterly convinced that people just had utter contempt for the child as they are all shops/market stalls around her and obviously had people in them

That said I’m not surprised, surely I’m not the only one to see a gore thread on an image board? To see cyclists run over in Brazil (*1), Or the woman driver who ploughed through a cyclist in Bosnia launching him over 100m down the road, drivers just ignored him (or what was left) for a while, I could go on with more examples but you get the idea, its actually quite common I’ve seen it myself in the UK people drive off, walk on they don’t get involved out of fear and the belief someone else will deal with it. It is unfortunately human nature to leave the weak behind, it’s a primal its survival of the fittest! It just so happens however that some species go against this consciously they strive to protect, in humans it’s a conscious decision based on morals and an ability to fight the desire to flee, to me it shows the weak ones are actually the ones fleeing they have no compassion.

(1*) (http://www.theurbancountry.com/2011/02/critical-mass-carnage.html) although in that instance they were part of a cycle activist group who purposefully drove en mass during rush hour to hold up traffic to highlight their cause, basically they were goading drivers, the driver involved said he felt threatened, who knows if I was surrounded by angry chanting cyclists maybe I would feel threatened, but I’d probably pull over and leave the car rather than run them over.

(*2) http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a66_128370853 theres no excuse or even mitigating circumstances for this one - hope thats the right link, my work webwasher blocks it, so checked on my iphone and the description seems right but the video is flash based...

Actually that story has been called into question. Firstly the man actually fled after one witness shouted, and later returned to murder Kitty in a building that was out of sight. Secondly that one man claimed that his father did call the police. But remember that this was before the emergency line number. So if a man rang up and reported that there was a couple who appeared to be arguing, chances are that the police would regard it as a low priority.

Oh really, I've only ever read about the effect briefly, so thanks for those extra details. It's scary to imagine it taking place when we ourselves are in that position...

--

Here is the video with an accompanying articles and translated Chinese comments:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/videos/2-year-old-chinese-girl-ran-over-by-van-ignored-by-18-bystanders.html

The bystander effect works because people are unrelated to an incident and don't want to take responsibility for it. The ones who knocked her down just flat out didn't care, so this isn't (completely) that.

That's a bit presumptuous. He obviously didn't go, "Oops, well whatever." After accidentally hitting her because apparently he was on his phone. He wanted to get as far away as possible so that he wouldn't be put in jail. Now obviously it wasn't the right thing to do, but he didn't flat out not care.

He ran over her on purpose the second time, he could have made his getaway without running over her again.

As bad as this is, I would actually say that human morality is overall at an all-time high.

But she wasn't relating the bystander effect to the drivers, she was relating it to the "bystanders" who walked by and didn't help.

He ran over her on purpose the second time, he could have made his getaway without running over her again.

Only if he exited the vehicle and removed the girl. Something someone who wants to get as far away as possible wouldn't put as their priority.

What surprises me more is that people are still surprised by this sort of thing. It doesn't surprise me at all. Sure, it's horrible, but so are people.

But this isn't the same as being shocked at the likes of Ian Huntley, Fritzl etc. If it were just the first van driver then I would understand. But the amount of people who walked by, and the second van drive, I just cannot comprehend. Maybe I'm naive, but if expecting at least a shred of humanity from so many people is naive, then I'll happily be the most naive person in the world.

This isn't shock at inhumanity in one, or a few, people. This is a lack of humanity in so many people.

This isn't shock at inhumanity in one, or a few, people. This is a lack of humanity in so many people.

Yeah I know. And it happens everywhere. Pick any homeless person on the street and watch them for a while. They have absolutely nothing and are literally begging. How many people walk past them, choosing to cross the street instead of giving them some insignificant amount of change?

I once saw a girl walking down the road, screaming and crying to herself. No one helped her. Saw another person who had quite clearly been battered, no one helped him either. Granted, the last guy didn't seem too phased so people probably didn't think he needed help.

I fell off my bike when I was making way for a car on a roundabout. It was quite a nasty fall and I broke my arm and fucked up my face. The car didn't even stop, even though he must have seen me hit the ground face first. I walked from one side of town to another to get to the hospital. Not one person asked if I was ok.

Sure, this video is an extreme case, but it's just another example of how people just don't give a shit.

Yeah, this sort of thing never happens in civilised western society.

Of course it happens, it would naive to think it doesn't. Although i'd imagine those sort of things happen quite regularly on a daily basis in China, judging by the way people just nonchelontly just walk past. Can we really say the same thing about Western society?

Of course it happens, it would naive to think it doesn't. Although i'd imagine those sort of things happen quite regularly on a daily basis in China, judging by the way people just nonchelontly just walk past. Can we really say the same thing about Western society?

Isn't that a trait of bigger cities though? (Foshan, Guangdong, where this happened: population 5.4m.) The more people there are, the more impersonal it is, the less accountable people feel because if they don't help, it's not as bad because there are many other people around who also aren't helping. I couldn't imagine it happening here, even in Dublin (population 525,383) - I've seen plenty of minor cases of people getting hurt/lost with at least one willing helper. Or maybe it depends on local culture.

All figures pulled from Wikipedia.