NEurope
Happenstance

The Amazing Spider-Man

Just about every webhead assumed a new video game would accompany 2012's new Spidey movie -- The Amazing Spider-Man -- but now we have confirmation. Activision's New York Comic-Con booth has a poster for The Amazing Spider-Man game that sports the Beenox logo (aka the developers of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions and Spider-Man: Edge of Time). No release date was on the banner, but you can assume it'll come right around the movie's July 4th release date.

the-amazing-spider-man-the-movie-20111013050258029-001.jpg

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/120/1200082p1.html

I just hope its nothing like their other games, I really didnt like Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time just looks like more of the same.

I can't see how with it being a film tie-in and relatively short turn aorund how it offer anything different from the other games.

Depends if they decided to refresh their approach. Spidey 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man were actually great games. When the formula went stale instead of handing it to a new, competent team to deliver something awesome, they sought freshness in unique backdrops and different dimensions etc., when really they needed to start over from scratch.

Yeah I much prefered the Treyarch Spidey games to these new Beenox ones. Its a shame we never got a sequel to the Ultimate Spider-Man game, it had one of the more involving stories for the games and even though the tie in to actual USM comic continuity never really ended up working it was interesting at the time.

They should make the next Spider-man-game more like Mirror's Edge in terms of gameplay. Like what we saw from the first (are there more?) trailer for the movie.

They should make the next Spider-man-game more like Mirror's Edge in terms of gameplay. Like what we saw from the first (are there more?) trailer for the movie.
Yeah a first person Spidey game would definately be worth giving a go at some point!

Yeah I much prefered the Treyarch Spidey games to these new Beenox ones. Its a shame we never got a sequel to the Ultimate Spider-Man game, it had one of the more involving stories for the games and even though the tie in to actual USM comic continuity never really ended up working it was interesting at the time.

What were the differences? Haven't played a spidey game since web of shadows...

It might happen. If the movie has several sequences like that ;)

Off screen gameplay trailer :) looks more like the old style, back in the city

Hmm... not sure about the whole thing frankly. I just get the inkling that it will be more of the same just rendered better.

Game Description and First In-game Screenshot

Created as an epilogue story occurring entirely after the events of the movie, the game features the return of free-roaming web-slinging all over the city and evolutionary improvements to navigation and combat, as the newly anointed Spider-Man is plunged into an all-new storyline charged with protecting Manhattan from a variety of criminals. The Amazing Spider-Man is in development at veteran game studio Beenox, and features an original narrative crafted by Hollywood writer Seamus Kevin Fahey (episodes of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica) that continues young Peter Parker's adventures following the events of the new film. Using the game's new Web Rush mechanic allows players to pull off a vast array of moves never before possible. With a story that takes players through many areas all over (and under) Manhattan, fans will feel what it's truly like to be a Super Hero, as they experience the cinematic adrenaline rush of web-swinging through the city and fighting crime using Spider-Man's spectacular acrobatic moves and attacks.

spidermaningame.jpg

I think the biggest problem for this game (and I'm judging purely by the in game footage) is that it will feel far too much like the past 5 spidey games. I'm completely uninspired to buy a new game from the franchise until someone completely re-imagines making the experience a bit more visceral again.

I say that and it will turn out that this is a Move/Kinnect game ::shrug:

When I read the thread title I thought they may have been bringing back...

The Amazing Spider-Man vs The Kingpin to XBLA/PSN or something... I used to love playing that game on the Mega-CD :) not played a Spidey game since though.

Certainly has a bit of a Mirror's Edge colour scheme in that image... if only the game itself was trying to do something different and followed that style gameplay, instead of being a standard movie-tie in type of game.

This game should have tried to do what Arkham Asylum did for Batman and not just take the easy, seen it all before route.

Another new shot:

asm-screenshot.jpg

Im not expecting a lot from this game but it'll be nice to have another open world Spider-Man game that I can just swing around the city in.

It looks nice at least. A mirror's edge style spidey would be awesome. Played Mirror's Edge recently and really enjoyed it.

I really don't think there's a chance of that. The trailer didn't give that impression at all. White/blue cities with a hazy glow and that first person part of the movie trailer seem to have made a few people take 2 and 2 and come up with 5.

Umm...

Amazing-Spider-Man-Rhino-and-Spider-Man.jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-Rhino-Charging.jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-Rhino.jpg

Looks like Rhino's been inspired by The Lizard for this game.

Looks rubbish.

Edited by Retro_Link