NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
kingboo

Yet another reccomend me a pc thread (sorry)

Right, i know theres been i a few in the past (sorry) but can anyone reccomend the folowing:

a) Make of PC - i.e Packard bell, sony, apple etc

b) Best value processor - AMD sempron/duron or intel celeron/pentium 4 etc

c) Good places to buy for a £100 - £400 price range

Also, should i bother with a new one or should I upgrade my current model? It's 5 years old or so, has around 64,128 ram? AMD duron 900 mhz and is running ME :heh:

Well thanks for any suggestions :)

a) Make of PC - i.e Packard bell, sony, apple etc

b) Best value processor - AMD sempron/duron or intel celeron/pentium 4 etc

c) Good places to buy for a £100 - £400 price range

You're better of making one yourself, but then again your price range might not be suited to making one yourself, unless you don't put decent components in. Which would be pointless because you'll need to upgrade it again fairly soon.

I would've thought it difficult to upgrade your current computer to something decent without changing some core components, which could be tricky.

I personally think some of the stuff here is decent.

Do you want a new monitor too?

Have a look at dabs and ebuyer for comps too.

Upgrading will probably be a bit difficult and maybe more expensive (depending on how old the motherboard is)

If you have the experience to build a PC thats definately the way. But if you do decide this route be warned it can go nasty very easily as i found out a few times. And if you trash a card/chip etc youve got yourself a very expensive piece of useless plastic/metal.

Have a look at the websites for some major computer dealers see what prices they are doing.

celeron/duron = less performance but more efficient on energy.

athlon/pentium = faster but more sucks a lot of energy.

go for as high a ram and hd as you can go, i guess its a matter of how much stuff you wanna put on it and how hard you wanna push it, buttbh with a budget like that you wont get a hard hitting super flying machine.

Whart do you use the computer for mainly,from your current pc i take it that you just browse the web and write word documents?

Keep your old case and optical drives (possibly power supply) and add the following components to give you a cracking pc upgrade for just over your budget.

Asustek S775 Intel nForce4 SLI edition ATX Audio Lan Raid £141.59

Intel Pentium 4 BTX 630 Socket 775 3.0GHz 2MB EM64T £135.86

DabsValue GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E DVI-I VO £91.63

Crucial 1GB 240Pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-3200 Non-ECC Unbuffered £63

Total: £432.08

I think that would work but if it doesn't some of the more experienced pc builders will soon correct me.

This would work for gaming as well as office tasks and is very upgradeable with support for dual core pentiums as well as SLI support for dual graphics cards.

That motherboard is fantastic, i was lookin at it myself. And ddr2 ram is reasonably priced, added bonus. Seems like an awesome deal if you have the time and patience to fit it together yourself.

Yeah i've got the msi version of the intel edition nforce 4 sli mobo. Imagine my surprise when my new pc spec was changed to a nforce 4 sli mobo with support for the new pentium d processors from a basic intel 915p chipset. I was very happy indeed. I thought that mobo was a good deal for the price.

Bundles are also a good idea if you arent too sure about choosing bits.

X-Case Bundles

There are some really good value ones there, not exactly high spec, but in your price range and fix it all together and wham-bam a new pc for half the price of buying.

highland man mentioned some components.he mentioned a btx processor.i dont know ,nut i presume that that will have to go into a btx mobo,in whcih case,that mobo,will most likely not work with you old case.

I've seen overclockers full systems, there prices dont seem to be to good. Dell seem like good value though.

Sign in to follow this