NEurope
Ashley

I Want to Ride a Bicycle

I came in here to recommend Claud Butler. They make great road bikes. Though obviously they are no use of road, so you'll need to get something else if you plan on doing any non-road cycling.

I didn't know they made a hybrid though, how is it off/on road?

I mainly cycle on a cycle/footpath with parts that vary in degrees of maintenance. It is generally fine - a big bump will make you shudder, but a regularish tarmaccy, slightly rough bit of path is totally fine.

On a road it is super nice.

Cycling isn't for everyone. My sister bought a bike. Cycled a couple hundred yards from home on her way to work. Got freaked, walked it home and never touched it again.

I assume since you're riding SS that you'll have a back brake on that bike.

I'm going to say yes....? How would I tell?

It certainly daunted me at first but my "I'm better than you [driving] bastards" mentality soon kicked in.

Is there a brake level on each handlebar? If not then you're probably going to take flying lessons then die a tragic death with your melon splattered over the pavement.

Presumably there is. I can't see a reputable retailer selling a bike with only a front brake (even though the bike in that pic you posted has no rear brake).

Is there not? Well the one I tried definitely did. Trust me, I used them a few times :heh:

Yeah the picture I posted was a different one.

Anyway I went in on Friday and got myself all sorted. Got my quote and submitted it to work. I'm not sure why (other than my deep-routed cynicism) but I'm worried it'll be rejected. Provided it's not what else do I need for it? I got lights, lock and helmet and the only other thing I can think of is pump but I'm sure there is more.

And does anyone know of any good road safety/best practice (or whatever the non-retail term is) websites or whatever? Particularly London based (yes I've looked at TfL).

Mud guards? Water proof trousers? Something to keep your trousers from catching in your chain? Pump? Back pack? Water proof jacket?

Mud guards? Water proof trousers? Something to keep your trousers from catching in your chain? Pump? Back pack? Water proof jacket?

Well the plan is to wear any old thing to ride to work, go to the gym and change after that. A waterproof will be in order though. And I do need a back pack or a holder thing on my bike.

Mud guards are highly recommended. Plus some lights if you intend to be riding in the near/dark alot.

If you're worried about your trousers catching the chain, the old method of tucking it into your sock never fails. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you're not wearing goth/emo/etc flare-esque trousers.

Puncture repair kit. Wilkinsons are pretty good for those, cheaper than any bike shop I've seen and their kits work (I can vouch for that, my front has 3 patches already :()

There's a commuting section on the Bike Radar forums which also has some pretty good links to commuting guides.

You probably want to get some armadillo puncture proof tires. I haven't had a puncture since I got them.

Also helps I check my tire pressure every week.

High vis jacket!

I used to wear a big high vis jacket...

:(

It was comfortable and kept me warm in the winter though!

I used to wear a big high vis jacket...

:(

It was comfortable and kept me warm in the winter though!

They expect us to wear high vis jackets at work occasionally (mainly when we go out onto the forecourt) but they make you sweat like a bitch, additionally a training DVD we've been made to watch have omitted to mention this rule - by showing someone go out to the forecourt on many occasions without a high vis vest. There are other things which I have decided to ignore. But it's a good thing to rely on if I get run over.

EDIT: Wouldn't bother with high vis jackets if a light does the job. I don't use a light when I use my bike. If a driver can perform an emergency stop on the presumption a child/whatever has just crossed their path, I assume they can accomodate for seeing a bike (at least) five metres away.

As for the backpack, the solution is obvious: if you need one - use it. Depending on the content you may sweat a bit, but as you said you'll be wearing some non-work clothes. So shouldn't be a problem.

One thing which has intrigued me, is it only in London where you can get a quote on a bicycle and possibly haggle? It's not exactly an insurance quote.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Who said anything about haggling? I got it through the Cycle Scheme. There's also Bike to Work that works the same way. Your employer needs to be registered for it for you to participate.

Who said anything about haggling?

I'm taking quote to mean something which doesn't have a fixed price, in this case the bike. Quotes can change and thus the price does. I thought you could use some awesome Bargain Hunt skills to lower the price.

Or by quote did you mean you just looked at the price tag and told Cycle Scheme people what it said?

You go find the bike you want.

You get them to give you the price (the quote).

You then submit that to your HR department.

They then process it.

You then get a certificate saying its been approved.

You take that to the shop and exchange it for the bike.

You ride away with the bike.

You get them to give you the price (the quote).

This is where the confusion lay which is why I asked the question earlier. I assume it is be a regional thing because in the East Midlands if something has a fixed price, we just call it "the price" not a "quote". A quote is something a builder* initially gives you which can fluctuate based on factors such as manpower/resources etc, it can also be called an estimate.

*Other business services with variable priced services.

I assume it is be a regional thing because in the East Midlands if something has a fixed price, we just call it "the price" not a "quote".

Did you get that information from your Mom?

EDIT: Wouldn't bother with high vis jackets if a light does the job. I don't use a light when I use my bike. If a driver can perform an emergency stop on the presumption a child/whatever has just crossed their path, I assume they can accomodate for seeing a bike (at least) five metres away.

Lights are actually a legal requirement for night riding. If you don't have them the Police can issue you a £30 fixed penalty notice. Not using them is a bit of a dumbshit thing to do really, they make you more visible to other road users. Personally wouldn't want to rely on a high-vis and reflectors, it's not worth the risk.

Edited by McPhee

I assume they can accomodate for seeing a bike (at least) five metres away.

You know what they say about 'assume'.

It can get you killed in a horrible accident.

I don't use high-vis jackets, I use to immensely bright flashing lights on the front and back of my bike. I think high-vis is turd, tbh.

You know what they say about 'assume'.

It can get you killed in a horrible accident.

Very true, that's why most of the time I ride on the pavement. Smash the system.

I do need to buy some lights. The only time I find myself using the bike at night is in winter, which I rarely do because the road gets well icy round here.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Well I think the hi vis is more for day time riding when your lights are least effective, you might think people can spot you, but they won't coz they are dumb.

They rejected my application.

tumblr_lr9rfb0Tlc1qfsvxh.gif

So I think I'll just get it on finance instead. Works out more but oh well. Going to pop in on Saturday and sort it all out and say goodbye to all my money.

Anyone know of cheaper online stores for stuff like helmets, locks etc? I did see a cheap lock at Sports Direct but its safety number thing wasn't listed so I don't really trust it but any money I can save would be greatly beneficial right now.

Went for this in the end as it was practically the same but a bit cheaper:

Norco%20Spade.jpg

They even knocked off some money for me. As it turns out having a failure of a day and going there just before they were due to close worked out well because they were eager for a sale to meet their target.

Rode it part of the way home but it has toe strap things that I don't like and find it difficult to do on the fly so I got off and walked the last stretch as it would have been lots of stopping and not-quite-starting. Plus it was getting dark and I hadn't fitted my lights. Going to remove the top things and put on lights in the morning and have another quick ride around before the real trial - Monday morning.