NEurope
Ashley

I Want to Ride a Bicycle

I'm planning to get a bike! So of course I thought I'd make a thread about it.

Need it for work (and using cycle scheme to get it) so hopefully getting something in the £400-500 range. Had a look around a few shops but I need to make a decision in the next few days as my application needs to get in.

Thinking single speed probably. Its just for going to/from work (5 miles each way) and not particularly hilly (even if everyone seems to think Archway Road is a 70 degrees slope) so I think that should be right....right?

I've been bugging Daft about bikes for a few weeks now so I thought I'd see who else cycles.

I used to cycle to and from work, did this for about a year and a half...

... until I had an accident, now I don't ride anymore unfortunately but have a brand new electric bike sitting in the garage - was the only way the insurance company would pay up - and am considering selling it as I'm hoping to get a car when I pass my test.

Cycling is great though and I'd still recommend it highly, I'd still be riding my bike if things had turned out differently but nevermind. :)

I use my bike to and from work. The current one I use cost around £150. Does the job nicely. Lotsa gears, disc brake on the front, suspension.

I cycle to work! (3.3 miles each way.)

I love gears. When I started cycling the world exactly divided into parts that were uphill and parts that were downhill. There is no flat. There is no flat. There is no flat.

I have a hybrid that cost £300-ish that I got on the bike scheme. Prior to that I had a £70 bike from Halfords. You get what you pay for; the £70 bike fell apart very quickly and weighed a ton, whereas my new bike has served me faithfully for a couple of years, a couple thousand miles, and I love it.

You can get cheap waterproof trousers/jackets/gloves from Aldi that do the job.

I have my tyres filled with slime and have Schwalbe anti-puncture tyres so I very rarely get a puncture that causes an issue. A brilliant investment.

Here's a story I hope you'll like

It's the one about Ashley riding on his bike

I know, it's a tired old tale, but it still rings true

He could never be rude or unkind

But a sad song played at the back of his mind

Ooooh, could someone show him a different bike

A bike that he'd like?

And so forth.

Get the lightest bike you can. That's my only advice.

Getting a strong bike was my priority when I bought mine. I wanted one that would last. I ended up buying a jump bike due to it being designed for falling from height. It's strong, but it's pretty hefty. Good for exercise though I guess.

I cycle to work! (3.3 miles each way.)

I love gears. When I started cycling the world exactly divided into parts that were uphill and parts that were downhill. There is no flat. There is no flat. There is no flat.

I have a hybrid that cost £300-ish that I got on the bike scheme. Prior to that I had a £70 bike from Halfords. You get what you pay for; the £70 bike fell apart very quickly and weighed a ton, whereas my new bike has served me faithfully for a couple of years, a couple thousand miles, and I love it.

You can get cheap waterproof trousers/jackets/gloves from Aldi that do the job.

I have my tyres filled with slime and have Schwalbe anti-puncture tyres so I very rarely get a puncture that causes an issue. A brilliant investment.

I'd have that problem if I ever took it to my mother's as its all hills. HILLS I TELLS YOU! But where I am (at least right now) its just one long slope at the end (on the way back) and if I go a different route to work its a big old hill downwards. Wheeee!

Cheers for the parts advice. The only thing I'd really thought about (other than safety equipment) is covering it up over night. It's going to have to live on our roof terrace thing as that's the only place it can go but obviously rain will happen. Best way to cover it up?

I noticed Evans (at Waterloo, but I assume all of them) are having a clearance sale. Might be worth checking out.

As for a cover, just use some plastic sheeting.

Good thread! I'm thinking about getting a new bike too.

What bike do you have @Mr_Odwin? What's the 'bike scheme'?

5 mile commute each way for me. Downhill all the way in which is awesome! Due to rush-hour traffic I'm usually the fasted thing on the road! Cycle home - not so awesome. I'm riding a Specialized Rockhopper purchased through Cyclescheme http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

Don't skimp on the lock and buy some decent lights would be my advice. Oh, and always lock your bike near others. If there's easier targets available then thieves are unlikely to try stealing your ride. I use this and these, bought off eBay for £45. Probably got lucky there. A mini D-Lock is a difficult thing to break. Cable locks can be broken with bolt cutters, chains can be cut with saws, full size D-Locks can be easily broken using a mini bottle-jack. A mini D lock is too small to squeeze a bottle jack between the lock and the bike frame, bolt cutters won't get through it and a manual saw will take ages. They're pretty much only vulnerable to noisy power tools like circular saws (which are usually only used by professional bike thieves. If they want your bike there's not a lot you can do about it. Not worth their risk for models under £1k though usually).

Oh, and this is probably obvious but it's surprising how many times people don't do it. Lock your frame (not the wheel) to a solid, immovable object. The number of times I see wheels (with quick release bolts) locked to bike stands or bikes locked to bins (put the bin in the van along with the bike) or short poles (lift the bike over the top) is just silly. It's just asking for people to take them.

Genuinely can't comprehend spending £400 on a bike. I'd rather spend maybe £200 on a bike that causes me a leeetle bit of stress, requires more effort to use but leaves me with £200 to spend on stuff. Entertaining stuff.

But then I know nothing of bikes. Just a lot on thrift living.

I noticed Evans (at Waterloo, but I assume all of them) are having a clearance sale. Might be worth checking out.

As for a cover, just use some plastic sheeting.

Yeah I went there last night. Think I may go there this morning before work and try some stuff out and order it.

And damn it if I'd only been more forward thinking I could have got my mother to bring me a plastic sofa cover (that they use for deliveries) last week.

I think one of these would suit you.

PR_5528_LG.jpg

It would look spiffing with my hairmet.

Don't skimp on the lock and buy some decent lights would be my advice. Oh, and always lock your bike near others. If there's easier targets available then thieves are unlikely to try stealing your ride. I use this and these, bought off eBay for £45. Probably got lucky there. A mini D-Lock is a difficult thing to break. Cable locks can be broken with bolt cutters, chains can be cut with saws, full size D-Locks can be easily broken using a mini bottle-jack. A mini D lock is too small to squeeze a bottle jack between the lock and the bike frame, bolt cutters won't get through it and a manual saw will take ages. They're pretty much only vulnerable to noisy power tools like circular saws (which are usually only used by professional bike thieves. If they want your bike there's not a lot you can do about it. Not worth their risk for models under £1k though usually).

Oh, and this is probably obvious but it's surprising how many times people don't do it. Lock your frame (not the wheel) to a solid, immovable object. The number of times I see wheels (with quick release bolts) locked to bike stands or bikes locked to bins (put the bin in the van along with the bike) or short poles (lift the bike over the top) is just silly. It's just asking for people to take them.

Cheers for the advice :) I'm fortunate in the regards that at work there is a storage space for it in the building and at home it can be put in a pretty inaccessible place but yeah, out and about I'll make sure I lock it up :)

Genuinely can't comprehend spending £400 on a bike. I'd rather spend maybe £200 on a bike that causes me a leeetle bit of stress, requires more effort to use but leaves me with £200 to spend on stuff. Entertaining stuff.

Well its the cyclescheme thing so I get about 40% off it anyway, then pay it off a bit each month.

Good thread! I'm thinking about getting a new bike too.

What bike do you have @Mr_Odwin? What's the 'bike scheme'?

I have a Claud Butler Urban 300 from 2009.

claud-butler-urban-300-2009-hybrid-bike.jpg

Except I swapped the seat post for one without suspension. I love it, but if I were to buy another bike today I'd get it with even thinner tyres and a lighter frame.

I paid RRP because I bought it from the local bike shop rather than the internet. But now they feel responsible for it and are willing to do little things for free - like tweaking my brakes, or adjusting the gear cables when they stretch after first use.

The bike scheme is the thing that Ashley seems to be eligible for. Your employer has to set it up. At the company I work for you:

1. Buy a bike

2. Get it remimbursed

3. Pay it off in 12 monthly payments from your salary. These payments are before VAT, Tax, National Insurance. You save about 40%, which means a £400 bike is more like a £240 bike @jayseven.

But how much do people spend on cars? Ashley is going to be cycling at least 50 miles a week on this thing. That's 2600 miles a year. Or about an hour a day/almost 11 full days each year. Not to mention cycling in London can be quite dangerous. There's no such think as a little bit of stress with something like a bike.

Why anyone seriously thinking about cycling to work wouldn't want to invest heavily in a bike is short sighted at best and stupid at worst.

Bicycles can last you a realllllly long time if you pay good attention to it. I've actually had mine since I was 12, so that's 14 years now! Mine wasn't even that expensive, but it was "Bicycle of the Year" back then so must've been good haha.

Obviously it's had a lot of work done on it already though, since stuff tends to break from time to time. =P

But yeah it's best to invest in something decent rather than going for something really cheap. Have it checked/repaired from time to time at a local bicycle shop and it'll last you a long time. =)

But how much do people spend on cars? Ashley is going to be cycling at least 50 miles a week on this thing. That's 2600 miles a year. Or about an hour a day/almost 11 full days each year. Not to mention cycling in London can be quite dangerous. There's no such think as a little bit of stress with something like a bike.

Why anyone seriously thinking about cycling to work wouldn't want to invest heavily in a bike is short sighted at best and stupid at worst.

Pitting price of bike versus price of car is irrelevant in my own personal case, though I do understand why you've brought it into play. As I said, my opinion is largely based on being tight with money. I saved up for a year to buy a bike for £140 when I was 13. Rode it every day everywhere (not necessarily 50 a week but probably closer to 30, to school, town, football practice, etc). Bike lasted me 3 years, until I stopped football, etc.

But because sums of money like £400+ are, to me, typically over a month's earnings at the moment, it's just not something I am actually able to comprehend or justify because I really can't visualise having that sort of free cash (mmm the days of student loans! :P). I do totally understand that if people have that sort of disposable income then it becomes more of an option.

my point is moot.

claud-butler-urban-300-2009-hybrid-bike.jpg

I came in here to recommend Claud Butler. They make great road bikes. Though obviously they are no use of road, so you'll need to get something else if you plan on doing any non-road cycling.

I didn't know they made a hybrid though, how is it off/on road?

5 mile commute each way for me. Downhill all the way in which is awesome! Due to rush-hour traffic I'm usually the fasted thing on the road! Cycle home - not so awesome. I'm riding a Specialized Rockhopper purchased through Cyclescheme http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

You know a suspiciously large amount about bike theft. :p

You know a suspiciously large amount about bike theft. :p

Took me a while to find it, but this is where I got most of the info from:

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=327

This one is rather alarming:

The Neistat Brothers aren't the only ones to pull this off either. It seems nobody really gives a hoot if you're robbing a bike. Most probably assume that you own it and lost the key or something.

TBH though, it's not hard to find out how to steal stuff. There's even a guide to making a bump key on Lifehacker (a bump key opens almost any yale lock, so about 60% of British homes :eek:). The more you know about stealing the easier it is to stop people robbing you.

Edited by McPhee

You're supposed to be encouraging me :heh:

I tested it out yesterday. The guy said "you could go down there, round Soho square a few times and then back up or bomb up Tottenham Court Road". I certainly didn't do the latter, although I did feel more confident after a few minutes. Just need to brush up on the road rules.

Pitting price of bike versus price of car is irrelevant in my own personal case, though I do understand why you've brought it into play. As I said, my opinion is largely based on being tight with money. I saved up for a year to buy a bike for £140 when I was 13. Rode it every day everywhere (not necessarily 50 a week but probably closer to 30, to school, town, football practice, etc). Bike lasted me 3 years, until I stopped football, etc.

But because sums of money like £400+ are, to me, typically over a month's earnings at the moment, it's just not something I am actually able to comprehend or justify because I really can't visualise having that sort of free cash (mmm the days of student loans! :P). I do totally understand that if people have that sort of disposable income then it becomes more of an option.

my point is moot.

Yeah in some cases it may not be worth it but a car is pretty moot in London. An annual tube pass would be £1,288, bus would be £712. I'd much rather pay £300ish (rough estimate of bike minus tax and then all the add ons) and some more down the line and not have to deal with TfuckingL.

Anyway think I've settled on this:

viva-bellissimo-1-2010-single-speed-road-bike.jpg

Although just noticed its a lot cheaper on their website. Wonder if they'll price match themselves.

my point is moot.

Yeah, I'm not having a go. I think I probably had the same reaction before I cycled seriously. Also, I spent £500 on my bike but I pretty much made that back in 6 months with all the money I was saving from not using public transport.

You're supposed to be encouraging me :heh:

I tested it out yesterday. The guy said "you could go down there, round Soho square a few times and then back up or bomb up Tottenham Court Road". I certainly didn't do the latter, although I did feel more confident after a few minutes. Just need to brush up on the road rules.

Cycling isn't for everyone. My sister bought a bike. Cycled a couple hundred yards from home on her way to work. Got freaked, walked it home and never touched it again.

I assume since you're riding SS that you'll have a back brake on that bike.

Edited by Daft
Spelling stuff wrongz