NEurope
Diageo

Galaxy Skin

Samsung has shown a new type of phone to be released Q2 of 2012. The Galaxy Skin, which has a flexible display. It's an interesting new direction for phones. Will all phones go this way?

2-600x875.jpg

Whoa! I remember seeing phones like these (not by Samsung, I think) presented as concept phones, didn't think they'd be realised so soon (relatively). Hard to tell how practical it would be.

I don't know, possibly. It looks like phones are now going bigger after being such a fad to be small. (I'm sure you all remember!).

It looks lovely though!

The article I read where I got the photo says that it can withstand hammer blows.

Woah that looks pretty mental. I'm not due an upgrade till like June 2012. Could be some interesting phones to choose from by then.

Yeah I've seen these mentioned a lot. I'd say everyone is hurrying to get these to market as quickly as possible, to be seen as the inventors.

I'm not really liking the look of that, to be honest ::shrug: In fact, I'm quite apathetic to most phones on the market these days :hmm:

If I could buy a Sony Ericsson k750i (my previous phone) again as new for a low price, I'd totally go back to that! I currently have a Samsung Tocco Lite and although there are certain aspects of it I'm happy with, I miss having some decent buttons on there..

I don't get the appeal.

Also, those examples of how to use the phones unique design, are rubbish!

Why bend it into a channelled speaker shape... when the speakers won't even be where those digital ones are shown, thus no benefit. And why would I bother setting it down like a digital clock when it's simple enough to check the time on your phone. And really, why would you want to project movies on to a brick wall or something, when you can just watch them on a clear screen.

Not convinced yet.

Edited by Retro_Link

It reminds me of those bands that you whack over your wrists for it to wrap around.

I'd imagine I'd keep hitting it against things for this very reason.

The article I read where I got the photo says that it can withstand hammer blows.

I'd like a go at this.

All it needs is a too focused a bend, that's how I broke a pair of them "flexi" glasses which were most popular years ago*.

*They weren't mine.

Holy fuck, did the Nokia Morph just get beaten to the punch?

God damn, I want this. But as rulers taught me when I was a kid, there's got to be a limit that I'll step over..

I love it.

It's a shame that Apple will ban it because it looks too similar to the iPhone 6 (which they have just started developing after seeing this).

Edit: Also, it's just a concept. So Q2 2012 seems a bit too soon for a release.

I love it.

It's a shame that Apple will ban it because it looks too similar to the iPhone 6 (which they have just started developing after seeing this).

What do you have against Apple?

What do you have against Apple?

Well, they did sue Samsung because they somehow have a patent on "a black rectangle with rounded corners".

Well, they did sue Samsung because they somehow have a patent on "a black rectangle with rounded corners".

They look identical! It also infringes around 10 patents Apple own.

I think the fact that its been banned because of patent infringment shows that they have indeed copied it somewhat.

They look identical!

So identical that Apple actually modified the images of the Galaxy Tab and Galaxy S in the documents where they filed the claim.

Anyway, this patent business is for another thread. I was simply making a slight jab at Apple's aggression on trying to stop competitive products.

you do realise that Samsung are suing Apple as well? This isn't a one-way thing.

Also, the 'modified' shots of the Galaxy products were only resized. It's not like the added a load of buttons or fundamentally changed the design to make it look more like an iPad. Samsung did that for them. And yes, as Charlie says, the fact that the phones were banned clearly shows that there was something to the argument.