NEurope
GGG

Pokemon Colosseum vs. Pokemon XD

Hello

I have been visiting revo europe for some time, but this is my first question as a member.

I have bought GC two months ago (clearance sale - 48€ for GC + Mario Kart DD & Zelda WW). Needless to say, me and my son have quickly become big Nintendo fans. He is also a big Pokemon fan and next month is his birthday. I think that Pokemons on GC would be a great present. So, which game is bettter?

Pokemon XD is much better than the first. Since its really just a slight upgrade to Colloseum.

True, but Colloseum is half the price.

Or both games are extremely disappointing transitions of the Game Boy versions. You can barely call them RPG's - there is very little depth, the story is barely involving and the environments are a little weak, featuring barely any puzzles and dungeons.

I do actually like Pokemon, but those games really aren't very good. Might aswell go back to Baten Kaitos then....

Which is very hard by the way.

To be honest, they're both pretty much the same game, except you play a different character and the story is slightly different in XD. If I was to recommend one, I'd say Colosseum, if only because XD refers to events in it.

Gimo80 is right about them being nowhere near as good as the GBA games, though - the way XD has turned out has certainly made me trust Reggie less, what with his, 'it's a proper RPG like Ruby and Saphhire!' comments..

I am buying the game for 8-years old kid, not for me. Both games cost the same in Austria (50+€ Colosseum, 59,99 XD).

PS Can you recommend any internet shop for GC games - that can ship games to Slovenia (for a reasonable price), besides GAME and freerecordshop?

I'ld say XD, its a bigger game, has much more to do and has improved on just about everything Colosseum had

Ive got and completed Colosseum - well Ive not purified em all but Ive completed the Story Mode. Ive also just began XD and its very nice! Maybe Im only saying so because Ive not had any Pokemoning for a good while but I think its probably better than Colosseum although Id also say the two go hand in hand, so anyone who can own them both should do so.

Neither are obviously a full blown GBA in 3D adventure but they do what they do very well, embrace them for what they are my children.

Colloseum is actuall quite good (edit: my first foray into the phenomenon). Spent 99+ hours with this (in the NTSC version of the game the clock showing how much time spent max out at 99:59). Have ~40 purified Pokemons.

I am buying the game for 8-years old kid, not for me.
Dunno if this is wise. Altho the battle system is not that advanced (it's better than a lot of other RPGs), I think an 8-year old will fail to fully grasp the beauty, simplicity and at times complexity of the battle system.

[...]the story is barely involving
Agreed.

... and the environments are a little weak...
At first I felt a bit let down by this, but after seeing how beautiful and lavishly animated the Pokemon are in battle, I quickly forgot about this.

Is it possible to play these two games in multiplayer mode with normal controllers and without GBA?

Is it possible to play these two games in multiplayer mode with normal controllers and without GBA?

Nope. Ridiculous, isn't it?

But is also very very good.

Baten Kaitos really comes into its own on the second disc personally - I mean, I want to say what boss I'm on, but it's a bit of a spolier :p

But yeah, as far as decent RPG's go, the GC actually doesn't go without; Tales Of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario, Skies Of Arcadia - these are all absolutely exceptional games, so why anyone would even consider buying Pokemon instead of these should really be given a bloody good hiding :p