NEurope
jayseven

Tidying

Typically I'm an optimistic "life will sort itself out" kinda guy, but once in a while my domestic life becomes so damn unsorted that it begins to get to me.

As shorty and nami can testify, I'm not exactly the neatest person around (Read: nightmare housemate). I let things get to the point where I'm filling bin bags full of bottles, newspaper, wrappers, rail tickets, empty tobbacco pouches... I let my laundry pile up in one of those industrial-sized laundry bags until I've effectively run out of clothes, then do a couple lots of laundry and live off them 'til they're done. I've lived in this room nearly a year and I've hoovered... three times? Probably more than I did in teh 2 years of living with shorty and nami.

I got better with washing up when I moved out of theirs, doing it daily in my next digs, but here there's a dishwasher so that's no big deal.

So today, after basically not getting any sleep due to my brain going into stress mode, freaking out about everything that is wrong with my life, I'm getting back on track and getting shit done. Slowly but surely.

How many responsibilities do you guys have? Do you believe that an ordered house is an ordered mind?

I feel bad and unfocused when my surrondings are a mess, but i can't change. I try but i always go back to my messy tendencies. :sad:

Does anyone have any tips for preventing yourself from being a messy bastard?? I need them!

Edited by Pancake

Typically I'm an optimistic "life will sort itself out" kinda guy, but once in a while my domestic life becomes so damn unsorted that it begins to get to me.

As shorty and nami can testify, I'm not exactly the neatest person around (Read: nightmare housemate). I let things get to the point where I'm filling bin bags full of bottles, newspaper, wrappers, rail tickets, empty tobbacco pouches... I let my laundry pile up in one of those industrial-sized laundry bags until I've effectively run out of clothes, then do a couple lots of laundry and live off them 'til they're done. I've lived in this room nearly a year and I've hoovered... three times? Probably more than I did in teh 2 years of living with shorty and nami.

I got better with washing up when I moved out of theirs, doing it daily in my next digs, but here there's a dishwasher so that's no big deal.

So today, after basically not getting any sleep due to my brain going into stress mode, freaking out about everything that is wrong with my life, I'm getting back on track and getting shit done. Slowly but surely.

How many responsibilities do you guys have? Do you believe that an ordered house is an ordered mind?

Sounds like me! I currently have a pile of clothes that I just keep adding to. Some are clean and I can't be bothered to hang them up and some are worn.

Life-wise I have so many things I need to arrange and I just never motivate myself into doing them. I really need to look for a real job as I really don't like my current one and it's nothing at all what I want to do. I also need to start taking driving lessons but I've done nothing towards starting them.

our house is pretty darned spick and spam at the moment.

but we're pretty organised in that there's never any dirty dishes, we use the washing machine twice a week for clothes and iron clothes every sunday.

hoover every sunday also,

the only thing we're a bit slack with is the dusting.

the garden,..... now that's another story.

Sounds like me! I currently have a pile of clothes that I just keep adding to. Some are clean and I can't be bothered to hang them up and some are worn.

Life-wise I have so many things I need to arrange and I just never motivate myself into doing them. I really need to look for a real job as I really don't like my current one and it's nothing at all what I want to do. I also need to start taking driving lessons but I've done nothing towards starting them.

Basically this. Except that I don't really have any kind of job yet. And I've had the driving lessons but I'm not practising on my own now...

Mostly it's the clothes part I guess heh.

But yeah I'm a bit messy usually, got clothes strewn around my room or piling up somewhere (usually my desk chair). My desk is always covered in clutter, meaning I never use it. I do all my work on my bed, or on the desk in the next room heh.

Emotionally I'm very often a mess, with my head filled with scary and depressing thoughts etc. The things that keep you awake at night. Which is another thing, I don't go to bed until about 4-5 am these days (3 am on a good night) and then sleep until 11 or 12. One of the reasons is that it's more peaceful at night, no one to bother me, no one around to annoy me.

Anyway yeah, my life feels like a bit of a mess heh. A big clean-up is needed (literally and mentally), but I lack motivation. =P

The biggest problem I have is deciding what to do and what to keep. Hoovering and laundry is simple - when it needs doing, it needs doing. But no, I have trouble with things like "Am I ever going to read that book?" or "Do I really need a CD player, a DVD player and a games console?" type of thing.

I like to keep my living room really clean and always make sure that it is, we hoover quite a lot and the dishes are never out of hand. Only time its messy is if we've been out and are hungover the next day. Nothing gets done then.

My bedroom is a totally different story. I do a lot of work at my desk and just can't keep it tidy! I've no idea how people have tidy desks. I've always got random pieces of paper with notes, things I need to do lying about. I have another chair in my room which I like to leave clothes out that are 'on the go'. i.e, only been worn once but will be worn again soon sort of thing. My bin is pretty much always full and over flowing, there's a pile of clothes in the corner which are waiting to be washed. It's not really that bad since my room is really big but I can never motivate myself to clean it unless I know I have company.

My wee en-suite is always clean because its so small and only me using it. The loo is easy to keep clean, the shower will get a going over once a week (when I'm in it) and any time I notice a mess or something on the sink I'll give it a wipe.

Basically this. Except that I don't really have any kind of job yet. And I've had the driving lessons but I'm not practising on my own now...

Mostly it's the clothes part I guess heh.

But yeah I'm a bit messy usually, got clothes strewn around my room or piling up somewhere (usually my desk chair). My desk is always covered in clutter, meaning I never use it. I do all my work on my bed, or on the desk in the next room heh.

Emotionally I'm very often a mess, with my head filled with scary and depressing thoughts etc. The things that keep you awake at night. Which is another thing, I don't go to bed until about 4-5 am these days (3 am on a good night) and then sleep until 11 or 12. One of the reasons is that it's more peaceful at night, no one to bother me, no one around to annoy me.

Anyway yeah, my life feels like a bit of a mess heh. A big clean-up is needed (literally and mentally), but I lack motivation. =P

When I had my last job, life was in general more organised and efficient -- having more structure to my day meant I pretty much had to get shit done when a free slot turned up. These days with shifts so sparce, it's generally a case of leaving things 'til the last possible minute, simply because there's nothing to do tomorrow, anyway.

I'm a bit of a night-person, too, but the danger is it makes me less sociable. I'm aware that when I'm up late morning/afternoon and going downstairs I'm being sorta judged, and the timing of the things I want to do mess up with my dad and step-mum, who I live with, and I don't want to tread on any toes.

I also basically live on my bed. It's not good practice in a lot of ways - your sleeping place needs to be reserved for one (or two :P) roles in your life. By sitting/laying on bed and watching telly and surfing the net, it makes getting to sleep trickier because you don't just associate bed with sleep.

My excuse is the layout of my room. There's not really a lot of standing space, and my desk doesn't face the telly, and I have to sit on the bed to play games... :P Oh, and my desk is a mess, too.

This has happened towards the end of my lease in every place I've been. Just putting sorting my shit out off because hey, in 3 months I'll be packing it all up and shifting it, I can sort it then, anyway.

Anyway, sorted out a whole bunch of stuff. Still what my girlfriend would consider "really messy" but to me it's miles better already.

tl;dr: Accidentally my everything.

I feel bad and unfocused when my surrondings are a mess, but i can't change. I try but i always go back to my messy tendencies. :sad:

Does anyone have any tips for preventing yourself from being a messy bastard?? I need them!

Put/tidy away things STRAIGHT AWAY. One pair of socks on the floor will become a pile of clothes, an unmade bed for a day won't ever get made, one dish will turn into a sinkful...it's not easy, you have to force yourself to follow up on things immediately but that's how you stop things from building up :)

--

I can't stand untidiness, that's why I always look to share accommodation with professionals instead of students :woops: I used to be pretty lazy about it but my mum is a neat freak, so I started off keeping everything in order to make her happy, now it's become a good habit. The best tip I've learned is to do bits and pieces every now and then, like scrub the sink before it starts to get dirty, tidy the cupboards to stop things from getting too messy etc., instead of cleaning EVARYTHING IN THE KITCHEN in one go. That way, you don't have to dedicate a huge chunk of time to doing things, and the task won't seem as big in the mind (and therefore more appealing/less not-appealing).

I procrastinate by tidying, so my accommodation at university tends to be very tidy (the kitchen a little less so, but still far better than average). My room at my parents' house is a different story, however, especially given there isn't actually any space for all my stuff.

I had 2 years of living on my own. My house was much tidier then that it is now my girlfriend has moved in.

Who says a house needs a woman's touch?

Also I suppose there's a difference between tidy and clean as well...

I'm okay for cleanliness but not super great.

Where as I'm very tidy and don't like things just being about the place.

I procrastinate by tidying

That sums me up. Well that, and I tidy when anxious/nervous/upset about something - I might not be able to sort my life out but I can tidy my room kind of thing.

When I was living in halls, I made sure to take with me the bare minimum so I didn't have to worry about being messy myself. If you only have one plate, you have to clean it for the next time you want to use it. Those things I did have more than one of, I left in wrapping in the cupboard so as to not use them if I didn't have too.

I crave tidiness, my paperwork is all organised sitting next to me ready to be sorted into my folder, I have an intray, i spend 5 minutes before bed whizzing round my room making sure its tidy. I hate having junk/stuff. I like minimalist everything. A reaction against my mum who keeps everything.

I guess the state of my room reflects my life/mind at the moment. It's not that it's a mess, it's just that it needs a very, very good tidy. And yet, while I know this, I just can't be bothered. It's the fuss of trying to remember whether or not I need something that means I end up just piling things up, bagging all of the rubbish and sorting what needs to be recycled before returning to whatever menial task I was doing previously. Maybe it's because I'm too anal about sorting everything out into paper, plastic, etc. that I just can't be bothered with it (or more likely I can't be bothered putting up with myself in that psychological state).

That's of course perfectly reflected in how, with days before classes start at Uni again, I haven't come up with an idea for a dissertation, haven't sorted out my student loan (would be the first year taking one out though) and haven't done a lot of other things. It's just a general lack of motivation and thinking that I'll get it sorted in the end really. ::shrug:

Not sure whether a clean room would ultimately lead on to me sorting everything else out (certainly wouldn't sort my mind out but even a shrink would have trouble unravelling this mess that occupies the space between my ears) but it's probably a good start. I do wish I wasn't as bad as I am at tidying/sorting things out, and it's something I'll have to sort out by just getting up and doing, but it's all too easy to adhere to the comfortable.

Some of you are crazzy.

I'm a lot better than I was, first year of uni, my room was a tip, I was sometimes worse than Jayseven, but lived in halls, so it wasn't an issue.

Nowadays I tend to have more time (ie I work 40hours full time rather than balancing univesity and a job.) So my room will be a tip in the morning and tidied up at night, this usually comes from when I was younger and living at home, to make sure my room was clean before my Dad came home.

I tend to find if I have a messy room I can't concentrate on anything but cleaning it and tend to hoover/clean my bathroom at least twice a week, I've gone from messy to neatfreak >.< Living in such an expensive house has encouraged that, I couldn't bare to make it messy!

Lets see what do I currently have on my floor?

a mug

A bear

3 Dishes

1 Bowl

Slushi container

plate on a subway wrapper

Another mug

Smoe clothes

My New York Yankees hoody

Hello Kitty Headphones

Plastic bags.

3 days worth of post

newspaper clippings

socks

Cars 2 shiny poster

Wallet

Bag

Half of a duvet

Bits of tissue/kitchen towel

Empty 2 litre Cherry Coke

Curb Your Enthusiasm season 1-6

Lotso Huggin Bear

Nintendo 3DS

DS Games

3DS games

A watch

Stlyus

3DS

PS2 Games

Flat lemonade hald drunk

Paper

Mattress sheet

Salsa Dip

Pizza box

My sense of selfworth

Other than that I'm tidy tidy man. Except my appearance. dirty dirty man. :grin:

to be fair its like 2 people living in my room. :D

Me and My Flatmate.

Though we are in a house.

So got her nonsense in my room.

Oh btw I go from Super Tidy to Messy at a constant rotation. :santa:

I live in a fairly small maisonette, and it gets messy pretty quickly. I really hate it, but just never seem to find the time to do any tidying!

It's the same in the school where I work. I've got a reputation of being the messiest teacher, as my desk's always strewn with various papers. It really irks me, but I barely get the chance to even sit in the staffroom to eat my lunch most days, so I don't know how I'm supposed to get the time to tidy it up. The worst bit is I always make such a fuss about the children keeping their desks clean, and don't let them out to play until they are - they must think I'm such a hypocrite! :p

I have a bit of OCD about neatness. I like everything to be symmetrical or parallel, stacked in size order, alphabetised, that kind of thing. My kids have a hard time because sometimes I tidy away their toys while they're still playing with them. It's worse at work where I am fully in charge of my domain.

I'm not too bad when it comes to tidyness. Parents always said, my room may be untidy, but everything is in neat piles. Always dust the room once a week, something i got into the habit of.

I have a bit of OCD about neatness. I like everything to be symmetrical or parallel, stacked in size order, alphabetised, that kind of thing. My kids have a hard time because sometimes I tidy away their toys while they're still playing with them. It's worse at work where I am fully in charge of my domain.

I'm a bit like this when it comes to anything on my DVD/Blu Ray/Games unit. Everything has to be line up flush with the bevel of the shelf, absolutely no protruding. Everything is categorised in alphabetical order too :heh:

As for the rest of the the room, is pretty tidy. I just don't like living in mess. I also like the minimalist look, which is why my Desk only has my laptop and an NHL game puck on it.

Edited by Jon