NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter 4!!!!

I'm the opposite, I think Monster Hunter is better on handhelds. With Monster Hunter 3 on Wii U I can barely read the text unless if I play on the gamepad and if I do that it becomes very blurry so it's hard to read either way, and the PS2 games just have that really weird control with the right stick.

So the text on the Wii U edition of Tri was difficult to read too? I thought this was only a problem I was facing when playing the original Wii version on an old SD TV. Hoped HD would sharpen it up and make it legible...! I had the same problem with Xenoblade which is partly why I gave up playing it. Working out item descriptions was guesswork.

I wouldn't say that a Wii U version is out of the question yet... The "HD" versions of the portable MH games usually hit about 6-12 months after the last portable version of that game gets released, so, if they intend to stick to their usual pattern, we're not actually due a Wii U version yet anyway...

Besides, this IS Capcom we're talking about after all. There's nowhere else they can port it to afterwards (can't connect a 3DS to anything else other than a Wii U after all!) and they LOVE to port their games as much as possible in general ;)

As much as I want a Wii U version of this, I'd be so pissed off if it happened 6-12 months after the portable version. :mad:

No way would I replay a game of this length, and even if you can transfer the save file I'd likely be done with the game by then anyway, so there would be no point.

Wii U version at the same time as 3DS, Capcom or don't bother. :nono:

As much as I want a Wii U version of this, I'd be so pissed off if it happened 6-12 months after the portable version. :mad:

No way would I replay a game of this length, and even if you can transfer the save file I'd likely be done with the game by then anyway, so there would be no point.

Wii U version at the same time as 3DS, Capcom or don't bother. :nono:

This.

Plus, we've waited for so long for this anyway. Waiting even longer for a WiiU version would be really, really pushing it. Do it cross platform or something, make it available for both 3DS and WiiU from Day1.

It really is a great shame that this won't come to the Wii U immediately if at all. :(

After playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate again recently, it's so clear to me that everything about that game was a perfect fit for the Wii U especially as it let you play the way that you wanted to be that on the TV or the gamepad or both by letting you decide what HUD elements go where; personally I go for completely HUD-free with all of the info on the gamepad and it's just brilliant. : peace:

So why Capcom won't be making a Wii U version of MH4G especially seeing as we are getting it that much later is beyond me. :blank: I know that it has probably been explained to me before... :indeed: but still there's a niggling feeling every time I watch a trailer for this I think 'wow this is amazing!' and then realising it's 3DS only, I can't help but feel let down a bit.

Clearly I will still be picking this up in whichever form - possibly multiple - when it arrives as I have no doubts that it will deliver but if Capcom aren't even going to consider brining it to the Wii U as well within 6 months of the 3DS version coming out with some form of cross compatibility then I can't help but feel that it's them who are missing out on free sales as I know that from many of us it would be a guaranteed purchase. ::shrug:

Ultimately though if they do bring it out later on with no way of transferring your character then that would kill the experience a bit more for me because then I'd almost certainly just be 'jumping ship' between versions but if we do get a home console port with full transfer capability later down the line then I'll certainly be grateful; indeed I am still thankful for the series existing on Nintendo platforms - not wanting to get into the 'which home console would be better for MH' debate - so I'll still be supporting it. : peace:

Still though... it could have been a brand new third party game for the Wii U as well, those are something of a rarity these days. :indeed:

How can you play MH3U on the gamepad?? Oo

The button placement is horrendous! I can't deal with it, I have to use CCP or the Pro controller. Using L and R instead or zL and zR was the stupidest decision ever as was not giving you a choice. (Yeah, the L and R button placements suck ass).

The button placement is horrendous! I can't deal with it, I have to use CCP or the Pro controller. Using L and R instead or zL and zR was the stupidest decision ever as was not giving you a choice. (Yeah, the L and R button placements suck ass).

Err... You DO have a choice... There's an option that lets you mirror the L/R functions on Zl/Zr on the Gamepad (and on the Pro Controller/Classic Controller Pro too for that matter!)

Doing so puts an icon on the touch screen to bring up the chat in place of pressing Zr.

Err... You DO have a choice... There's an option that lets you mirror the L/R functions on Zl/Zr on the Gamepad (and on the Pro Controller/Classic Controller Pro too for that matter!)

Doing so puts an icon on the touch screen to bring up the chat in place of pressing Zr.

Wait, what? =O

Where? Was the game updated at some point? I know for a fact it didn't have that feature when I played it as everyone on Gaf was raging about it. It's been a long while since I've played it (400 hours of MH3 on Wii meant I barely played MH3U).

Wait, what? =O

Where? Was the game updated at some point? I know for a fact it didn't have that feature when I played it as everyone on Gaf was raging about it. It's been a long while since I've played it (400 hours of MH3 on Wii meant I barely played MH3U).

Pretty sure that was there since the beginning... IIRC, it's on the 3rd page of options in game - under Zl/Zr settings (I think it's Type 2 that mirrors the L/R buttons)

Pretty sure that was there since the beginning... IIRC, it's on the 3rd page of options in game - under Zl/Zr settings (I think it's Type 2 that mirrors the L/R buttons)

I can guarantee it wasn't there since the beginning as I clearly remember people raging about having to buy a different controller to make the game playable (yay hyperbole) and I fiddled with the options out of frustration and wanting to play with the gamepad and it wasn't an option. Glad they fixed it though, will have to try it out.

Edit: yeah, just googled it, it was added in an update about a year ago.

Oh I don't personally...

What I meant to say is that while I have the action on-screen with all of the information relegated to the gamepad set up on its stand in front of me, I then opt to play exclusively with the pro controller; it's a pretty decent setup. : peace:

Oh I don't personally...

What I meant to say is that while I have the action on-screen with all of the information relegated to the gamepad set up on its stand in front of me, I then opt to play exclusively with the pro controller; it's a pretty decent setup. : peace:

That's exactly as I play, with the exception of the health and stamina bars, which I prefer on the TV. It's really nice to use the 2nd screen to touch for items, but play with the Wii U Pro C.

So the text on the Wii U edition of Tri was difficult to read too? I thought this was only a problem I was facing when playing the original Wii version on an old SD TV. Hoped HD would sharpen it up and make it legible...! I had the same problem with Xenoblade which is partly why I gave up playing it. Working out item descriptions was guesswork.

The text is microscopic as if they forgot the Wii U is HD and needs higher resolution text. You should download the demo and try flicking through the menus, unless you sit really close to the TV good luck reading anything. Or maybe my eyesight's just bad lol :D

I had a go on this yesterday at Hyper Japan, just the single player. Plays really well with all the new climbing and acrobatic stuff they've worked in.

Outside of that it feels like the same old Monster Hunter formula with a bunch of neat improvements.

Stole a sneak at the in-game menu too and can confirm there are a few different camera options in there. Something about a dynamic terrain camera? Don't remember, some massive lava dinosaur was trying to eat me.

Really hope that same demo comes out on the eShop before the launch because it's full of guidance this time unlike the MH3U demo that sent hunters out to swim with weights tied around their ankles and a cramp.

Roll on 2015! Why is the release so damn far away?

Edited by Guy

Did you get to try out the new weapons?

Agh... I probably should have tried the Insect Rod, but ended up just using dual blades like the boring peon I am. I'm sure it was available though, there was was a fairly vast selection.

The demo had beginner, intermediate and advanced quests available. The beginner was a Great Jaggi, the intermediate was the lava triceratops thing I fought. Didn't even check advanced for fear of karting 3 times and looking like a chump to the 8 year old kid who was playing on the demo unit beside me.

One other thing I noticed was the TV screen displaying a feed from one of the systems looked super bright and over-saturated, but this is probably because the colours are all ramped up to compensate for people playing with dimmed brightness on handheld screens. I was worried about this after seeing the trailers etc., but the game looked fine on the actual 3DS system.

Edited by Guy

Capcom blog update: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - new multiplayer info (NA/EU can play online together)

Let's talk about the main focus again: multiplayer! I'm proud to confirm that multiplayer in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will work amongst both North American and European versions, online AND locally!

So whether you have friends on the other side of the pond or you're traveling abroad, you can still join your fellow hunter and take on majestic beasts!

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/234224-capcom-blog-update-monster-hunter-4-ultimate-new-multiplayer-info-na-eu-can-play-online-together

Sweet! Now just announce it for Wii U and we're good to go.

I'm happy with it staying on handhelds. Had some great hunts on my 3DS.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - New Promotional Trailer

New Gameplay Trailer

MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE NEW NINTENDO 3DS XL BUNDLE ANNOUNCED FOR JAPAN

new_nintendo_3ds_plus_monster_hunter_4_ultimate.png

Nintendo Japan and Capcom have announced that they will be releasing a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate bundle with the new Nintendo 3DS XL in Japan. The console will go on sale on October 11th and will cost 25,600 yen which is roughly $245.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/29/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-bundle-announced-for-japan/

HERE’S A CLOSER LOOK AT THE NEW NINTENDO 3DS FEATURED ON CAPCOM STREAM

Capcom Japan employees have shown off the new Nintendo 3DS in a recent Capcom stream. The new Nintendo 3DS shown is the special edition Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate version. The new Nintendo 3DS will be released in Japan on October 10th, but we will have to wait until next year to get our hands on it in the west.Capcom Japan employees have shown off the new Nintendo 3DS in a recent Capcom stream. The new Nintendo 3DS shown is the special edition Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate version. The new Nintendo 3DS will be released in Japan on October 10th, but we will have to wait until next year to get our hands on it in the west.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/09/03/heres-a-closer-look-at-the-new-nintendo-3ds-featured-on-capcom-stream/

That looks really nice. That works out at roughly €185 for the New 3DS XL and the game. I wouldn't be optimistic about this coming to Europe and not a chance in hell it'll be that price. But it would be good if both happen.

New system looks neat, but I still hope they bring that black MH4 XL out over here, maybe as a New 3DS XL. Might be the only thing that would push me toward a new XL over the standard unit.

The new system is so blatantly gonna launch here whenever Monster Hunter does. Perfect bundle game.

All Nintendo need to do now is announce a Xenoblade themed one just to put me make me indecisive..... though the changable faceplates on the normal size "new" might help make that choice easier

If Nintendo/Capcom decide to bring out the MH4U New 3DS XL in a bundle with a physical copy of the game for the release date of the new system - which obviously should be the release date of MH4U too - then I'll get it on day 1 for certain. : peace:

A lot can change between now and 2015 though.