NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

I've stuck with Monk, White Mage, Black Mage and Thief. They are all at level 9 now so ill probably just stick with them until they are maxed out. I haven't struggled yet with this setup due to me over levelling and just tanking my way through the boss fights.

With hindsight, I'd have just stuck to a few favourite jobs, then used them as a base for the next one. I love the Knight job, for instance. It has some great moves that make a character stronger even once they change classes (as long as you keep Knight as a sub-class). As I say, with hindsight I'd have done it like this...

Tiz - Monk, Thief

Agnes - White Mage, Summoner

Ringabel - Black Mage, Ranger

Edea - Knight, Spell Fencer

I haven't played it as smoothly as I'd like, but in my opinion, half the pleasure with this specific type of RPG is tinkering about with the job system. Might switch Agnes back to White Mage, with Summoner as a sub-class. I don't know if it's my imagination (or we've all just got high HP), but she doesn't seem to heal very well as a Summoner.

Just acquired the Summoner job. Beat the boss in 5 rounds. :D To be fair it was a mistake as I defaulted my first 3 goes, unleashed hell on the 4th and then hit Auto by accident which made me unleash again but put me in negative 2 moves. Luckily the boss died during this second onslaught. :)

I actually hadn't thought of that tactic. I tend to Brave the first four rounds, then risk what'll happen next - a good tactic for normal battles, but maybe not bosses! :heh: In all seriousness, I am very stuck in my ways about RPG battle systems, but I have found the Brave or Default system very easy to pick up.

^LOL I always take all my four goes at once apart from Agnes who's my healer, who I use "as needed". I have it set to 4x battle speed too. I tried normal speed yesterday after most of the game at 4x and it was unbearable. It should be noted that it skips summon animations, so if I do any I turn it off.

As for class mixes, I try not to mix magic and physical strength characters. Since weapons usually give big strength or magic boosts, it seems wasteful. I guess there's "averaging out" but I go one way or the other. Just my play style. There's probably exceptions though (maybe Sword Sorcerer? Or some future job I haven't got).

There is one thing about this game I don't like though; there appears to be no way to over-level jobs without normal over-levelling, ultimately making it pointless because you become uber. I wanted a bit more strategy by getting new skills, only to become tanks that barely need the skills/abilities I'd just earned.

Wait Salve Master is useful...not tried it once, it seemed a pointless class

i'm still on

I've fought several of the bosses now and mastered a few jobs for each character

I found Ringabell as a Dark Knight with Freelancer support ability (using mimic) is amazing on bosses

odd one, most bosses don't give XP now, but Artemitia the Ranger just did...what is that about

and the bravo bikini...damn censorship :p

^LOL I always take all my four goes at once apart from Agnes who's my healer, who I use "as needed". I have it set to 4x battle speed too. I tried normal speed yesterday after most of the game at 4x and it was unbearable. It should be noted that it skips summon animations, so if I do any I turn it off.

Yeah, x2 for me. Definitely wouldn't want to play it at normal speed.

As for class mixes, I try not to mix magic and physical strength characters. Since weapons usually give big strength or magic boosts, it seems wasteful. I guess there's "averaging out" but I go one way or the other. Just my play style.

If I'm honest, I've got myself into a right muddle with this. Would it actually make a character physically weaker if I train them as a Mage, then back into a Knight?

If I'm honest, I've got myself into a right muddle with this. Would it actually make a character physically weaker if I train them as a Mage, then back into a Knight?

No, it won't.

Wait Salve Master is useful...not tried it once, it seemed a pointless class

i'm still on

I've fought several of the bosses now and mastered a few jobs for each character

I found Ringabell as a Dark Knight with Freelancer support ability (using mimic) is amazing on bosses

odd one, most bosses don't give XP now, but Artemitia the Ranger just did...what is that about

and the bravo bikini...damn censorship :p

It is incredibly useful and as said, makes White Mage into a complete joke. ALL healing items in/out of battle do double health healing. Ethers/Turbo Ethers even restore twice the amount of MP...EVEN USED OUT OF BATTLE! Full health restore Raise with just a potion+phoenix down. There's over 80 different item combos, and I've only seen a few.

Still only on chapter 3, but just before this temple boss there's certain battles that net you almost 1,000pg (without merchant) that usually come in two that you can easily steal Flame Hatchets off...for 3,500pg each! It's like 8,000 easy a battle. Crazy...

Well just had the game crash on me 3/4 of the way through a boss battle. I only wanted to know what Spirit Barrier does... :cry:

Unlocked Red Mage, liked the abilities from the demo but they are a pain to fight against. :laughing:

Oh and when do I get this item that doubles JP gain?

Edited by Ike
Automerged Doublepost

Well just had the game crash on me 3/4 of the way through a boss battle. I only wanted to know what Spirit Barrier does... :cry:

Unlocked Red Mage, liked the abilities from the demo but they are a pain to fight against. :laughing:

Oh and when do I get this item that doubles JP gain?

what item doubles JP?

i had it crash on a boss a day or so ago...right when he had 5000 of his 80000 hp left too! i only started playing the game again after that, it pee'd me right off

Growth egg, it costs 500k and doubles EXP and JP gain for the party but you get no money.

Growth egg, it costs 500k and doubles EXP and JP gain for the party but you get no money.

If you're planning on buying all super expensive items it'd probably be best to get the money doubler first, then you can use it to get your money back faster to buy all the other stuff.

You can also stack money increase with the Merchant ability "More Money", but it doesn't stack with the item money increaser. Some guy on Gamefaqs says the opposite though (that the ability doesn't stack with others with the ability, but DOES stack with item money increaser) claiming it says that on the Japanese Description I can honestly say I've no idea, even having used the More Money on multiple characters,since I never noticed how much I was getting anyway. I tend just to stick to what it says in the English one.

Just spoiled 2 things about the story thanks to Miiverse... That spoiler button is too tempting to press.

Datz sounds like he voiced by Chris Sabat... Sounds familiar anyway.

Just started Chapter 4. Holy crap that's a huge kick-up for pg/exp/jp!

Switched Ringabel to Ninja. It's okay. He's twinning a Kotetsu and a Raijin-something or other. Second ability is Thief, but it means I lose Ranger target weakness skills. I can Abilink someone with Mug, though, giving me the best of all of them. But it's cheating, right?

I can Abilink someone with Mug, though, giving me the best of all of them. But it's cheating, right?

Not really, it's hardly breaking the game I find, plus it saves grinding. ;)

Also the Thief skills are great. Mug and Life Thief are really useful.

Got Pirate last night, seems to have some useful skills. Changed Tiz and Edea into pirates, find it hard to decide which job to give everyone. I haven't really decided on Tiz, he's been a Freelancer mostly so far.

Isn't Edea supposed to have the highest P.Atk? Seems she to do the least damage, not sure if it's just because she's in the wrong job. She can take hits like a champ though.

Abilink is a feature they chose to put in, it's really not cheating. There are too many jobs to individually level for each character anyway.

The game just arrived.

I have to study for the exam next Wednesday.

No studying today, though :D

I suppose I'm in for a nice RPG-treat?

The game just arrived.

I have to study for the exam next Wednesday.

No studying today, though :D

I suppose I'm in for a nice RPG-treat?

Not sure, to be honest. At first I thought it was absolutely brilliant, but I've been stuck on Chapter 3 for over a week. I'm not saying Chapter 3 is bad, just that the game has started to drag so much, at least for me.

I don't think the Brave/Default system helps, as it means you need to input 4x the commands. This is OK for most random battles (as you can put it on Auto), but it's annoying when you want your Mage to switch between Fire, Ice etc. If an enemy is resistant to a particular element, you will actually regenerate its health if you use the wrong attack.

For boss battles, the Brave/Default system doesn't make a great deal of sense either, as they can require you to Default on successive turns, yet it's hard/impossible to guess which ones. I've had trouble with two bosses in Chapter 3, despite being (going by my gut feeling) over-levelled. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's an unnecessary variation on normal turn-based combat.

I hope you enjoy it, but there is definitely room for a better RPG on the 3DS.

I don't think the Brave/Default system helps, as it means you need to input 4x the commands. This is OK for most random battles (as you can put it on Auto), but it's annoying when you want your Mage to switch between Fire, Ice etc. If an enemy is resistant to a particular element, you will actually regenerate its health if you use the wrong attack.

For boss battles, the Brave/Default system doesn't make a great deal of sense either, as they can require you to Default on successive turns, yet it's hard/impossible to guess which ones. I've had trouble with two bosses in Chapter 3, despite being (going by my gut feeling) over-levelled. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's an unnecessary variation on normal turn-based combat.

I hope you enjoy it, but there is definitely room for a better RPG on the 3DS.

I typically examine the enemy for the weakness, or if i'm unsure of what it can absorb i will only hit it once and leave +2 brave for the next turn...once you are sure you aren't going to heal it then you can obliterate it

I find its always good to have the characters brave/default alternatly, so the healer is ready with braves after the rest have attacked, i only go all out when i know the boss is dead or in the case of the boss in chapter 3 which is evil evil evil, you go all out most of the time.

are we talking about the temple guardian the big eye blob with a shield? Chagmaur or something?

Its best to poison the boss while its barrier is up and buff your party, then the turn after it drops it barrier DEFAULT and you'll surive, the turn after you need your attackers/mages to use all default and hit it hard! lightning attacks work a wonder, i also found valkaries (if their jumps were timed right) work well.

The turn after heal and default

rince and repeat until its dead

wait till you can refight it with 80,000hp lol

its actually considerably easier 2nd time around too

are we talking about the temple guardian the big eye blob with a shield? Chagmaur or something?

Its best to poison the boss while its barrier is up and buff your party, then the turn after it drops it barrier DEFAULT and you'll surive, the turn after you need your attackers/mages to use all default and hit it hard! lightning attacks work a wonder, i also found valkaries (if their jumps were timed right) work well.

The turn after heal and default

rince and repeat until its dead

wait till you can refight it with 80,000hp lol

its actually considerably easier 2nd time around too

That one did give me a lot of trouble, but the one I can't get past at the moment is...

seem[/i] too hard, but he keeps knocking everyone's HP down sooner or later. Maybe I'm just losing patience with this game in general.

Not really, it's hardly breaking the game I find, plus it saves grinding. ;)

Also the Thief skills are great. Mug and Life Thief are really useful.

Got Pirate last night, seems to have some useful skills. Changed Tiz and Edea into pirates, find it hard to decide which job to give everyone. I haven't really decided on Tiz, he's been a Freelancer mostly so far.

Isn't Edea supposed to have the highest P.Atk? Seems she to do the least damage, not sure if it's just because she's in the wrong job. She can take hits like a champ though.

I think I misunderstood Abilink. I thought it allowed you to use a specific move without having any of those job abilities added (such as being a Ninja with secondary Ranger, and having Abilink for Mug). Oh well. It's essentially useless, and not really what I wanted to use it for.

I'm halfway in the game, I think. Last I did was the poison dungeon. It looks good, but other than that it's quite average. Except for the battle system, which is quite awful. It says a lot about the battle system when they speed it up to 4 times and includes auto battles. Isn't there rpgs out there that are flamed for "pressing only one button" :p

But I think my favourite part of the game has been "unacceptable!" Best line ever :p I laugh out loud every time.

That one did give me a lot of trouble, but the one I can't get past at the moment is...

seem[/i] too hard, but he keeps knocking everyone's HP down sooner or later. Maybe I'm just losing patience with this game in general.

There are two specific bosses on Chapter 3 you have no choice but to do it one turn at a time instead of just Bravex4.

There's a boss on Chapter 4 you can just kill in 2 hits. It's were I currently am, and things have definitely picked up story-wise. I do find this game a little easy, even on Hard (since beginning).

Most bosses let you get weapons early.

Salve Maker "Widen Area" is just legendary. Use it with a Phoenix Down then Cura x All. This class is pure awesome, but I've just got another job that claims it's the ultimate white magician.

TIPS FOR GRAZZA!! I may be finding this game easy because I upgraded Norende so early. The Special Move shops just give you such good stuff. The weapon/armour shops are nearly useless because that early there's no way you can even afford to buy them (leave them until last), whereas the Special Move parts you can use immediately. Grazza, I recommend that your healer has a staff, and that you build the special up before the battle. Heck, during the battle get her/he casting cure even if you don't need it to build the special back up. With special parts, as well as restoring ludicrous amounts of HP, it also restores MP (great for your attack mage and not wasting Ethers!) it can also restore BP and get everyone ready to attack again! Maxed out first staff special has saved me so many times. Do everything you can to make your healer un-killable, as there's no point having a healer that dies first, right?

^Heck, make sure all your attack specials are set for both the bosses weaknesses (its family weakness and elemental weakness).

Did anyone notice early in the game they all treat Ringabel like some uber pervert before he's even acted pervy yet? Hmm...cut dialogue?

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

I'm stuck on the automation sub boss in chapter 3. I'm fine until they boost their stats and rocket punch the team.

Well, so far it's nice. I mean, I'm 30 minutes in so there's not much I've seen.

Will give some more impressions as soon as I've played some more.