NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

New game confirmed at the conference. Many thought it was a 4 Heroes sequel as it shares a similar visual style but it's a new IP. Looks great.

Edited by Retro_Link

im definitely interested, although there are other games that i want (MK7, SM3DL, MH3G, MH4!!!!!!!!!!, FE!!!!!!,Mario Tennis etc) the more variety the better!

This was one of the true highlights of the show. Nice surprise and seems like it's by the 4 Warriors of Light team. Can't wait! But they'll have to change that name for the western release - sounds like a reference to the debt crisis!!

The first section appears to be the developers discussing the history of Square Enix. Flick to 3:15 for a glimpse of the game. Music sounds a bit like Ninokuni, which is a very good thing in my book!

Edited by Lens of Truth

The 4 Heroes of Light just looks like a bland dungeon crawler to me, so this likely won't be any better.

Which is a shame, because the music and graphics in the trailer are nice.

The 4 Heroes of Light just looks like a bland dungeon crawler to me, so this likely won't be any better.

Which is a shame, because the music and graphics in the trailer are nice.

The 4HoL is no more a dungeon crawler than any other RPG out there. It adds a novel twist to battles and limits your inventory to fifteen items at any time, refreshing the tried and tested JRPG formula quite a bit. The downside is that despite its looks and music, it somehow lacks charm the more you play it, which is weird.

This new game... well, the name is probably the worst I've ever seen. Has something got lost in translation? ::shrug: Using AR cards could prove interesting. Wonder what they will do with em. Augmented Reality battles?

The 4HoL is no more a dungeon crawler than any other RPG out there.

There are RPGs that are all dungeon crawling and RPGs that have next to no dungeon crawling, so saying that it's no more a dungeon crawler than any other RPG doesn't really mean much. :p

What I meant was that it seems like a game that doesn't have much of a story and is all about its battle system and fighting monsters ad infinitum. Which I'd classify as a dungeon crawler.

That's just based on reviews/forum posts/videos, but it really doesn't seem like my game at all, so I doubt this will be, either.

Roll on Paper Mario, I guess.

This new game... well, the name is probably the worst I've ever seen. Has something got lost in translation? ::shrug:

More tamed then some other Final Fantasy names. Remember when Final Fantasy used to just be I II III IV V etc etc.... miss those days :(

Anyway this must be the 4 heroes of light sequel that the rumor was going on about. schweeet

A new IP.

Thank fuck for that!

Unfortunately not one from NINTENDO, but I always try to support new IPs in which effort has been put as much as I can.

Quite pleased with this :D

There are RPGs that are all dungeon crawling and RPGs that have next to no dungeon crawling, so saying that it's no more a dungeon crawler than any other RPG doesn't really mean much. :p

What I meant was that it seems like a game that doesn't have much of a story and is all about its battle system and fighting monsters ad infinitum. Which I'd classify as a dungeon crawler.

That's just based on reviews/forum posts/videos, but it really doesn't seem like my game at all, so I doubt this will be, either.

Roll on Paper Mario, I guess.

I knew when posting that that I should have qualified it. :heh: What I meant was that 4HoL is no more a dungeon crawler than any other JRPG out there, and more specifically, no more a dungeon crawler than any other (early) Final Fantasy game. I haven't played 4HoL to a finish but barring a massive final dungeon, everything in the first half/ two thirds was pretty bitesize - it has to be due to the inventory restrictions.

What the game does have is a steep difficulty curve. Its old skool in its approach in this respect. Also, its a job system type FF, so those are always more grindy. :) Story wise, its got a story, not a great one, but it has one! The characters aren't silent like the Four Warriors of Light in FF I and III but their personalities become less charming and more childish as the game wears on, I felt.

(Some 4HoL chatter should be ok as BD:FF seems like a spiritual sequel to it, right?)

More tamed then some other Final Fantasy names. Remember when Final Fantasy used to just be I II III IV V etc etc.... miss those days :(

You think this will end up being "Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light 2: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy"? Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate. :laughing:

the style reminds me of Final Fantasy 9....the last final fantasy i liked properly

so I'm pleasantly surprised by this

What I meant was that 4HoL is no more a dungeon crawler than any other JRPG out there, and more specifically, no more a dungeon crawler than any other (early) Final Fantasy game.

But the early Final Fantasies suck, so... You're not really making a good case for the game. :p

This isn't the kind of RPG I want from Square Enix. :sad:

Final Fantasy III was incredibly charming with a great job system. If this was anything like that, I'd be pleased.

But the early Final Fantasies suck, so... You're not really making a good case for the game. :p

On the contrary, early FFs (I-VI + IX) are the good ones.

That said, I haven't actually played 4HoL, but this game sounds much more interesting. I'll be keeping an eye.

I'm not really sure what you can learn from that video other than the main character walking like an absolute woman..

This is a God of a game!

Some damn fine craftsmanship, I'd say!

Reminds me of Muramasa's art style somewhat.

its reminding me of final fantasy 9 from that trailer and that can only be good as IX was one of the best ever final fantasys

This is just insane!

I rarely buy games at launch, but I think I´ll have to put this next to Paper Mario 3DS and Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise.

God, I love awesome art styles :D