NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

I paired Lissa with....I don't even remember. Probably with another character I never use just so I could get their child :p Same with Sully, married her to Henry but I will never use either in battle again.

I married Chrom to Maribel and Robin to Sumia.

Donnel is awesome, just got him as a lv 1 hero and is stats are amazing, (61/30/15/30/28/33/29/15) and with 19 levels to go.

Edited by Tales

EDIT: Chrom reached level 20 so I used a Master Seal to make him a Great Lord.

That's good to know to you can Master Seal him. I'd likely have left him alone expecting him to auto-promote as part of the story and purposely held off using him as I end up doing with other main characters.

Donnel is awesome, just got him as a lv 1 hero and is stats are amazing, (61/30/15/30/28/33/29/15) and with 19 levels to go.

There's a point - I could reclass Donnell and have him be my Axe user as an eventual Hero or on the Fighter promotion line. His growths are great with skill bonus but he's just a bit awkward to train with his low stats.

Also, what level did you reclass him at? I read some suggestions to change him straight away and others say wait until he learns UnderDog skill but surely any level not used in the Villager class is a missed level up opportunity overall, right?

Oh.... hmm, didn't even consider auto-promoting. I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that characters didn't get automatically promoted in this game.

I kinda had no choice though, he was level 20 and I didn't want him to steal exp from other units. My avatar has also just hit level 20...and I don't have a master seal. Do you recommend re-classing, captain?

I reclassed him at lv 16. You have a point. I was wondering why no one suggested to just level him to 30 as a villager. In the end I assumed the caps as a villager are low or since he has 40 levels more to get stats anyway he is likely to max all the important ones anyway. He capped everything but magic or resistance(and HP maybe) as a mercenary.

Oh.... hmm, didn't even consider auto-promoting. I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that characters didn't get automatically promoted in this game.

I kinda had no choice though, he was level 20 and I didn't want him to steal exp from other units. My avatar has also just hit level 20...and I don't have a master seal. Do you recommend re-classing, captain?

I kinda took it as read that Lords either auto-promote or just have a higher level cap. I probably would have looked it up at some point but at least I know now what to do about it.

Do you mean to re-class your avatar or just in general? Reclassing Donnel makes sense as explained above and below. He has great growths which get even better when he changes class and thus gets more level up opportunities anyway - it's whether you want to baby sit him through the first part. I understand you can reclass a promoted unit back to its own base type and effectively have unlimited growths but reclassing to other types allows you to get skills from other classes that a unit wouldn't otherwise get. It's certainly a powerful tool that every unit could make use of to some degree. I still need to do more research into the whole reclassing thing. I'd kind been avoiding most things to do with the game and now as I play it, I feel there are things I want/need to know and have to go looking for a little more information to help form an opinion.

I reclassed him at lv 16. You have a point. I was wondering why no one suggested to just level him to 30 as a villager. In the end I assumed the caps as a villager are low or since he has 40 levels more to get stats anyway he is likely to max all the important ones anyway. He capped everything but magic or resistance(and HP maybe) as a mercenary.

I guess if he's capped his meaningful stats anyway, there is zero point in keeping him tied to the villager class - that's the bit I was failing to grasp. 15 more level ups for the possibilty of a handful of magic points and resistance is a bad trade of xp in anyones book, especially for a none magic class.

Do you mean to re-class your avatar or just in general?

I meant my avatar (should be more specific next time) I had already planned to re-class donnel but I'm a bit unsure about my avatar. I've been looking around and most people point towards reclassing at lower levels so that you can gain all the skills you want.

I kinda took it as read that Lords either auto-promote or just have a higher level cap. I probably would have looked it up at some point but at least I know now what to do about it.

Do you mean to re-class your avatar or just in general? Reclassing Donnel makes sense as explained above and below. He has great growths which get even better when he changes class and thus gets more level up opportunities anyway - it's whether you want to baby sit him through the first part. I understand you can reclass a promoted unit back to its own base type and effectively have unlimited growths but reclassing to other types allows you to get skills from other classes that a unit wouldn't otherwise get. It's certainly a powerful tool that every unit could make use of to some degree. I still need to do more research into the whole reclassing thing. I'd kind been avoiding most things to do with the game and now as I play it, I feel there are things I want/need to know and have to go looking for a little more information to help form an opinion.

I guess if he's capped his meaningful stats anyway, there is zero point in keeping him tied to the villager class - that's the bit I was failing to grasp. 15 more level ups for the possibilty of a handful of magic points and resistance is a bad trade of xp in anyones book, especially for a none magic class.

Also the longer you leave Donnel as a villager, the more proficiency he gets in spear which is useless when he changes class. Best to do it sooner.

Hadn't considered reclassing Donnel. Level 15 is about the best time since that's when he learns his last skill.

Chrom hit level 20 so used a Master Seal. Got a load of other units approaching level 20 but only 2 Master Seals. Hmmm, decisions.

Edit: Yay, got Anna. She's awesome.

Edited by Ike

Hadn't considered reclassing Donnel. Level 15 is about the best time since that's when he learns his last skill.

I re-classed him at level 10 as I didn't want the underdog skill and his growth rate would be better as a mercenary/fighter as opposed to a villager.

I also re-classed my avatar into a mage so that I can promote him into a Dark Knight and get the Lifetaker skill.

Does reclassing reset them to level 1 or do they keep the same level?

Yup, like Tales said, they're back to level 1. Although your stats can actually decrease (most of mine did) but I think that's due to going from a magic-based class to a more physical class, therefore stuff like magic and resistance decrease whereas strength and defence increase.

Update on my relationships; Gaius & Cordelia are married. Damn, they are quite the team!

Yeah, it's because the base stats change.

Going to look more into reclassing, think I might make my Avatar into a Dark Mage > Dark Knight for Lifetaker as well. :P

Might make Vaike a Barbarian as well.

Just trained Donnel upto lvl 15 and changed him to a Merc....he's actually really quite strong now, i think he could end up a beast!

What does Lifetaker do again?

"User recovers 50% HP after they defeat an enemy during the user's Turn"

Out of interest, those of you who've already promoted Chrom, what chapter number were you on?

I'm on chapter 9 right now but he's only ~level 14-15 right now as are Sully, Stahl, Lon qu, Virion, Avatar, Lyssa, Sumia and Gaius. Kellam is a little lower, as is Vaike, and Ricken a bit lower still. I tried taking Donnel into some Risen fights but he was just way to weak even when paired up to get much benefit out of it so I did the Champions of Yore I where the enemy is a bit more reasonable - plus they always go for the ally units first so you can use them as bait. He's a level 8 villager now but I'm not sure it's worth holding out for Underdog. +15 on hit/avoid is a nice little bonus but by the time he gets to level 15 for it, I'd imagine his stats will be good enough to not need the further boost anyway. I'm less bothered about the weapon xp as even though Lance goes to waste regardless of what you swap him to, a bronze sword doesn't do much less than an iron one and if his attack is good enough then it's not an issue early on.

Edited by Captain Falcon

End of chapter 9. Lissa is level 19. Avatar is about 17? Got a few others around level 15 as well.

End of chapter 9. Lissa is level 19. Avatar is about 17? Got a few others around level 15 as well.

Right. I've tried to keep all my units as level as possible instead of letting any single character hog it all though Chrom and Avatar did start off taking a lot of the glory and Lissa naturally gets a lot due to the need to heal but that's ok. I was just wondering if I'd somehow missed a boat load of xp that has seen all you guys promote a bunch of units.

After Chapter 8 Chrom was level 20 so I promoted him before I started Chapter 9. Your characters were more balanced than mine. I just finished Chapter 9 recently and by that time Chrom, Avatar, Lon'qu, Stahl & Lissa were all level 18 or above whereas the others were around 10. I just finished doing some grinding with risen enemies on the world map and I'm slowly but surely bringing everyone up.

After Chapter 8 Chrom was level 20 so I promoted him before I started Chapter 9. Your characters were more balanced than mine. I just finished Chapter 9 recently and by that time Chrom, Avatar, Lon'qu, Stahl & Lissa were all level 18 or above whereas the others were around 10. I just finished doing some grinding with risen enemies on the world map and I'm slowly but surely bringing everyone up.

Ah right, just sounds like a distribution difference then. Chrom is such a bad ass that in some ways, I don't feel he even needs the xp right now - same goes for my Stahl. I also let him hold the soothing sword so he can heal for free when not attacking - then I switch back to Falchion so I don't use it up.

Chrom is such a bad ass that in some ways, I don't feel he even needs the xp right now - same goes for my Stahl.

I hear ya, I remember one of the earlier chapters I had Chrom lead the front and it got to a point where some characters had to pull back and replenish their HP that it left Chrom all on his lonesome. Didn't bother him though, he just did an Ephraim and ripped all the remaining enemy units apart without moving from the spot. That's when the gulf began.

Unfortunately for me, I never had that with Stahl, I almost had to baby him like Donnel (up until level 14-15), but now he's a very dependable unit.

I hear ya, I remember one of the earlier chapters I had Chrom lead the front and it got to a point where some characters had to pull back and replenish their HP that it left Chrom all on his lonesome. Didn't bother him though, he just did an Ephraim and ripped all the remaining enemy units apart without moving from the spot. That's when the gulf began.

Unfortunately for me, I never had that with Stahl, I almost had to baby him like Donnel (up until level 14-15), but now he's a very dependable unit.

That sounds like my first couple of chapters and after I dropped Chrom, and Avatar, for Risen encounters to spread the experience around.

And that right there is why FE is such a personal experience. Even though they both share the same growth stats on your version and mine, your Stahl has taken a lot of work whereas mine has shone peerlessly amongst my troops from the beginning - even better than Chrom.

I might duck out of Chapter 9 and do a run of the DLC map again to see if I can get a few more levels out of Donnel and swap his class. Not that she needs it but it also provides a load of exp too for Lissa since she ends up burning through a chuck of her heal staff - got forced into using my physic staff last time and had to buy a new one for emergencies.

my stahl is appauling, ive reset loads using him, he seems to have no hope even at lvl 12

has anyone reclassed Lissa?