NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

If they do delay it, there'll be a 1 man seize of NoE HQ.

Make it 2.

9/10 edge score ,

I really wish they would make a new advanced wars over fire emblem tho

with all the shit going on i cant see that happening for some time

Pre orderd from game for the free art book, i wish the limited console had a real copy instead of the download :(

This is out this week :D Who is getting it then????

Looking forward to the DLC, have put this on the back burner since getting Luigi's Mansion 2 but will be good to get back into it again with some new missions! :)

Oh shit its this week? oh man i have such a back log as it is!

I was tempted to cancel my shopto order and preorder it from game for the art book, but its not worth the extra cost for an art book i'll look at once

I'll probably have to wait until next week when I have some more money but I expect I'll get a copy. The demo convinced me.

I'm getting it, even though I have way too many games to play; but I have a lot of travelling this year so my 3DS will be getting some serious gaming in. Good job with Animal Crossing coming out!

If there aren't any problems from GAME's side of things I'll be set to play this on Friday.

Cubed3 Review:

"Imagine if any other big franchise took absolutely all the best elements from its previous instalments, bundled them together, and - as if that wasn't enough - threw plenty of even more excellent ideas into the mix for good measure! Well, if your mind already set itself to work on finding a single example of this in recent memory, look no further...Fire Emblem: Awakening - the prime example of this! Additionally, it nails everything even harder by making it the most accessible title yet for newcomers. There is only one regretful matter...Nintendo and Intelligent Systems set the bar so high with this latest version that it may be hard to top it in the future!"

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1257/1/fire-emblem-awakening-nintendo-3ds.html

Edited by -Dem0-

Hmmm, started off as a huge negative... Characters die and then are still in story cut scenes? Sounds AWFULLY CLUMSY!!! You play the game constantly restarting to save characters?!? I don't want to. If you're going to do this why not just play it with perma death off?!?! I like the idea of characters dieing and this being awful news!!!!

Still looking forward to it, but weirdly, that perfectly scored review put me off more than anything (admittedly I stopped reading ofter this section :) )

Hmmm, started off as a huge negative... Characters die and then are still in story cut scenes? Sounds AWFULLY CLUMSY!!!

Important story characters don't die, they just get wounded to the point they can't fight anymore. Most characters do actually die though.

You play the game constantly restarting to save characters?!? I don't want to. If you're going to do this why not just play it with perma death off?!?! I like the idea of characters dieing and this being awful news!!!!

I don't know how to process this.

Well you won't have to restart at all really. If you really want to get through a chapter without losing any of your units then you're just going to have to take that much longer in planning out your strategy. I usually don't restart that many times but instead I spend a considerable amount of time on each of my turns making sure that I've taken all factors into consideration prior to moving a single unit. Better planning > less deaths, although there's still luck in the equation too.

Important story characters don't die, they just get wounded to the point they can't fight anymore. Most characters do actually die though.

I don't know how to process this.

I just think I have an issue that characters that do die, actually still turn up in cut scenes. Sounds a bit stupid to me.

And what don't you understand about my second bit? I like the idea of perma death and the weight given to characters dieing; but this guy says you will be restarting all the time, which defeats the point.

So if you don't want characters to die all the time, why not just use this setting? Does this setting have any other disadvantages?!

Basiclaly, I've never played a fire emblem before and I don't know what to do when I get it. Which setting to use, what about restating etc etc.

Basiclaly, I've never played a fire emblem before and I don't know what to do when I get it.

I say play with the perma-death off. Complete the game then see how you did. On your second playthrough switch it back on :)

I just think I have an issue that characters that do die, actually still turn up in cut scenes. Sounds a bit stupid to me.

And what don't you understand about my second bit? I like the idea of perma death and the weight given to characters dieing; but this guy says you will be restarting all the time, which defeats the point.

So if you don't want characters to die all the time, why not just use this setting? Does this setting have any other disadvantages?!

Basiclaly, I've never played a fire emblem before and I don't know what to do when I get it. Which setting to use, what about restating etc etc.

Haha, sorry, long day at work. Couldn't quite make out what you were saying was awful, the review or the perma death thing. You said you like perma death but don't want to restart all the time?

Like I said, important characters don't die, they just can't battle. Not every character will appear in cut scenes.

There's casual mode where if your character dies they will return in the next chapter. This was added to help people get into the series and make the game bit more accessible.

Classic mode they die forever unless you restart which is how the series has always played in the past which is probably how most people want to play who are familiar with the series.

Having a character die can be disadvantages for a number of reason (only one of that class, you need them to recruit someone else, supports or they are just strong or your attached to them) so obviously you would need to restart is your playing classic.

The only other thing I think the different effect is allowing you to save mid-chapter which you usually can't (you can suspend save though).

Choosing between casual/classic is independent to your difficulty level so you can choose classic/easy or casual/hard if you want.

Edited by Ike

Like it has been said, only story-important characters still appear in cutscenes. We're not talking about CGI stuff, here, just scenes where they're talking (and even then, depending on the game, they might even remove some of those if they're "dead")

These characters are few in number, though. I'm talking about guys like Marth's mentor, Roy's advisor and Ike's sister. People who would drastically change the main plot or an important character's characterization if they honest-to-god died.

I didn't read the Eurogamer review, but here's what a lot of FE fans do: whenever anybody dies, we retry the chapter, to see if we can complete it without anybody dying. It's entirely possible the reviewer meant he, like so many players, was going to do it by choice, as the game doesn't actually force the player to restart the chapter whenever someone dies.

The exception is the main character, Chrom. If he dies, you get a game over, and are forced to restart the chapter. I'm not sure, but this might also apply to the player character you create at the beginning of the game, since he counts as a co-main character.

Do whatever you like. If the permadeath thing sounds intriguing for you, then hell yeah, play that one. It's the traditional FE way, and one of its trademarks.

Regarding restarting chapters, do whatever you like. If you want to restart because you don't want to lose that one guy who died, do it. If you want to leave dead characters dead, do it. There's no wrong way to play Fire Emblem.

@Jonnas is correct, if your Avatar character dies, it is game over too. And as someone who has played the game, there is a core set of about five characters (out of around thirty) who will not perma-die as they are essential to the story.

I was new to Fire Emblem and played through on the newcomer mode as I feared missing out on important story elements, although as it turns out, I wouldn't have missed a lot, apart from the brilliant support conversations you unlock from making your units work together.

I have then started a second playthrough on newcomer, as I missed out on a couple of recruitable characters and wanted to try marrying different characters with each other and unlock all the possible support conversations. Then I have a third file where I am playing through the traditional hardcore way.

I might try doing it with no restarts in the future, but I probably won't ever have time for that, with all the downloadable missions that are coming!

I say play with the perma-death off. Complete the game then see how you did. On your second playthrough switch it back on :)

I really doubt ill play through it twice :)

I like the idea of permanent death, but not if restart, kind of defeats the point. If you're just going to restart, why not just play with perma death off?

I really doubt ill play through it twice :)

I like the idea of permanent death, but not if restart, kind of defeats the point. If you're just going to restart, why not just play with perma death off?

Cuz' this is the first time that FE has a Casual Mode :heh:

In all seriousness, the permadeath thing encourages you to be good with your army, and strategize properly. You know, avoid the "hit, hit, hit" mentality that plagues other games of the genre. Whether you choose to restart or not, it provides a good challenge.

(Also, you may be naysaying the choice of restarting a chapter, but I think that you'll choose to do it at least once. Or at least be very tempted to do so)

In all seriousness, the permadeath thing encourages you to be good with your army, and strategize properly. You know, avoid the "hit, hit, hit" mentality that plagues other games of the genre. Whether you choose to restart or not, it provides a good challenge.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cuz' this is the first time that FE has a Casual Mode :heh:

(Also, you may be naysaying the choice of restarting a chapter, but I think that you'll choose to do it at least once. Or at least be very tempted to do so)

Oh I have no doubt I'll be restarting :) But I guess my problem is if I don't have to, then why bother? Also, I'm not a HUGE fan of replaying the same level over and over; BUT then I've never played a Fire Emblem game :) It's meant to be incredible, I've preordered, I'm sure I'll love it; just this aspect of the mechanic I can't quite figure out how I feel about it.