NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

Don't buy the DLC then. Just because you don't find this an appropriate spin-off for Fire Emblem doesn't actually mean there's a good reason to censor it (or not do it in the first place).

I'm not disputing the bolded part. IS made the game they way they made it and it should be delivered to us as they intended. I'm not advocating censorship here.

It's the bit at the end, about not doing it in the first place. Three of the words I associate with FE are taste, dignity, and subtlety... and that image (either of them) isn't any of them. You can be provocactive without selling out but that's what it feels like they've done.

Edit: Post removed, no need for comments like that.

Edited by Ike

Post removed

A couple more posts like that and I can imagine it, along with the other, will be wrapped around your neck a little tighter than considered ideal... at least ideal from your perspective anyway.

Edited by Ike
Removed quoted text

Sorry, I edited the post to remove the inappropriate language.

My god, I've never wanted to know what a post said more...

Finally got around to starting Fire Emblem this weekend. Im really enjoying it so far but the one thing I hate is the feet (or lack thereof) on the character models.

Good to see another person enjoying this great game. Me personally, the feet/ankle thing don't bother me in the least but there was an actual reason why they didn't put them in (properly).

EDIT: Here it is:

8-4: Speaking of doing something different, we have to ask a question a lot of the fans are wondering — what happened with the feet? (laughs)

Kusakihara: (Laughs) Well, they're there...they're just...omitted a little bit. The idea was to add a unique sort of deformation to the characters. As for why it ended up like this... At the start of the project, we weren't entirely sure how many bones and joints we'd be able to use in each character model. As it is now, there's a joint at the knees, and then there's nothing below that for the ankles and the feet. This makes it a bit easier to apply animation to models as well. We found out afterward that, with the 3DS, we had more than enough CPU strength available to flesh out the models a bit, add real ankles and so on. We were like "Well, if there's a next time, maybe there'll be more ankles..." (laughs)

We thought we could make it something that would work well with the characters, but now I'm not so sure. (laughs) So it's hard to give a real reason for it, but...well, I think it's kind of cute, though! (laughs) Isn't it? They look like they're wearing high heels. Aren't high heels the big fashion these days?

8-4: Did you get any feedback about this from Japanese players as well?

Kusakihara: Yeah, some people focused on the feet a lot. (laughs) I think if this was a game that involved people kicking and such, we would have put in real ankles. Instead, you're using handheld weapons for the most part, so we figured we could sort of omit some of the detail down there...

Yokota: We did get feedback about that in the playtesting sessions, but by that point it was like "Well, we can't do much about that now." (laughs)

Kusakihara: A lot of people seemed really preoccupied with the feet... Ah, well. (laughs)

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

Edited by -Dem0-

Everyone looks peg-legged. There's so much detail in the character models, and then... no feet. Though I do find it funny that they thought the 3DS wasn't powerful enough to handle feet on the characters. :p

I think I've decided to hold off on getting Fire Emblem: Awakening until I can think of the game without imagining Grazza's orgasm face. Plus, the free DLC doesn't seem worth spending what little money I have right now on the game when I could buy Persona 4 Arena instead, which I would actually get around to playing sooner.

I'll definitely get it at some point, but the peg-legged people will have to wait!

Okay, started playing it, loving it!! :) Don't like the way my characters die and they say they are retreating, never to be seen again, let them die dammit!!!!

A few things I'm slowly figuring out.

Okay, so I think you can only have weapons at the level you are at, so if you have D on swords you can only use D level swords?!

With this in mind is it worth forging them or waiting til you are better so you don't waste money forging?

On the battle field what is the C above sone players when you go to move?

Pairing up. I don't quite get the point of this. It seems to wipe out having two units and only slightly improves one of them... Any help with this?

Can you learn new weapons with characters?!

It makes my absolutely crave an advance wars game!

Okay, so I think you can only have weapons at the level you are at, so if you have D on swords you can only use D level swords?!

With this in mind is it worth forging them or waiting til you are better so you don't waste money forging?

On the battle field what is the C above sone players when you go to move?

Pairing up. I don't quite get the point of this. It seems to wipe out having two units and only slightly improves one of them... Any help with this?

It makes my absolutely crave an advance wars game!

On your first point, you're correct. You can only use weapons that are less than or equal to that units weapon proficiency. Like you said if you're character is at a 'D' with swords they can only use D & E grade swords.

On your second point, the letter above some characters shows the current relationship level between the unit you are about to move and the unit that has the letter above their head.

You raise the support level between characters by fighting and talking together. Here are some ways this can happen:

• Fight together with a teammate (next to eachother on a tile or paired up) and damage/defeat the opponent.
  • Talk in the barracks
  • Pair up on the event tile (shiny/glittery tile on a map).
  • Heal a teammate.
  • Dance with a teammate.

After building up enough support, a special conversation becomes available between the two units outside of a battle. This allows you to increase the support level between both units via a conversation. There are four support levels; C, B, A & S. Characters can have an unlimited number of support relationships up to 'A', but only one 'S' support with a unit of the other gender. Once two units reach the 'S' support relationship they are married and will have the opportunity to have/recruit children.

On your third point, pairing up is actually a fantastic feature of this game. Not only does it help in building up support relationships between units (it's the fastest way to do this), it's also a great way to level up weaker characters. At first the slight stat improvements aren't much but they will get much better as the relationship between those units improve.

Finally, units can't 'learn' new weapons unless they change to another class that uses a different type of weapon. This can be done by promoting (Master Seal) or reclassing (Second Seal) a unit.

Okay, that's all fab :) Bloody hell it's a little indepth, I guess the more you play the more you figure out the details. Bit like MOnster Hunter. I just don't want to to miss anything out, but play helps I presume. I'll just do as much fighting random fights that pop up to level up. I tried fighting some of the teams you can download from other games, yeah, that was a bad idea!

Just to elaborate on a few things...

I haven't forged anything yet, mainly because weapons break and I don't want to waste the forging on them. I might when I get an A- or S-rank weapon though.

If it helps, Pairing up replaces "Rescue" from previous games, which you'd typically do if someone's HP dropped lower than you expected (actually, "Pair Up" = "Be Rescued"). The character who is being carried/protected is totally invincible whilst the other character is standing.

Another reason is that you can have a character with a long-range attack (eg. mage or archer) ride on the back of a character with only a short-range attack. This way, if someone attacks you from a distance, you do still have some chance of fighting back, especially if they have a good rapport.

A third reason, as -Dem0- says, is to level-up weak characters. Let's say you have a Lvl 1 character being protected by a Lvl 10 character. You can let enemies attack you until they have only a few HP left. When you think the coast is clear, you can select "Switch" and let the weak character defeat them and get most of the EXP.

Another complication this adds that wasn't in previous games is being demoted to a completely different rank. In the GBA games, for instance, you might have a spear-user who can uses axes and swords as well once they get promoted to an advanced rank (eg. Knight to General). This image from one of the GBA games might help explain how it works, only in the 3DS title you can actually change/go back to the lower ranks: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921183-fire-emblem-the-sacred-stones/faqs/33030

It is very in-depth, but thankfully accessible too.

Forging is good for weak stuff like javelins, as well as for cheap to upgrade E rank weapons when you switch class or when you're trying to level up a low level character on a decent EXP map.

Once two units reach the 'S' support relationship they are married and will have the opportunity to have/recruit children.

You can recruit children? Remember when I complained about the lack of gay characters and you said it's because only straight people can have children?

Well, nobody recruits children like homosexuals. ;)

Another reason is that you can have a character with a long-range attack (eg. mage or archer) ride on the back of a character with only a short-range attack. This way, if someone attacks you from a distance, you do still have some chance of fighting back, especially if they have a good rapport.

Actually that isn't true. The paired up unit can only attack if the lead unit can hit the enemy with their currently equiped item - the partner unit will then ignore weapon ranges for their attack. If the lead unit is out of their attack range but gets attacked, the paired up unit cannot activate a dual strike. All they can do is activate the much less likely Dual Guard.

I'm up to chapter 18 now. The gulf in difficulty between the main campaign and Side Story is quite remarkable. That said, most of the times I've been caught out have been down to how reinforcements are handled on Hard - i.e. they arrive and can move on the same turn which can leave you totally exposed without any warning. I had one attempt at SS11 and I was quickly overwhelmed. I'm not sure if the bigger fault lay in my strategy or just my units strength in that not even the best tactics could have meant everyone made it through in one piece.

And @\-Dem0\-, I take back what I aid about Gaius not being powerful - providing he doesn't get hit, he's a killing machine. Since I have him partnered with Cherche, it propels his great attack even higher and makes him a bit more durable too.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Well, nobody recruits children like homosexuals. ;)

Who knows. Maybe in the next game, Magnus.

Speaking about children. Like Sheikah said before, they are GOOD!

Lucina has already surpassed Chrom, even though they're 10 levels apart. The character that's surprising me even more than Lucina is her little sister, Cynthia. What a beast. Her overall stats fall 10-15 short of Chrom I believe, and she's not even been promoted yet!

Kjelle hasn't been as OP as them but she's impressive nonetheless.

It certainly is fun finding these children and adding them to your ever increasing group.

By the way, I've still got Lissa on her own. Don't know who to marry her to, she's got an A rank relationship with Ricken but I don't want to go down that route.

Advice?

By the way, I've still got Lissa on her own. Don't know who to marry her to, she's got an A rank relationship with Ricken but I don't want to go down that route.

Advice?

It depends on what skills you Ricken has, and what you want to use their child for really. Parents pass on both skills and their growth rates and so together they make for a good magic user child or help to pull up magic/resistance stats for those who use them on the side. Their parents also determine what units the child can reclass to.

Their child use

swords

as their form of attack. So you have to decide how the above info fits into that in terms of how the unit will be attacking and what you want them to do.

Ultimately, parentage will always be about getting skills onto units that can't reclass into others to get them. Stats can be always be buffed/improved by reclassing over and over until a unit is powerful for whatever you want it to do.

I have them together but that's because I felt with them being similar ages that it made more sense for them to be together than sticking them with someone of a completely different age.

I'm spending far too much time getting all characters that can have children with the right skills before birth so to speak, trying to get galeforce on everyone has been a pain, and i've only just realised i could make the game too easy, as Severa and Lucina are so overpowered even after just getting them!

Some characters also are just terrible on my game, Mariabelle and that guy thats ignored all the time(ironically since i've just forgotten his name) are just useless really, even after grinding with them on the DLC exp map.....Kellum! i remembered! he is terrible for a knight, low HP and weak attack, even after taking him down the thief line to get all the movement bonus' i'm not impressed, i was tempted to reclass him ass assassin to get lethality and then finaly go general so i'd have a max range all terrain general who could actually kill, but he's so poor i may just bench him not, random stats and random stat gains at levels have made my Stahl and Kellum the rejects of the bunch, even Mariabelle who's crap is better by leagues than them.

any suggestions on skill progression of a few characters? and Marriages? particularly for passing on skills to children?

I have Panne, Gregor, Ricken, Mariabelle, Henry, Olivia and Anna not paired up/married or Trained to advance calsses?

Advice?

Still need to marry her on mine. Was going to go with Lon'que at first but then was considered Vaike, no one else seems suitable for her.

I'm spending far too much time getting all characters that can have children with the right skills before birth so to speak, trying to get galeforce on everyone has been a pain, and i've only just realised i could make the game too easy, as Severa and Lucina are so overpowered even after just getting them!

Some characters also are just terrible on my game, Mariabelle and that guy thats ignored all the time(ironically since i've just forgotten his name) are just useless really, even after grinding with them on the DLC exp map.....Kellum! i remembered! he is terrible for a knight, low HP and weak attack, even after taking him down the thief line to get all the movement bonus' i'm not impressed, i was tempted to reclass him ass assassin to get lethality and then finaly go general so i'd have a max range all terrain general who could actually kill, but he's so poor i may just bench him not, random stats and random stat gains at levels have made my Stahl and Kellum the rejects of the bunch, even Mariabelle who's crap is better by leagues than them.

Kellum was pretty bad on mine until I promoted him to General, give him a Killer Lance or a Silver Lance if you can, maybe forge a weapon he's more suited to, but now he's my wall. Going Assassin sounds like a good idea for the skills, wish I did that but I can always class swap him later.

Haven't even played the paralogues to get the kids yet (Have Nowi&Donnel and Virion&Sully's mission) until I get the correct skills. Need to start using Sully again as I accidentally ended up benching her.

Donnel has started maxing his stats in the Merc class, going to have to promote him soon. He's extremely strong and he's still using a Bronze Sword!

Chrom was overpowered and they go and give you another one! Think she still inherits stats from her parents so that'll be why she's so strong. Mine also inherited Aether from Chrom so she didn't even have to be a Great Lord to get that skill. Sadly she inherited Rally Movement from Sumia, wanted Galeforce on her but Sumia wasn't high enough level. Already promoted her to Great Lord, not sure if I can change to Dark Flier from that class or if I have to go back down to Pegasus.

Still need to marry her on mine. Was going to go with Lon'que at first but then was considered Vaike, no one else seems suitable for her.

Already went with Ricken by then, didn't really have an option either. Thanks though.

This weeks Download Content.

Bonus Team: Radiant Dawn

Bonus Item: Luna

Outrealm Gate

Champions of Yore 3

I'm hitting the point whereby I starting to reclass some units to get some extra skills and I've started with Gaius. Once he learned Pass, I changed him to a Myrmidon so he could learn Avoid+10 and more importantly, Vantage. Then I promoted him to Swordmaster so he also has Astra now as well and am working toward Swordfaire for those enemies who can't take the hint.

About the bonus teams...

Last week, on the Thursday, there was only one Path of Radiance team in my Bonus Team list but now there are two and yet I'm fairly sure I haven't connected to the internet since the last update so I can't have downloaded them - they had to already have been there waiting to become available.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edited by Captain Falcon

Got to Mission 17 and did my first soft reset. I lost the swordsman who is a bodygaurd for one of the Khans he is my fave character so I couldn't lose him :(

Does DLC help you level up? I have hit a point where no more side quests seem to appear apart from one on an island I can't get to. I wouldn't mind giving some relationships a boost and helping my team along a bit, would DLC be a good thing to get?

Last week, on the Thursday, there was only one Path of Radiance team in my Bonus Team list but now there are two and yet I'm fairly sure I haven't connected to the internet since the last update so I can't have downloaded them - they had to already have been there waiting to become available.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Strange. I've been connected to the internet most of the time. Either on standby or while I'm actually playing but I've never had to actually 'Download' the Bonus Teams. I think you get another team everyday so long as you're connected online.

Perhaps you've passed some available wi-fi access points that you were unaware of?

So far I've got 10 teams from Fire Emblem, Sacred Stones & Path of Radiance and only the 1 team from todays Radiant Dawn.

Does DLC help you level up? I have hit a point where no more side quests seem to appear apart from one on an island I can't get to. I wouldn't mind giving some relationships a boost and helping my team along a bit, would DLC be a good thing to get?

The paid DLC are just extra maps. Some are just for bringing back past heroes and some have specific purposes such as providing a lot of exp, money, weapons or event tiles for helping with support conversations, extra skills and even new classes.

The first four side quests appear as you progress through the story. The next lot appear as you form relationships with characters and have them married. Each Side story then presenting an opportunity to recruit their children. The other set of Side Story quests can only be accessed from the second to last chapter onwards. These side quests are recieved via SpotPass and I suspect that is the one you are referring to as as being unable to reach - the orange marker East of (or Eastern) Plegia, (or Grust in old money) and South of the Mercenary Fort. These allow you to recruit story characters who weren't available before for whatever reason.

The right DLC will certainly help you with your task and generally help to speed up a lot of the processes you have to go through but it isn't required.

Edited by Captain Falcon