NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

I finally found a copy!!!!! In best buy! I was already to give up, more than one eb games told me they had no idea when it was due back in and that they were stocking FE download vouchers in way larger quantities. Which was further convincing me that was stealth attempt to push us towards digital. Anyway found a copy...I did consider making myself some money and picking up more copies but there are tons on eBay unsold at $60-$80.

Wait, there's Fire Emblem download codes available?

Thought they had sorted the shipment issue by now? Guess not.

Wait, there's Fire Emblem download codes available?

Thought they had sorted the shipment issue by now? Guess not.

Well they may have done in the US but they certainly haven't in Canada (technically a separate stocking issue as the boxes also have to have French on them due to Quebec and it being a second language). So yeah I must have checked 20-25 stores constantly since release date and never found anything. Until yesterday...still the only store to have them in and it was 5 copies. So hopefully it is behind us and unique to this title to it's relatively niche what with Luigi's Mansion just round the corner (incidentally they had tons of copies of Castlevania so it doesn't seem a general issue)

The producer of the game sent a swap note message out to say there are more DLC plans coming. Nice little touch not sure if this is something other games do.

Been playing this all day today, got the review copy :) My first real Fire Emblem experience, apart from a bit of Sacred Stones from the 3DS Ambassador thing. Really is quite addictive, seven hours in. I've started off on casual mode, as I don't want to miss out on any story that may be missed by my characters dying, but will be sure to start a file on classic mode and face the consequences!

Look out for our review once I've completed the game!

Psh! When you lose a character, you restart, like a true FE fan!

On a more serious note, the norm really is to restart chapters when you lose a character. Facing the consequences is considered an unusual run. If you do one, I wish you the best of luck.

Been playing this all day today, got the review copy :) My first real Fire Emblem experience, apart from a bit of Sacred Stones from the 3DS Ambassador thing. Really is quite addictive, seven hours in. I've started off on casual mode, as I don't want to miss out on any story that may be missed by my characters dying, but will be sure to start a file on classic mode and face the consequences!

Look out for our review once I've completed the game!

Woah! Already!?

Dahym. They're not wasting any time on this one! Just gotta give MHFU, Harmoknight, LM2 and Devilish BT some breathing room I guess...

This is going to take up a lot of his time... but I'm sure he'll enjoy every moment of it!

Luckily I won't be occupied with Monster Hunter, so can give my full attention to it!

@Jonnas, yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. It's very easy to get attached to the characters! There's so many already in my roster that I haven't used at all, got a core set who I'm working on building up the relationships between.

I think I've missed out on recruiting one so far due to them dying in battle before I got a chance to talk to them.

EU demo next week!

Fire Emblem: Awakening is coming on 19/4 but the demo will be on Nintendo #3DS eShop from 28/3

So I completed the main story of this yesterday and all I can say is look forward to my review which has been written and will be coming your way soon :)

My only regret is that I missed out on two recruitable characters - the newcomer mode does not save them from death before you get to them! I was stupid enough to not realise this until later in the game. Part of me doesn't care as I have plenty of characters to keep me busy and the perfectionist inside me is really pissed off, will make sure I get them in my second file! This game has way too much to do as it is, let alone wanting to manage two separate files!

Any questions you may have I'd be happy to try and answer :)

Yeah really awesome game, ton of content I've been working my way through it slowly but surely when I'm on the road.

Of course, only get 10 plays though. Digital version confirmed to be £39.99. Not played it yet due to playing Harmoknight.

I downloaded this before - knowing nothing about the series or game at all.

A lovely intro cut scene, some spoken exchanges with other characters, picking your guys special abilities (all good) and then it threw me into some sort of battleship scenario asking me to choose squares for people?! The fuck?!

Is this what the whole game is about / like?! Was not feeling it at all unfortunately. :shakehead

then it threw me into some sort of battleship scenario asking me to choose squares for people?! The fuck?!

Is this what the whole game is about / like?! Was not feeling it at all unfortunately. :shakehead

Good thing this was a demo :P

But yeah, pretty much. At its core Fire Emblem is a Tactical RPG. You control a group of characters taking turns to maneuver your soldiers across a grid like map with the sole purpose of defeating the enemy units which can be done in a number of ways (based on the chapter objectives) i.e. Defeating the map boss, survive a certain number of turns or seizing the base.

Even though this may look very simplistic at first, it's amazingly deep.

Through combat your units (characters) gain EXP points, for every hundred they amass, you gain a level. When units reach a certain level a special item can be used that will 'promote' your unit into a more powerful class. Before engaging with the enemy unit you should take a look at what weapon types they're wielding as each weapon has an advantage over the other. Lance beats Sword, Sword beats Axe & Axe beats Lance.

However, in combat if your unit is killed, they're done for you can't get them back this is known as permadeath (aka permanent death, but if you want to you can turn this off in Awakening). So in itself, leveling up your units, especially the weaker ones will bring a huge sense of satisfaction and not only that, the more units you can keep alive the better. Eventually you will reach a point where you can't have more than a certain number of characters per map/chapter e.g. "Select 11 units for this stage". This is where having more units comes into play, as the more units you have at your disposal the better. You can look at the map and decide which units would work best e.g. battling on a mountain-range, chose a pegasis knight. If you're fighting on a map with a lot of water, pick a pirate.

There's a lot more to Fire Emblem that I could keep talking about such as "Character Support", but its better to grasp the basics first.

Btw, I haven't played the demo but did you finish the battle? Did the game give you a tutorial?

Edited by -Dem0-

I downloaded this before - knowing nothing about the series or game at all.

A lovely intro cut scene, some spoken exchanges with other characters, picking your guys special abilities (all good) and then it threw me into some sort of battleship scenario asking me to choose squares for people?! The fuck?!

Yeah, it's the Strategy RPG genre. Like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. Or even Advance Wars, except that one's not an RPG.

It's what the series is about, really:

tumblr_mijt0n9ubv1s31qv2o1_400.jpg

fire-emblem-radiant-dawn--20071102020851742.jpg

This Fire Emblem has hooked me in a way that no other RPG other than Pokémon really has before - it's got me obsessed with training my team and "evolving" them! Grinding in other RPGs bored me, but because there is an element of strategy to it, every battle is different, it isn't just battling enemies over and over again.

And because of the support system and how important it is in this game, it really rewards you for making your team work together, and you are rewarded by great little support conversations as well as improved performance in battle.

And the fact that everybody's teams will be different - once you all have it we will be able to discuss all sorts of things like who should marry who, what's your ideal team, etc. It's so customisable and a lot of fun. It's a rewarding game because you can play it how you want to play it - I have about 30 characters in my squad, you only ever use half of them at the most. They all have their own personalities and it's actually a pleasure to develop them, pair them up with others, and see their characters grow.

It may be a bit daunting and look boring - I hadn't played a Fire Emblem properly before, although I had played Advance Wars which is very similar, but it really is a lot of fun, very addictive once you get into it. I think the great characterisation actually makes the battle system better than if it was just nameless units - you start to really care about your characters and will do all you can to protect them and make them work together in battle.

I did have to play through it all to review whether I liked it or not, but I didn't just enjoy it, I loved it.

To be honest, as soon as I saw the map stuff with the squares and having to pick where to put people I just turned it off lol.

I have never felt games like that at all. RPG's to me are the worst kind of games. I understand this seems to be a lot more than that, but from what I saw I think I'd rather just play a normal RPG!

I guess we all have games we favour and this isn't one for me. I kind of feel bad as I haven't given it a proper chance at all, but I just know it's not for me.

I think secretly I was hoping it'd be Marth running around castles slaying enemies with a massive sword! :laughing:

I know this is probably slander talk to you guys who love the series so I apologise ha!

I know this is probably slander talk to you guys who love the series so I apologise ha!

Not in the least, no need to apologise either. Actually, a lot of people thought Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was a 3D FPS back at launch in 2011. They were just as shocked when they found a tactical RPG :confused:

Not in the least, no need to apologise either. Actually, a lot of people thought Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was a 3D FPS back at launch in 2011. They were just as shocked when they found a tactical RPG :confused:

I think I knew it was sort of RPG but I imagined it to be similar to the Final Fantasy (even Monster Hunter) style of games, with realistic graphics etc.

Wow - I knew Shadow Wars wasn't a FPS but I can kinda get why there could be some confusion!

I forgot all about this until Blade and Mokong started talking about it during last nights hunt, downloading the demo just now. I kinda liked Final Fantasy Tactics back on the Playstation and really got into the Super Robot Taisen games before Nintendo decided to region lock their portables <damn you guys!>, im hoping its similar to those. I forgot i actually got the SNES one as part of that ambassador thing so might play that after ive finished the demo to see how i feel.