NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Mario Tennis Open

Looks like this game is taking the Mario Kart 7 route as well: tight gameplay and multiplayer, ....and that's about it.

Looks like this game is taking the Mario Kart 7 route as well: tight gameplay and multiplayer, ....and that's about it.

Yeah, seems so. The Nintendo World Report review seems to corroborate this as well http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/30105

Mario Tennis Open is a lot of fun, there is no doubt about that, but the small amount of content in the game makes the experience lackluster. Still, while I saw most of what the game had to offer in four hours, I kept on playing. Despite the lack of content, the game of tennis Camelot has crafted is addictive and fun. It might not hold a candle to the handheld Mario Tennis games in the Game Boy lineage, but Mario Tennis Open is a still great game that is sadly hampered by a small feature set and harebrained online.

They also complain that the online feature set is fairly bare bones. No communities, just your basic DS style hop online and face friends/randoms with a standard ranking system.

Well, I'm not really deterred; I know what I'm getting into here. The core gameplay is no doubt solid and that's all I really need.

It's pretty annoying that Nintendo do this, when we know that they can add tons of content into a game when they try. You only have to look at Melee and Brawl to see that Nintendo has the potential to do it.

Still bitter. This should have been on the Wii.

Well, I'm not really deterred; I know what I'm getting into here. The core gameplay is no doubt solid and that's all I really need.

True, but it's still a slap in the face knowing what they could have done with it. The lack of communities is really bizarre. :hmm:

True, but it's still a slap in the face knowing what they could have done with it. The lack of communities is really bizarre. :hmm:

I agree. Big missed opportunity here.

Hopefully they're working on making communities work at an OS level (at least on Wii U), like it was originally intended to do.

With patching now in place, retrofitting that kind of support down the line should be possible.

I have this pre-ordered but with all this talk of it being a bit shallow it's making me wonder if I should cancel.

The video shown during Nintendo Direct mentioned that there were lots of unlockables (for the Mii character) but I haven't really heard much about it since.

"The Japanese site for Mario Tennis Open reveals some of what the various QR codes for the game will unlock, including codes to unlock multicolored Yoshis with different statistics. The site currently shows a blue Yoshi and six question-mark circles representing other characters.

There is also one QR code that will give players a Yoshi costume, enabling their Mii to run as fast as Yoshi.

There is also another QR code-locked feature that is left unrevealed in the official site, which is where the QR codes will be displayed when they are available.

Mario Tennis Open will support QR codes as well as many other functions of 3DS, such as StreetPass and online multiplayer modes, according to its official site."

current.png

none.png

Source.

Mario Tennis Website.

Any good pre order deals about for this? or freebies ?

@\-Dem0\- for the information posted. I don't seem to have a thanks button that I can press on the post.

Gamexplain Review

I'm not very interested in this at all, actually :hmm: In fact, I put Mario Tennis on earlier for N64 and despite really enjoying it when I was younger, I'm not even sure that I particularly like it all that much any more..

Hmm, the fact you can't turn any of that stuff off has swung it for me I think.

Real shame as this could have been so great, but I'll save the £30 for something else I think.

Oh fuck it, I'm cancelling. I actually think the game looks utter shit. That video, the chance shots, the bend on them, just looks like crap. I though it was meant to be more like Mario Tennis, which was more realistic?! This looks utterly realistic and I fucking hate it telling you where to hit it and what shot with, just ridiculous idea!

*Huge SIGH*

:mad:

I'm really gutted about this. I haven't played my 3ds for a while now and was so excited about getting this game.

I loved the original Mario Tennis and even had fun with the games after that.

This is shit. The fact you can't turn off those stupid shots is plain ridiculous. What gain is to be had from leaving them on all the time?

What annoys me is that some of the courts and mini games look really really good. Brilliant Mario designs that would look great in 3d and they've ruined it by overlooking the main thing. Playability. And this looks to have none.

Why do they have to fantasise about these stupid crazy shots all the time?

What's wrong with having a meter that builds with long rallies and 'max' serves so then the player can decide if and when to play a rally ending shot?

Rather that than have a ball do an 'S' shape every time it's hit.

Really pissed off - but thankful that vid was posted as think I may give this one a miss now too. :weep:

I just hope when people get the game it gets a good response; but I want to play tennis, not run to a designated spot the computer advises and press the button it wants. I want to choose exactly the best tennis match to play; yeah you don't have to listen to the computer but why fight the best solution. I just can't believe how back minded Nintendo can be some times.

As that video says though, if you ignore the gameplay mechanic, you'll only end up loosing because the AI or someone over the internet will play those shots.

So like it says, your effectively forced into playing that way/run to the next target. Utter Rubbish.

Edited by Retro_Link

Those Chance Shots that show you exactly where the ball is going to land are beyond annoying. Very close to cancelling my pre-order now as that seems like it'll drain the enjoyment out of the game.

I haven't watched that review but judging by everyones reactions and what I've already read about the game, I think I'll give it a miss too! :blank:

Talk about being on the 'Brink'. it looks as though the multiplayer mode (especially online) is where all the fun is.

I'll have to wait a bit more.

Too bad that so many people are getting put off... when I'm just getting more and more excited about the game! :U

I might still get it. I think it'll be worth the price different between what I buy it for and what I eventually sell it for...

I read the Official Nintendo Mag review for this last night and it began to make me want it again.

It's tennis after all (which I love) albeit with crazy shots. But ONM said it still is a good game to play and I like all of the features that are included such as the mini games and the ability to unlock a load of items for your Mii.

Plus I really want to start playing my 3ds again after not touching it for a while,

Like Hamish says - I can buy it, if it's no good trade it in and not lose much.

I play my 3DS daily but I do want something new for it.

Also... I must be in the minority, but I found the RPG side of things kind of annoying and unrelated.

Still, when games like Kid Icarus Uprising come out, which give you so much for what you pay, it does make you wonder why Mario Kart and Mario Tennis need to be so bare bones.

The reason is... people will buy it anyway. We're all gonna buy Mario Kart WiiU whether it has 30 characters, 20 cups, design your own track modes, an rpg side quest, missions, unlockable costumes.... or if it is just like Mario Kart 7...

The reason is... people will buy it anyway. We're all gonna buy Mario Kart WiiU whether it has 30 characters, 20 cups, design your own track modes, an rpg side quest, missions, unlockable costumes.... or if it is just like Mario Kart 7...

I won't be. Unless Nintendo sort themselves out, I won't buy another Mario Kart given how bare 7 was. Even with a better online setup (although having to spectate an entire race without being able to leave/return to the menus without shutting the game was assinine), it lacked several options that even budget racers put in and had horrible rubberbanding.

Unless they learn to develop proper AI (if Sumo Digital can do it for Sonic and Sega why can't Nintendo ::shrug:) and give a proportionate amount of content in both the offline and online spectrums, then it's a no go. Same reason I won't pick this up. Their reason for the lack of an RPG mode is ridiculous and it just wreaks of a quick cash-in. If this is their attitude currently, I dread to think what their titles will be like for the WiiU in the first year or so.