NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy

Hmm, you've piqued my interest, but I'm terrible at rhythm games. Last one I bought was Donkey Konga. When I saw those bongos, I imagined myself as a drumming prodigy. Yes, I was sure I would dazzle everyone with my bongo skills. What happened was I bought it and couldn't keep up with the Legend of Zelda theme. :heh:

But this does sound interesting, so I'll investigate it. :)

Ha, I can relate to that. I thought Donkey Konga would be good too but it was completely meh. I couldn't get into it at all! Elite Beat Agents is highly regarded, have you tried it? I played a good bit of it and can vouch for it being compatible with rhythmless folk like us. That Rhythm Whadjamacallitgoku that RedShell goes on (and on and on and on) about isn't too bad on the DS either but Theatrhythm is on a whole new level. :awesome: Its FF music, its party members, its equipping abilities, getting boss drops, getting new "maps"... its a tappy, slidey, musical RPG!

Hold your Chocobos! :heh:

Not until the definitive rhythm game is complete. ;)

Know how you haven't bought Theatrhythm yet? Yeah, well, that means you don't yet know what the definitive rhythm game is. :wink:

you guys are LVL99? HOW? i'm only level 22 how are you power leveling?

I haven't been power levelling, just playing the game. I just played a few more tracks and my Onion Knight (leader) has hit lvl 99. I took note of what sort of experience I was getting and it was in the 1,400-2,600 range each time, so I've been finding there's always some member of my party gaining a level after every song. I checked what I've equipped and I haven't used any of my Exp Scrolls to teach anyone that ability yet, so its not like I'm availing of that yet. I just figured the game was made this way to make you feel good and want to play more. :santa:

The Seymour track has popped up on a couple of my Dark Notes and I've been finding it a bit of a stickler. Not complaining as unlike other rhythm games, I really am enjoying the challenge in this one when it crops up. My favourite Dark Note is one that has Defiers of Fate (FF XIII) as the second track. I have another one with a quite challenging version of Battle on the Big Bridge (FF V) which is fun to try to master - this game has given me an all new appreciation for that tune.

I haven't been power levelling, just playing the game. I just played a few more tracks and my Onion Knight (leader) has hit lvl 99. I took note of what sort of experience I was getting and it was in the 1,400-2,600 range each time.

The Seymour track has popped up on a couple of my Dark Notes and I've been finding it a bit of a stickler. Not complaining as unlike other rhythm games, I really am enjoying the challenge in this one when it crops up. My favourite Dark Note is one that has Defiers of Fate (FF XIII) as the second track. I have another one with a quite challenging version of Battle on the Big Bridge (FF V) which is fun to try to master - this game has given me an all new appreciation for that tune.

My main character is now close to level 50. I gained a stupid amount of experience in one BMS due to me fighting a Magic Pot. I think I ended up with around 5,000 experience at the end of it!

Seymours battle track has popped up a few times and i've blitzed it every time. It helps that I love that track, so it's easy to get into the rhythm for it.

I was in that "zone" last night where I was hitting every note, getting every bonus and generally just owing that game. I thought I was never going to be able to do the Dark Note stages or even Expert levels, yet here I am flying through them. Methinks the progress of you has made me step up my game. :grin:

Speaking of shards, is there any way to view your progress with them?

When you go to change character you can see the silhouette of a character you have gained a shard for. I assume you just click on that to see, although I can't be sure as I haven't tried it myself.

Dark Notes my friend, Dark Notes. :)

Honestly, this games is such a piece of work and just reminds me how great the music is in the FF games. Some may hate the stories or the gameplay in the FF games but there is no denying the genius that is the music of this series.

It's great reading the same topic on various other boards. The game has inspired many people into wanting to play through the main Final Fantasy titles again. I know how they feel. :D

I have another one with a quite challenging version of Battle on the Big Bridge (FF V) which is fun to try to master - this game has given me an all new appreciation for that tune.

Hell yeah!

That Rhythm Whadjamacallitgoku that RedShell goes on (and on and on and on) about isn't too bad on the DS either but Theatrhythm is on a whole new level. :awesome:

Know how you haven't bought Theatrhythm yet? Yeah, well, that means you don't yet know what the definitive rhythm game is. :wink:

Q07qG.jpg

You crazy, amigo. :heh:

I've played the demo for this game, and although it's good, it ain't no Rhythm Tengoku. Not even close. :nono:

Theatrhythm is your typical "simon says" rhythm game, like Donkey Konga, Guitar Hero, Beatmania, etc...

The little icon slides along the screen, showing you exactly when to hit the note/beat.

In the Rhythm Tengoku series, the visuals are random as you like, in fact most of the time they're doing the complete opposite of assisting you, they're trying to put you off. :laughing: Which means you need to rely on your sense of rhythm in order to keep the beat, not a visual aid. ;)

So therefore the definitive rhythm game is surely the one that actually exercises/challenges your rhythm. ;) ;)

Really loving Teatrhythm, but, being lover of pretty much all rhythm games. I would say it's not as good as Donkey Konga, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents (and Oeundan) or even what I've played of Rhtyhm Thief. I'm not a FF fan so I'm going purely on the game; the others are much more fresh to play, and have better stories (not Donkey Konga).

Saying that, this is a better all round package, lots to do around the tapping. It's all pretty slight, but its still very welcome and gibes you lots of incentive to keep playing.

For me, this beats all the other rhythm games with an Ultima spell, followed by a summoning of The Knights of the Round and then finishing with a Renzokuken.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Of course i'm biased as I love the FF games. :heh:

To me, the key to a good rhythm game is the music. If you love the music that is played then you enjoy the game so much more. Darksnowman made this point earlier when saying that he doesn't get frustrated and rage quit because the music is that good and I totally feel the same. If I fail a song or muck up halfway through I can quite happily just restart it and start head bopping again. :D

This game....seriously. :yay::bowdown::heart:

Page 1

- Cleared all Final Fantasy titles!

- Summoned all five summons!

- Rode all varieties of chocobo!

- Watched all extended versions!

- Completed your first crystal!

- Exchanged ProfiCard with another player!

- Achieved first Perfect Chain!

- Achieved first All Critical!

Page 2

- Played Challenge mode 100 times!

- Played Challenge mode 300 times!

- Played Challenge mode 500 times!

- Cleared 15 different Dark Notes!

- Cleared 50 different Dark Notes!

- Cleared 99 different Dark Notes!

- Played Practice mode 50 times!

- Played Demo mode 50 times!

Page 3

- First character reached Lv99!

- Four characters reached Lv99!

- Ten characters reached Lv99!

- Obtained 15 ProfiCards!

- Obtained 50 ProfiCards!

- Obtained 99 ProfiCards!

- Shared bylines 50 times!

- Defeated all types of enemies!

Page 4

- Faced 100 enemies in battle!

- Faced 500 enemies in battle!

- Faced 1000 enemies in battle!

- Completed 100 summonings!

- Rode chocobos 100 times!

- Encountered 100 moogles!

- Watched extended versions 100 times!

- Received one billion points!

Page 5

- Received three billion points!

- Received 50 billion points!

- Filled the Critical Chart 10 times!

- Filled the Critical Chart 30 times!

- Activated abilities 500 times!

- Activated abilities 1000 times!

- Used items 50 times!

- Used items 100 times!

Page 6

- Beat 7+ enemies in one BMS!

- Activated 10+ abilities in 1 song!

- Cosmos joined your party!

- Defeat Chaos in a Dark Note!

- Beat Ultimate Score as a Stoic!

- Perfect Chained a Dark Note!

- Cleared a Dark Note on Multi Play!

- Played for 100 hours!

Page 7

- Cleared all Ultimate Scores!

- Got S on all Basic Scores!

- Got S on all Expert Scores!

- Got S on all Ultimate Scores!

- Perfect Chained all Basic Scores!

- Perfect Chained all Expert Scores!

- Perfect Chained all Ultimate Scores!

- Got S on all Basic Courses!

Page 8

- Got S on all Expert Courses!

- Got S on all Ultimate Courses!

- Collected all movies!

- Collected all songs!

- Collected all CollectaCards!

- Collected all characters!

- Filled the Critical Chart on all songs!

- All characters reached Lv99!

All this talk of Donkey Konga has made me dig out the bongos again.

I agree with those who have said that the DLC is a bit pricey. At least in Rock Band you get the whole song when you buy it. Doubt that will stop me from buying them though, especially if it's anything from FFXIII. I love that game, I don't understand all the hate.

Ha, I can relate to that. I thought Donkey Konga would be good too but it was completely meh. I couldn't get into it at all! Elite Beat Agents is highly regarded, have you tried it? I played a good bit of it and can vouch for it being compatible with rhythmless folk like us. That Rhythm Whadjamacallitgoku that RedShell goes on (and on and on and on) about isn't too bad on the DS either but Theatrhythm is on a whole new level. :awesome: Its FF music, its party members, its equipping abilities, getting boss drops, getting new "maps"... its a tappy, slidey, musical RPG!

I tried the demo last night (along with Rhythm Thief, which I was worse at, but it has great cel-shading and is stylistically very cool). Theatrhythm was charming, but I still got the feeling of it not being for me. I got a B rank on the easiest setting for the boss battle and an S rank for the more gentle demo.

Overall, I haven't dismissed it completely. More than anything else, it's made me want to play all the Final Fantasy games, as the music is beautiful.

EDIT - No, not played Elite Beat Agents.

Edited by Grazza

Doing songs on Ultimate difficulty nets you tons of experience. I think killing lots of enemies in difficult battle stages in the Chaos Shrine is the best way to gain experience points, I already have 3 characters at Level 99 and one is at 95.

I'm kinda bored of the game now, it just feels like a grind doing the same songs over and over to gain experience points and rhythmia to unlock more songs. I guess I'll play some more FF games and come back to it after street passing a few dark notes.

Seymours battle track has popped up a few times and i've blitzed it every time. It helps that I love that track, so it's easy to get into the rhythm for it.

I got another Dark Note with Seymours tune and holy crap

SPINNING ARROWS!

Probably doesn't help that I've been attempting it with my second party of low level noobs. Maybe I should swallow my pride and revert to my lvl 99ers and equip some x-potions.

When you go to change character you can see the silhouette of a character you have gained a shard for. I assume you just click on that to see, although I can't be sure as I haven't tried it myself.

You're right, I checked. I've 4/8 on a couple so far, not too shabby. I'm not sure who's who (well I think I can make out Cid but thats it) so it will be a surprise when I do unlock them and see who's in this.

You crazy, amigo. :heh:

I've played the demo for this game, and although it's good, it ain't no Rhythm Tengoku. Not even close. :nono:

Theatrhythm is your typical "simon says" rhythm game, like Donkey Konga, Guitar Hero, Beatmania, etc...

The little icon slides along the screen, showing you exactly when to hit the note/beat.

In the Rhythm Tengoku series, the visuals are random as you like, in fact most of the time they're doing the complete opposite of assisting you, they're trying to put you off. :laughing: Which means you need to rely on your sense of rhythm in order to keep the beat, not a visual aid. ;)

So therefore the definitive rhythm game is surely the one that actually exercises/challenges your rhythm. ;) ;)

I didn't try the demo of Theatrhythm but going by what Tales has posted, it consists two tracks? Come on, you can hardly base the entire game on that man! :heh: Trust me when I say there is spades of content and while the simon says style may make you yawn, its REALLY good in this game. I don't particularly care for music games so surely this is a good endorsement if its won me over.

Rhythm Heaven DS has some good stuff - like the frogs! - but a lot of filler material and mini games that make me want to pull my hair out. Exhibit A:

0.jpg

I still have nightmares about that!

Really loving Teatrhythm, but, being lover of pretty much all rhythm games. I would say it's not as good as Donkey Konga, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents (and Oeundan) or even what I've played of Rhtyhm Thief. I'm not a FF fan so I'm going purely on the game; the others are much more fresh to play, and have better stories (not Donkey Konga).

Saying that, this is a better all round package, lots to do around the tapping. It's all pretty slight, but its still very welcome and gibes you lots of incentive to keep playing.

Even dazzybee is giving a Final Fantasy game his seal of approval? :o

For me, this beats all the other rhythm games with an Ultima spell, followed by a summoning of The Knights of the Round and then finishing with a Renzokuken.

I'll just pop the kettle on whilst you get through all that summoning. We could be here a while. :indeed:

To me, the key to a good rhythm game is the music. If you love the music that is played then you enjoy the game so much more. Darksnowman made this point earlier when saying that he doesn't get frustrated and rage quit because the music is that good and I totally feel the same. If I fail a song or muck up halfway through I can quite happily just restart it and start head bopping again. :D

This game....seriously. :yay::bowdown::heart:

Page 1

Exactly. On the rare occasions (:wink:) when I fail a track, my attitude is more in the "I'll get you next time Gadget!" vain rather than the SNAP THE DS SHUT I'M NEVER TOUCHING THAT AGAIN treatment that EBA and Rhythm Paradise got.

As for the trophies, those ProfiCard ones are never gonna be obtained. :(

All this talk of Donkey Konga has made me dig out the bongos again.

I agree with those who have said that the DLC is a bit pricey. At least in Rock Band you get the whole song when you buy it. Doubt that will stop me from buying them though, especially if it's anything from FFXIII. I love that game, I don't understand all the hate.

Is 90p really that much? The tunes generally aren't that long anyway so if they extended them beyond two-ish minutes, it would just be looping the same content. ::shrug:

Will the add-on tracks appear as Dark Notes? Thats where the real difficulty is to be had. When you get a highly levelled Dark Note and theres a lot going on, you will not be wishing the tracks were longer, believe me!

I tried the demo last night (along with Rhythm Thief, which I was worse at, but it has great cel-shading and is stylistically very cool). Theatrhythm was charming, but I still got the feeling of it not being for me. I got a B rank on the easiest setting for the boss battle and an S rank for the more gentle demo.

Overall, I haven't dismissed it completely. More than anything else, it's made me want to play all the Final Fantasy games, as the music is beautiful.

What FF games have you played, just FF III? You could play some more of them and pick up Theatrhythm at a later date when you've built up some personal history with the series. :)

Doing songs on Ultimate difficulty nets you tons of experience. I think killing lots of enemies in difficult battle stages in the Chaos Shrine is the best way to gain experience points, I already have 3 characters at Level 99 and one is at 95.

I'm kinda bored of the game now, it just feels like a grind doing the same songs over and over to gain experience points and rhythmia to unlock more songs. I guess I'll play some more FF games and come back to it after street passing a few dark notes.

You don't wanna sicken yourself of the game. Thats what I'm worried about doing. Me, I've just been playing and enjoying the tracks and anything else I've got as a by product of that has been a bonus. Sure there will come a time when I want to actually read up on how to get items to drop, etc but at the minute the game is sheer nostalgic fun.

Your optimism at getting StreetPasses is commendable. :)

- Cleared all Final Fantasy titles!

- Summoned all five summons!

- Rode all varieties of chocobo!

- Watched all extended versions!

- Completed your first crystal!

- Exchanged ProfiCard with another player!

- Achieved first Perfect Chain!

- Achieved first All Critical!

Page 2

- Played Challenge mode 100 times!

- Played Challenge mode 300 times!

- Played Challenge mode 500 times!

- Cleared 15 different Dark Notes!

- Cleared 50 different Dark Notes!

- Cleared 99 different Dark Notes!

- Played Practice mode 50 times!

- Played Demo mode 50 times!

Page 3

- First character reached Lv99!

- Four characters reached Lv99!

- Ten characters reached Lv99!

- Obtained 15 ProfiCards!

- Obtained 50 ProfiCards!

- Obtained 99 ProfiCards!

- Shared bylines 50 times!

- Defeated all types of enemies!

Page 4

- Faced 100 enemies in battle!

- Faced 500 enemies in battle!

- Faced 1000 enemies in battle!

- Completed 100 summonings!

- Rode chocobos 100 times!

- Encountered 100 moogles!

- Watched extended versions 100 times!

- Received one billion points!

Page 5

- Received three billion points!

- Received 50 billion points!

- Filled the Critical Chart 10 times!

- Filled the Critical Chart 30 times!

- Activated abilities 500 times!

- Activated abilities 1000 times!

- Used items 50 times!

- Used items 100 times!

Page 6

- Beat 7+ enemies in one BMS!

- Activated 10+ abilities in 1 song!

- Cosmos joined your party!

- Defeat Chaos in a Dark Note!

- Beat Ultimate Score as a Stoic!

- Perfect Chained a Dark Note!

- Cleared a Dark Note on Multi Play!

- Played for 100 hours!

Page 7

- Cleared all Ultimate Scores!

- Got S on all Basic Scores!

- Got S on all Expert Scores!

- Got S on all Ultimate Scores!

- Perfect Chained all Basic Scores!

- Perfect Chained all Expert Scores!

- Perfect Chained all Ultimate Scores!

- Got S on all Basic Courses!

Page 8

- Got S on all Expert Courses!

- Got S on all Ultimate Courses!

- Collected all movies!

- Collected all songs!

- Collected all CollectaCards!

- Collected all characters!

- Filled the Critical Chart on all songs!

- All characters reached Lv99!

You're right, I checked. I've 4/8 on a couple so far, not too shabby. I'm not sure who's who (well I think I can make out Cid but thats it) so it will be a surprise when I do unlock them and see who's in this.

Sure there will come a time when I want to actually read up on how to get items to drop, etc but at the minute the game is sheer nostalgic fun.

I managed to get my first unlockable character last night after farming for shards. I looked up yesterday on how the Chaos Shrine actually works, so here's the crack.

When playing the FMS you have to perform well and if you do you will pass a sign that says Boss 2 and Boss 3. If you don't see that sign then you will always fight the first boss on the level.

When you play the BMS stage, after passing the sign, if you do well on the first couple of enemies you will fight the 3rd boss of the stage. If you perform badly then you will fight the 2nd boss. You should see a quick sign pop up on the top right of your screen telling you which boss you will fight.

The last boss will always drop 3 different shards. So if you defeat him once, you will get a shard, twice 2 shards and so on. The shard drops are random and can be mixed and matched. So lets say the boss drops orange, indigo and scarlet shards and you beat him twice in one BMS then you may get 2 oranges and next time a scarlet and indigo. If you have collected all of the shards of one type and the boss drops this it will appear as if you haven't received anything.

I got a couple of trophies last night, one of which was to do a no miss/bad run on a Dark Note.

What FF games have you played, just FF III? You could play some more of them and pick up Theatrhythm at a later date when you've built up some personal history with the series. :)

III and XII. I would like to play them all though, especially if they made a special Final Fantasy game engine for the 3DS and made I-VI on it.

I've got Theatrhythm, but haven't played it, but this is exactly what I'm doing now. I've finally started playing FFIII a few days ago, enjoying it so far too! after that I'll tackle FFIV then I'll go back to FFI & II, then FFV, FFVI. But after that point I don't know how to tackle VII-XII.

btw, I can't get enough of this.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I've got Theatrhythm, but haven't played it, but this is exactly what I'm doing now. I've finally started playing FFIII a few days ago, enjoying it so far too!

Get your butt to the HERE and tells us how your adventure is going! I'm interested to see what job types you are using.

Got the game yesterday. It's ok. It'd be great if it haven't been for those damn arrows not registring. I'm already fed up of repeating songs because I got a couple too many "bad".

If I can cope with it, or the game get its act together and register correctly, I will continue with the party of FFIX-FFXIII bar XI of course. They are my favourite games so I'd love to unlock a couple more of the characters before I stop playing. Although the dark notes are pretty mean. I have reached the boss all three times on the first note but I can't beat the boss. I guess I need a stronger party. The second note on the other hand, threw like 200 arrows in all directions at me and I can not blame the game for not registring those swipes, if I swiped left, that note had already passed like four notes ago :p Couldn't keep up!

The game made download FFIX on PSN plus, so I have one good thing from it. And I can't wait for FFX HD. I had problem payng attention to the notes because I wanted to see the FMVs :p Oh and please remake FFXII while you are it. Truly an awesome game. I wish I had a working PS2 right now.

Defeated two bosses for the first time on a Dark Note and didn't get a single shard! :blank:

Got the game yesterday. It's ok. It'd be great if it haven't been for those damn arrows not registring.

Don't lift the stylus off the touch screen when you are swiping.

Don't lift the stylus off the touch screen when you are swiping.

Was it Boss 3? Have you unlocked anyone yet? If so it may have dropped a shard for a character you already have, this makes it look like it dropped nothing.

Okay. So the shards. What's the deal with them? There are 3 bosses but I keep getting the 3rd boss how do I get the others? You fought two bosses in one go? How?

This game is crying our for online leaderboards :( After Sing everything where's the incentive?

Was it Boss 3? Have you unlocked anyone yet? If so it may have dropped a shard for a character you already have, this makes it look like it dropped nothing.

Just checked and I got Boss 1 which doesn't drop any shards. I made an absolute KILLING in both tracks of that Dark Note so I don't know why I was stuck with the first measly boss. ::shrug: Thought it had to do with your score which one you got to!

I've found what the movement number in the title of each Dark Note means. First digit determines the FMS (first track) and the second digit the BMS (second track).

FMS (1st digit):

0: Mt. Gulg from FFI

1: Eternal Wind from FFIII

2: Within the Giant from FFIV

3: Mambo de Chocobo from FFV

4: Terra's Theme from FFVI

5: Judgment Day from FFVII

6: Blue Fields from FFVIII

7: Zanarkand from FFX

8: Vana'diel March from FFXI

9: The Sunleth Waterscape

BMS (2nd digit):

0: Battle Theme 2 from FFII

1: Battle 1 from FFIV

2: Battle at the Big Bridge from FFV

3: Battle to the Death from FFVI

4: JENOVA from FFVII

5: The Man with the Machine Gun from FFVIII

6: Something to Protect from FFIX

7: Fight with Seymour from FFX

8: Ending Movie from FFXII

9: Defiers of Fate from FFXIII

So what I want are ones ending in 9!

Okay. So the shards. What's the deal with them? There are 3 bosses but I keep getting the 3rd boss how do I get the others? You fought two bosses in one go? How?

This game is crying our for online leaderboards :( After Sing everything where's the incentive?

There is a sign post appears in the FMS telling you what boss options you will have. After that its how you fly through the BMS that defines which boss you get...? Not entirely sure actually! I think people have managed to kill three bosses in their Dark Notes, maybe more. I have a party of Firion, Cecil, Cloud and Squall at the minute, so when the boss appears they have attacks equipped which are strong enough to wipe the boss out in seconds!

I knew you'd be crying out for online leaderboards. :wink:

I managed to get my first unlockable character last night after farming for shards. I looked up yesterday on how the Chaos Shrine actually works, so here's the crack.

When playing the FMS you have to perform well and if you do you will pass a sign that says Boss 2 and Boss 3. If you don't see that sign then you will always fight the first boss on the level.

When you play the BMS stage, after passing the sign, if you do well on the first couple of enemies you will fight the 3rd boss of the stage. If you perform badly then you will fight the 2nd boss. You should see a quick sign pop up on the top right of your screen telling you which boss you will fight.

The last boss will always drop 3 different shards. So if you defeat him once, you will get a shard, twice 2 shards and so on. The shard drops are random and can be mixed and matched. So lets say the boss drops orange, indigo and scarlet shards and you beat him twice in one BMS then you may get 2 oranges and next time a scarlet and indigo. If you have collected all of the shards of one type and the boss drops this it will appear as if you haven't received anything.

I got a couple of trophies last night, one of which was to do a no miss/bad run on a Dark Note.

I guess you guys (@dazzybee and @darksnowman) missed this?

But I was perfect streaking the first movement of that particular Dark Note!

What characters were you using level wise? If their agility is poor then they won't get through the stage fast enough to see the sign.

What characters were you using level wise? If their agility is poor then they won't get through the stage fast enough to see the sign.

Firion (lvl 95), Cecil (lvl 84), Cloud (lvl 84) and Squall (lvl 84). I think you have a point there actually - in my latest round of ability equipping, I think some of the moves gimped agility in favour of fire power. Oops.

So basically to get the other bosses yu have to be a little worse? Bizarre.

Do items and levels actually matter? If you tap everything what else can they do?