NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy

Most people say that Final Fantasy 4 (on the DS), 6, 7, 8, 9 (on PSN to play on PS3 or PSP) and 10 (PS2 game that is getting a HD remake) are the best Final Fantasy games. I've only played 7 and 9 myself and they're pretty good though I don't really have time for RPGs now.

That's why I love the series. Everyone has there own favourite because the stories within each game mean something different for each person. On these boards the topic has came up numerous times on which one is the best.

That's why I love the series. Everyone has there own favourite because the stories within each game mean something different for each person. On these boards the topic has came up numerous times on which one is the best.

My favourite is actually Crisis Core FF7 :D It seems like a love/hate game, never seen anyone with a neutral opinion of it. Zack is so much better than Cloud lol

and @V\. Amoleo it's still here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theatrhythm-Final-Fantasy-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B007VLYGMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341232069&sr=8-1

Most people say that Final Fantasy 4 (on the DS), 6, 7, 8, 9 (on PSN to play on PS3 or PSP) and 10 (PS2 game that is getting a HD remake) are the best Final Fantasy games. I've only played 7 and 9 myself and they're pretty good though I don't really have time for RPGs now.

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy is £20.69 from Sainsbury's Entertainment using the voucher code SETENJ12.

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Games/3DS/Theatrhythm-Final-Fantasy/product.html?product=E11104344

Damn, just went to buy it. It took the code. And then when I went to pay it said the code was invalid!

Damn, just went to buy it. It took the code. And then when I went to pay it said the code was invalid!

Are you a new customer or have you purchased from Sainsburys online before?

My favourite is actually Crisis Core FF7 :D It seems like a love/hate game, never seen anyone with a neutral opinion of it. Zack is so much better than Cloud lol

My favourite is VIII but I love Crisis Core, it's possibly my 2nd best. It's one of the few games that have drove me to tears at the end. You knew that it was gonna end that way but it still doesn't stop you from putting up a fight. I also agree with what you said, Zack>>>>>Cloud in every way.

My favourite is VIII but I love Crisis Core, it's possibly my 2nd best. It's one of the few games that have drove me to tears at the end. You knew that it was gonna end that way but it still doesn't stop you from putting up a fight. I also agree with what you said, Zack>>>>>Cloud in every way.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought! I couldn't believe the ending would be so strong even though I knew what'd happen. It also helped clear up the main story of FF7, I was only 10 at the time and very confused at around disc 2.

I still need to play FF8, I bought it while it was on sale on PSN but I keep putting it off :/

@dazzybee I researched the code and unfortunately it only works for new customers, sorry about that :(

Yeah that's exactly what I thought! I couldn't believe the ending would be so strong even though I knew what'd happen. It also helped clear up the main story of FF7, I was only 10 at the time and very confused at around disc 2.

I still need to play FF8, I bought it while it was on sale on PSN but I keep putting it off :/

@dazzybee I researched the code and unfortunately it only works for new customers, sorry about that :(

That's okay. I'll just resign up :)

So is that preorder bonus stylus an Amazon exclusive? Shopto has already started processing mine.

Last time I played through FF VII was... well, no more than five years ago now. :blank: Anyway, I had no idea even then what was really going on with the story. Such a shambles. :confused: Still, for some reason, I always find FF VII to be really "playable" even though its just a turn based RPG.

Last time I played through FF VII was... well, no more than five years ago now. :blank: Anyway, I had no idea even then what was really going on with the story. Such a shambles. :confused: Still, for some reason, I always find FF VII to be really "playable" even though its just a turn based RPG.

The story can get muddled at times and Crisis Core does help fill in the gaps, but as you said, the game is really playable. I think it because the materia system is just so well done. It's simple but very effective. You want a character to do a certain move? Then just slap that materia on him or her.

I guess that means they've filled up all their pre-orders, I remember Sonic Generations Collector's Edition selling out like that VERY quickly! Was so glad I managed to pick one up :)

I had a pre-order with Amazon but cancelled it for Shopto which I cancelled for Sainsbury's :D Here's hoping they deliver the game on time, but I don't mind waiting if I can save a quid :p

Yeah me too. It's not unlike Zelda in that respect!

For the record, FF4 (non DS, hate that version!) is the best game in the series. Here's my grand order (Not bothering with spinoffs or different versions because that would take forever! :D )

FF4>FF6>>>FF7>>>FF9>>FF3>>>FF1>>>>FF10>FF12>>FF2>>FF5>>FF10-2>>FF13-2>>Poop>>>>>>>>>>>>FF13>>>Garbage in it's purest form>>>FF8

If you're gonna start with the FF series from scratch, then FF4 is the very best place to start. Not because it's my favourite, but because it's the most friendly to newcomers and also the perfect summarisation of what the series is (or well used to be) all about.

As for the whole version question, for FF4 go with the PSP one if you can (but just pretend that The After Years doesn't exist). If not, go with the SNES original on the VC (while the GBA one features the original JPN difficulty, it also suffers from some nasty bugs and it's pretty hard to get your hands on the somewhat fixed, though still somewhat flawed, EU GBA version)

Preferred versions for each game can be seen below (PS1=PSN, there's nothing really wrong with the emulation on PS3, so feel free to pick it up from PSN if you have a PS3)

FF1: PS1

FF2: PS1

FF3: DS (unless you understand Japanese, in which case Famicom!)

FF4: PSP or SNES/VC (PSP one is purer to the original JPN version, SNES VC one is easier)

FF5: GBA

FF6: SNES/VC

FF7: PS1

FF8: PS1

FF9: PS1

FF10: PS2 (though you might want to hold out for the upcoming HD remaster)

FF10-2: PS2

FF12: PS2

FF13: PS3

FF13-2: PS3

Edited by Dcubed

You... you DON'T like the DS remake of FF4?! :eek:

Personally I can't stand the 2D Final Fantasy games, not because they're 2D but they're too old and hard for me :P Impossible to play without a strategy guide and I find it really detracts from the experience to constantly look at a guide while playing.

You... you DON'T like the DS remake of FF4?! :eek:

Personally I can't stand the 2D Final Fantasy games, not because they're 2D but they're too old and hard for me :P Impossible to play without a strategy guide and I find it really detracts from the experience to constantly look at a guide while playing.

Does not compute!!! :shakehead

FF4 DS raised the difficulty past the point of fun and well into the realm of frustration. It's also slow as hell, the music arrangements aren't as good as their originals (thankfully the PSP version lets you choose between the DS and SNES OSTs!) and the game has been turned into a ridiculous grindfest!

Fundamentally though it's a different game thanks to the Augment system and the other gameplay changes, so I wouldn't even count it amongst the other versions of FF4. There's also something to be said about them ditching the beautiful charming sprites for slow and clunky 3D (oh and with only a max of 4 enemies in each encounter too thanks to the DS' hardware limitations!)

Edit: Yay! Shopto have packed and dispatched my copy :yay:

Edited by Dcubed

I thought the DS game was easy enough :confused: Plus who could resist 3D Rydia? :love:

And lucky you, you'll probably have it by tomorrow or Thursday :D

Edit: Yay! Shopto have packed and dispatched my copy :yay:

Same here!

I thought the DS game was easy enough :confused: Plus who could resist 3D Rydia? :love:

Yeah, I never had a problem with the DS version either. Saying that, the last dungeon was just stupid. You had to travel through the whole thing and beat the boss, without a freaking save anywhere near you!

If I do get to play FFIV this year it, will be the PSP version I play this time. The 2D sprites on that handheld are simply lovely.

EDIT: DLC incoming!

Nintendo's first serving of paid-for 3DS DLC arrives in Europe this week, with eight new tracks for rhythm-based Final Fantasy spin-off Theatrhythm.

Each new ditty costs 90 pence to download. There's a range of tunes on offer from throughout the RPG series' history:

A Fleeting Dream (FF10 - FMS)

Ride On (FF08 - FMS)

Cosmo Canyon (FF07 - FMS)

In Search of Light (FF05 - FMS)

Fighting Fate (FF13 - BMS)

Fighters of the Crystal (FF11 - BMS)

The Final Battle (FF04 - BMS)

Battle Theme 1 (FF02 - BMS)

Songs labelled "FMS" are Field Music levels, while "BMS" are Battle Music melodies.

The new content arrives in time for Theatrhythm's European launch on Friday (stand by for Eurogamer's verdict tomorrow).

Not sure how I'd exactly list all the FF games but I have genuinely enjoyed the 2D/ old skool ones more than what VII and beyond have offered. Not saying the 3D ones are bad games or anything cos I am, of course, a massive fan of the entire series. FF VI is blatantly the high point of them all. :grin:

EDIT: DLC incoming!

90p a pop apparently. Bargain!

got a delivery notification and photo from Shopto early hours of this morning (4.03 or something random) so hopefully should have this tomorrow.

The Demo really sold this for me, surprisingly additive

Just read the gamesradar review.

Essentially:

YOU'LL LOVE

Rhythm gameplay easy to grasp

Contains some of the best songs in gaming history

A love letter to Final Fantasy all fans will enjoy

YOU'LL HATE

RPG elements are fairly superficial

Daunting amount of things to unlock

Running out of songs you haven’t played

"Daunting amount of things to unlock"

That doesn't sound like a bad thing.

"Running out of songs you haven’t played "

DLC.

I Haven't read the review, but they just don't sound like bad points.

This makes the game sound even better!

Edited by -Dem0-

90p a song?! Am I the only one who thinks thats pretty expensive?!

Pfft. Bottled it. Ordered. Fuck it. May as well order Beat the beat as well...