NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy

Hmmm. Quite surprised there isn't a topic for this yet. Here's the first trailer of the game and I think it looks great. Just keep watching until the music kicks in. :D

wp_02_1280x720.jpg

The character desgins are fantastic, hopefully the gameplay will be up to scratch aswell.

Final Fantasy + Elite Beat Agents = Win.

More details from GoNintendo

- Prologue

Cosmos and chaos—temporal intervals between the two divine pillars are called rhythm. Rhythm gave a birth to crystals ruling music, and the world was full of the glow of sounds. However, the harmony was disturbed by the force of chaos, and the crystals ruling music were losing their glow. To restore glow to the crystals, musical undulation “rhythpo†must be enhanced. Warriors led by crystals are starting their adventure to weave music...

- includes music from FF I to FF XIII

- characters in the game exist within a single universe

- Popular heroes and heroines, such as Lightning (FF XIII), Cecil (FF II/IV), or Tina/Terra (FF III/VI), form a party and venture together

- Series Mode lets you pick a specific Final Fantasy game in order to play through music from that entry

- Each title offers three kinds of stages

- Event music stage: Against the backdrop of a cut scene in an original art style

- Field music stage: Chocobo and Moogle support characters under a specific condition

- Battle music stage: Battle against monsters from the franchise

- complete a stage in “series†mode to unlock its music in the second “challenge†mode

- play the same tune in multiple difficulties

- game include RPG elements like character development

- website here

http://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoWorldReport#p/u/5/F2UXXhrFXP0

After seeing this video at Nintendo's conference, I think it's safe to say that this game is looking to be a winner!

Gameplay looks fun and it certainly looks hard enough to be interesting. This should scratch that Ouendan/EBA itch quite nicely :D

I just hope that we get some rearranged music as well and not just the original music from the FF series.

Hmmm. Quite surprised there isn't a topic for this yet.

I actually thought this was a Wii game. Shows how much attention I was paying! :blush:

Final Fantasy + Elite Beat Agents = Win.

In theory, this is so true. :bouncy:

Did Looney Tunes + EBA = Win after showing early promise...?

This will probably be be the first Final Fantasy game I buy :heh:

Did Looney Tunes + EBA = Win after showing early promise...?

Not really. The game only featured opera and classical music, stages were short, the animation on the top screen was repetitive and the game didn't respond accurately to your inputs on the touchscreen.

Final Fantasy VI opening...awesome. :D Dunno why Lightning is the character on screen for that song though. ::shrug:

Anima, the menacing Final Fantasy X aeon that hits enemy with Pain, appears in Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy as a regular enemy. I fought Anima in the new Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy demo while the Man with the Machine Gun from Final Fantasy VIII played in the background.

The new demo also had a field song where Minwu strolled to Sunleth Waterscape. Field scenes have players tap red notes and trace green lines with the stylus. While you can stray off the wavy green line a little bit, there are specific notes you need to hit to keep your combo going. Battle scenes have summons as special events. On the field, you can summon a Chocobo if you tap all of the notes in the event zone. Snow was waiting at the end with a treasure chest and jumped for joy when Cecil reached the goal. Why Cecil? Each time you make a mistake your character trips and changes to another party member.

From the two downloadable demos we have a partial song list for Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy VI

Decisive Battle (Battle)

Terra’s Theme (Field)

Celes’ Theme (Event)

Final Fantasy VIII

Man with the Machine Gun (Battle)

Blue Fields (Field)

Waltz for the Moon (Event)

Final Fantasy XIII

Blade’s Edge (Battle)

Sunleth Waterscape (Field)

Defilers of Fate (Event)

Info from Siliconera.

The tunes are great (which goes without saying) however, from the trailers theres something about the art style that rubs me the wrong way - looks cheap, imo.

Final Fantasy VI opening...awesome. :D Dunno why Lightning is the character on screen for that song though. ::shrug:

If you look at the top right corner it seems like it's the player's chosen character.

Probably won't buy this, not a fan of this kind of game.

Decisive Battle is a brilliant choice for this kind of game, I want to jump in and play the thing.

In saying that, this game looks a bit amateurish (odd sprite design choice). We'll see eh.

Woohoo! The game heads west!

LOS ANGELES (Mar. 22, 2012) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, announced THEATRHYTHM™ FINAL FANTASY® (pronounced “theater rhythm”) exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system. This year marks the 25th anniversary of FINAL FANTASY, and THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY is the first music rhythm game in the history of the world famous franchise.

Developed by rhythm game veteran indieszero, SQUARE ENIX brings more than 70 musical scores spanning 25 years to THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY. The title features music from key events, lush field themes and decisive battle arrangements.

THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY features a hybrid of music rhythm gameplay with RPG elements. Adorably re-designed heroes from the catalogue of FINAL FANTASY titles will set out on an adventure to combat memorable villains with the rhythmic taps of the player’s stylus. Players can:

Revisit their most cherished memories from each FINAL FANTASY title

Strive to achieve the highest ranks in the challenge mode

Collect and share “dark notes,” a random music sheet that is riddled with hidden loot within the Chaos Shrine

Seek out crystal shards to unlock hidden characters

Product Summary

Title THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY

Platform Nintendo 3DS handheld system

Genre Music Rhythm Game

Release Date Summer 2012

Oh god damn it, why is it when I'm expected to leave Europe for a while that they then decide to release games faster than ever?

Saving money is going to be hard this summer D=

Not exactly a surprise but still good to finally have an official confirmation of its western release!

Been looking forward to this for a good while. Looks like this should fill the Ouendan/EBA gap in the 3DS' library nicely :) This is a great year for Rhythm games! (Rhythm Heaven, Rhythm Thief and Theatrhythm!)

Great news about the western release but the art style still hasn't won me over. Good job the music is top notch. :grin:

This can currently be pre-ordered at Amazon for £23.08 :)

EDIT : Pretty cheap at ShopTo too, at £23.84

Edited by welsh_gamer

I'm still not 100% about this game, but I pre-ordered anyway. I've got time to wait and see how this unfolds till release. btw are you getting it @welsh_gamer? Thanks for posting this.

Yep. I've put a pre-order in, as I love rhythm games. Nintendo Gamer gave it a score of 80% in their latest issue.

At a price like that I can't say no... Plus it comes out in July just in time for my birthday :D

So yeah, demo's out. It's awesome, go get!

A ranked the FF13 song in Ultimate. AWWWW YEAH!! :D

Ultimate difficulty is nice and hard BTW!

S rank is the best but I can only get a C rank on ultimate difficulty lol

Wasn't really on my watch list this but found the demo to be pretty good fun. Definitely bears some semblance to Ouendan, which I've been thinking of getting back into (if only to see if I can finally beat the very last song on the highest difficulty as that's all I have left to do in the first Ouendan), and that's a good thing. Not quite sure I like the sprite based characters though. Looks a little weird, at least to me anyway.

If it's available at a decent price, then I'd consider picking it up as I'm sure I'd have fun with it and it'd span the gap to Kingdom Hearts 3D very nicely.

If it's available at a decent price, then I'd consider picking it up as I'm sure I'd have fun with it and it'd span the gap to Kingdom Hearts 3D very nicely.

Its just over £21 on Shopto.

Unexpectedly enjoyed this a lot more than Kingdom Hearts (which felt like a mess to me). The release price is tempting too!

Tried out the demo, liked it more than I thought. Don't really have much familiarity with FF music though so any nostalgia attempts are lost on me. Might pick it up after the price drops.

If this was Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (which they said they want to do) I'd buy 10 copies.

This game is great, god I love rhythm games. Shame I don't know the music or series very well though. Definitely pick it Jo, £20 you say hero? Hope the DLC is reasonable priced.

I quite enjoyed the demo, will probably pick this up at some point. (Still need to get Rhythm Thief too. :hmm:)

No way am I getting it at launch though, all of my gaming attention will be on Rhythm Paradise Wii! :cool: