NEurope
Ashley

Suggestions

The Homebrew Zelda would have originated through use of Rom hacks and all that, which is illegal.

Er... what? There was no "rom hacking" going on, it was a freeware game made from scratch. That's what homebrew is.

As for the wii60 site, I just thought it was quite cool to see 360 owners and Wii types banding together. Locking it was pretty pathetic in my opinion. There are loads of threads saying "hey, have a look at this site" that aren't locked for "advertising".

Yawn, bunch of pansies.. I thought the Zelda thing was stupid but it's not that I care about.

Magazine scans are accepted as okay until the magazine asks otherwise.. it's pretty reasonable if you are sparing, summarising the text of the article and only scanning the photos.

International magazines are few and far, yet exclusives like Red Steel are common.

I don't give a crap. if you're gonna kack yourselves because some rebellious forum mods got sued for not complying with the polite request from a magazine publisher to take photos down, then go ahead.

It's not as if they didn't deserve it or anything.

It's easy to differentiate between advertising (Wii60) and just something cool.. I think the forum needs a beginners forum just so they can get the bullshit threads out of their system then join the proper forums and be civilised.

There are loads of threads saying "hey, have a look at this site" that aren't locked for "advertising".

Examples?

And personally, even if I were buying a 360 and Wii I wouldn't really care to speak to others. Apart from "What games are you getting?" what more can there to be said?

And on that Zelda site it does say not to worry about legality "because the roms we download are much more illegal."

What's wrong with covering our arses? I feel its fair enough.

So now are you saying it doesn't involve "rom hacking" now that you've gone looking for something else to justify it? That line on the site is a joke anyway. There's no difference between the Zelda homebrew game and the other stuff in the homebrew thread. The Wii60 site was mostly a collection of spoof pics and vids about the 360 and Wii together, so I thought it might be of interest to Wii fans. I'd just found it, other people in the thread said it was cool, it's not like I'm saying "Click here to get a free iPod" or getting paid per click. You don't want to see it, so it gets deleted? Does that happen to all threads one mod isn't interested in?

It's your site and you can mod it however you like, I'm just saying it would be better if perfectly good threads weren't deleted for no reason just because someone has a lock button and an itchy trigger finger. Be honest, if another mod hadn't locked those threads, you wouldn't have even thought about it.

So now are you saying it doesn't involve "rom hacking" now that you've gone looking for something else to justify it? That line on the site is a joke anyway.

Nope. Im not looking for excuses.

The Wii60 site was mostly a collection of spoof pics and vids about the 360 and Wii together, so I thought it might be of interest to Wii fans. I'd just found it, other people in the thread said it was cool, it's not like I'm saying "Click here to get a free iPod" or getting paid per click.

Then by the sounds, it'd be more suited to the Funny Things thread.

You don't want to see it, so it gets deleted? Does that happen to all threads one mod isn't interested in?

Don't be so naive. If that were true, we'd have no Big Brother threads, or WWE threads, or anything related to sport.

It's your site and you can mod it however you like, I'm just saying it would be better if perfectly good threads weren't deleted for no reason just because someone has a lock button and an itchy trigger finger.

Perfectly good threads weren't deleted for the desire of using the lock button. Again, thats naivity. Being a mod/admin ain't a fun joy full of silly times and amusing games. Speaking on a personal level (and I'd imagine the rest would agree), actually having to lock stuff isn't fun. Its a chore.

Be honest, if another mod hadn't locked those threads, you wouldn't have even thought about it.

I questioned the Homebrew thread, and was going to look into it before it was closed. The Wii60 one I didn't look at.

I think official threads relating to games and big events should be stopped.

An example is the Zelda thread currently in the Wii discussions. I want to talk about Zelda, who doesn't? However I don't want to read through pages and pages of people saying "cant wait for this game" to discuss what I want to discuss. I want to get straight to my point, say for example graphics or controls, and discuss them with other people. For that I think a "Zelda controls" thread would be better.

I suppose the reason you have official threads is to keep the forums more organised. It doesn't do this, as it takes me ages to find what I want to talk about. It also discourages people from posting, as not everyone can be bothered catching up with the (often repetitive) discussion by reading tens of pages before posting, and then not being able to find their post when they check back the next day.

You never used to have official threads, and, while I understand why they are here, I think in most cases they do more harm than good.

You don't need to read an official thread all the way through, discussions tend to go round in cycles, while the controller scheme may have already been discussed, there is no harm in starting the discussion again. We don't expect you to read through everything. As you said, it is a form of tidying.

Don't forget, at the top of every thread there is a "search this thread" option.

Still, I would rather have smaller catagories with more distinct, compressed discussions.

But I suppose I'm a minority...

I'm a little dubious about Official threads. They do serve a purpose, and i can see an advantage and a disadvantage.

The advantage: The whole board doesn't get cluttered with the same topics being repeated over and over. All the information goes into one thread.

The disadvantage: This thread becomes cluttered if the thread really takes off. If the thread has 4/5 pages, it's fine. However, if a thread has 30 pages, it becomes a problem.

Therefore, i think a resolution is needed.

For example, in the official Zelda thread, it may be worthwhile for someone to take their time and create a post with all the basic information that we need to know. Examples being a post with trailers, pics, information about controls.

Take a look at my Wii everything you need to know thread to see what i mean. Good idea, bad idea?

Just a little niggle.....

In the news article about the price cap for the Wii, the price for "we Brits" was estimated, its just that not everyone on R-E is British. Many Dutch people, Finnish and indeed Irish are on here, and the site is called Revolution-Europe.

Dont want to sound like a bigot at all, just said i'd point it out!!

Just a little niggle.....

In the news article about the price cap for the Wii, the price for "we Brits" was estimated, its just that not everyone on R-E is British. Many Dutch people, Finnish and indeed Irish are on here, and the site is called Revolution-Europe.

Dont want to sound like a bigot at all, just said i'd point it out!!

Maybe im being pedantic but to me the writer is British, and thus "we Brits" suggests his fellow people. If he said "you Brits" he would be presuming everyone is British, but "we Brits" just means the other people in Britain. Yes the rest of Europe isn't included but hey ho. Lets not argue semantics.

Maybe im being pedantic but to me the writer is British, and thus "we Brits" suggests his fellow people. If he said "you Brits" he would be presuming everyone is British, but "we Brits" just means the other people in Britain. Yes the rest of Europe isn't included but hey ho. Lets not argue semantics.

Indeed! Anyways like i said just a niggle!

I suggest you make everyone take an IQ test as part of the registration process, and anyone without a satisfactory score has their IP banned and is never allowed to visit the site again. Then maybe we could have some interesting discussion in the gaming forums without moronic fanboys getting in the way. :mad:

To be honest as a gaming site we are always gonna get fanboys. But compared to other sites ours are minimul.

Can you make a Revo-europe podcast every week please

Hell yea.

Fierce Link, why not do that but separate the ideas into different threads? Is that what you are suggesting?

Haha I miss our discussions about Oasis!

Fierce Link, why not do that but separate the ideas into different threads? Is that what you are suggesting?

Haha I miss our discussions about Oasis!

The idea is kinda like this:

General discussion takes place in the Zelda thread. When official information is announced, the first post in the thread is updated.

For example, if it was announced that the game would feature online features, someone would update the first page to feature this information.

Or, seperate threads would be pretty good as well. Like, Zelda controls, Zelda characters, etc.

I miss our discussions too. :'(

I'll PM you my new email addy and you can add me to msn if you like.

i hate to be such a boring sod but i have noticed a rather worrying trend on r-e, and that is the lack of upper case letters in a startling number of posts. people seem to have no problem applying the basic rules of grammar but are somehow unable to apply a capital letter at the start of sentences, or in names and abbreviations, or when referring to themselves in the first person. perhaps you should educate users in the merits of the shift key?

i hate to be such a boring sod but i have noticed a rather worrying trend on r-e, and that is the lack of upper case letters in a startling number of posts. people seem to have no problem applying the basic rules of grammar but are somehow unable to apply a capital letter at the start of sentences, or in names and abbreviations, or when referring to themselves in the first person. perhaps you should educate users in the merits of the shift key?

And use it like you do ;)

Yeah im guessing you didn't use it for irony?

And if we want to get picky, "Fields" and "Heighway" (which, by the way is spelt without an 'e') don't merit capital letters. If we're being picky that is.

Heighway was a legend who used to play for Liverpool. Have i got that right?

Ah yeah sorry I didn't look at the context. But still, "Fields" is still wrong :P

Hehe. Anyway, spelling and punctuation really isn't a big problem in my eyes on this forum. It's when you get people typing solely in txt speak that things start to become a problem. As long as the poster has intended or made the effort to type a post and make it understandable, then that's fine with me.