NEurope
Ashley

Suggestions

Okay we're getting a lot of suggestions in various places so the neat freak in me decided upon this topic.

Suggestions

Ones im aware of:

1. Forum is too small for big displays so see about centering/stretching/whatever

2. Retro schemes

3. Arcade

Answers

1. Will talk to Jan and Lammie, not sure whose hands it should fall in (coder vs designer basically)

2. It will happen, just in time. Christmas is round the corner ;)

3. Need a hack, and to do that I need the license holder. Im pretty sure its Tim whose moving counry at the moment so again, patience.

I will update this post with all new suggestions and answers when they're posted below.

Suggestions/problems:

1. Would it not make more sense to have the "News" threads in the relevant forums, i.e. Revolution stories in the Revolution forum? At the moment it seems to be that most people end up discussing news related topics in the forums related to the particular system, just seems to make more sense that way. I don't know if it's automated at the moment, if it is you'd need to add a category to each news piece, though I'd still recommend leaving the "News:" tag at the start.

2. I'm not sure if the reputation is running correctly at the moment, I was just looking in my profile settings and noticed two people seem to have given me postive feedback but there's no change in my score. Is it broken, or do you have to exceed the initial 10 that you seem to get by default?

Can we have an increase in avatar size dimensions? 100 x 100 would fit this forum well, and I'm sure the 56k'ers will be fine with it (right guys?).

I don't mind the avatar dimensions as is, but the PROFILE PICTURE size needs to be increased dramatically.

Someone reduced it from default to 100x100 but neglected to change the size limit, because a 100x100 image can only be 23.9KB, and never reach teh 64KB default limit.

Also the header for the page needs to be resaved as png, there was a whole thread about it, I think Lammie went away to look at it.

Also I request a Google Talk (Gmail) field under the Instant Messaging formats.

Suggestions/problems:

1. Would it not make more sense to have the "News" threads in the relevant forums, i.e. Revolution stories in the Revolution forum? At the moment it seems to be that most people end up discussing news related topics in the forums related to the particular system, just seems to make more sense that way. I don't know if it's automated at the moment, if it is you'd need to add a category to each news piece, though I'd still recommend leaving the "News:" tag at the start.

2. I'm not sure if the reputation is running correctly at the moment, I was just looking in my profile settings and noticed two people seem to have given me postive feedback but there's no change in my score. Is it broken, or do you have to exceed the initial 10 that you seem to get by default?

1. The news board is directly linked to the main site. It more or less replaces the old comments system. Basically, it's just a way of allowing people who browse the main site to come into the boards and talk about the news articles. I actually think it's good the way it currently is, because then all news that has been posted on the main site is in one place, whereas it would get lost in Revolution discussion board.

2. The reputation thing is confusing, so sorry if i get this wrong. I've had a total of 9 comments, yet my total was still 10. I think it has something to do with posts. The more posts the person who's repping you has, the bigger the 'power' they will have when they rep you. The problem with me was all the people who were repping me were doing it on the first day or second day of the site, when people still had low post counts! So, i believe they have to get above a certain postcount before the rep system fully comes into play.

Athriller: We'll discuss it with the staff and we'll come to a decision. Although, i would agree on raising the avatar size limit before i agree on a sig limit tho, as i feel anything bigger than 500x150 is just plain silly. I think we can reach a compromise on this.

Roadkill: These points will be brought us and talked over with staff. I'll see what i can do.

I don't mind the avatar dimensions as is, but the PROFILE PICTURE size needs to be increased dramatically.

Someone reduced it from default to 100x100 but neglected to change the size limit, because a 100x100 image can only be 23.9KB, and never reach teh 64KB default limit.

Also the header for the page needs to be resaved as png, there was a whole thread about it, I think Lammie went away to look at it.

Also I request a Google Talk (Gmail) field under the Instant Messaging formats.

1. The default is 100x100, or at least it seems to be going by the several boards I've looked at.

2. A google talk field is also another hack, so I'll need to get onto that when I get permission. Ive added a field in the profile but its a bit awkwardly placed at the moment.

And one more, in big letters;

one reputation comment DOES NOT EQUAL one reputation point

it relies upon how many posts the commentor has (or how long they have been here). More respected members (ie with higger post counts or karma) give out more points, whereas a member with only 30 posts will not give out one point with a comment, but instead a fraction of a point.

The colour of the icon.

reputation_pos.gif Positive

reputation_balance.gif Neutral (in essence, no effect)

reputation_neg.gif Negative

Are you thinking of using the subscription feature? I'm sure loads of people would be £5 a year for a private forum and some other random things (access to the arcade?). I know I would pay £5 for that.

Can we have an increase in avatar size dimensions? 100 x 100 would fit this forum well, and I'm sure the 56k'ers will be fine with it (right guys?).

In support of this I just noticed that there is an option in your User CP to turn off all avatars and signatures. Friendly for dial-up users I think.

I reccomend removing the horrid blue border box around the avatars, as they only link that persons profile, just keep that link on their username.

I don't like this on thread titles: (1 2 3 ... Last Page )

What if you want to go to page 14? I know you can go into the thread and then one click will take you to the right page, but it's a bit annoying, and also, you don't know how many pages are in a thread. Is this even changeable?

Set the numbers of posts per page to the highest it can go. I did, helps.

It's in the control panel options.

A couple of things. Firstly, a music forum would be good. Not only will it save a good few threads going into General Chit-Chat, but it will encourage posters to share their musical tastes more, and basically provide a big network of bands and artist(e)s for people to consider, broadening musical horizons and giving us all more to talk about.

Secondly, I am in no way interested in paying a fiver to access these boards. They've been free for the last three years, why change that now? Besides, everyone should be welcome here. People shouldn't be excluded simply because they don't have a debit card.

CubeChris: Lammie does most of the stuff regarding layout, so hopefully he'll see this and come up with an idea.

Mr_odwin: We'll talk it over about what will happen with signatures and the like. Yeah, it is a bit annoying about the pages.Although, it's not very often that a page will go past say 5 pages. I'll look into that. This links into the next answer for:

Piro: I think it might be a good idea to raise the number of posts for each thread slightly, but nothing too stupid. What is the maximum, btw?

Zatoichi: 1. Yeah, we've often talked about a music board. Although, music threads are often around for only about a month at a time, then they quickly sink to the bottom of the page. It has been discussed many a time. I think a music subforum would be a good idea, but not a whole board just for it. Also, if we made a music subforum, we'd more or less be forced to cater for other things. For example, a movie subforum, a sport subforum. It would just detract the attention that the main general chit chat board would be getting, imo.

2. No way are we going to let people to pay for using this. As you rightly said, it would just limit our audience.

I'd totally pay a few quid to access the forums, but then I'm used to the Something Awful way; you know, a huge community worth paying access for.

Hmm... As for the posts per page ... It's in User Control Panel>Options... 40 posts per page is the maximum you can set it to at the moment, and that's what I have it as.

I see your point about having to create boards for other medium if there was one created for music... but again, I think that the only reason there aren't more posts about music and movies and the like, is because there aren't boards dedicated to them. For instance, do you think there would be as many posts about rival consoles and games if that board didn't exist?

I suggest a trial period of say two weeks, to see how things go. I think the forum would greatly benefit from a board for music.

I was meaning just an extra forum for the people who pay. You can still access all the other ones if you don't pay. Paying is totally optional.

Piro: I think 40 would be slightly just pushing it, maybe? Hmm. Might give it a run down later and see how everything looks. Ta for the suggestion.

Zatoichi: Hmm, you do raise some good points. A trial run would be a good idea, and i'll bring up the suggestion with the staff in a bit. It's an idea worth looking into, i agree.

Moria: The problem with that is that we will have to provide something that is worth the £5, otherwise nobody would sign up. :hmm:

I already run the board with 40 posts per page because of that option. I'm just saying if it bothers anyone else, they can change it to be such.

:)

just to clear up there isnt gonna be a music board, football board, sport board or anyting like that, all those can go into chit chat! if we had seperate boards or sub boards for every topic chit chat will be empty and would not be what it is today! we are a nintendo forum not an everything forum, yes we have boards such as creative and tech etc but there was a need for them and at the moment still is, at the moment there isnt a need for anything else, i dont see tons of music threads with lots of pages cluttering up chit chat so there is no need to take that topic of conversation away from there.

we dont want this forum ending up with tons of boards which have hardly any posts in them, it all looks too messy, the fewer boards the better.