NEurope
Ashley

Suggestions

That's fine, if that's what people prefer. As I said it doesn't affect me as I don't even realise what boards each thread is on half the time.

I do think that we might have more discussion if we rolled everything into one though. People who normally would only go to the Nintendo board, as you say, might be curious to read and comment in a Other Consoles thread, and vice versa. As long as we had obvious format tags for game specific threads so people didn't get confused.

I think it would have been much more of an issue a year ago when we still had all the animosity and arguments but thankfully things in the Nintendo section have calmed down a lot since then.

I'm almost positive merging the two would alienate a lot of the Nintendo board-only visitors. This isn't a gaming discussion board, it's a Nintendo discussion board with an extra board created to discuss non-Nintendo games. As far as I'm concerned, that might as well be a board about Football or tumble driers, it doesn't belong mixed in with the Nintendo threads.

To be really frank, discussion has dropped for two reasons: one, people prefer social media to forums and two, we put out about 5% of the news we used to, which drove newcomers in from search engines. Merging boards to bolster discussion is just a patch-job that could make things better or worse temporarily but either way wouldn't solve any problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do think my original suggestion would be ok though, listing all the formats in a thread title even if its originally posted in the Nintendo section. Happened again today with the Street Fighter thread.

The latest spammer and someone making a joke about this site missed being called "wii-europe", made me realize, you may not actually have the most seo-friendly name. What are the thoughts on renaming this site "nintendo-europe", or something along those lines? I get you may want to avoid something so "official" sounding, although on the other hand, I doubt you'd be in some actual legal trouble for that. That said, you could compromise on another name that does include "nintendo" and something Europe-related, but still sound more like a fansite. Edit: not to mention nintendo-europe.com is already in use by Nintendo.

Edited by Sméagol

Renaming the site at this point would be detrimental to our SEO standings. You don't need the most gaming sounding name to get up there on google. Look at kotaku, ign, neogaf, polygon, giant bomb. What you need is content :p

• Thanks 1

I can't claim to be an SEO expert, but I can't help but think that actually having "Nintendo" somewhere in the name would help. Searching for Nintendo europe fansite at least, doesn't put you in the top hits. If content is a problem, then you're not abusing your writer staff enough. Don't you have whips? :p

Does this website actually do well enough financially? Or are you guys out of pocket?

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

The latest spammer and someone making a joke about this site missed being called "wii-europe", made me realize, you may not actually have the most seo-friendly name. What are the thoughts on renaming this site "nintendo-europe", or something along those lines? I get you may want to avoid something so "official" sounding, although on the other hand, I doubt you'd be in some actual legal trouble for that. That said, you could compromise on another name that does include "nintendo" and something Europe-related, but still sound more like a fansite. Edit: not to mention nintendo-europe.com is already in use by Nintendo.

Fun fact!  We went to N-Europe (from Revo-Europe) because we did not want to be called Wii-Europe.  Almost meant we didn't have to change the name every few years which also helped.

We do occasionally get people on Twitter assuming we are Nintendo too.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Searching for Nintendo europe fansite at least

Putting "Nintendo Europe" (with or without fansite) the whole front page is Nintendo themselves, and their own Youtube channel. Can't compete with that. We're not long after on the second page though.

Writing for the site is a voluntary task which comes with no particular degree of pressure. We probably need fresh, young blood, as the site had the most content when the majority of writers were in secondary school and as such had the most free time. The best thing we've ever done for N-E in the past x years was to make the NEShow, but that dropped off after a few episodes for the same reasons.

And to answer Bob, no, we're not making any money anymore, even before google adsense dropped us just because we have threads talking about games like Catherine.

• Thanks 1

And to answer Bob, no, we're not making any money anymore, even before google adsense dropped us just because we have threads talking about games like Catherine.

Dirty, filthy Catherine....

I'd be happy to chip in a couple of pounds each month towards costs if it would help? I'm sure others would too?

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, Shorty said:

Yeah we've toyed with that before, not sure best way to implement it...

Pass a hat round next meet?

52 minutes ago, MoogleViper said:

Pass a hat round next meet?

If anything is getting passed around at the meet its you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ashley said:

If anything is getting passed around at the meet its you.

I'll look forward to it.

PLEASE.

We need an animated gif of the Nintendo Switch Online: NES sarcasm handclap. As a smiley.

On 21/09/2018 at 2:17 AM, Sméagol said:

PLEASE.

We need an animated gif of the Nintendo Switch Online: NES sarcasm handclap. As a smiley.

On 21/09/2018 at 9:47 AM, Ashley said:

If you find some way of ripping it 😋

Not sure if you still want this, but if so...

Po6bfBA.gif

Kinda hard to see when it's smiley size though. :heh:
Here's the original:

QHQsLit.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ashley said:

What do people think? Is it clear enough at that size?

Great stuff though @RedShell!

For what it's worth, I can make it out.

But my eyesight is good enough that I can tell you what number a bus is from the next stop down. So don't go on just my crazy vision.

But I'll tell you this, I would actually use that smiley. Sarcastic clap is the best thing about NES Online.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Hmm smiley or reaction though?

Can the reactions be animated?

Because without the animation, Sarky Clap feels a tad pointless. Even if the sentiment is better suited to a reaction.

• Thanks 1

No.  We shouldn't have it.  NOBODY would actually want it.

Spoiler

Gimme it right now!!

• Haha 3