NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Yeah, it depends if Ottley is in on the joke, ReZ. He might not be. He doesn't know the real internet you like we do.

And it's not even that great a cover (relatively) ...blood/'bad-assery' =/= 'most important work of art' or whatever you called it :P .

Oh he loves me. He specifically asked for me by name once to defend him against spammers. :p

Anyway, if it came off sounding like a joke then....well...it....wasn't....a....

Who here watched the Wonder Woman Pliot? I did just now.

I can see why it wasn't picked up as it didn't have that X Factor needed for a TV show/the writing wasn't up to par. The costume was "..." but then it added in context / when you realise why it is the way it is.

I actually quite like the radical rethinking of the Wonder Woman concept. She was such a dubious hero, like I was on Kelly Brook's side half the time - why should Wondy be allowed to go around beating people up/killing people (I gasped at that bit!)? Yeah she was trying to stop a drug baroness but then does the end justify the means?

And I think the angle of her running Themiscyra Industries could've been really interesting (though we don't actually know what it produces - we just know the merchandise division funds her superheroics).

She didn't feel much like Wonder Woman from the comics, but I actually quite liked the personality they gave her. Felt realistic and imperfect, which I guess was the point.

Basically I think a lot of the concepts are worth merit - I liked her splitting of her life into three, her trying to set up Facebook (I am metaphorical crai at that bit), her "Ugh, just deal with it!" attitude etc. Just wasn't executed that successfully.

Not ATROCIOUS (lol at the wire-work not having been removed though) but not great either - but as a rethink of Wonder Woman it was kinda interesting, and I would've liked to see where they went with it (i.e her actual origins).

----

A stunning thing to read/see.

Edited by Paj!

Can you guys think of any good superhero sacrifice stories? The kind where the hero has to make a big sacrifice to save the planet etc.

I just really seem to be in the mood for that kind of story at moment but all I can really think of at the moment is The Death of Superman and Hal Jordan in Final Night. I mean i think it's a pretty common comic story so it really shouldn't be this hard to think of some more but I'm drawing a blank.

Has fco left the book then if Rus is on colours?

I think he's due back after the Cory Walker issues, he's followed Capullo to Batman as well though

Can you guys think of any good superhero sacrifice stories? The kind where the hero has to make a big sacrifice to save the planet etc.

I just really seem to be in the mood for that kind of story at moment but all I can really think of at the moment is The Death of Superman and Hal Jordan in Final Night. I mean i think it's a pretty common comic story so it really shouldn't be this hard to think of some more but I'm drawing a blank.

All-Star Superman comes to mind, if not a typical sacrifice. Oh, and Final Crisis lol. I know you hate it, don't worry. It does technically still count though. :p

Thing is the concept of hero sacrifice is used a lot, but often not as the main point of a story...like a lot of heroes end up dying in sacrifice during events and stuff, but it often isn't the main point. Cable sacrifices himself in Second Coming for example.

Edited by Paj!

Any that arent as well known then? I have most of these already (and Paj listing books he knows I dont like doesnt help either)

Civil war? OMD? (Lol) ... Dark Pheonix saga? Most daredevil stories?

Civil war? OMD? (Lol) ... Dark Pheonix saga? Most daredevil stories?

Edited by Dan_Dare
Automerged Doublepost

Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope is a great comic with some epic self sacrifice. (At least it was when I read it almost 10 years ago)

Oh...also the Onslaught 'Epic'/Storyline from the mid-nineties in Marvel. You may have read that though.

517Sdsh-h5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a soft spot for the story - first big event I ever read (it started as I started reading at 8 years old), and I didn't have to collect a million issues for it cause I just bought the UK colector's editions which collected stuff all together anyway. I don't think it's bad. Might be blinded by nostalgia...and certainly it's more interesting in the early stages of the story, when you aren't sure who to trust/what's going on.

So I gave my friend a copy of Animal Man and she really loved it. She asked for more comics. Think I'm going to get her Swamp Thing (she LOVES Mucha and the front cover is completely Mucha) and maybe grab her Wonder Woman (because I neeeeeed it to be good and it's a little more conventional superhero). Arrrgh, I thought WW was out this week. Was really looking forward to it.

I read Justice League International. Really enjoyed it. Surprised by that.

And I need to say again, Animal Man was rad as fuck.

Hmm, I agree to an extent but the writing is incredible. Plus Marvel just announced they're changing it to a 450 issue maxi series.

------------

I had a thought about Miles Morales last night. Its just a crazy idea, but I wondered how the first issue was gonna play out, how he has powers, how he is going to have a link or connection to the Marvel U and pondered that maybe...

He is Nick Fury's grandson.

Possvsssible.

I hope Bendis takes onboard the complaints that he needs more of his own voice when he's Spider-Man. From what ive read Miles seems to be his own character when he's himself but I dont just want to read a near exact copy of Peter Spider-Man for this new book.

Just starting Grant Morrison's Animal Man. It's shaping up to be good, despite the first bit feeling slightly dated.

Just starting Grant Morrison's Animal Man. It's shaping up to be good, despite the first bit feeling slightly dated.

It'll blow your face off with it's restraint.

It's actually brilliant.

The whole thing is that he's really normal/this was a character no one had an opinion on before. / Morrison had never done 'his view on a DC hero' before now. So it's all gradual and stuff. Issue 5 is where you realise. You realise what is to come.

And everything you see has bearing later on.