NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

(Basically what Action Comics' Lex failed miserably to get across. Honestly, I might have been more believable and sincere if Lex's little speech hadn't come from a multi-billionaire megalomaniac. Lex gave this speech and all I could think was that the ultra rich of this world are just as much a parasite as any Superman. OMG, Action Comics was SOOOO pathetic. Honestly, you've got your leftist leanings, 'defend the poor' but COME ON!!, that shit is so superficial AND puerile when you have the power to shatter worlds. What about the structural violence?)

Wasn't that the point, that Lex embodies Superman's point about the rich living under a different set of rules?

What do you mean power to shatter worlds? In the sense the military have bombs, or in Superman's case? If the latter, it seemed he didn't really have power to shatter worlds, he seemed quite depowered in comparison to his normal appearances. (Presumably the story will transpire that he gets stronger and stronger, and finds it harder and harder to stay true to his leftist ideals.) Anyway, I don't think it's that puerile to partake in the deconstruction of capitalism -- it's one of the hurdles the western world should really get round to jumping, given this recession is pretty much now a depression -- especially since he's actually doing things that could have a lasting effect, rather than just talking about stuff (which can be puerile). Scaring within an inch of his life a CEO who buys child labour is as legitimate a "superhero" act than fighting aliens is. [i'm not really sure what you're getting at by superficial? If you have superpowers it's superficial to care about the millions of Americans living in poverty / the child labourers being exploited?]

What about what structural violence? Do you mean that in relation to AC, or MoW?

I just have minimal time for war stories, especially American ones. Multiple reasons why, the most fundamental being I just don't want to read a comic where most characters are likely/bound to be unimaginative machoistic dicks who beat up queer people at high school.

Final reveals for X-Men blue teams:

x4.jpg

The only real surprises there are Domino and Shaw. I think they could have been a fair bit more dramatic with both blue / gold lineups, unless there's a big surprise in the Gold set we've not seen.

Justice League finally came! It was good/enjoyable. Lee is an undeniably pleasing artist/he's one of The Definitives. People felt not enough happened in this right? I'm glad they're taking time to build up the origin actually - I'm more interested in a new take on the mythos than Justice League fights X for the sake of the world etc. And when that happens, it'll be all the more sweet with the team dynamic and relationships having been established.

Also..Marvel-Wise - Thunderbolts continues to be awesome. I love how their own 'schism' didn't need to be an event and was just half the team like backing away and leaving while the others weren't looking (effectively). Come on Moonstone. When will people stop trusting her to be anything other than self-serving? She stuns and you can tell she gives good conversation though.

(I love how it's already in the stars she'll fuck Boomerang)

Sweeeet, gonna get Stormwatch. Paul Cornell actually moved to 20 minutes away and he goes to my comic shop now so i might casually see him one day.

!!!!

He is now a standing order customer! So I have a signed Stormwatch waiting for me. :p

Also..Marvel-Wise - Thunderbolts continues to be awesome. I love how their own 'schism' didn't need to be an event and was just half the team like backing away and leaving while the others weren't looking (effectively). Come on Moonstone. When will people stop trusting her to be anything other than self-serving? She stuns and you can tell she gives good conversation though.

(I love how it's already in the stars she'll fuck Boomerang)

Latest Tbolts was SICK. Not sure why there was a Fear Itself banner on the front though. Well....I am sure, but it was pointless.

P.S. My Flashpoint Batman figure arrived. <3

There wasn't one on 163.

Are you talking about 162?

163 has the rogue team + Cap and Namor on the front.

Justice League finally came! It was good/enjoyable. Lee is an undeniably pleasing artist/he's one of The Definitives. People felt not enough happened in this right? I'm glad they're taking time to build up the origin actually - I'm more interested in a new take on the mythos than Justice League fights X for the sake of the world etc. And when that happens, it'll be all the more sweet with the team dynamic and relationships having been established.

My complaint was that not enough happened for a #1 issue thats basically ushering in a new universe, otherwise it was a very enjoyable comic. If #2 has the same issues you probably wouldnt hear me complaining, I just think a first issue this important should have been a bit more.

Yeah I just saw and realised (didnt realise it was out). Great cover. I havn't read that one yet. :p

Wasn't that the point, that Lex embodies Superman's point about the rich living under a different set of rules?

What do you mean power to shatter worlds? In the sense the military have bombs, or in Superman's case? If the latter, it seemed he didn't really have power to shatter worlds, he seemed quite depowered in comparison to his normal appearances. (Presumably the story will transpire that he gets stronger and stronger, and finds it harder and harder to stay true to his leftist ideals.) Anyway, I don't think it's that puerile to partake in the deconstruction of capitalism -- it's one of the hurdles the western world should really get round to jumping, given this recession is pretty much now a depression -- especially since he's actually doing things that could have a lasting effect, rather than just talking about stuff (which can be puerile). Scaring within an inch of his life a CEO who buys child labour is as legitimate a "superhero" act than fighting aliens is. [i'm not really sure what you're getting at by superficial? If you have superpowers it's superficial to care about the millions of Americans living in poverty / the child labourers being exploited?]

What about what structural violence? Do you mean that in relation to AC, or MoW?

I'm not talking about Superman's motivations, though. I'm talking about Lex's. They are crap. He could have a valid philosophical reason for wanting to destroy Superman but instead he's just a megalomaniac. It's so black and white.

I don't mean literally shatter worlds (although I'm sure that can/will happen). I meant it as a demonstration of Superman's powers, at the very least relative to normal people; even though he isn't as strong as he used to be he is still pretty limitless. And he's not deconstructing Capitalism in any sense of the word. He's busting bad guys and saving innocents (until the next bad guy takes his place and the next lot of people need saving). Honestly, if you can actually point to any instance where he is doing any deconstructing that'd be grand. That's why it's puerile, it doesn't understand the world we live in. Hardly a surprise, most people are happy with their own assumptions.

He's not even left wing, he's a totalitarian. Judging people according to the law, but where do these laws come from? Where does he stand on marijuana? Does he bust people in some states and not in others? Bribery is an accepted part of many cultures, what's he going to do to them? Enforce what he thinks is right? The American Way?

As for structural violence, he should start by throwing Rupert Murdoch (Or his DC equivalent) into the phantom zone for the racist, sexist, homophobic, normative bullshit that he emits and normalises. If Superman was a persona more akin to Lady Gaga, then he could subvert structural violence. At the least he should go on a Pride march. Or raise the profile of disabled bodies (Honestly, the politics of superheroes should have raised this point already...probably has done with Barbara Gordon, but only to the reader, not the DC universe). Or take on a myriad different causes. But no. He punches bad guys and saves innocents, and like I said only until the the next bad guy takes his place and the next lot of people need saving.

Superman doesn't promote the left wing because never attempts to understand anything. He never asks questions. He just does. Faster than a speeding bullet.

Now I remember why I only like Superman when he's getting beaten the crap out of.

I just have minimal time for war stories, especially American ones. Multiple reasons why, the most fundamental being I just don't want to read a comic where most characters are likely/bound to be unimaginative machoistic dicks who beat up queer people at high school.

Have no idea where you got any of that from.

Everyone read Secret Avengers 16 if they want an example of excellent comic storytelling in a single issue. It's standalone, but the scope feels much bigger. You can imagine a story like it being dragged out over several issues with a few needless details added in. Warren Ellis is a great.

Ellis = Amazing.

That issue is how you do one shots.

And cool front covers.

And cool, minimalistic CLEAN artwork.

And team dynamics.

And dialogue.

Yeah it was like a perfect issue. I'm stunned by the image of Moon Knight gliding over the city. The artwork really emphasised the emptiness.

Everyone's character SHONE through, it wasn't forced or awkward like in JLI/other team books I've read of late. The plot was there, and we worked it all out over the story, it didn't have to be fully explained in one, and yet we learn the complete fundamental science behind it all! Ellis is life.

I'm not talking about Superman's motivations, though. I'm talking about Lex's. They are crap. He could have a valid philosophical reason for wanting to destroy Superman but instead he's just a megalomaniac. It's so black and white.

He's always just been a megalomaniac in oldDC, but presumably will be written to have some sort of reason to have a vendetta against Superman, otherwise I agree it will just be "..."/bad writing for the sake of nostalgia. The first issue hints that he's xenophobic (ie hate/scared of aliens) but then, I doubt Morrison would do that, since it's essentially a repeat of New X-Men, where the villain is ultimately irrational and annoying tension between mutant and human.

I just enjoyed that it felt stunning / was well-written megalomania.

I don't mean literally shatter worlds (although I'm sure that can/will happen). I meant it as a demonstration of Superman's powers, at the very least relative to normal people; even though he isn't as strong as he used to be he is still pretty limitless. And he's not deconstructing Capitalism in any sense of the word. He's busting bad guys and saving innocents (until the next bad guy takes his place and the next lot of people need saving). Honestly, if you can actually point to any instance where he is doing any deconstructing that'd be grand. That's why it's puerile, it doesn't understand the world we live in. Hardly a surprise, most people are happy with their own assumptions.

He's not even left wing, he's a totalitarian. Judging people according to the law, but where do these laws come from? Where does he stand on marijuana? Does he bust people in some states and not in others? Bribery is an accepted part of many cultures, what's he going to do to them? Enforce what he thinks is right? The American Way?

As for structural violence, he should start by throwing Rupert Murdoch (Or his DC equivalent) into the phantom zone for the racist, sexist, homophobic, normative bullshit that he emits and normalises. If Superman was a persona more akin to Lady Gaga, then he could subvert structural violence. At the least he should go on a Pride march. Or raise the profile of disabled bodies (Honestly, the politics of superheroes should have raised this point already...probably has done with Barbara Gordon, but only to the reader, not the DC universe). Or take on a myriad different causes. But no. He punches bad guys and saves innocents, and like I said only until the the next bad guy takes his place and the next lot of people need saving.

Superman doesn't promote the left wing because never attempts to understand anything. He never asks questions. He just does. Faster than a speeding bullet.

You make good points. It's pretty hard to say anything meaningful / make predictions on the back of one issue, but I do feel (given Morrison actually thinks about what he's writing, and isn't American) the series will be a very different take on Superman, in that it won't just rehash "Truth, Justice and the American way!" &c.

He's always just been a megalomaniac in oldDC, but presumably will be written to have some sort of reason to have a vendetta against Superman, otherwise I agree it will just be "..."/bad writing for the sake of nostalgia. The first issue hints that he's xenophobic (ie hate/scared of aliens) but then, I doubt Morrison would do that, since it's essentially a repeat of New X-Men, where the villain is ultimately irrational and annoying tension between mutant and human.

I just enjoyed that it felt stunning / was well-written megalomania.

Maybe my expectations were a little off. I got the impression from Superboy: Boy of Steel that his motivation was to have humanity progress under its own power. That's a Lex I can sympathies with, even root for.

While the Lex bit wasn't particularly badly written, I do think the opening with Superman was. Incredibly so.

You make good points. It's pretty hard to say anything meaningful / make predictions on the back of one issue, but I do feel (given Morrison actually thinks about what he's writing, and isn't American) the series will be a very different take on Superman, in that it won't just rehash "Truth, Justice and the American way!" &c.

I'm prepared to follow it through at least the initial arc (and actually I loved some of the art). Maybe I'll warm to it. I just needed a stronger indication that this was going to be a deeper Superman and that just wasn't there in the first issue. And next to Animal Man #1 and Swamp Thing #1 the lack of standout material was even more evident.

Hawk & Dove is fine. No glaringly bad Liefeldisms. Story is nothing to write home about, but entertaining enough. I already hate Hawk, but it's fine.

Rez was telling me about Liefeld being duff. I was in Gosh less than 60 seconds before I heard the cashier lady talking to a guy about how lame he was.

I smiled.

Hawk & Dove is fine. No glaringly bad Liefeldisms. Story is nothing to write home about, but entertaining enough. I already hate Hawk, but it's fine.

The worst art of the issue is actually the cover. Which makes no sense, as it's what you need to use to sell the comic...

I don't understand Hawk's body, it looks really solid, but rubbery. I can imagine it as a toy, and how it feels.

I love Dove's friendship with Deadman. Just as a thing. I assume it was dealt with in Brightest Day, but I stopped reading that after 2 issues as it was dull as.

I enjoyed Batgirl. The art feels great.

---

Swamp Thing is the most stunning thing I've read. The art is so crisp and clean and great to look at. Loads of interesting pages with stunning lay-out. Yes. Place it in.

Swamp Thing is definitely my top pick. I loved it. Just felt spectacular.

Also really enjoyed Batgirl. Not sure how not really reading much with Oracle has influenced that. I loved the dialogue she had with herself in he head. "I did?" *I completely did!*

Do you mean "I'm your worst nightmare"?

I thought the point of that is that it's so cliché it's funny / gives the feeling he's a n00b.

I was actually thinking of

It aint Superman!

It's just...fist gnawingly terrible, I wanted to curl up and wish it away.

I was wondering why he called them rats. Pigs, I'd get. Rats? lolwut?

Batwing feels the most stunning thing. Never judge a cover, because I'm so held under. The art. The ambiance. The unexplored territory. Yes.

---

OMAC is the worst comic book I've ever read. I don't understand how that passed the editorial team... Just awful awful artwork, felt like it was written by a 12 year old, or thought up in the 60s.

---

Static Shock is meh/boring. He annoyed me. Not worth going out your way to read really.

---

Christ, read the first 3 pages of Green Arrow and had to stop because it was so bad.

Edited by chairdriver
Automerged Doublepost