NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Yeah, it was surprisingly dark and yeah, moving.

Just watch the first episode of Young Justice. Uuuurm, why did no one tell me Superboy was voiced by Nolan North? It's hilarious.

Also, an update on the Joe Mad Avenging Spiderman thing,

UPDATE: Joe Madueira will be back! They are doing that “alternate arc” thing… on off, on off, on off… as they’ve always planned.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/16/joe-madueira-off-avenging-spider-man-greg-land-on/

Just watch the first episode of Young Justice. Uuuurm, why did no one tell me Superboy was voiced by Nolan North? It's hilarious.

Did you like it then?

Yeah, Aqualad is pretty awesome (apart from his webbed hands; I don't care that they make sense, they're gross). Also, I can never get enough of Kid Flash.

Only thing that was like SRSLY? is the whole Martian Manhunter's niece. But I won't judge until I see more.

Look forward to seeing the rest.

My one thing was that I kind of just wished they'd straight up made it a Justice League show but those characters actually do make quite a few appearances which is good. Well that and having quite liked what I read of the original Young Justice comics I would have prefered it to have been those characters and not the original Teen Titans with a few extras.

Yeah Miss Martian isnt brilliant, it looks like they are sticking with her comic origin though so when that comes out later she should get more interesting.

I thought there was a Justice League show?

I didn't know there was a difference between Teen Titans and Young Justice. Except maybe YJ is a little younger.

Do you know what day this and Green Lantern air in America?

Young Justice is either Sat or Sunday night I think.

Yeah there was Justice League and Justice League Unlimited but those were so awesome that I kind of wish they'd just carried on.

The original Teen Titans were Dick Grayson, Wally West, Roy Harper etc. Young Justice was Tim Drake, Bart Allen etc before they became the Teen Titans.

I was like that (and still am with some comics) but I think you've just got to learn to read comics differently from books and stuff. A bit of a weird concept but yeah.

I'm not sure how I can read this differently. I look at the panel, read the words and move on.

Young Justice (the comic/team) was amazing, one of the first DC ones I followed when I got into comics in 1998.

I loved how it just told jokes. Like ad adventure was a really muted/dour past incarnation of Mr.Myxlzptlk being accidentally summoned in a techno-magic ceremony (never elaborated on) and then just trying to work out why humans found things funny, by ruining a halloween party YJ were attending, but not actually doing anything.

And I remember being so confused by a line in that very issue at the time - a girl says to Robin, "Is that a batarang in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?". I kept wondering what she was on about. :p I was 7/8, deal with it.

Young_Justice_3.jpg

I remember genuinely LOLing at some of the jokes - especially Impulse. In one issue he gets a concussion and thinks he's Batman. It's amaze.

*sittin reminiscin*

Young Justice (the comic/team) was amazing, one of the first DC ones I followed when I got into comics in 1998.

I loved how it just told jokes. Like ad adventure was a really muted/dour past incarnation of Mr.Myxlzptlk being accidentally summoned in a techno-magic ceremony (never elaborated on) and then just trying to work out why humans found things funny, by ruining a halloween party YJ were attending, but not actually doing anything.

And I remember being so confused by a line in that very issue at the time - a girl says to Robin, "Is that a batarang in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?". I kept wondering what she was on about. :p I was 7/8, deal with it.

Young_Justice_3.jpg

I remember genuinely LOLing at some of the jokes - especially Impulse. In one issue he gets a concussion and thinks he's Batman. It's amaze.

*sittin reminiscin*

right who the hell is that imp?! He showed up in that Superman paperback I read that had the Joker ruling the universe. Also again in Superman Past and Future.

New Marvel TV series to take place in Avengers universe

ABC is getting into the Marvel business in a big way and one of the series they're developing—alongside Guillermo del Toro's Hulk—is A.K.A. Jessica Jones, based on Brian Michael Bendis' stunning Alias. And it'll take place firmly within the universe established by Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

In the comics from Bendis and artist Michael Gaydos, Jessica Jones was a retired superhero who opened her own private investigation firm and worked cases that brought her back into contact with the world she left behind. Screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg (the Twilight saga, Dexter) has been working on Jessica Jones for a while, and she revealed that her vision for the series would sit smack dab in the middle of Marvel's cinematic universe:

"As we go along things will alter in terms of what is made available to us, but we're definitely in that universe. We are in no way denying that that universe exists. And as much as I can I'm going to pull everything in from there that I can use."

Adding that Tony Stark and Stark Industries are in the latest version of the pilot, Rosenberg does say that roping in other members of Marvel's comic-book continuity can get a little dicey:

"It's very tricky navigation there. You can't mention one guy because Fox has the rights to that guy and Universal has the rights to the other one. There are a lot of boundaries on who you can and can't use."

But she did score a pair of heavy hitters: Luke Cage, who goes on to develop a relationship with Jones in the comics, and Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel, currently an Avenger (and one of the most powerful ones at that):

"Basically, I wanted those three guys—then I would have a series. Everyone else we can be digging into lesser known characters or taking known characters and renaming them."

As with all things in TV development, only time will tell if A.K.A. Jessica Jones goes any farther than a script. But it's promising.

http://blastr.com/2011/11/confirmed-new-marvel-tv-s.php

looks like Land is only doing one issue of Avenging Spider-Man

Leinil Yu is on issue 5 and Mitch Breitweiser is on issue 6 before Joe Mad returns

looks like Land is only doing one issue of Avenging Spider-Man

Leinil Yu is on issue 5 and Mitch Breitweiser is on issue 6 before Joe Mad returns

That is great news.

And....

What Happenstance posted is even better! Fucking fantastic news!

Anyone noticed Marvel cancelling just about every title under the sun? Does anyone else think a big relaunch could be on the way?

I think they need to just stop hiring shit artists, start printing on better paper and get rid of their shitty $3.99 price point.

Yeah ive seen all the cancelled books, I had wondered if it was because they were gearing up for something but I think its more likely that they're just having a bit of a clearout of the poorly selling titles.

As for the $3.99 price, I dont think they'd keep doing it if it wasnt making them money and they are a business so if its working for them then of course they will keep it. I may not like it but I do understand it.

Syfy Orders Script Based on DC Comics' 'Booster Gold'

Syfy is looking to bring Booster Gold to life on the small screen.

our editor recommends

CBS Picks Up Greg Berlanti, Greg Malins Multicamera Comedy

Greg Berlanti Sells Cop Drama to CBS (Exclusive)

Fox Adds Legal Drama 'Guilty' From Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim

The NBCUniversal cable network has ordered a pilot script for the one-hour drama based on the DC Comics franchise.

The project, which hails from Greg Berlanti's Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television, will count Berlanti (Brothers & Sisters, No Ordinary Family, Green Lantern) as an executive producer. Fringe's Andrew Kreisberg, who collaborated with Berlanti on ABC's Eli Stone, is on board to pen the script and executive produce. DC Comics will also receive an EP credit.

The story will center on Booster Gold, a washed-up athlete from the future who travels back to the present in hopes of becoming the greatest super hero of all time. Instead of chasing criminals, however, his main priority is chasing fame and money. But Booster Gold discovers that being a hero takes more than just a megawatt smile, and that the future doesn’t happen without first protecting the present.

The comic book character made an appearance in the 10th and final season of the CW's Smallville, where it gained still more fans.

Berlanti and Kreisberg, whose other credits include Warehouse 13 and Red Faction: Origins, are both repped by WME.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-booster-gold-greg-berlanti-261801

Hmmm. You seen GL yet Happenstance?

Its a fucking "sneak preview" and the series doesn't actually continue until Spring. :/

Nope I havent yet. I know you guys said its good and I will get around to it eventually but I just find the style they're using off putting.

Just read The Walking Dead #91 - great issue. Some awesome character development recently, its just been firing on all cylindirs. The ending was cool and it looks like this is the start of the build up for the next story arc/story elements.

Incidentally, how is everyone enjoying Season 2? I am really loving it. Darryl is a fucking amazing character, I hope he is brought into the comic soon - he would suit it incredibly well with his iconic crossbow. :D Also...is it me,.....I don't know what it is about her, but any time Andrea is on screen I am just astounded by her sass and beauty. I find myself wanting desperately to pork her.

Invincible #85 - Awesome. Artwork is very good for the most part. Its amusing and they discuss some cool stuff.

Next issue should be very interesting. It'll be cool if they have a proper bloody battle....but...scary and stuff.

They say in the letters column that Ottley's pages for #87 are amazing, so I'm really looking forward to that issue and the following issues. :D

Kick-Ass 2 #5 - Very solid issue indeed. After the last one or two where it felt like they were just going as OTT as possible this issue felt a little more grounded, a little more impactful and it was like "Okay, thats not OTT but thats gone too far" in a GOOD way. Cool shit.

And not worth mentioning as no one else cares but I read Kirkman/Capullo's last issue of Haunt (with 5 pencillers). Obviously the artwork was questionable in places, however the story was good. I am really looking forward to seeing what the new team bring to the table. The covers are absolutely phenomenal so I am hopeful.

So many AAAA titles left to read as I've got last weeks too....Batman, Aquaman, GLC, GLNG, Justice League, Spidey, Hulkx2 aaaaahhhhh.

Just read The Walking Dead #91 - great issue. Some awesome character development recently, its just been firing on all cylindirs. The ending was cool and it looks like this is the start of the build up for the next story arc/story elements.

Incidentally, how is everyone enjoying Season 2? I am really loving it. Darryl is a fucking amazing character, I hope he is brought into the comic soon - he would suit it incredibly well with his iconic crossbow. :D Also...is it me,.....I don't know what it is about her, but any time Andrea is on screen I am just astounded by her sass and beauty. I find myself wanting desperately to pork her.

Invincible #85 - Awesome. Artwork is very good for the most part. Its amusing and they discuss some cool stuff.

Next issue should be very interesting. It'll be cool if they have a proper bloody battle....but...scary and stuff.

They say in the letters column that Ottley's pages for #87 are amazing, so I'm really looking forward to that issue and the following issues. :D

Kick-Ass 2 #5 - Very solid issue indeed. After the last one or two where it felt like they were just going as OTT as possible this issue felt a little more grounded, a little more impactful and it was like "Okay, thats not OTT but thats gone too far" in a GOOD way. Cool shit.

And not worth mentioning as no one else cares but I read Kirkman/Capullo's last issue of Haunt (with 5 pencillers). Obviously the artwork was questionable in places, however the story was good. I am really looking forward to seeing what the new team bring to the table. The covers are absolutely phenomenal so I am hopeful.

So many AAAA titles left to read as I've got last weeks too....Batman, Aquaman, GLC, GLNG, Justice League, Spidey, Hulkx2 aaaaahhhhh.

If you think Haunt was ott with the artists, check the credits for Hulk #2, 11 artists because Silvestri was hospitalised!

TWD has been good,

I'm glad they're adding in another outside threat, still not sure if I like them being in the same place for extended periods of time (20 issues in the community now)

Have you been reading Super Dinosaur Rez? Love the trademark Kirkman cliffhanger at the end of the arc!

Oh yeah and the Fear Itself point 1 2 and 3 only serve to say a massive screw you to the people who bought the event issues, Marvel hit a reset button.

Bucky not dead, Thor not dead and Paris restored by Odin and only the Bucky one was done well

Yeah these Fear Itself things are a bit fucking stupid.

As for Super Dinosaur - fucking love it, its immense. Its like the best OTT kids TV show ever. Although Invincible issue said issue 6 was "Out Now" and I don't have it....not sure if its an error in the issue or my comic guy. Maybe its out next week.

Read the new Wolverine and the X-Men issue earlier. I think i'll give it one more issue but then I may drop it. Ive never been a big fan of Bachalos art but I never dropped books because of it either but with this one I can barely tell whats going on most of the time and if its going to carry on that way then i dont see the point in reading the book at all. Its a shame because this was the direction for the X-Men that I wanted as well, i'll just have to wait until a new artist comes on the book I think.

So bloody annoying I wrote a well long post yesterday and internet went down and Chrome didn't save it (always did on my PC, but not on this netbook?)

Anyway.

I too was severely underwhelmed by Wolverine and The X-Men. I love Aaron, but....this was probably the weakest thing I've read of his. It was just boring. I know it was an issue 1 but it was just meh. And Bachalo....seriously you get Bachalo and all you make him draw is talking.

Hopefully issue 2 is better which my comic guy must have forgotten to give me.

Speaking of Aaron I thought Hulk #1 was good/okay and #2 was great. I like where its going and I like the concept and the 11 artists was a lot easier to stomach than the few on New Guardians or the several on Haunt.

And finally how is everyone liking Batman?

I think it is mind blowingly well written. Being new to Scott Snyder I don't know what his other stuff is like, but I love how intelligent but easy to grasp, fun and cool his writing is. Coupled with Capullo's scratchy-MacFarlane-free inks and its a fucking joy/bit of a masterpiece. I havnt' read a giant amount of Batman but this is shaping up to be my favourite Batman thing I've read.

Oh yeah this is easily the best Batman in years I think. As ive mentioned a few times in this thread, id gotten bored of Batman and was only really reading books about the other Bat family characters but Scott Snyders Batman has drawn me straight back in.

Issue #2 of Wolverine and the X-Men is the one im complaining about with not being able to tell whats going on so i'll be interested to see what you think, especially with you being a Bachalo fan.