NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

I was tempted to pick up SoX myself, as well as HoX/PoX. I was watching some comic/omnibus related YouTube videos and was close to pulling the trigger after it got me in the mood. 

Now that Hickman has finished his run on the X-Men, I really wouldn't mind reading how it all went.

I’ve been a bit up and down on it but I know I’m in the minority for that, most love it. What I don’t like is how it’s been collected. There are too many different versions of books like the Dawn of X stuff and then just X-men or how I found out after Hellfire Gala arrived today that the tpb I got is missing at least 6 issues from the event that are in the hard cover.

Its worth reading but just make sure you know what to get.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’ve been a bit up and down on it but I know I’m in the minority for that, most love it. What I don’t like is how it’s been collected. There are too many different versions of books like the Dawn of X stuff and then just X-men or how I found out after Hellfire Gala arrived today that the tpb I got is missing at least 6 issues from the event that are in the hard cover.

Its worth reading but just make sure you know what to get.

What you just said is why I didn't pick them up. When looking into it, it doesn't appear if there's a proper complete collection, with comics missing in some trades and lots of issues scattered across multiple books. I dunno why they couldn't have done a proper complete collection. 

Its a dangerous rabbit hole. I started looking at omnibus collections and I had to pull myself away. I'm very surprised there isn't a complete collection of the Messiah War/Complex/Second Coming storyline.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What you just said is why I didn't pick them up. When looking into it, it doesn't appear if there's a proper complete collection, with comics missing in some trades and lots of issues scattered across multiple books. I dunno why they couldn't have done a proper complete collection. 

Its a dangerous rabbit hole. I started looking at omnibus collections and I had to pull myself away. I'm very surprised there isn't a complete collection of the Messiah War/Complex/Second Coming storyline.

I expect those will come at some point. They seem to sit in a weird point in X-Men history before they’d started complete collections for most stories but where they also haven’t quite reached in the older stuff that they went back to merge into bigger books.

I’m just finishing off my Heroes Reborn omni at the moment (which not surprisingly hasn’t been great but is at least picking up now I’m near the end) and then will move onto X of Swords. I need to carry on with Jason Aaron’s Thor series after that, especially with Love & Thunder coming soon.

Yeah Heroes Reborn The Return is still in print as an omni and I think the tpb complete version hasn’t been out of print for too long so probably wouldn’t be too hard to find.

• Thanks 1

Couple of Spider-man omnibus' to add to the collection. The JMS run was the first main Marvel continuity Spider-man I collected which is why I decided to upgrade to the omnibus from my trades.

large-1689003.jpg?1642321352large-6983244.jpg?1650259534

Added another one to the order as it was a good deal and I know how hard it can be to track down Marvel omnibus' when they go out of print. I was hoping to get the Micheline & Larsen as well but no luck on the stock.

I haven't read a lot of Roger Stern's stuff so I'm looking forward to it as I know how beloved it is.

large-8569352.jpg?1642236714

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Happenstance did you ever read any of the Boom! Studios Power Rangers stuff? The deluxe editions look lovely.

Yeah I did and its really good, well worth getting. I was planning on getting those deluxe editions myself but the early ones are out of printand they go for hundreds second hand now so I'll probably get the trades instead. You can get the deluxe editions through a kickstarter but it's expensive because its all at once.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I did and its really good, well worth getting. I was planning on getting those deluxe editions myself but the early ones are out of printand they go for hundreds second hand now so I'll probably get the trades instead. You can get the deluxe editions through a kickstarter but it's expensive because its all at once.

Yeah, I watched a video about the deluxe editions but sadly they don't include some of the early Go Go Power Rangers issues. I mainly want to read Shattered Grid storyline.

Finished reading the Annihilation Omnibus today and thought it was amazing. I've never been a big fan of the cosmic side of the Marvel universe but this did a great job reintroducing all those characters for the modern era and telling a really interesting war story. When Annihilation Conquest gets a reprint ill definitely pick it up as I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

ljguCsA.jpg

Gotta love new omnibus day! I was planning on just getting the two Star Wars books but Infinite Crisis came back in stock for the first time this year so I didn't want to risk missing out on it again.

• Like 1

9T0QCEh.jpg

Finally got myself a proper bookstand so I can read these omnibus a bit more comfortably without leaning over and staring right down.

• Like 1

Alan Grant died this morning. Guy lived just down the street from me. He did a few Batman comics and he was one of the guys behind Anarky.

Edited by martinist

@Hero-of-Time did you ever read the X-men Inferno event (the original)? I'm just looking at ordering this month's omnibus' and thought I might finally get some X-men ones to start replacing my trades. I've never read Inferno before as any if the demon/limbo side of X-men didn't interest me but I know it's a big story.

Nah. I still wouldn't mind picking them up at some point. Problem is that once I start I end up going down the rabbit hole and picking up more than I originally wanted. :D 

I was reading about the latest Marvel/X-Men event and it sounds like a very one sided fight. X-Men vs Eternals, with the Avengers being involved as well. Mutants just can't catch a break.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. I still wouldn't mind picking them up at some point. Problem is that once I start I end up going down the rabbit hole and picking up more than I originally wanted. :D 

I was reading about the latest Marvel/X-Men event and it sounds like a very one sided fight. X-Men vs Eternals, with the Avengers being involved as well. Mutants just can't catch a break.

I've given up on modern X-men again. I caught up with the Hickman trades and the first book after he left but I just don't enjoy this new status quo.

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've given up on modern X-men again. I caught up with the Hickman trades and the first book after he left but I just don't enjoy this new status quo.

Whole thing seems a bit weird. It feels a lot less ground than it used to be.

Got my X-Men omnibus order in. Quite a big one this month as I found some nice discounts:

large-4184531.jpg?1619938124large-9732069.jpg?1619936989large-7744796.jpg?1619936952large-9504092.jpg?1645738600large-8606158.jpg?1641284235large-9406437.jpg?1644142247large-4207596.jpg?1647894367large-5102323.jpg?1657308530

• Like 1

Boils my blood they renamed Onslaught to include Avengers. They are hardly in it. Hell, the Fantastic Four have more to do with it than Avengers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Boils my blood they renamed Onslaught to include Avengers. They are hardly in it. Hell, the Fantastic Four have more to do with it than Avengers.

I can only assume it's because it's the lead-in to Heroes Reborn and became more of a Marvel universe event but yeah, my trades of it still sit in the X-men section of my bookcase and not with the other Marvel event books.

I see House of M is finally getting an omnibus edition early next year. That's something I'm very interested in because I never read the whole story of that event.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see House of M is finally getting an omnibus edition early next year. That's something I'm very interested in because I never read the whole story of that event.

Yeah I've got it pre-ordered. I've got the main event in trade and I read the Spider-man tie ins as they were coming out but that was it so it'll be nice to read the rest.

Finally managed to order a copy of the 52 Omnibus for a reasonable (in Omnibus terms anyway) price. Been a while since I read all of that 52 series but I remember really enjoying it at the time. It was nice to basically spend a whole year with some lower tier characters you don't always follow.

8EinXZO.jpg