NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

My Amazon voucher came through. Decided to plug more gaps in my collection instead of moving onto the X-Men stuff for now.

the-flash-by-geoff-johns-book-three-geoffear-itself-scott-eaton-9781846534942.jpage-of-ultron-bryan-hitch-9781846535406.war-of-the-realms-jason-aaron-9781302914

Moving onto DC events this time. Now that the New 52 is being phased out it feels safe to get them again 😆 

9781401288587.jpg9781779506054.jpg4596799.jpg

And a (edit: few :p ) Amazing Spider-Man volumes for good measure

517O4XE2q0L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgB07JWH9KJ6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpgB07M8YM97S.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Edited by Happenstance

x-men-epic-collection-the-fate-of-the-phamazing-spider-man-worldwide-vol-8-dan-ssuperman-the-city-of-tomorrow-volume-1-jsuperman-the-city-of-tomorrow-volume-2-jthe-flash-by-geoff-johns-book-four-geoffflash-by-geoff-johns-book-five-geoff-johamazing-spider-man-by-nick-spencer-vol-3

Got paid so not surprising what I spent some money on. Also got a new bookcase to put them all in as my old one, while a lot nicer, was running out of space very quickly so this new one has two extra shelves.

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

x-force-epic-collection-x-cutioners-songx-factor-epic-collection-angel-of-death-x-factor-epic-collection-genesis-apocalyx-men-epic-collection-the-sentinels-livex-men-epic-collection-mutant-genesis-ian

Pay day yesterday so ordered some new Epic Collections that I needed.

I approve of these purchases. X-Cutioner’s Song is a great storyline. Stryfe was awesome. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I approve of these purchases. X-Cutioner’s Song is a great storyline. Stryfe was awesome. 

I can’t remember if I’ve actually read it before or not. I read a lot of the main X-Men stories digitally a few years ago but not sure on the more crossover heavy ones like X-Cutioner’s Song. Looking forward to getting into it anyway. Just finishing off reading the last X-Men Epic Collection I got which included both Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. Been great re-reading those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I can’t remember if I’ve actually read it before or not. I read a lot of the main X-Men stories digitally a few years ago but not sure on the more crossover heavy ones like X-Cutioner’s Song. Looking forward to getting into it anyway. Just finishing off reading the last X-Men Epic Collection I got which included both Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. Been great re-reading those.

Despite being into comics I’ve never actually read the Dark Phoenix Saga. Everything I know about it was in flashbacks in the comics or from the animated show. The Phoenix saga, both normal and dark, in the cartoon were awesome. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Despite being into comics I’ve never actually read the Dark Phoenix Saga. Everything I know about it was in flashbacks in the comics or from the animated show. The Phoenix saga, both normal and dark, in the cartoon were awesome. 

Yeah after finishing the Dark Phoenix Saga again I was planning on going back and rewatching the animated series episodes but decided to just watch the whole show all over again lol. It was a pretty faithful adaptation if I remember right.

• Like 1

B01N6JKNZJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

I'd always heard great things about Peter David's run on Incredible Hulk but never had a chance to read any of it. Annoyingly all the Epic Collection's of his run are now out of print but I at least managed to get this one on ebay for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

9780785195818.jpgdaredevil-epic-collection-purgatory-paranew-mutants-epic-collection-renewal-billx-factor-epic-collection-x-aminations-pe

Starting to use these Epic Collections now to fill in gaps not only in story history but book and character history as well. A lot of these characters I never read their initial runs and am just familiar with them in more modern comics. The Spider-Man book has been out of print for a while and just came up as back in stock on the 20th. We'll see if that order gets fullfilled or not though as no reprint has been announced so I don't know where Amazon are getting their stock from.

I did also get half way through ordering the three volumes of the Onslaught Saga as that's basically where all these Epic Collections end but the one site that had vol.1 at a reasonable price now has it as out of stock because I had to go change something during checkout so I'm waiting for them to re-list it lol.

• Like 1

The Onslaught saga is still my favourite comic book crossover, just narrowly beating the Age of Apocalypse. There's so much stuff going on and the end battle is stupidly epic. It's such a shame they ruined the Onslaught character by constantly bringing him back. The Red Skull version was the last straw.

Did you ever read Operation Zero Tolerance, @Happenstance? That was another great X-Men event that occurred after the Onslaught Saga.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

.Did you ever read Operation Zero Tolerance, @Happenstance? That was another great X-Men event that occurred after the Onslaught Saga.

I almost bought it a few weeks ago as part of the X-Men Milestones line but I decided to wait a bit to see if it appears later as an Epic Collection. For the most part the Epic Collections are just supposed to collect the vol.1s of their respective titles, roughly 1960s-1990s and then the Onslaught Saga ended a lot of books initial runs but ones like X-Men just carried on going so it’s not really known yet how far they’ll go as Epics.

16 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The Onslaught saga is still my favourite comic book crossover, just narrowly beating the Age of Apocalypse. There's so much stuff going on and the end battle is stupidly epic. It's such a shame they ruined the Onslaught character by constantly bringing him back. The Red Skull version was the last straw.

This is hilarious. I was checking out comic book news this morning and look who’s coming back soon…

x-men-the-onslaught-revelation-cover-002

Like clockwork. :D 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is hilarious. I was checking out comic book news this morning and look who’s coming back soon…

x-men-the-onslaught-revelation-cover-002

Like clockwork. :D 

Have you read much of this new X-Men era? I know it’s been really popular with people but I haven’t enjoyed it at all. Nobody seems to be in character at all and it’s making the stories unbelievable (or at least more so for a world with god like mutants 😆).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Have you read much of this new X-Men era? I know it’s been really popular with people but I haven’t enjoyed it at all. Nobody seems to be in character at all and it’s making the stories unbelievable (or at least more so for a world with god like mutants 😆).

I was going to jump in as soon as the Hickman run started but I never bothered. The last stuff I read was the Age of X and that’s only because I love the X-Man character.

Looking at my collection the last modern era X-Men book I bought was Second Coming. I kept up with most of the stories digitally going forward from that but I’ll have to rebut them all at some point. Other than getting the Epics whenever I can I’m now focusing on the late 90s/early 2000s trades. Some should be easy enough to get but some are out of print already.

house-of-xpowers-of-x-jonathan-hickman-9x-men-by-jonathan-hickman-vol-1-jonathanx-men-by-jonathan-hickman-vol-2-jonathangiant-size-x-men-by-jonathan-hickman-vol

After our conversation earlier I decided I'd give the current Hickman era of X-Men another try. I'm not really collecting any ongoing stories at the moment so it'd be nice to be relatively up to date with the X-Men.

Other than some preorders which are mostly Epic Collections I think this'll be it for comics this month. Already spent quite a bit! It's an expensive and addictive hobby.

EDIT: Unless those Onslaught books come back in stock, then I might let myself get those as some are hard to find.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

Managed to find a copy of X-Men/Avengers Onslaught Vol.1 on ebay so ordered that. If it's the correct version then I'll order the rest later this week. It's a shame these complete versions are harder to find. If I just wanted the X-Men sections of the book then it's a lot simpler (and cheaper!).

28 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Managed to find a copy of X-Men/Avengers Onslaught Vol.1 on ebay so ordered that. If it's the correct version then I'll order the rest later this week. It's a shame these complete versions are harder to find. If I just wanted the X-Men sections of the book then it's a lot simpler (and cheaper!).

They've just shoehorned/marketed it as an Avengers thing in recent years due to their popularity. They had very little to do with the event other than the end game. During the time of release all the important comics had Phase 1 and 2 on them and all ones that had very little to do with it were marked with Impact 1 and 2. Most, if not all of the Marvel universe outside of the X books were Impacts.

I think the fact that it leads into Heroes Reborn (shudders) is enough for the link. 

Thankfully vol.2&3 are a lot easier to get but I’ll have to start working on finding Road to Onslaught next.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I think the fact that it leads into Heroes Reborn (shudders) is enough for the link. 

Thankfully vol.2&3 are a lot easier to get but I’ll have to start working on finding Road to Onslaught next.

Ah, Heroes Reborn…what a mess that was. Think I’ve still got the Heroes Return comics/mini series up in the attic somewhere.

What’s included in Road to Onslaught? Things like Fatal Attractions?

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ah, Heroes Reborn…what a mess that was. Think I’ve still got the Heroes Return comics/mini series up in the attic somewhere.

What’s included in Road to Onslaught? Things like Fatal Attractions?

Looks like it’s stuff after Fatal Attractions. That’s last Uncanny issue is 304 and Road to Onslaught is Uncanny 322-332 (with other books peppered in).

• Thanks 1

@Hero-of-Time have you read any Generation X? I haven’t but have got their first Epic Collection preordered for later this month and I’m debating cancelling it to put the money towards some of these other X books.

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Looks like it’s stuff after Fatal Attractions. That’s last Uncanny issue is 304 and Road to Onslaught is Uncanny 322-332 (with other books peppered in).

Weird. I get why Uncanny 322 is there (first real hint of Onslaught) but most of the other issues have very little to do with him. IIRC, a lot of the storyline in those issues revolves around Psylocke getting the Hell beat out of her (fantastic issue) and then some of the team trying to get her healed with the Crimson Dawn. Decent story arc and Joe Mads art is always a joy to look at.

• Like 1