NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

I had a trip to Forbidden Planet yesterday morning and picked up a few things.

Injustice Year 4 was finally released. I hate how these collections only pop up once a year but at least there's only 1 left from the first run. I really enjoyed Year 4. Introducing Gods into the mix had some interesting results. It's always good to see Superman get his butt kicked. :D 

I picked up a Power Rangers graphic novel called Soul of the Dragon. It was a self contained story that was about Tommy and his son. This was another good read. I'm early awaiting the release of the Shattered Grid graphic novels and this has held me over nicely.

I ended up buying Uncanny X-Men 1-12 and a bunch of the Age of X-Man comics. The X-Men Disassembled event that featured in issues 1-10 was fantastic. I'm a sucker for anything related to X-Man and the Age of Apocalypse so this storyline was right up my street and I loved it. The ending of it all and the events in issues 11 and 12 have set things up for future storylines and it's great to see a certain X-Man back in action. He was always right. :p 

17 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I had a trip to Forbidden Planet yesterday morning and picked up a few things.

Injustice Year 4 was finally released. I hate how these collections only pop up once a year but at least there's only 1 left from the first run. I really enjoyed Year 4. Introducing Gods into the mix had some interesting results. It's always good to see Superman get his butt kicked. :D

Oh yeah, I remembered that as well the other day. My birthday is coming up soon so I'm not buying it yet but will ASAP. I also find it crazy that the collections come out so slowly, they finished Year 5 last year, just release it! 

• Like 1

I was looking at my trade collection over the weekend, sitting in a box in my wardrobe all sad. I really do miss collecting physical comics :(  I need a full room converted with shelving on every wall so I can display them again!

Took advantage of one of the latest Comixology sales the other day and bought:

Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Spider-Man No More
Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Venom
X-Men Epic Collection: Lonely are the Hunted
X-Men Epic Collection: The Gift
Immortal Hulk Vol 1: Or Is He Both?

I didn't think I would like the way they were doing these Epic Collection books at first, releasing everything out of order but I found it's actually quite nice to jump into random stories. I had bought the Essential collections before but always struggled with having to go through early writing styles early on so it's good to be able to bounce between decades.

Watching Endgame inspired me to try and rearrange everything again to try and get my comic collection back on display. Annoyingly though I've still only managed to free up one extra shelf for them so it'll fill up again pretty quickly.

Thinking about getting the Marvel Unlimited subscription again. I've dropped nearly all DC books now and only really buy stuff from Comixology so could probably save money this way. It's a shame it's 6 months behind but I do like to read a lot of back issues of stuff so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Well that didn’t last long. I think their smart panel view is better than the last time I used it but I just don’t like the service as well. I like the simplicity of just being able to know what I’m looking for and buy specific books from Comixology. Finding specific stories or just simply reading a book from the beginning one after the other just seems like too much hassle. 

It’ll probably cost me more but I’d rather just carry on buying the books from Comixology I think. It’s a shame their subscription service is US only. I’d definitely sign up for that.

Edited by Happenstance

Grabbed myself a couple of trades in the Marvel Christmas sale on Comixology

759207._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg781693._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg795213._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg765468._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg759212._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg786047._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg

765946._TTD_QL80_SX340_.jpg

Edited by Happenstance

Started re-reading Geoff Johns Teen Titans run this week. Such a good collection and getting me all nostalgic as that was when I was still really into DC.

Looks pretty good with the interactive choices. A nod to the original story with the vote.

Once again dug my comic collection out of storage to go back on shelves (it had been put back since I last posted about this in 2019) as I’ve had another comic reading resurgence with my Invincible re-read. Thought I’d look into filling in some of the gaps in my collection but so much is out of print now 😭

Also for some reason I am missing Ultimate Spider-man Vol.5. It has to be around here somewhere but I can’t think where else to look!

I love comic books but I find them so impenetrable. Not the big name collections obviously, but if you ever want to read a proper arc it’s so hard to know what’s good and where to start, and how to get a hold of it. I’ve managed the Wally West flash run, Green Lantern from Reboot through to Blackest night, and the Batman build up to RIP and Final Crisis. Haven’t returned to anything in years though, so would love some recommends.

I know you tend to get yours from Forbidden Planet so probably haven’t had much of a chance lately but have you bought anything new @Hero-of-Time?

7 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I know you tend to get yours from Forbidden Planet so probably haven’t had much of a chance lately but have you bought anything new @Hero-of-Time?

Nah. I was tempted to start picking up the X-Men comics once they all got relaunched but decided against it. Just as well as they’ve been scrapped and relaunched a few times since then. Gone are the days where you could start reading a series and they would end up reaching something like issue 300.

I do still need to pick up the final Injustice trade and you asking me the question has reminded me about that. Next time I put an order in at Amazon I’ll probably pick it up.

• Like 1

Grabbed a few more books now my physical collecting is alive and kicking. I expect I'll keep getting a lot of digital comics as well but as I said the other day, I would like to fill in as many gaps as possible.

B00FAQ5V30.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpgB00FRP6VIS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpgB01N9U15YS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpgB0099BGYLK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

• Like 1

Civil War 2 was so disappointing compared to the first. Loved Avengers vs X-Men though. Still think Gambit should have won his fight though. Dude got done dirty. :nono:

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Civil War 2 was so disappointing compared to the first. Loved Avengers vs X-Men though. Still think Gambit should have won his fight though. Dude got done dirty. :nono:

Civil War II just never really felt like it needed to be a Civil War event. It would have been more interesting if it was its own event based around the precognition stuff. 

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Civil War II just never really felt like it needed to be a Civil War event. It would have been more interesting if it was its own event based around the precognition stuff. 

Yeah, I felt they were just trying to cash in on the popularity of the first event.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I felt they were just trying to cash in on the popularity of the first event.

It’s like DC with Crisis events (another one rumoured for next year now 😆)

Ordered another Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection. Think that might be it for this month. Need to stop spending money on comics!

B071DHCLHL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

I really do like this Epic Collection series but I wish they didn't have such limited print runs. The reason I bought this one today was that it seems to be on it's way out and there's loads from my break in collecting that are now unavailable. Dunno what I'm gonna do about those.

Don't judge me!!!

81HFVPC5tXL.jpg

It's what I said earlier about the fact they go out of print so quickly. It has me paranoid that if I wait then I'll miss out on it. The good thing is though that this is the last one I can get until October and November unless somewhere manages to get new stock.

Got a pay rise today so decided I could afford a few more. Man of Steel vol.3 is a preorder but for 1st June so close enough!

superman-the-man-of-steel-volume-1-john-superman-the-man-of-steel-volume-2-john-superman-the-man-of-steel-vol-3-john-byrthe-final-night-karl-kesel-9781779509123

I already own the first two trades of Man of Steel in paperback but they've been out of print for years now and these are the hard cover versions that hold more. Final Night was an event comic that I had been trying to get hold of for years and it must have had a reprint during my time off collecting so I snapped that right up.

Edited by Happenstance

I’m just waiting for some Amazon vouchers to clear then I should be able to buy a load more trades. I’m debating at the moment whether or not to go for a load of the X-Men Milestones line which basically collect all the big X-Men crossover events over the years or just getting a random mixture of Marvel and DC stuff.

I've been looking for a way to read the old Archie Sonic comics. Also the old UK Sonic comics. I haven't really found a place to read them online. Looks like eBay and Amazon is the only way now.