NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

I think all the X-Men's stuff is explained in tie-ins or later on in the story. To be fair this has happened long before the cinematic universe became a thing. Even when the X-Men were the biggest thing Marvel had they still prefer to keep them to the side. When they start to get too integrated with the rest of the MCU they feel like they lose some of the persecution angle that is so important.

18 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think all the X-Men's stuff is explained in tie-ins or later on in the story. To be fair this has happened long before the cinematic universe became a thing. Even when the X-Men were the biggest thing Marvel had they still prefer to keep them to the side. When they start to get too integrated with the rest of the MCU they feel like they lose some of the persecution angle that is so important.

I always come back to the Onslaught saga and it's the same here. That was when the X-Men were at their peak, the whole Marvel universe was in danger and every hero/comic got involved. It was realistic in the sense of the comic book world. The world was going to hell and everyone pulled together. Seems daft that power house mutants wouldn't be lending a hand in this fight. It's infuriating. 

Finished Secret Empire. Garbage.

I also sat and read the Flashpoint books I'd picked up and I'm equally disappointed with both of these. They are advertised as Batman and Superman books, yet only a quarter of the book is about them. The rest is about a bunch of characters I could give a toss about. Yeah, it turned out to be a bad trip to FP. :( 

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Finished Secret Empire. Garbage.

Have you considered writing reviews for a living? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got myself all the available Man of Steel collections from the Comixology sale. I've been in the mood to read some Byrne era Superman recently.

DIG013074_1._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg499050._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg499055._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg501612._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg501622._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg503106._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpgDIG023512._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpgDIG015140_2._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg439274._SX125_QL80_TTD_.jpg

• Like 1

Amazon’s big Marvel kindle sale is back on at the moment, graphic novels going for stupidly cheap prices. Plus if you have a Comixology account linked then any kindle book you buy filters through to that library as well. I ended up spending loads the last time, this one I should be able to just top off my collection with the newer releases.

Edited by Happenstance

16 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I had heard that Stan Lee was ill but didn't know there seems to be a load of weird stuff surrounding it, like who is actually looking after him and why he isn't being treated in a hospital.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/05/j-scott-campbell-stan-lee/

I’d heard he was ill too, but this is the first time I’m hearing about this stuff. 

It’s a bit worrying, actually, because it feels and seems like something pretty shady is going on here, like someone’s trying to exploit him for whatever they can (whether it be a quick news story or otherwise) before it’s too late for them to do so.

I want the guys over at Marvel and Disney to start speaking up, because this genuinely seems worrying at face value. 

Get Robert Downey Jr. to start causing a ruckus on Twitter or something; they need to bring attention to the situation before, as they implied in that article, something bad happens. 

Just a heads-up: Bleeding Cool is a highly sensationalist website, and I wouldn't trust a word of any speculative article they put out. Every article/rumour I've ever read from them looks like it was written for a tabloid.

Is there another source on that?

I dunno, the majority of those articles are letters from the people working in the industry, not Bleeding Cool themselves.

Started putting some bids on old single issues of Spider-Man today. I still have no room for collecting physical comics and while I do still read all my digital comics, I’m just really missing my physical collection and there are some I’d like to own at the moment I have bids on Amazing Spider-Man #229 & 230 which is the “Nobody Can Stop the Juggernaut” arc and Amazing Spider-man vol.2 #36 which is the really good 9-11 issue.

Just finished reading Bendis' first issue of Man of Steel. It seems pretty good, I'll stick with it for a while.

23 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You bought anything new recently @Hero of Time?

Nah. Haven't been to FP in a few weeks now and there's nothing that's taken my fancy as of late. I'm still waiting for DC to release the complete Year 4 Injustice graphic novel. It takes them ages to release them as a complete collection. :( 

You? Surely you picked up some stuff at Comic Con?

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. Haven't been to FP in a few weeks now and there's nothing that's taken my fancy as of late. I'm still waiting for DC to release the complete Year 4 Injustice graphic novel. It takes them ages to release them as a complete collection. :( 

You? Surely you picked up some stuff at Comic Con?

Nah, my problem is that nearly everything I buy now is digital so I don't tend to buy much at comic con anymore (maybe not such a bad thing I guess, meant I could buy a new phone afterwards).

I'm in the middle of reading the John Byrne Man of Steel collections. I seem to be a lot more tolerant to the older style of writing this time around so I've been enjoying them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm still waiting for DC to release the complete Year 4 Injustice graphic novel. It takes them ages to release them as a complete collection. :( 

Same here. I guess they want to sell as many copies of the individual releases before collecting them but it sucks. Year 3 released in January so I'm expecting Year 4 to come next January.

On 6/1/2018 at 4:49 PM, Happenstance said:

Just finished reading Bendis' first issue of Man of Steel. It seems pretty good, I'll stick with it for a while.

Yeah, this was surprisingly enjoyable

Bought myself 2 more books today. I already own Hush in physical form but I'm slowly rebuilding my collection digitally and was in the mood to re-read it so figured why not.

DIG010047_2._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg608004._TTD_QL80_SX400_.jpg

I'm also planning on getting more of the Marvel Epic Collections series. I already have all the Amazing Spider-Man ones and want to branch out. Originally I was against them releasing them out of order but I ended up finding I quite liked bouncing around from story to story and era to era when reading them.

Edited by Happenstance

Never been a massive Hulk fan but I read The Immortal Hulk #1 yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's taken the character in more of a horror direction and works really well. I'm looking forward to reading more.

STL083819-300x455.jpg

Edited by Happenstance

Hmmm. All the Invincible trades are currently on sale on Comixology. I stopped collecting around 20 or 21 trades in when I realised I just didnt like Kirkman's style of writing anymore but it is tempting to get the rest now to see how it all ends.