NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Superman #5 cover.

Awwwww shit, the Hellbat suit is back. I am fucking DYING of excitement.

EqDmqBC.jpg

For reference....

3990515-batman+and+robin+(2011-)+033-009.jpg

What exactly is Supermans hammer made of that it doesn't melt?

Sorry. I know comic physics is different to normal physics.

Anyone read this...?

54FEA238-EB91-46D2-AB03-64E6BADE1BF7_zpscrv3zise.png

Having watched Batman: Under the Red Hood and read the comics pertaining to the events leading up to that film, I read the synopsis of the comic and figured I'd give it a go. I liked the first chapter and will definitely keep up with it to see where it goes.

I miss the Superboy Prime punch being the reason he was resurrected. It was nice and dumb lol.

Is anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed with Batman and Superman Rebirth? Each seemed to start well but they've not really gone anywhere as such, at least not carrying on from the events of Rebirth.

Marvel are knocking it out of the park with their comics compared to DC Rebirth I feel. Spider-Man (both Parker and Morales comics), Iron Man and Civil War II (of those I'm reading) in particular are amazing!

On a side note, loved this in the latest Amazing Spider-Man:

38991ACA-7A99-4062-80C6-73DD15C5D4BF_zps2z26iwyg.png

67E861D0-F3B7-4079-AA90-2EE7305FDC00_zps9rodjpwc.png

F7BCC240-5B76-422B-8B46-64DD77789B81_zps2zq1xuhc.png

Marvel are knocking it out of the park with their comics compared to DC Rebirth I feel. Spider-Man (both Parker and Morales comics), Iron Man and Civil War II (of those I'm reading) in particular are amazing!

I've been feeling the same, though my selection has been different. Ms.Marvel and both Captain America titles (Sam Wilson & Steve Rogers) have been really good at balancing comic book silliness and heavier themes, Squirrel Girl is just comedy and silliness all around, and the Vision series is a surprisingly good Urban Horror title. I also want to check out Black Panther properly, but I'm still waiting for issue 2.

Just good variety all around, and surprisingly easy to get into.

I thought about jumping into DC as well, but I guess this is a bad time for a new reader to jump into.

I thought about jumping into DC as well, but I guess this is a bad time for a new reader to jump into.

I'd say it probably is a good time as its another soft relaunch. Quality-wise I still dont think its all that good though. I was excited by all the Rebirth stuff but after that calmed down I found myself dropping books.

I'd say it probably is a good time as its another soft relaunch. Quality-wise I still dont think its all that good though. I was excited by all the Rebirth stuff but after that calmed down I found myself dropping books.

I checked out previews, and between Flash dealing with continuity stuff, Superman dealing with duplicates of Clark Kent & Lois Lane running around (not to mention a storyline heavily referencing the past), and Green Arrow being apparently in the middle of a storyline, I figured it's not a good time for a new reader (and fans in other boards pretty much told me this wasn't made as a jump-in point, but to mesh previous continuities together. Confusing stuff)

The Red Hood title looked good, though I might wait for the trades. With DC, I tend to go for trades/older books, anyway.

I've enjoyed the first two issues of Red Hoodand the Outlaws (Rebirth).

I'm still not thinking much of Bats, Supes and Justice League though... I just don't see why they dropped the Rebirth stuff without explanation.

Iron Man was good, I like how Marvel tie all the comics together even though they have their own storylines. It's done so much better!

Red Hood really surprised me. I absolutely loved it.

Also loving Supes and Action.

Titans is pretty good and I'm really looking forward to Teen Titans.

Have we talked about Invincible ending?

We havent spoken about it on here but I did manage to hear your scream from my house when it was announced.

The latest Flash was GREAT...

571F6459-F8E9-4E85-8195-A53B7EA1A6C6_zpscw6hrcv4.png

Red Hood and the Outlaws was awesome too!

Spider-Man (MM) was brilliant as well!

Just read #6 of The Flash. Dat reveal...I should have seen coming. Godspeed is rad.

Just read #6 of The Flash. Dat reveal...I should have seen coming. Godspeed is rad.

I like how Flash has always thought that as fast as he is, he's never quite fast enough, that he can't be in 2 places at once... and here is an enemy that is that fast!

I think it's great how they've made Godspeed have the speed that Flash wishes he could

So.. I normally don't venture out here, but I've just learned they're integrating The Watchmen (a.k.a. the only Western comic I've ever read) into the DC Universe. I mean, are they fucking retards? Oh wait, yes they are. Zack Snyder better not make the same mistake in the DCU. Though he probably will at some point.

Edited by Sméagol

So.. I normally don't venture out here, but I've just learned they're integrating The Watchmen (a.k.a. the only Western comic I've ever read) into the DC Universe. I mean, are they fucking retards? Oh wait, yes they are. Zack Snyder better not make the same mistake in the DCU. Though he probably will at some point.

Instead of 'learning', why don't you actually read it? Because it's really rather elegantly done and makes complete metatextual sense.

Rebirth is a deftly handled comic. It's superb.

Also, if Watchmen is the only Western comic you've read, why do you care exactly?

Instead of 'learning', why don't you actually read it? Because it's really rather elegantly done and makes complete metatextual sense.

Rebirth is a deftly handled comic. It's superb.

Also, if Watchmen is the only Western comic you've read, why do you care exactly?

Because I like Watchmen, and don't think it should've ever been integrated in the DC universe at all. It was its own story, and should not be continued. I feel like that's exactly missing the point.

Anyway, stuff like this is exactly why I don't read US comics. Too much stuff going on, and a backlog of 60 years of comics. Characters just can't die, they continue, being rebooted over and over.

I can handle the MCU, since it's using the film medium, it's inherently limited by various factors, ensuring it will never reach the scale of the comics universe.

It's why I liked The Watchmen. When the film came out, I heard about the comic, and how good it was, and since it was a standalone, I could read it, enjoy it, and be done with it.

Read an article about all the stuff Rebirth references, and I can not enjoy something if I have no clue about 75 % of the stuff going on.

@Sméagol

On the other hand, the original Watchmen novel isn't going anywhere. If I understand correctly, it's just Dr.Manhattan crossing dimensions, anyway (or at least that's what's been hinted). If that's the case, it's not so much a sequel/follow-up as it is a crossover.

This isn't even the first time they continued/expanded the franchise (DC released a few prequels at one point), and if those didn't make a dent in the original novel's legacy, I doubt this will.

That said, US comics can, indeed, be needlessly complicated at times. Rebirth in particular, since it's a streamlining of continuities, and one certainly needs a passing familiarity with the characters or events to keep up (Superman has been referencing a few past storylines, Batman still expects you to know who his supporting cast is, etc.).

Marvel has been doing yearly relaunches, in which they release a few new series at once, or assign a new author to a pre-existing one (so, they work almost like "seasons" of a TV show) and those are decent jump-in points, but it's a recent development.

There are plenty of good, mostly self-contained stories, though: Brain K. Vaughan's "The Oath" is a good example, and Tom King's excellent "Vision" series is also self-contained (there are references to past events, but they're kept brief). But of course, it's hard for casual readers to know which ones are accessible without word of mouth.

Because I like Watchmen, and don't think it should've ever been integrated in the DC universe at all. It was its own story, and should not be continued. I feel like that's exactly missing the point.

Anyway, stuff like this is exactly why I don't read US comics. Too much stuff going on, and a backlog of 60 years of comics. Characters just can't die, they continue, being rebooted over and over.

I can handle the MCU, since it's using the film medium, it's inherently limited by various factors, ensuring it will never reach the scale of the comics universe.

It's why I liked The Watchmen. When the film came out, I heard about the comic, and how good it was, and since it was a standalone, I could read it, enjoy it, and be done with it.

Read an article about all the stuff Rebirth references, and I can not enjoy something if I have no clue about 75 % of the stuff going on.

If you like Watchmen then you'll understand at its core it is a comic about the comic medium and the comics industry. And for the past 20-or-so-years it has cast an incredibly long shadow over the DC Universe (and it has unavoidably been a part of the DC Universe since Moore wrote it; it has influenced DC like no other work). You like Watchmen because it's its own story but the truth is, Watchman was created because of DC (and the industry as a whole); it literally doesn't have anywhere near the same impact as it would have if the statement that 'it was its own story' is true. It isn't missing the point, it is exactly the point.

To thieve a good Reddit comment about Rebirth...

"It's symbolic.

DC is using the Watchmen-verse as a symbol for the bad lessons comics writers took in the wake of Moore and Miller et al in the 80's. The attitude that "dark and gritty" was a substitute for actual good stories, or Didio's silly attitude about how miserable heroes are more interesting.

This whole issue was about meta-narrative."

Also, DC Comics has technically never had a reboot.

It may come as a surprise, then, to hear the DC Universe (DCU) has never been rebooted. While the company has absolutely tweaked its continuity, there's never been a full reboot on the entire universe. Not once. Geoff Johns, DC’s chief creative officer, recently remarked that the DCU has “an umbilical cord that goes all the way back to "Action Comics" #1, that connects the whole DC Universe." And that wasn’t just a catchy marketing phrase: it’s a fact.

This summer as DC rolled out its latest “Rebirth” line, which purports to restore lost connections to the past, it’s a good time to dive into the history of DC’s continuity and see how accurate Johns' remarks are. Has it really been one big story all along?

Before we dive in, it's important to understand the thought experiment known as the Ship of Theseus. Theseus wants to keep his ship in top condition. Whenever a plank rots, he replaces it. Once all the ship’s planks have been replaced, is it the same ship?

While this is a complex philosophical issue deserving its own discussion, for our purposes it’s fair to conclude, at least colloquially, it is the same ship. At each stage it remained the same ship as before. This is the definition of “the same” we use in everyday life. I’m the same person as when I was a kid, even though human cells are constantly dying and being replaced, like the Ship’s planks. Some might argue we’re not the same person, but by any colloquial, every-day definition we are. By extension, so is the ship and so is the DCU as we’ll see.

And the reason why you dislike it – it's wonderful and weird backlog of 75-years worth of comics – is precisely why it is a completely unique prospect that appeals to me. "[T]he DCU is one massive story, perhaps one of the biggest unending sagas humanity has ever told (yes, that includes As the World Turns). It evolves over time, but it hasn’t ended."

Also, there are plenty of stories within Rebirth that stand completely alone and are incredibly accessible.